• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

predict the metascore

• 95-100

Votes: 7 1.0%
  • 90-94

Votes: 48 7.0%
  • 85-89

Votes: 203 29.8%
  • 80-84

Votes: 266 39.1%
  • 75-79

Votes: 107 15.7%
  • 70-74

Votes: 27 4.0%
  • under 70

Votes: 23 3.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Welp. The 6 month hate campaign didn't tank the game's metascore, but good effort guys.

Can't wait for Friday!
It's reviewing surprisingly low for a new Pokemon gen. Though I don;t think anyone that had issues with the games actually expected a meaningful shift in reviews considering that X/Y (pretty widely considered among the worst in the series) are the highest scoring Pokemon games.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Gen 6 had the best starters, followed by Gen 2

Gen 5 had the worst

Based on the few leaks I've seen, Gen 8 is in the upper tier

Don't @ me

JAGMASK

Jan 3, 2018
Based on the reviews and overall reception to the new direction of the series, I don't think I'm going to stick with this franchise any more.

Everything I enjoyed about the series has been removed and most people don't seem bothered, so I guess Gamefreak wont have any reason to return to what I want from a pokemon game.

I'm not upset with anyone for enjoying these games for what they are, but I am very disappointed in these new titles.

I guess I'm just not a fan of of Pokemon in it's current form. Oh well there are plenty of other game series for me to play and enjoy.

This will probably be the last time I post in a pokemon thread until next gen.

Jerm411

Oct 27, 2017
Clinton, MO
Kotaku (no score):

The magic of Pokémon is that it lets you tap into a sense of wonder that becomes more and more difficult to access as an adult. Sword and Shield do that more successfully than any Pokémon release has in years. It won't be everything to everyone, and it will not make everyone happy. I'm not sure it needs to. It's a portal to a new world. And it definitely has something for Pokémon's core audience: everyone in the entire world.

As an extremely casual player/fan (this will be my first time deep diving into a mainline Pokemon game), this is all I need to hear...can't wait!

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
If you're going to force people to trade to get pokemon that is otherwise unavailable (literally the only reason why two versions of the same game exists) then convenience matters more than anything.
How is it not good?

In what world an option for those who don't have friends to trade pokémon is not interesting or bad?

It's a faceless online marketplace. It doesn't even have to be online. Just add a pokemon of a certain value and the game spits back the pokemon you want. Is that a good feature?

You can still actually trade no? I'm sure people without friends will be coordinating trades online. See, now you're actually trading!

Interesting vs convinient

I'll take interesting, especially with the limited roster

Canas Renvall

Banned
Mar 4, 2018
I played BW for a bit before dumping it. I would definitely not say it had freedom. I dumped it because it was incredibly linear and restrictive. At some point the game wanted me to go to a very specific place in order to progress. I couldn't figure out where it was and I was done. Horrible game design honestly
It's so linear that you... got lost and had to explore...?

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone who can't see there was a hate campaign alongside legitimate complaints are being completely disingenuous

weekev

Is this a test?
Oct 25, 2017
81, some folks wont be able to get over Dexit, some wont care, there will be a range between 6/10 and 9.5/10, it will generally go down as the game that evolves the series the most and act as a launchpad to innovation in Pokemon games and in the years to come will be looked upon fondly as the game that transformed the series.
Called it

Nax

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 10, 2018
One day, one day we'll get our pokemon of the wild.

I believe.

UKikJ9n.jpg
Gunna be another decade at this rate.

Deleted member 2793

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The complaints about this game really do seem to have a gamergate motive and mood to it. People describe it as toxic. Nah these just radicals lol
Can we stop with these comparisons? Most people here are just voicing their opinions about game mechanics, it's not part of a culture war.

Also, that "petition" is obviously fake made to mock the "toxic fans".

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
No, it became a necessity because trawling fan forums to find what you want, setting up meetings with people in entirely different timezones and exchanging friend codes just to trade a couple of Pokemon is beyond archaic. It doesn't matter what the size of the roster is, if you have to trade for something then in terms of quality of life the best answer is a trading system where you deposit something and are automatically sent what you want in return which is EXACTLY what the GTS is.

Actually trading is interesting.

A faceless market place spitting out what you want isn't. It doesn't even have to be online lol

Watta92

Nov 8, 2019
If a person reallu likes a game a 9.3 isn't so weird right? Or am is missing something?

I would give paper mario color splash a 9.3 while you guys probably would think i am crazy

Moara

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I'd call it that, based on what I've received in conjunction with it
It sucks you got personal attacks but just because assholes exists doesn't make the complaints invalid. Most people are just disappointed in the game and aren't attacking any individual person for it.

Xavi

Oct 27, 2017
Lightning for Smash
It's a faceless online marketplace. It doesn't even have to be online. Just add a pokemon of a certain value and the game spits back the pokemon you want. Is that a good feature?

You can still actually trade no? I'm sure people without friends will be coordinating trades online. See, now you're actually trading!

Yeah no, you're just a troll. See ya.

KartuneDX

Banned
Jan 12, 2018

This is a terrible take from someone who's already admitted to being a lapsed player that mainly plays solo. GTS has significant function to many players and if you don't see that, that's fine, but it's a staple nonetheless that has been a regular part of the game until now.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Can we stop with these comparisons? Most people here are just voicing their opinions about game mechanics, it's not part of a culture war.

Also, that "petition" is obviously fake made to mock the "toxic fans".
Not to mention being compared to GG, a movement full of people that would be happy if I were murdered, is pretty fucking offensive.

CyberMonkey

Jun 20, 2019
The Eurogamer review is basically confirming all the concerns that I had about SwSh. I'm sure the games are fun, but this is not what I'm looking for in a Pokémon game.

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
The problem is that if you don't have a friend with another copy of the game, you either have to waste another $60 on the opposite version, or arrange a trade on a forum (if you live in Australia, you're screwed).

Trading online on a forum is actually trading. A faceless marketplace spitting out what you want isn't trading nor interesting.

Oct 26, 2017
UK
Current reviewer meta: Call the game divisive, downplay the importance of significantly bad elements, give it a 9+ store.

I really wish the reviews did a better job at explicitly saying how it's superior than previous entries in the series.

Oct 27, 2017

Lua

Aug 9, 2018
The complaints about this game really do seem to have a gamergate motive and mood to it. People describe it as toxic. Nah these just radicals lol
I would really not go that far, most people are very open and sincere about how they are feeling.

I also dont think the petition is real, but is funnily written regardless.That's why i posted it.

"We, as both Pokemon fans but more importantly, American Citizens believe this is violating our Market rights and need something done about this. "

lightning16

May 17, 2019
A few reviews now have mentioned this game "pushing the series forward" in their headlines and blurbs but not actually talking about what it is SwSh do to actually push the series forward.
Usually comes paired with comments of amazing quality of life improvements and continued streamlining and removing bloat. I personally haven't seen much evidence of any of that, but I guess we'll see for ourselves soon enough.

Well I guess I've seen the streamlining, but not exactly a positive for me lol.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
BOTW is the wrong format for Pokémon to have. They should follow Xenoblade 1/2 for how to design areas and still have good story progression.