• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Teusery

May 18, 2022
fhpd-firing-range2.jpg

www.fox2detroit.com

Cub scout leader claims Farmington Hills Police shooting targets were all Black men

Cox says she is not filing a lawsuit but is working to raise awareness of racial bias in police training.

The attorney says the results of the request show that Farmington Hills police is not using all the materials they ordered for target practice.

"They ordered this target - they had lots of groups, Caucasians, it was very diverse," Cox said. "Now how is it that you ordered these, but the only ones you are actually using is the Black men?"

Critics believe they have to speak out about this practice in hopes that it won't lead to racial profiling.

"Not only lead to racial profiling you had a Boy Scout troop in there, you had 8 and 9 year olds what are you teaching them?" she said.

fhpd-firing-range1.jpg

Annubis

Oct 25, 2017
In most places, simply bringing kids to a firing range would already be a faux pas.

Sirhc

Hasn't made a thread yet. Shame me.
Oct 27, 2017
I still can't fathom using an image of an actual person for target practice, fucking deranged, then you layer on the racist bullshit....ugh fucking cops man.

Dec 6, 2017
US
So many tasteless aspects in one, it's impressive. Kids to gun range to shoot real guns, photo of real person on target, photos of ONLY black people on targets. America gonna America, crazy shit

Mar 11, 2020
My boy scout's camp had a gun range of its own and we shot guns there during summer boy scout retreats. I don't see the big deal of showing off a range to some boy scouts, but i also came from a hunting family.

The targets on the other hand is insane.

MechaMarmaset

Nov 20, 2017
My boy scout's camp had a gun range of its own and we shot guns there during summer boy scout retreats. I don't see the big deal of showing off a range to some boy scouts, but i also came from a hunting family.

Might be more a context thing. Gun range for hunting/sport feels different than the police showing you the gun range. They aren't practicing for deer.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
I went to a gun range in Vegas and you had Obama posters and your generic 'black/latino gangster' targets blatantly being sold and shot.

Also reminds me of this scene in Atlanta pointing out the hypocrisy

Shadybiz

Oct 27, 2017

Yep, I was in the Scouts. The 2 summer camps we went to had rifle ranges; they had the kids firing little .22 single shot rifles; no magazines.

But the targets we used...were target-assed targets. Just circles with a bullseye in the center. There is no reason to have kids shoot at a target like this.

Desi

Oct 30, 2017
I still can't fathom using an image of an actual person for target practice, fucking deranged, then you layer on the racist bullshit....ugh fucking cops man.
yep and especially using images of real people for kids is fucked. Like this is just so easy for cops.
I went to a gun range in Vegas and you had Obama posters and your generic 'black/latino gangster' targets blatantly being sold and shot.

great scene still

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Thought about this Atlanta scene as well smh

Alavard

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

Yeah, even here in Canada, as a Scout we had a yearly event at a local gun club where we worked one-on-one with the gun club members to shoot rifles and handguns at targets (never humanoid shaped targets though, only circular score targets with rings and points values). The focus on safety and respect for the firearms was immense and I think it only instilled positive results in me.

But that's a far cry from this being led by a Police department with targets of black men. Despicable.

Mar 11, 2020
Yep, I was in the Scouts. The 2 summer camps we went to had rifle ranges; they had the kids firing little .22 single shot rifles; no magazines.

But the targets we used...were target-assed targets. Just circles with a bullseye in the center. There is no reason to have kids shoot at a target like this.
Yep that's exactly the kind of thing we had too. And just basic targets.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Bet those kids can't wait till they get their "survived a school shooting" badge.