• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

predict the metascore

• 95-100

Votes: 7 1.0%
  • 90-94

Votes: 48 7.0%
  • 85-89

Votes: 203 29.8%
  • 80-84

Votes: 266 39.1%
  • 75-79

Votes: 107 15.7%
  • 70-74

Votes: 27 4.0%
  • under 70

Votes: 23 3.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Deleted member 2809

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The leak thread was already full of it yesterday before the reviews even hit.
oh you mean that 200 pages thread ?
I don't recall anything besides that one reviewer getting called out after telling people to grow up because nobody ever catches them all anyway. Because you know, people aren't allowed to have favorites and be disappointed they didn't make it either.

Omegamon

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The GTS was nice to help in completing the national dex... but that's not here lol.

I'd be lying if I said I wouldn't miss it, but it's a feature I used less and less with every game. It kinda took the fun and challenge out of catching them all and doing actual social trading.
Uh no, it helped me to complete regional Pokedex

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Huh, interesting. Given that the 25th anniversary is in two years, I hope the same thing doesn't happen again, preventing from Galar getting a third version. Definitely feels like the building blocks for something great is here, but it just needs a bit more polish and foundation in order to be something great.
Considering it also falls on Gen 4's anniversary I think 2021 is for DP remakes and there probably isn't a big release next year

ryan13ts

Oct 28, 2017
Has it been confirmed what's being used in place of GTS? I know there was mention of it potentially using Let's Go's absolutely horrendous trade system, but haven't seen anything definitive yet.

Mik317

Oct 25, 2017
I just find it wild that people acknowledge the major flaws and barren feel of the wild area while hoping for improvements, but continue to give the games abnormally high scores at the same time. I am pretty sure that's not how things work, if you want the devs to see the issues you score low, you want the devs to continue what they are already doing you score high. Asking for improvements while showering them with praise isn't gonna grt you nowhere.
you can enjoy things while still admitting they have flaws. Also said flaws may not be the deal breaker they are to you to everyone.

scores aren't everything. read the reviews and take away if the downsides are deal breakers or not, then make your purchasing choice.

not that hard really. For example. I don't care about the national dex or GTS. To get my peak boomer on, back in my day I went on gamefaqs and made threads asking for pokemon eggs and I was happy...you damn whippersnappers /jk. That doesn't mean those not being there is a good thing. Its dumb and should change...but it does not effect what I want out of my Pokemon games. I'm just here to catch new peeps and build a squad and roll through the main campain. These games seem to do that...graphical issues be damned. SO based off the reviews I can make the purchase because I know I'll get what I want out of it. Its similar to the NBA 2k series. The main issues are in mycareer and shit that I don't care about...so while that shit is lame as fuck...I still get what I want. The moment it effects the gameplay or the League modes is the moment where my purchase comes into question.

Thats pretty much how this goes for every game....

Oct 27, 2017
Considering it also falls on Gen 4's anniversary I think 2021 is for DP remakes and there probably isn't a big release next year
I'm flat out dreading the Gen 4 remakes. The only solace is that in LGPE they didn't remove any of the dungeons, just changed them a bit, but really whether it's LG style or SWSH style, it'll be an almost guaranteed stepdown from Platinum aside from looking nicer

Natiko

Oct 25, 2017
People continuing to stoke those fires leading to other people getting harassed is yeah. You can have criticisms about the game, but like, don't buy it at the end of the day. You don't have to keep having open flame discussions continually that only make people madder and madder to the point that some go and harass people.

I don't really care about national dex, GTS, or the cut moves. Those that do can criticize it but treating it as some ongoing source of outrage and slight, especially in the case of the national dex, for months on end has led to a really toxic culture. Months and months of rage got you nothing. It got others harassed. Maybe step back and reexamine priorities.
Yeah no. Don't try and pin a handful of people I have no communication with or relation to being assholes on Twitter or whatever other shitty site to my valid criticisms. That's a false equivalence and you should feel bad for making it. I didn't cause them to harass anyone. Their own poor maturity caused it.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No actually it's not. That you can't see that and call them "the defenders" and cast the blame on them has enabled that harassment. Your criticism isn't being ignored. In fact its been said so many times that I'm tired of you crying wolf.
thanks for proving my point. You are exactly what I was referring to and yeah the series is worst off with what they cut and how they have handled it. You may not care or wanna criticize but that's on you.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Again, if it were a single project that'd be fine. With overlapping projects? Not so sure. They've had in recent years a constant commitment of people into several projects which have released annually. Will that be true in the future? No idea, but this kinda of schedule seems very tight for a single studio (even if the actual models are handled by a 3rd party).

The way other publishers do this is to have 2-3 separate studios, all of similar size to GF, do each individual project for 2-3 years (sometimes even longer). While also "factory" like in many ways, it does give some breathing space for each individual studio since they only deal with 1 project at a time.
Oh I'm not disagreeing. If Let's Go wasn't a thing there would probably be less flaws in the game as their focus in 2017/18 would have been on this

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
I actually think it works like that with japanese franchises. It feels like we have celebration/anniversary seasons or episodes every single week for Kamen Rider and other long running series.
Yeah, but as games accumulate, there will always be something that was released X5 or X0 years ago.

I don't understand the obsession with anniversaries.

DaToonie

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, this is what hurts the most. The dex cuts, the pop-in, and animations are things I'll get over, but the hand holding is really killing my hype for this game. The EXP share, the lack of puzzle or maze-like dungeons, and the box being accessible everywhere, it's just too much. I get that the EXP share and box accessibility are quality of life changes that people who don't have the time to waste on grinding and backtracking are excited for, but it really ruins the feeling of going on an adventure for me. I just really want an option to turn these things off. They don't even have to balance for it because they'd undoubtedly make it easier. These changes, more than anything else, make it clear that Pokemon just isn't something I'll enjoy anymore, which kind of hurts after 20 years of loving the series.

Yeah... it's getting really hard to enjoy these games past my initial hype of them. I haven't truly loved a game since Black 2 & White 2, so it's been a looong time for me, lol. I'll still give these games a go, and hope I somehow end up digging them regardless of these issues, but they could've been so much better. Removing options for the sake of streamlining wasn't the way, I feel.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I haven't been in the leak thread (I'm going in blind), and I can't comment on any harassment that's spawned from any reviews (it's still early and I'm also avoiding YT comments/twitter like the plague), but there's absolutely been harassment, smearing attempts and death threats in the community. Joe has been getting a full force brunt of it.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
User banned (3 days): Trolling. Ignoring staff post.
I'm flat out dreading the Gen 4 remakes. The only solace is that in LGPE they didn't remove any of the dungeons, just changed them a bit, but really whether it's LG style or SWSH style, it'll be an almost guaranteed stepdown from Platinum aside from looking nicer
At this point, fuck it bring on streamlined Diamond and Pearl. I want 10/10 scores where Mount Coronet is now Coronet Peak, a Wind Fish style mountain in the middle of a giant Wild Area that is smack in the middle of Sinnoh replacing the entire mountain range, most routes have been shortened, and now to reach snowpeak you take the train through the snowy forests because the snow is too deep to travel. I want Sinnoh to be an empty shell and everyone to celebrate its corpse, because I'm down with it. Might as well go scorched earth and revel in the glory of an empty minded pokemon game.

Oct 25, 2017
One day, one day we'll get our pokemon of the wild.

I believe.

UKikJ9n.jpg

Offtopic but I still think it's crazy Pokemon hasn't jumped to something like this over the years. Especially now that the Switch is capable of it.

Deleted member 2793

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, but as games accumulate, there will always be something that was released X5 or X0 years ago.

I don't understand the obsession with anniversaries.
They said they had to push SM for the 20th Anniversary thing, but then 2 years after that they released LGPE as a celebratory thing too. There's always some random anniversary that will be used to market stuff.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
80 is honestly lower than I anticipated.

Kinda ironic though seeing some of the same people who acted like 84 was bad for Death Stranding act like this score is so good. Not saying either are bad, but I never got why reviews have to be a competition to some people.

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
My expectations for Gen 4 remakes are keeping the layouts and updating them with Gen 8's style, Platinum pacing, and keeping the post game island

I don't see Battle Frontier coming back, distortion world at best being the post game story, and Mt. Coronet receiving changes

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Or I just think it depends on how one plays their games

I don't know why length is being a big deal for the first time ever in Pokemon

I can't speak for others, but the problem comes from the fact that so many features were cut/compromised but they didn't seem to go anywhere. A longer campaign would have been nice. Like others said, these games needed more time.

I can't speak to how long this game takes, but almost every Pokemon game pretty consistently takes me 25-30 hours to reach the credits, and I fear this will be too easy and brisk on content to reach even that.

Natiko

Oct 25, 2017
Ignoring those concern trolling over criticism - I'm surprised it scored as low as it has so far. I may be done with the series, but I didn't expect any of the complaints to really translate to lower scores. I would've guessed mid-80s.

RocknRola

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
Oh I'm not disagreeing. If Let's Go wasn't a thing there would probably be less flaws in the game as their focus in 2017/18 would have been on this
Exactly. I hope they (and by they I mean Nintendo + TPC + GF) have a serious inward look at how they do things and hopefully first and foremost try to improve that. Bit of a pipedream considering they're likely already under pressure to start work on their next project(s), but it'd be nice if they did it.

KaitoCam

Dec 29, 2018
The game could guarantee you keep your pokemon if you don't get the other one.
You get the other pokemon then the person stops trading with you. Let me give a better example say you want a gastly so you go to a forum and say I want to do a trade back where you trade the pokemon it evolves and then you trade it back. Once the trade goes through instead of it being traded back the person cancels the next trade and then disappears.

dreamlongdead

Nov 5, 2017
As long as these games sell millions, Game Freak will continue their course of action.

I'm part of the problem, because I bought both Y and Sun. I had no interest in Ultra Sun/Moon and easily passed them over, but people will still buy that anyway.

It's time to really put your money where your mouth is. I'll play this on launch just to see for myself.

ryan13ts

Oct 28, 2017
Link trades. Yeah it's LGPE.

I'd laugh but even that would be depressing. They managed to regress a perfectly competent system, they themselves created, back nearly 13 years. I just can't even.

It could be overlooked for Let's Go since you could argue that's a spin-off, but this just isn't acceptable for a mainline game in 2019, especially when GTS was superior in every way and it was made in 2006. There just is no defense for this (Though I know well enough some will try).