• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Askherserenity

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
I understand where you're coming from but most people are ok with games being turn based. Think of what this would do to the (huge) competitive scene. The amount of work to get it done just right and it still be strategic as Pokemon is now, would be insane and chances are that it just wouldn't work.

They can have a separate game for that which no one would mind.

We don't need every game to be an action RPG.

It's the same reason why DQ will never go straight up real time.

Soiks

Oct 27, 2017
This sort of idea gets posted every few months and it's always terrible.

Part of the reason Pokemon is a success is it's accessibility and optional depth and the battle system is no exception. Plus, the argument for the style set out in the opening post doesn't even sound particularly fun.

Oct 26, 2017
The combat of the mainline Pokemon RPGs do not need to change from their turn based nature. If it's not broken, it does not need fixing.

Ex-Psych

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Now see, this works in FF7R because it only has a handful of characters you play as.

Pokemon has....too many pokemon for this system to be implemented for.

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
They can't even put all of the pokemon in the game

I think they're (and I'm) good.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I never said as much but weve had 20 years of the same combat experience, why not evolve? Their gimmicks like dynamax are poor and if they want to change things they should do so completely.
Things like Dynamax, Z Moves, and Mega Evolutions all fit within the existing system though, they're just minor and usually optional features. Something incorporating the elements of ATB would be a complete overhaul of the combat system. Pokémon is formatted to be an accessible and introductory experience for people not typically into JRPGs, and the combat has never really been the star attraction of the series anyway. I think fundamentally changing the gameplay in this manner would be far more alienating to existing fans that it would be attractive to potential newcomers.

lightning16

May 17, 2019
Pokemon's battle system is the best thing about it, and it in combination with its huge cast of Pokemon has created an actual competitive scene. They'd be absolutely stupid to move towards action combat.

There's still a ton of untapped potential with the current battle mechanics that the main games don't touch, though. Enemy trainers in the games don't have well-constructed teams. There's no synergy from Pokemon to Pokemon. There's arguably not even any synergy from move to move within a single Pokemon. They don't utilize battle items or held items in any kind of meaningful ways. The concept of setting up a Pokemon with buffs barely exists. Even the strongest trainers in the game don't seem to have any thought into having Pokemon to check the weaknesses of others on the team outside of incredibly basic examples of "oh here's a water gym leader, let's give them a Whiscash in case they have an electric type." They don't use weather or terrains. Double battles barely exist in the main games, which themselves are extremely interesting and have a ton of potential strategies. I can probably count on my fingers how many times I've battled a trainer that's swapped Pokemon instead of just watching their current Pokemon inevitably faint regardless of how bad its matchup is.

Basically the series just could use a hard mode. The battle system in these games are great but it's not utilized well in the main games.

Last edited:

Champion

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Tampa, FL
tenor.gif

Wise

Oct 27, 2017
I would quit pokemon if it was like that

Don't get me wrong ff7 looks unreal and it's day 1 for me but I don't want pokemon to be like that

tenderbrew

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Nah. Of all the Pokemon takes, that the battle system needs to be overhauled is actually the weakest take. It's nearly perfectly optimized. Happy for spinoffs to try new stuff though. Loved Pokken.

Seesaw15

Oct 27, 2017
Not even a pokemon fan but that sounds terrible. Turning Pokemon into a hybrid character action game seems misguided.

AnansiThePersona

Started a revolution but the mic was unplugged
Oct 27, 2017
I agree in the sense of active-time combat where status ailments are timed and moves that are stronger take more time to load in the ATB meter. That could be very interesting

Oct 26, 2017
Appalachia
I'm totally into it, I don't hate turn based combat but I am so over how Pokémon just stand there staring at each other waiting for the trainer to give them commands. But people seem to like that?

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
They're already having a hard time with turn based combat, you're trying to kill GameFreak here, dude. ;p

Mikebison

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure they need to look to FF7R for inspiration, but they should do something. Pokemon's combat has been dull as bricks for 20 years. One of the worst turn based combat systems out there, it has nothing about it that's interesting.

Much prefer something like SMT's press turn.

Oh, and the competitive scene people are talking about somehow manages to be even more dull.

OP
OP
Cryptosporidium
Oct 25, 2017
canada
Things like Dynamax, Z Moves, and Mega Evolutions all fit within the existing system though, they're just minor and usually optional features. Something incorporating the elements of ATB would be a complete overhaul of the combat system. Pokémon is formatted to be an accessible and introductory experience for people not typically into JRPGs, and the combat has never really been the star attraction of the series anyway. I think fundamentally changing the gameplay in this manner would be far more alienating to existing fans that it would be attractive to potential newcomers.

This is a good counter imo, I agree it could alienate many fans

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
Then there would be no Pokemon transfers from older generations at all a la Gen 5 with all the work required...

Slamtastic

Oct 26, 2017
Also Pokemon shouldn't be an ARPG, it should be an SRPG/TRPG.

Take the double battles and hazards/weather/terrain and ramp them up by 100 with meaningful positioning and environmental factors and multi Pokemon synergies.

OP
OP
Cryptosporidium
Oct 25, 2017
canada
Pokemon's battle system is the best thing about it, and it in combination with its huge cast of Pokemon has created an actual competitive scene. They'd be absolutely stupid to move towards action combat.

There's still a ton of untapped potential with the current battle mechanics that the main games don't touch, though. Enemy trainers in the games don't have well-constructed teams. There's no synergy from Pokemon to Pokemon. There's arguably not even any synergy from move to move within a single Pokemon. They don't utilize battle items or held items in any kind of meaningful ways. The concept of setting up a Pokemon with buffs barely exists. Even the strongest trainers in the game don't seem to have any thought into having Pokemon to check the weaknesses of others on the team outside of incredibly basic examples of "oh here's a water gym leader, let's give them a Whiscash in case they have an electric type." They don't use weather or terrains. Double battles barely exist in the main games, which themselves are extremely interesting and have a ton of potential strategies. I can probably count on my fingers how many times I've battled a trainer that's swapped Pokemon instead of just watching their current Pokemon inevitably faint regardless of how bad its matchup is.

Basically the series just could use a hard mode. The battle system in these games are great but it's not utilized well in the main games.

Actually fuck my thread, if they actually did good AI and had these kind of changes thatd be WAY more dope.

But theyll never stop having AI do random moves..

milkyway

One Winged Slayer
May 17, 2018
I'm playing the original FF7 for the first time and I really don't like the real time combat at all. If Pokemon was to try a new form of combat (preferably for a spin-off) then I'd prefer something that was full on action or like a mostly-action RPG sort of thing like Nier Automata.

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
The hybrid Pokemon game you are looking for already exists. It's called Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch and it's actually getting a re-release this September.

One of my all-time favorite RPGs. Let the Pokemon series stick to the OG turn-based battles though. I was already pretty bummed when they dropped it from FF7R...

Apr 27, 2019
FF7Rs mixture of turn based and real time action is absolutely brilliant.

Imagine taking that idea and implementing it to pokemon. Run or fly around doing basic atks or basic special atks to charge up your 4 bars of meter to then use one of your 4 chosen moves like say hyper beam or energy ball. Moves have different meter requirements and have cooldown. Using hyper beam will say use 4 bars of meter and then have a set cooldown so that you cannot over use it. Status ailments like paralysis will slow down meter gain and increase cooldown. Hits and missed atks will be chance based. You cannot block atks but there will be a chance you can dodge or that the atks miss just like in old pokemon games.

This system allows strategy to still be paramount and would still be usable for competitive pokemon.
This makes about as much sense as requesting that Magic The Gathering or Hearthstone take notes from FF7R.

fhqwhgads

Oct 28, 2017
Era really loves their "X game would be much better if they gave it the combat system from Y game" takes.

Linde

Banned
Sep 2, 2018
I'm not sure they need to look to FF7R for inspiration, but they should do something. Pokemon's combat has been dull as bricks for 20 years. One of the worst turn based combat systems out there, it has nothing about it that's interesting.

Much prefer something like SMT's press turn.

Oh, and the competitive scene people are talking about somehow manages to be even more dull.
It's not dull though? It's one of the best most polished turn based systems out there and had evolved an exciting metagame
It can be as simple or as complicated as you wish

The in game ai and team comps suck, but that's about it

alexi52

Oct 28, 2017
I and many others prefer turn base RPGs, not every rpg needs to have real time action

Deleted member 26156

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
For all the problems Pokémon has, its battle system is FAR from one of them. I don't get why people want it to change so badly.