• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ThisIsBlitz21

Oct 22, 2018
Sun/Moon:
has a much better art style
better soundtrack (X/Y was so forgettable)
Better Story/Characters (I think S/M story is a bit overrated, but it's still leaps and bounds better than X/Y)
Better Region (Kalos is the blandest region we've got so far)
Better difficulty
It's all around just better in every way except the PSS --> Festival Plaza Downgrade

Pokemon X/Y is garbage tier, and S/M is decent (though both are dissapointing to varying degrees, neither stands up to any of the DS games)

The DS era of the franchise was the absolute peak in quality that won't be matched for a while if ever
^ this fellow is correct.

FRS1987

Oct 31, 2017
New Jersey
I stopped at ORAS but I remember enjoying X/Y. I loved the PSS system and other features it brought to the game, along with things like EV training made easier. It had a lot of ambitious ideas and gave us Mega Evos which I liked.

Oct 25, 2017
Haha, I meant going forward, similar to how BotW kinda expands upon the original Zelda's sense of figure it out yourself adventure.
I don't keep up with Pokemon anymore but if there is one thing GameFreak proved again and again is that they are terrible at preserving or reiterating elements of past entries. If there's a drastic change in staff, maybe.

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
I'll go further and happily admit that Gens 6 and 7 are among my favorites in the series history, probably just behind 3. I absolutely loved XY and while the constant railroading in SuMo was annoying, I really liked all of the characters and their journey. It's easily the most enjoyable supporting cast in the series.

Larrikin

Oct 25, 2017
I say that too.

XY did so many amazing things and is the only set of new designs I've liked overall since gen 3.

Cool region. Cool Dex. Non invasive story that lets you get on with the actually interesting parts of pokemon. Plus some of the best features of all time i.e PSS, Friend safari etc.

Gen V was a disappointment. Gen VII was a mistake. Gen 6 is that sweet spot.

Deleted member 8001

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
X&Y made me feel empty. Not from sorrow just...it was a really nothing game in the series. It has good music but it's really forgettable.

Sun and Moon had memorable characters that made me actually care about them and they did more unique things with the world.

Kickfister

May 9, 2019
I agree, but mostly because I got totally bored with sun/moon after a couple hours. I finished X/Y because it felt like a fresh experience, but it wasn't my favorite in the series primarily for difficulty reasons (the lack of it). It's been ages since I played either game though, not holding onto this opinion too strongly.

My personal favorites in the series are black/white and gold/silver pretty equally a think, with ruby/saphire coming in second.

No, endgame isn't a compelling argument for me at all regarding the quality of a pokemon game if the casual experience has nothing of substance.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
They just don't make any sense. It should have just been a permanent evolution. Not a digivolution. They added nothing to the SP.
Being a permanent evolution is a lot more shallow when it comes to battles and would be harder to balance. Having to give up the held item slot, not knowing which Pokémon on the enemy team will mega evolve, and other factors play a big strategic role.

Deleted member 8001

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I think out of all the mainline Pokemon games X&Y is just...truly lacking. The story is barely there, the map was barely there, the side content was next to nothing. The rival was the blandest of all. The characters don't have you feeling anything for them. Everything you could say is great about a Pokemon game is not in this entry.

If anything it really is like Sonic Forces. Not really offensive but it's cookie cutter and it feels like they didn't try much at all. There's a lack of heart put into this title, it certainly feels empty and rushed.

Nax

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 10, 2018
Being a permanent evolution is a lot more shallow when it comes to battles and would be harder to balance. Having to give up the held item slot, not knowing which Pokémon on the enemy team will mega evolve, and other factors play a big strategic role.
Yeah, my suggestion is not a great solution either. Just made more sense in the universe. If I was ever threatened by a Mega, I just used my own Mega. So there wasn't really any strategy.

KraytarJ

Nov 14, 2017
I have a bit of an irrational soft spot for X/Y but really all those games excel at is replayability because of the massive regional dex. Sun/Moon on the other hand have a pretty engaging story with the best cast of characters in the series. The online system is also better in gen 6 than 7 but I don't interact with that stuff enough for it to make enough of an impact.

Oct 26, 2017
To me SM's story is even better than BW, which only got good at the very end. Seeing Cheren and N ramble about truth and ideals for most of the game is the opposite of good writing.

Good writing isn't just about dialogue, it's about character progression, and whether the story is paced well and actually makes sense as we progress from one plot point to the next. You could do the same thing with SM as you said about BW and reduce it to Lillie rambling about "lol Nebby get in the bag" and make it a point to say that's the opposite of good writing.

1) My problem with Sun and Moon is that character "development" (if we can even call it that) is completely artificial and hollow. Why? Because it's completely centered around the MC. There's no agency for characters like Hau and Lillie to grow into their own since if you removed MC from the story, they would be the same from the beginning to end.

Whereas in Black and White, what you call N and Cheren rambling on about "truth and ideals" (which isn't actually the case. N is the one who talks about it yes), is them talking about their motivations and worldview. The difference is that their worldview naturally changes over time without the need for MC to artificially change them. Bianca starts out as an idealistic character with a very naïve view of her motivations and the world around her, until she hits a roadblock where her father does not want her to travel. She starts out interested in battling, before ultimately transitioning into being more of the explorative type and eventually becoming Professor Juniper's Assistant. Cheren on the other hand, is someone who views the Champion as a desirable title and does everything he can to work his way to that goal, whether it'd be focusing on acquiring powerful pokemon, knowing all of the battling concepts, and so on. It isn't until Alder asks him why he wants to be a Champion, that he starts to realize that his motivation was pretty hollow and only for the sake of being a Champion.

2) The story as a whole in SM has quite a few problems. First, there's the pacing issue that contributes to gameplay being interrupted every single time just to tell you what you already know (and this extends to the instances where you need to go to a certain location to trigger a story event). You can argue that Gen V doesn't have that problem because the DS wasn't 3D in the same way that the 3DS was, but that doesn't change that the story-telling was snappier and easier to digest without feeling like a complete pacebreaker.

Deleted member 8001

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
To me SM's story is even better than BW, which only got good at the very end. Seeing Cheren and N ramble about truth and ideals for most of the game is the opposite of good writing.
SM is certainly the best Pokemon story I've played. I'd argue it's the only "good" one in terms of writing. Most stories are kinda blank including BW1, but though BW1 pushes further here it's a rather edgy story that has not aged well with time.

Flon

Is Here to Kill Chaos
Oct 27, 2017
I can't even agree or disagree because the 1-2 of X/Y and Omega/Alpha's release was enough to put me off the mainline series again. The pacing, the way they treat you, the performance, movement, dialogue, difficulty... almost everything rubbed me the wrong way. I swear I'm not a crazy old man for thinking that Emerald was a much tighter focused, better paced and better playing game than the remakes.

Dysun

Oct 25, 2017
Miami
X/Y had the novelty of the revamped graphics for the first time. Sun and Moon is a bad game too, but it had alot more care and thought put into it. Both are subpar, historically

OR/AS is really the only good 3DS Pokemon game.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017

If you're talking about competitive its pretty easy to guess which pokemon will mega evolve from a team composition (since you can only have one people always use the same 4-5 OP ones)
outside of competitive is completely meaningless

having an entire team composed of strong pokemon (instead of a gimmick one) with several different items is far more strategic

Oct 26, 2017
SM is certainly the best Pokemon story I've played. I'd argue it's the only "good" one in terms of writing. Most stories are kinda blank including BW1, but though BW1 pushes further here it's a rather edgy story that has not aged well with time.

???

How is it edgy? Do you even know what edgy means or are you just using it as a buzzword?

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
Good writing isn't just about dialogue, it's about character progression, and whether the story is paced well and actually makes sense as we progress from one plot point to the next. You could do the same thing with SM as you said about BW and reduce it to Lillie rambling about "lol Nebby get in the bag" and make it a point to say that's the opposite of good writing.

1) My problem with Sun and Moon is that character "development" (if we can even call it that) is completely artificial and hollow. Why? Because it's completely centered around the MC. There's no agency for characters like Hau and Lillie to grow into their own since if you removed MC from the story, they would be the same from the beginning to end.

Whereas in Black and White, what you call N and Cheren rambling on about "truth and ideals" (which isn't actually the case. N is the one who talks about it yes), is them talking about their motivations and worldview. The difference is that their worldview naturally changes over time without the need for MC to artificially change them. Bianca starts out as an idealistic character with a very naïve view of her motivations and the world around her, until she hits a roadblock where her father does not want her to travel. She starts out interested in battling, before ultimately transitioning into being more of the explorative type and eventually becoming Professor Juniper's Assistant. Cheren on the other hand, is someone who views the Champion as a desirable title and does everything he can to work his way to that goal, whether it'd be focusing on acquiring powerful pokemon, knowing all of the battling concepts, and so on. It isn't until Alder asks him why he wants to be a Champion, that he starts to realize that his motivation was pretty hollow and only for the sake of being a Champion.

2) The story as a whole in SM has quite a few problems. First, there's the pacing issue that contributes to gameplay being interrupted every single time just to tell you what you already know (and this extends to the instances where you need to go to a certain location to trigger a story event). You can argue that Gen V doesn't have that problem because the DS wasn't 3D in the same way that the 3DS was, but that doesn't change that the story-telling was snappier and easier to digest without feeling like a complete pacebreaker.
This seems reductive, Lillie's and Hau's development was very organic and centered around the theme of family which also affected most other main characters. Obviously Lusamine's motivations for getting obsessed with UBs because her husband disappeared researching them and driving her kids away, Guzma making his own family in Team Skull since his parents used to beat him, Plumeria being the big sis of the grunts, Gladion not fitting in with them, Hau having to prove himself to Hala, Kukui and Burnet, Nanu and Acerola, as you can see almost everyone is related to someone and that affects their role. Lillie learns to be independent through taking care of Nebby and realizing that if she wants to save her mother she's gonna have to stop running away. The MC's function is to beat the people causing troubles via Pokémon battles.
Honestly it was all very layered and if I tried to go too much into details here it'd take me forever, but I'll admit that I could have been more specific when talking about my problems with BW's writing.

Heromanz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That requires them to be balanced in the first place.

feyder

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The DS era (Platinum, HGSS, BW, BW2) are the peak of the franchise.
Whew that is the truth huh. With the exception of Diamond/Pearl, which are still better than Gen 6 and 7, all the DS Pokemon games were phenomenal. Perfected everything the series had been building up towards.

Then XY came and sprinted in the complete opposite direction, with SuMo going even further.

AimLow

Dec 10, 2017
Ultra Sun was my first and is my only Pokemon game to date, so I cannot comment on the comparison. As a standalone, however:

- I personally do not see the handholding complaint. I mean, to me it seemed like standard tutorials in many modern games. Maybe this is something only obvious when being compared?
- I really enjoyed the story, although I did also just watch the S&M anime series, so I kinda knew a lot of it already and was already familiar with the characters.
- Loved the music! The battle theme still gets stuck in my head from time to time.
- I'm not an online competitive player, so I sidestepped that portion, but the festival plaza was neat.
- There was also a TON to do in post game.
- As for the interrupts and unskippable cutscenes, it was only an annoyance when I kept having to reload a tough area. Otherwise, did not bother me.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Sun and Moon is one of the slowest and most gated jrpgs. Its cumbersome story doesn't even have the production values to back it up.

Last edited:

milkyway

One Winged Slayer
May 17, 2018
All your points are valid but seeing as S/M has an overall more challenging playthrough, prettier graphics, and the story/characters are wayyyy better the main playthrough was more enjoyable to me. But X/Y does just about everything else better, has had way more of a positive impact on the series, and I'd say has a marginally better Pokemon offering. If SwSh takes the best elements of both games and has a slightly more robust post-game it'll be fantastic.

Deleted member 8001

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
???

How is it edgy? Do you even know what edgy means or are you just using it as a buzzword?
Natural Harmonia Gropius, A child raised by Pokemon manipulated to do an evil guy's bidding.
Weird Ferris Wheel scene.
Ghetsis theme in the style of One Winged Angel.
The intro the game being just...whatever this is taking itself too serious.

16VtmBB.png

It certainly is edgy among Pokemon stories.

Ballpoint Ren

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Sun and Moon is the low point of Pokemon and it's a gotdamn shame that we haven't gotten a game that had the same quality as Black/White 1 and 2.

That being said some of the characters in Sun and Moon are great, like Guzma, Lusamine, and Lillie.

GiantBreadbug

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
  • The fucking railroading: This is the biggest thing for me. Pokemon X/Y have the decency to at least pretend to get out of my way and let me do my thing. Sun/Moon are absolutely counter to this- they interrupt you all the fucking time. There are tutorials, long cutscenes, inane exposition, and an emphasis on storytelling that frankly, the game simply does not earn. The writing in X/Y is absolutely shit, as is the story, but at least it mostly stays in the background; Sun/Moon's writing, while marginally better, absolutely does not earn the emphasis that is put on it through the game's play time.

Gonna have a big disagree on the idea that XY aren't only marginally better than SM on this at all. And even if the frequency of the interruptions is slightly lower, the writing and structure of the story they were trying to tell was awful. This isn't even to mention the complete cardboard cutout characters, from your rivals, to Lysandre, to Dianthia. At least I was entertained when I was interrupted in Alola (the first time through, anyway).

• Better online: The Player Search System may be the best online suite any Nintendo published game has ever had. You can fight and trade with randoms, award or receive buffs, create introduction videos and a surprisingly extensive profile, send friend requests to randoms, engage in system-level voice chat, and more, far more. PSS turns X/Y into a faux-MMO, especially with its "Players In Proximity" feature. Meanwhile, Sun/Moon's contribution to online functionality is to take all of that and throw it out of the window, to replace it with... the Festival Plaza, a discrete physical location that exists independently and must be accessed from the menu to even activate online functionality, and then involves the player manually engaging online interactions with other players who are also using the specific service as them in the Festival Plaza to achieve anything. It's a shocking regression, not just from X/Y, but even Black/White.

Absolutely agree with this on all fronts.

• Team building is better in X/Y: The variety of Pokemon available in X/Y is staggering- over 450 Pokemon can be found in the wild easily, spread across a great range of types, letting you easily build a varied roster of more than six Pokemon to cycle in and out of. Sun/Moon on the other hand make bizarre decisions with Pokemon availability, locking entire creatures away behind obscure locations, or mechanics such as calling for help. Speaking of which...

I think this is a matter of individual taste? Especially for the bolded, as I don't play like that at all (I stick with a single team through the whole game). Though I don't think an extra +150 to SM's ~300 regional dex would hurt at all, I still found there to be plenty of new Pokemon I wanted to make into teams. I agree that some Pokemon are frustrating to find, but for me that's a lot more to do with certain rates rather than locations or methods. I actually quite liked the SOS mechanic and the ways that they made some encounters exclusive to them were quite clever I think. Rates def could have been higher there though.

• Team training is better in X/Y: X/Y make actually training your Pokemon far better and easier than Sun/Moon do. Super Training is a fantastic "beginner's feature" for EV training, but if you want to engage in actual Pokemon building, horde battles provide a far better way to EV train your Pokemon than the "call for help" mechanic in Sun/Moon, which has an element of randomness to it that you, as the player, cannot control.

Pretty much agree on all of these as well. I could have stood for Super Training to be speed up a bit to get EVs maxed, but overall I enjoyed that minigame more than getting EVs in battles. I find the PokePelago solution to be entirely acceptable though. EXP grinding is awful in SM though, but I think XY really isn't that much better. ORAS with its secret bases was incredible for this and should be a series staple for that reason, among others.

• QOL in X/Y: This is a theme through X/Y vs. Sun/Moon, as you may be noticing. X/Y is just far better at QOL than Sun/Moon is- the UI and menus are better, the game has the decency to truncate, for example, Mega-Evolution animations after the first time (versus Z-Move animations that you have to sit through the entirety of every single time), and everything is easy to initiate and do, versus in Sun/Moon, where things are randomly hidden behind tedious and obscure mechanics.

I don't really agree that XY has that much over SM in QOL. Outside of the atrocity of the Festival Plaza, I find the menus in SM to be a fair bit better. Being able to throw a Pokeball directly from the battle screen with X was a great idea as well. Z-move animations should absolutely be toggle-able separately from other move animations.

• X/Y tried to mix things up more: Apart from the shift to 3D, X/Y also made several other major changes to the series' longstanding formula: a new type (for the first time since Gold/Silver), alongside a brand new type chart, Super Training, Pokemon Amie, riding Pokemon, persistent online connectivity via the PSS, Mega Evolutions; Sun/Moon in most cases regress from this, and the only changes they bring to the table are Z-Moves (which are admittedly cool) and getting rid of HMs (also very cool).

I don't really give XY credit for a new type because that and the resulting type chart shakeup are things that get implemented from the top-down. There were some great new Pokemon of that type and I really like the type in general, but I don't necessarily hold that in my mind as something inherent to XY's novelty. Amie was great but I think Refresh was a great expansion with the grooming elements, even if the (frankly dull) minigames are gone. I think giving XY significant credit for riding Pokemon as a new thing is kind of dubious. Aside from Lapras, the places you can do so are restricted areas, and in the case of Rhyhorn and Mamoswine, the controls are incredibly sluggish. I consider those sequences some of the worst in the game. The proper ride system in SM is leaps and bounds ahead of what amounted to a (poorly executed) proof of concept in XY.

I think you're leaving out a few things that SM brought to the table such as, as I mentioned, an actual realization of riding Pokemon in the overworld, PokePelago, SOS battles (which I really like for shiny hunting purposes), and Totem battles. Another that I think goes overlooked is the addition of "special trainers" on various routes that you fight after you've cleared the rest, who actually use held items and appropriate strategies.

Ultimately I think, despite some of the head-scratching things they did, SM pretty much dwarfs XY for me. I'm coming at this from my own play style, though, which is to play through the game with a set team of six, then spend my postgame hunting shinies. Both games have similarly pitiful single player content beyond the credits, though at the very least SM has the UB missions. I also find both equally repulsive in replay value, as the main games are the definition of a slog. I've played both thrice, one time with each starter and the corresponding teams I built. But for that "first time through" experience, SM was fun enough while XY was the first time I've ever finished a Pokemon game and thought "that wasn't very good."

Last edited:

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Tbh to me they're all just Pokemon games. I couldn't begin to say which is better than the other.

Jahranimo

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
It's mostly forgettable but friend safaris were dope as hell. Got a shiny ivysaur through it.

Deleted member 2340

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fam, I couldn't agree more. I love XY the same I love Pokémon Silver.

Coming back into the series after a hiatus prelaunch of XY and playing those game felt freeing. The PSS added the difficulty I needed when the main game was feeling too easy.

I would breed a competitive perfect IV team, EV train them, put them in Pokémon Bank, restart the game, and go on a journey with that team with the PSS turned on saying I am accepting battles. It was legit and felt good battling with my young team online and losing most of that time only to start winning as my Pokémon started getting to higher levels and learning better attacks.

The 80$ I spent on X and Y and it saved me so much money as I didn't buy another game after it launch up until about a year and a half after.

Over 3 thousand hours played in its life time.

Vs

Sun/Ultra Moon just under 200 hours played. Mainly because I got into Shiny breeding.

Lusamine is cool in Sun/Moon and that's it.

XY had its problems but I found a massive amount of fun in those games.

Sun/Ultra Moon just aren't fun games to just play. There's no PSS and it's hard getting 6v6 vs randoms because of that. To start a new journey is to go threw that entire hand hoody dialog. I do not like Hau as a rival or character. Like kid, you just got your ass kicked in a battle stop smiling so damn much. ALL YOUR POKÉMON ARE FAINTED! Show some frustration!

I'm not saying the friends in XY were written good but they didn't bother me. It was a group and each member of that group did their own thing in game and I liked that about them. I just wish they were written better and given more screen time.

Just my two cents.

Dymaxion

Sep 19, 2018
I've replayed both recently, and I don't agree with that sentiment. XY, outside of its soundtrack, is very bland.

Crayolan

Oct 25, 2017
I have several issues with SM (USUM is better but doesn't fix the most glaring issues), but XY is far, faaaar worse. I'm just gonna repost what I wrote in another thread a while back:
It's the worst game in the series IMO

Every about the gameplay is dumbed down to a pathetic degree:
-Bosses almost never have more than 3 pokemon (and many, even late in the game have 1 or 2), until the E4, where they still only have 4 pokemon.
-AI and enemy movesets feel like a step down from gen 5, plus there are even fewer bosses with hold items than normal (usually they'll at least have an oran berry on their strongest mon lol)
-Mega evolution is added, but only serves as a way to let the player dominate the AI even more thoroughly, since you get to use them from very early on and there are only 2 instances of megas being used against the player in the main game.
-If you use pokemon amie, your pokemon will also randomly survive hits which would have killed them, shrug off status effects, get crits more often, and probably other broken stuff I'm forgetting
-EXP Share makes an already easy game downright busted. By the end of the game you'll be a solid 20 levels ahead of your opponents.
-Dungeon layouts are greatly simplified to the point of being boring. The worst example is the Kalos Power Plant, which is nothing but a diamond-shaped hallway with trainers in it. Gyms aren't nearly as interesting as in BW2.
-Individual route design isn't as good as gen 5 IMO. In gen 5, especially BW2, they'd often use elevation to create secondary paths and put a lot more room to explore in a route without actually making it bigger. Gen 6 routes are all pretty straightforward.
-The progression through Kalos somehow feels even more linear than Unova because there are so few optional areas explore. I think there are only like 2 optional routes in the entire game?
-You're forced to catch a legendary and put it on your team for the following fight. They did this in BW1 too, but it actually worked there because 1) you could just send it to the PC and choose not use it; and 2) Your opponent was using a legendary too! Seeing 2 opposing legendaries come out onto the field at the same time is awesome, having your OP legendary sweep a weak boss is not.

The game's pacing is awful:
-There are large stretches between the first 3 gyms, but then you get your mega ring and it's nearly back-to-back gyms up until the 7th gym.
-Team Flare does nothing of significance for 3/4th of the game, then all the Team Flare plot is suddenly thrown at the player all at once after the 7th gym. After barely having to do anything between several gyms you do 2 dungeons and fight Lysandre 3 times in a row before the next one.

Story/Characters suck:
-Your gang of dumb friends is obnoxious as hell
-Gym Leaders are back to being non-characters who do nothing but stand in their gyms all day, which is a big step down from gen 5.
-Diantha has no character and is the champion with the least presence in the story in the entire series.
-Why is a bunch of goofy weirdos like Team Flare trying to commit fucking genocide?!?!?
-The game tries to paint Lysandre as this tragic character but he comes across as a fucking lunatic. (To be fair, Archie/Maxie and Cyrus are lunatics too)
-It feels like there's more to the named Team Flare scientists but it's never expanded on. Probably something meant for Z?
-Everything about AZ is just...weird.

Other complaints:
-Very little postgame
-First game since Diamond/Pearl to be lacking an E4 rematch
-You have to waste a ton of time in the Battle Chateau just to be able to rematch gym leaders, and even when you do, they use even fewer pokemon than they did in their actual gym battles.
-Kalos as a region has very few memorable locations or landmarks, except for Lumiose City. However...
-Fuck Lumiose City
-Gen 1 pandering
-The visuals are...not very good. The pokemon models are fine though.
-Highly subjective, but I feel it has one of the weakest soundtracks in the series. Battle tracks are especially bad, most have no energy to them.

Good stuff:
-Very large regional dex
-Fashion
-Good 3d pokemon models

Feb 15, 2019
I really didn't like S/M so I'd have to agree. I absolutely couldn't stand the island challenges replacing gyms. Or Hau, I can't stand that guy. The Z moves were something I disliked too and as someone that actually liked megas, it was sad that they were put on the sidelines for Z moves. The Alolan forms more often than not were actually just stupid but as far as the original pokemon, I quite liked them. Golisopod is probably one of my favourite pokemon ever.

That being said I value S/M so little that just the Prozd Lysanderoth video has given me more entertainment than S/M.

That doesn't really mean X and Y are great though. We all know the real 3DS champ is ORAS.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I had a lot of fun with Sun and Moon's story the first time through, but it is an agonizing slog to play through again. It's why I can't finish Ultra Sun. It's the same shit, and the main reason it's so hard to play through again is because the long drawn-out unskippable cutscenes and constant removal of the player's control to go this way or do that thing or listen to this NPC monologue. It's dreadful.

X & Y at least still had the snappy progression that the sprite-based games had where things were less detailed and things happened faster as long as I was mashing the A button, and it was easy to replay it because of that.

Oh, and wild Pokemon calling for help brings SM/USUM down quite a bit. I just want to catch the damn Pokemon!

I forgot to mention the Battling aspects. Alola Pokemon SUCK! Why is everything so god damn slow? So many great designs all ruined because of crappy stats. Meanwhile, Kalos introduces the monsters known as Mega Evolutions, and has some above average to devastating standard Pokemon as well. It's freaking ridiculous how undercooked Alola's Pokemon were. Even most of the Alolan forms of Kanto Pokemon are underwhelming (not that there were a lot of good Kanto Pokemon to begin with, but still). The only things that truly stand out in the region are the Ultra Beasts, and I hope this isn't the last we see of the concept.

Goddamn, and who the hell cares about that stupid amusement park that disrupts your game just to connect to the online modes? What in god's name made Game Freak decide that the P.S.S. had to go? It was objectively their best online solution yet.

Last edited:

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
Agreed 100%. The tutorials and cutscenes and frequent interruptions in S/M were worse than Skyward Sword. I didn't survive more than 5 hours into either game.

X and Y were fucking amazing and received really well at release. I don't understand the backlash they seem to have been getting the last year or two.

Slacker247

Oct 27, 2017
One has Hau and the other does not. That difference alone makes one better than the other.

(Prefer X/Y but to be fair my memory of it super vague).