• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
To me SM's story is even better than BW, which only got good at the very end. Seeing Cheren and N ramble about truth and ideals for most of the game is the opposite of good writing.
I mean most of the SM story for awhile is just "nebby get in the bag, lillie acting timid, gladion being edgy, etc.
It's a game that completely disrespects players that loved the DS games
Xy did even more.

Rotimi

Banned
Dec 25, 2017
Jos , Nigeria
Sun and Moon felt like X and Y done right, we got the proper overworld visuals instead of the half stuck in tradition/half chibi 3D rut, the forced friend characters weren't as much as a group of nubs as the awful X/Y brigade and felt like they were worth being there (albeit part of the constant Sun/Moon interruption woes)
Better selection of the unfortunately still limited new pokemon, regional variants a better way to approach old pokemon with a new coat of paint than Megas, gym leaders/Kahunas regained having some sort of presence after X/Y backtracked so hard from Gen 5 that nobody remembers half of Kalos leaders.
Team Flare's overarching plot was absolute garbodor even by Pokemon standards, I'm not really big on Sun/Moon's stuff either but its leagues beyond Lysandre and his big nuke for reasons which is also paced like absolute booty.
Ride Pokemon >>> HMs
Sun and Moon bangers>>>middling X/Y tunes
But hey X/Y did online stuff better so it's not a complete wash.

I dunno man, the OP list is actually a solid one with little to dispute, but they don't add up to overcoming the many weak links X/Y had otherwise.
This. its what X/Y hopes to be

Nali

Oct 25, 2017
Gonna second all the people saying the online and postgame training features in XY were better and everything else was worse. Moon was the most fun I've ever had with the series' campaigns, and that's due to a mix of strong character designs and writing, top notch audiovisual presentation, and strong boss battle design that saw me taking the occasional L for the first time in over a decade.

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
It's okay to be wrong. XY was where Pokemon jumped the shark for me. I could count on one hand the things I like in that game. I was pretty ready to quit the series when SM brought me back in.

The only thing XY did better was online and while that's cool that's not what I play Pokemon for.

OP
OP

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They absolutely do. XY's Pokédex is way too large, you'll bump into old Pokémon much more often than new ones. The Pokémon who are highlighted in the story are also old ones again (Lucario, Snorlax). In Sun and Moon the Pokédex is smaller so you actually get a sense of place instead of every route having different species even if they're right next to each other. Some old Pokémon received Alolan forms, so they feel new. Pokémon in the story are all new (all the totems, Nebby, Type: Null).
This is ridiculous, having fewer available Pokemon is not a feature, especially when so many of those fewer Pokemon are either Ultra Beasts, or locked behind ridiculous requirements.

Raven777

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sun / Moon was not my favorite and I definitely agree that X - Y are the better game. The islands are just not a good way to structure the game world, in my opinion.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
I prefer ORAS myself, but absolutely believe that the Sun and Moon games are the lowest point the Pokémon series has ever been. Constant interruptions by annoying characters. (Yes, we know the dude likes eating food and the fluffy Pokémon doesn't want to go in the bag).

The Ultra Sun / Moon games were an embarrassing cash-in as well. Anyone who tries to defend them but slates Call of Duty's and Assassin's Creed's needs a slap, because US/UM were absolutely shameless.
The only shameless people are the ones defending older third versions like Crystal or Emerald who didn't add as many things as USUM, while shitting on USUM.
It's a game that completely disrespects players that loved the DS games
I loved the DS games and didn't feel "disrespected" (lol.)

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
i dont even know if i could go back to play X/Y because my favorite was Greninja and hes such a fucking jobber in the anime it soured my opinion on all greninjas

FusionNY

Oct 25, 2017
Nah
I get that it was Gamefreak's first foray into 3D Pokemon but X/Y are unacceptably ugly. That also doesn't excuse the horrendous balancing that'll leave your set 10-15 levels above opposing trainers or the most bland characters in the series. SuMo ain't perfect but at least I enjoyed looking at the world, interacting with its cast and it would throw the occasional difficulty curve ball.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
I am uninviting you from my wedding, PT. Stay away from my family. These ideas are not welcome in my home. For shame.

X/Y has the superior PokéDex, at least.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
This is ridiculous, having fewer available Pokemon is not a feature, especially when so many of those fewer Pokemon are either Ultra Beasts, or locked behind ridiculous requirements.
If all 800+ Pokémon were available in the wild and each of them had incredibly low rates, catching the one you want would be hell and the ecosystem would feel like a joke.
Same thing between XY and SM, on a smaller scale. You can't just slap everything you want in a game and go "more is better".

OP
OP

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's Phantom Thief, everything is bad.
Amazing counter argument

I am uninviting you from my wedding, PT. Stay away from my family. These ideas are not welcome in my home. For shame.

X/Y has the superior PokéDex, at least.
It's too late, i already RSVP'd

If all 800+ Pokémon were available in the wild and each of them had incredibly low rates, catching the one you want would be hell and the ecosystem would feel like a joke.
Same thing between XY and SM, on a smaller scale. You can't just slap everything you want in a game and go "more is better".
Except Pokemon in XY don't have low rates, Pokemon in SuMo do.

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Jobber in the anime? If it wasn't for ash's anti plot armor, he would the most OP pokemon in the anime.
I dont care how much Ash's suck can bring down a team with a level 200 Pikachu, you dont have a shonen battle manga screaming water type with a special unique transformation lose to a fucking fire dragon that somebody in the Pokemon company has a hard on for. Fuck everybody in that showrunners room.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'd argue that SM had worse catch rates for a bunch of Pokémon (especially the actual new Pokémon) because the catch rates were never too low on any given route and most Pokémon just didn't appear on a ton of routes, unlike sun and moon where a few common Pokémon were fucking everywhere and everything else was ludicrously annoying to find

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
Not played the 3DS offerings, but I really loved B/W and haven't felt the few games I did try since came close to being as strong.

JimJamJones

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Welcome to the right side of history. I've tried to get through both S/M and US/UM and can't do it. There's something about them that bothers me. X/Y are great and much better than S/M.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Not played the 3DS offerings, but I really loved B/W and haven't felt the few games I did try since came close to being as strong.
B/W has easily the best campaign in the series imo. It's largely weaker in terms of QoL and online though (although I do miss the negotiation trading option which was a fantastic way to trade with strangers as an alternative to the standard GTS)

trugs26

Jan 6, 2018
I don't have anything insightful to say, but I do recall just getting very bored with XY (it felt super linear maybe?) and hard quitting half way through. Whereas the location of sun/moon was at least enough for me to play until the end.

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
This is only a controversial statement here if you're asking Pokemon fans. Kids and parents of kids picking up their first title probably agree with you, but I can't imagine that many people who played more than one generation think Sun and Moon are better games.

I've been here since Day 1.

SM are MILES better than XY. Like it is not even close lmao, XY are easily some of the worst games GF has ever put out

meloa

Nov 10, 2017
You on some shit dawg.

Admittedly XY's online was a lot better than Sun/Moon and the Pokemon variety too, but that's it

Aesnath

Oct 27, 2017
Full agree with the OP. I will say that the X/Y story is poor, but it fades into the background and the implementation of a lot of things is just better in X/Y. Moreover, the story in S/M is better, but not good and a bit too hard to ignore. I did like team skull, oddly enough and some of the other villains were reasonably compelling, but they really didn't do much with it. Really love the part where you visit team skull's base, actually makes them one of the more logical enemy teams overall. Not happy with what they did with the team skull leader in the end though.

Deleted member 31092

Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Sun and Moon has actual good characters that you remember, iconic moments and memorable music.

XY has nothing really. It's not bad, just fgorgettable.

Swiggins

was promised a tag
Apr 10, 2018
X/Y remain one of my favorite gens of all time. Bunch of great Pokemon got added, the Kalos region was a fun place to explore, Super Training remains a feature I sorely miss in the games, it was an easy to understand way of min/maxing that brought out the stat enthusiast in me.

Furthermore, it was saddled with the herculean task of bringing Pokemon into the 3D realm, and I thought it pulled it off brilliantly, other than a few animations looking a little wonky it was a great looking fucking game.

unholyFarmer

Jan 22, 2019
Sun and Moon felt like X and Y done right, we got the proper overworld visuals instead of the half stuck in tradition/half chibi 3D rut, the forced friend characters weren't as much as a group of nubs as the awful X/Y brigade and felt like they were worth being there (albeit part of the constant Sun/Moon interruption woes)
Better selection of the unfortunately still limited new pokemon, regional variants a better way to approach old pokemon with a new coat of paint than Megas, gym leaders/Kahunas regained having some sort of presence after X/Y backtracked so hard from Gen 5 that nobody remembers half of Kalos leaders.
Team Flare's overarching plot was absolute garbodor even by Pokemon standards, I'm not really big on Sun/Moon's stuff either but its leagues beyond Lysandre and his big nuke for reasons which is also paced like absolute booty.
Ride Pokemon >>> HMs
Sun and Moon bangers>>>middling X/Y tunes
But hey X/Y did online stuff better so it's not a complete wash.

I dunno man, the OP list is actually a solid one with little to dispute, but they don't add up to overcoming the many weak links X/Y had otherwise.
This also sums all my major gripes with XY.

Pathetic friends, Lysandre was a joke, a "plot twist" that would even make a 5 year old ashamed. Why even bother hiring a writer, any pkmn fanfic is better than what we got. Also, I think megas were a terrible addition to the series. Oh, and let's not even start talking about gym leaders. The champion then.. hard to believe we fell so low since the amazing Cythia. The only saving grace for this God forsaken entry is the inclusion of fairy type.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
Pokemon fanbase is terrible at times on Reset Era when it comes to the game.

The only thing terrible is how you're allowed to dislike any other game or even entire gens but when it comes to LGPE its the biggest crime in the history of humanity

Face it, some people don't like it. You can like it. It exists like the other games that are nothing like it also exist, and none can do nothing about it

toad02

Banned
Oct 10, 2018
I was reading the op like
"yup yup yup yup yup"

As a lifelong Pokemon fan, the constant interruptions made Sun and moon simply unplayable for me.

Deleted member 31092

Banned
Nov 5, 2017
The only thing terrible is how you're allowed to dislike any other game or even entire gens but when it comes to LGPE its the biggest crime in the history of humanity

Face it, some people don't like it. You can like it. It exists like the other games that are nothing like it also exist, and none can do nothing about it

It also happens to have a lot of faults as a game too.

Like, fuck you player that like any Pokémon post 151.

Shedinja

Nov 30, 2017
Personally, I found both X/Y and Sun/Moon to be significant downgrades in terms of story and characters compared to the DS games. You could argue that Sun/Moon are slightly better in this regard, but the way its story is presented just made me not care about it at all. The point is, neither are particularly good. Overall, though, I agree with you. Especially this last line:

X/Y themselves are fairly weak games, weaker than the first five generations, but I think they at least provide a (very vanilla) Pokemon experience- Sun/Moon just try to get in the way of that constantly.

It comes down to what you value in a Pokémon game. The National Dex, Pokémon selection, and overall QOL improvements in X/Y were great. The PSS was almost perfect and, frankly, I'm sick of Game Freak throwing away well received features. X/Y weren't great, but at their core they still gave me what I wanted in a Pokémon game. Sun/Moon didn't.

You on some shit dawg.

Admittedly XY's online was a lot better than Sun/Moon and the Pokemon variety too, but that's it
There are players who value things like the online component and Pokémon selection above what Sun/Moon brought to the table.

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
This is like asking which strain of the flu you want.

The 3DS entries were really poor compared to the DS entries. Shockingly so.

Nightbird

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Pokemon SM is my FFX of the Pokemon framchise:

I love it to death, but I can't be arsed to replay it without the option to skip cutscenes.

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
Agreed completely. Not only that but the tropical setting was so damn boring in Sun and Moon, and the fact that it basically just HANDS you badges throughout the game drove me insane. The replacements for gyms were terrible too.

I'm also miffed because it irked me greatly how much the game straight up ripped off Yokai Watch after having played YW2 before Sun and Moon.

The music in X/Y is some of my favorite in the franchise as well. Especially the fight theme. Gym theme could use some work though.

Last edited:

CheeseCrazee

Oct 27, 2017
Full discretion, I played S/M before I played X/Y and I completely disagree.

While I will warrant that X/Y had the better QoL, that's about all it had. The region felt bland, the story was practically non-existent and Team Flare was boring with Lysandre practically being Cyrus 2.0. Not to mention they had probably the worst champion in Diantha who shows up like twice the entire game and has a team that can be steamrolled pretty easily (I think I was 10 levels below her when I beat her.) The gyms were also very forgettable as well if you ask me. It wasn't all bad though. Mega evolutions are neat, although the Gen 1 pandering and the over-poweredness of them ruined them for me, Pokemon designs were cool and AZ had potential, but unfortunately nothing was done with him.

S/M are by no means perfect, but I think they are the better game. The world, while linear, doesn't feel nearly as bland. The characters have more personality and reason for existing beyond helping the MC. They tried to shake up the formula, and while I'd say I still prefer gyms, it was still pretty cool to see what a world looks like without a Pokemon league. Alolan forms are a neat idea that could be used in the future (but probably won't be.) They introduced more new Pokemon - including the Alolan forms. Z-moves are a cool nuke button that every Pokemon can use, not just fan favorites.

I guess for me it's not that S/M got more right than X/Y, it is that X/Y got more wrong and played it too safe.

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
XY is good, but Sun and Moon is so much better. I'll never understand people on this forum that act like some of these games shot their dog lmao

You couldn't be more wrong.
Sun and Moon have (way) better:
- Region
- Music
- Characters
- Story
- Difficulty
- Creativity
- Art-style
- Pokémon designs
- Pokédex balance between old and new
- More content
They hated Aleh because he spoke the truth.

Nax

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 10, 2018
Sun and Moon are some of the worst games I have played in a long time...And certainly some of the worst Poke'mon games. I didn't have a lot of fun with X/Y either. But I would agree, anything is better than Sun and Moon.