• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Dec 2, 2017
In 2014, Dothan, Alabama police officer Lanice Bonds pleaded guilty to having sex with a 16-year-old student from Dothan High School, where he worked as a school resource officer (SRO) for over six years. He was sentenced to 10 years in prison.

Three years later, at the same school, another resource officer, Adrian Folmar, was arrested for engaging in a sex act with a 17-year-old student. As investigations progressed, another victim was found, and this time, she was 14 years old.

Bonds and Folmar appear to be part of a wider pattern of school resource officers being removed from their positions due to sexual misconduct. In late 2021, an anonymous source reached out to DAME with data collected from local news reports. Within that data alone, which DAME fact-checked, at least 440 school children have been sexually abused by school police at their school in the last 20 years. After consulting experts in the field and assessing the accuracy of this small sample size, DAME concludes that incidents of police sexual misconduct in schools are likely underreported.

This data reveals the abuses of power police are capable of in an educational setting, despite arguments that police make kids in schools safer by Republican elected officials like Senator Ted Cruz. While the reality of school shootings calls for action and new policy, current policies to place police in schools raise questions about accountability, access to victims, and power dynamics between children and state authorities. The numbers cited above indicate that there is widespread systemic abuse of power by police in schools, thus disputing the idea that police make children in school safer.

Both Bonds and Folmar were charged with the same Class B felony in Alabama: a school employee having sexual contact with a student under the age of 19 years. In the case of Bonds, this charge was disputed with the claim that the offending resource officer was not a school employee; rather, he was employed by the City of Dothan as a police officer and was paid by the city.

According to court documents, Bonds presented a memo from the Dothan chief of police that states that resource officers "are obligated to the Chain of Command of the Dothan Police Department and not to the administration of the school to which they are assigned." Though Bonds' appeal failed and he ultimately pleaded guilty, his defense demonstrates one of the problems with stationing police officers in schools—though this varies state by state and county by county, SROs are generally accountable to the police station and the city they work for rather than the school.

Andrea J. Ritchie, a police misconduct attorney and organizer whose writing, litigation, and advocacy have focused on the policing and criminalization of women of color, explains that this makes it difficult for police in schools to be held accountable for misconduct.

"Generally speaking, in my experience, school resource officers are under the control of the police department and not under the control of the school," Ritchie says. "In one case in New York City, the principal intervened in incidents involving the police and a student, and the principal got arrested. So it's really clear in those instances who's in charge, it's the cop in the police department. So they're accountable to nobody."

The hiring of resource police officers in schools started in the 1950s, but the practice only became widespread in the 1990s. The presence of SROs in education establishments has widely been credited to the 1999 Columbine shooting, supported by the idea that officers in schools are able to protect students from an active shooter as school shootings became more commonplace. After school shootings, it is routine for Republican politicians to demand armed cops be stationed in schools, claiming this will make children safer. However, according to a report by Learning for Justice, zero-tolerance policies spurred SRO programs in schools in the 1980s, in response to the perceived threat that school-based crime was on the rise.

In 2017, police officers were present in at least half of schools nationwide.

There isn't much research about police sexual misconduct in schools, but some scholars have tried to make sense of the issue. F. Chris Curran writes that SROs are rarely arrested, but when they are, it's usually because of sexual misconduct. According to 2017 research by Philip Stinson and Adam M. Watkins using the 48 search terms developed by Stinson on Google News Alerts, there were 32 arrests of school resource officers between 2005 and 2011 for sexual misconduct. Over half (56 percent) of these incidents occurred with students in the officers' own schools. A study commissioned by the US Department of Education revealed that out more than 30,000 public schools that had police present during this period, there were fewer than five arrests of school resource officers per year for sexual misconduct. Stinson and Watkins' study also emphasizes that police officers tend to not arrest other officers, often ignoring minor transgressions by their colleagues, whereas regular citizens doing similar transgressions would be arrested for their crimes. The data obtained by DAME suggests the number of sexual misconduct by SROs cases is much greater.

Ritchie says data like this is likely just the tip of the iceberg. According to the author and researcher, who has written a book about police violence against Black girls and trans folks, we are only able to access around 25 percent of police sexual misconduct cases in schools because of a gap in research around gender-based violence experienced by Black, brown, Indigenous, queer, and trans young people.

"Three quarters of rapes aren't reported; imagine how much higher that number is when the person that sexually assaulted you is the person you're supposed to report it to," Ritchie said. "I want to emphasize just how routine and mundane this is."

Research on sexual violence perpetrated by SROs is even more scarce, and Ritchie suggests that this is because most of the victims are likely to be girls of color.

In the wake of the Uvalde shooting in Texas, it's easy to demand the placement of armed police in schools for the protection of children who should have the simple privilege of going to school safely. However, Uvalde is the latest example of how authorities work to police civilians rather than protect them: after failing to stop the shooter from getting inside the school, ICE was called to the scene. Though federal immigration officials have declared undocumented parents won't be detained, the possibility of detainment and deportation during such a tragedy is unhelpful and terrifying.

School shootings are, unfortunately, a reality that Americans must face. However, the suggestion of placing police in schools—and the power police have over children, particularly those of color—should be thoroughly questioned.

In Dothan High School, where two SROs were removed from their positions for sexual misconduct in 2014 and 2018, another pattern can be observed. While removal of officers is possible, there isn't a system or a reporting mechanism that prevents new SROs from committing new cases of sexual misconduct. For Ritchie, after 20 years of advocacy against police violence against women and girls, the only solution is to take cops out of schools.

www.damemagazine.com

Police Are Being Removed From Schools for Sexual Assault - Dame Magazine

In 2014, Dothan, Alabama police officer Lanice Bonds pleaded guilty to having sex with a 16-year-old student from Dothan High School, where he worked as a school resource officer (SRO) for over six years. He was sentenced to 10 years in prison. Three years later, at the same school, another...

ACAB. Absolutely despicable behaviour by cops yet again.

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
If I was a parent I wouldn't want my kids anywhere near police personnel for sustained periods of time, they're dangerous animals. School officers are an awful idea.

thetrin

Oct 26, 2017
Atlanta, GA
So we won't get rid of guns, so we put cops in school, but the cops aren't stopping the guns, AND they're now sexually assaulting the students.

Fucking hell.

rusty chrome

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Imagine the conversations these cops are having on their donut breaks about the underage girls they're attracted to 🤢

Cops are disgusting

SuperBoss

Oct 25, 2017
"at least 440 school children have been sexually abused by school police at their school in the last 20 years. After consulting experts in the field and assessing the accuracy of this small sample size, DAME concludes that incidents of police sexual misconduct in schools are likely underreported."

holy fucking shit...

Kadzork

Has got mad skills!!
Oct 27, 2017
No wonder we "need" goddamn good guys with guns.

Despicable - ACAB.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
Yeah, that tracks to what I would assume. Letting a bunch of cops walking around school with little to no accountability was never going to lead to anything good

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
You mean its not a good idea to put insecure, violent meatheads with very little training around children? Who could have seen this coming?

Gigglepoo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Imagine using the defense "but I'm not technically a school employee!" after raping a minor.

Hrodulf

Oct 25, 2017
The only answer we ever get when school shootings happen is to make schools more like prisons, with metal detectors, single points of entry/exit, and more of these power tripping fuckers that like to abuse kids (in various ways), but when it comes to an actual shooter situation, these cowards are the first ones to run.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
Ive seen a middle aged police officer successfully holla at a 14 year old outside of a Mcdonald's. It was after a parade in a shadier part of a neighborhood when I was looking for an ATM, saw him do the whole caress on arm neck thing and saw her into it.

You know the four letters.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
You know, now that I think about it...they have all the power and the ability to pin kids to lockers or the floor and cop feels/grope.

I'm not at all shocked to hear some have taken the opportunity to do just that under the guise of, "pat downs" and "contraband checks".

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
coaches and teachers, so why wouldn't cops? they're not perfect and police already commit sexual assaults in the streets and sometimes get convicted.

imagining schools would be different would be fantasy.

GungHo

Nov 27, 2017
I call bullshit. Cops were patrolling the halls of my schools many years before Columbine happened.

Say what it really is.
Yep. They were digging through our lockers and going through our cars constantly. They had dogs come through that would magically "hit" on the cars and lockers of kids they didn't like (e.g. minorities and emo kids). They'd tear through our things, throw them in the hall/parking lot, and leave a crying, scared kid to put it all back together while they were laughing. They said it was "war on drugs", it was just bully shit. The parents would try to raise hell over it, but the school admin and town administration would just throw up a blue wall.

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
The chain of command is totally fucked, just releasing the pigs to have free reign on school kids

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Good thing Biden ran on a "more cops in schools" platform

*sigh*
Liberals like police just as much as conservatives do. Every single time there's a chance to actually start working towards alternative methods of community security they will bolster their coffers and stroke their egos without fail.

AllChan7

Tries to be a positive role model
Apr 30, 2019
I'm not remotely surprised. It's sad and it's the reason I've always felt uncomfortable about cops at school even as a teacher

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
I was shocked at first reading the headline, but the more I think about it, it makes perfect sense.

These power-tripping cops already abusing their authority over others, and you put these cops in a position where they have even less accountability and more authority dealing with harassing teens over petty shit most of the time, and it's an environment that predators will flock to.

TheKeipatzy

Oct 30, 2017
California for now
Been going on for so long I remember hearing horror stories about sros doing this stuff for those younger than I it's like I extreme common problem.

The worst part is it's like it's an expected thing from them. Needless to say for my rather privileged private school upbringing.. made me hate the schools I was at more...

Tryphosa

Dec 22, 2020
I worked as an office aid and the cop on duty was openly sexist pig and when I tried to bring it up they just removed me from the position and gave me an in school suspension where the same cop was over seering all the suspended people. He gave me no peace for those 3 days I was too scared to say anything more because he told me he would arrest me.

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
🐷
I worked as an office aid and the cop on duty was openly sexist pig and when I tried to bring it up they just removed me from the position and gave me an in school suspension where the same cop was over seering all the suspended people. He gave me no peace for those 3 days I was too scared to say anything more because he told me he would arrest me.
ACAB.

I wish I can live long enough to see police defunded. Highly doubt it's happening in the next 100 years. It's the most important vestige of white male superiority left.

AntoneM

Oct 25, 2017
We need are people without the power to arrest, but with cameras so that they can break up violent (non-weapons based) social situations and then call on backup for people with the authority to use lethal force. The ones with the power to shoot to kill should be detectives or some kind of associates degree on how to police violent situations. Then the non-violet stuff should be handled by social workers (who should be paid more and get the same benefits as police officers).

Big Powder

Oct 25, 2017
The truancy officer/criminal justice teacher at the high school I attended wrote a bunch of sexual letters to his step-daughter (who was ~14 or 15), a fellow student and friend, and she committed suicide, which brought all of it out in the open. He just quit his job, moved a few hours away, and managed to work his way up to police chief. They finally dropped him a few years ago, but it blows my mind that with all of that in his history he was able to just move and another branch not only hired him but allowed him that much success. It makes me sick to my stomach. As far as I can tell, other than not being able to show his face in this town again and having to start his life over, he didn't suffer any real consequences even though he was writing sexually explicit letters trying to convince his step-daughter to crawl into bed with him and stuff, ugh, just the thought of it makes my skin crawl. What a piece of shit.

ACAB is right.

Sunster

The Fallen
Oct 5, 2018
Making schools more like prisons is definitely the goal, replete with abusive cops prison guards.
Makes a lot of sense when you're a country that has for-profit prisons. prisoners are a commodity in the US and we need to keep the school to prison pipeline flowing.

There is no evidence of cops at schools having any benefits. They only bring harm. Defumd the police, for real.

John Oliver's video on SROs was only a month ago.

View: https://youtu.be/KgwqQGvYt0g

Never forget what that SRO did in the Parkland massacre. They are beyond useless.

am I reading this right? Your school gives in-school suspensions to faculty?

Judau

Oct 28, 2017
What's wrong with just having hall monitors? Or am I misunderstanding the purpose of hall monitors? Why have dickheads with infamously little to no accountability present in schools for any significant amount of time?

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
My opinion of police officers across the board has declined so much in the past 10 years, I honestly feel safer when they're NOT around.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
I distinctly remember there being drama at my high school because one of the cops impregnated a girl there and I think she dropped out and they got married. He got fired, but I'm pretty sure there was something shady that happened with his replacement too, I just forget what it was.

Thordinson

Aug 1, 2018
Absolutely disgusting. I'm not surprised, sadly. School cops were always trying to flirt with students when I was in school.

What's wrong with just having hall monitors? Or am I misunderstanding the purpose of hall monitors? Why have dickheads with infamously little to no accountability present in schools for any significant amount of time?

To punish students. It keeps the school-to-prison pipeline in tact, expels more students, and allows cops to harass students physically and mentally. There is no need for cops in schools.