• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

predict the metascore

• 95-100

Votes: 7 1.0%
  • 90-94

Votes: 48 7.0%
  • 85-89

Votes: 203 29.8%
  • 80-84

Votes: 266 39.1%
  • 75-79

Votes: 107 15.7%
  • 70-74

Votes: 27 4.0%
  • under 70

Votes: 23 3.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm confused by now from all those vague posts. Who's gonna harass who for what?

Are reviewers getting harassed for liking the game or disliking the game? I'm legitimately just asking for clarification since I'm a bit lost by now.
Everyone's getting shit from everywhere. It's a mess.

Deleted member 51789

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 9, 2019
Oh come on people. Do not be disingenuous. You know what I meant. Obviously Pokemon could score above a 90 if some changes were made. But instead, it always ends up in this "good" range. Instead of amazing.
What disingenuous about the replies you're getting?

People like fun. Yes, it could be better going from the reviews and I hope GF improves their work on future games but reviewers are still saying it's enjoyable and most are recommending it.

Why are X & Y hated so much? Haven't played a Pokemon game since Pearl back in the day, but recently started playing X since it came with my 3DS. It's not as amazing as Gold or Sapphire were, but it's fun enough
Story is terrible, introduced the lowest amount of new Pokemon in the series, difficulty is ridiculously easy even with Exp.Share off, post-game is lacking, battle music is bland.

I see at as the point where the mainline games hit a rut in quality.

Exellus

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Don't get me wrong. I plan on getting Pokemon Shield. But I'm getting it second hand, and I don't expect it will be my favorite game in the series.

If anything, I'm much more hyped for the next generation, where hopefully they ACTUALLY embrace newer tech and fix a lot of these shortcomings.

I expect SwSh to be.......just another entry in the series. Maybe the worst. But I'll probably try it at some point.

Moara

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Kids just want and instant complete button these days dammit.... Instant gratification via free handout or buy-up option! damn whipper snappers!
The most popular game kids play is fucking Fortnite, a skill based game with a ton of complexity. The idea that kids don't want any complexity or challenge is a dumb one.

Apopheniac

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Incorrect. As I've said, the gts became a necessity probably because of the bloated roster. Trimmed roster, not really needed anymore

For context, i haven't played these games or recent Pokemon games so this is my assessment as an outsider. It could be an incorrect assement. Haven't seen anyone make a good case though...
GTS existed in DP with a ~500 roster. This game has fewer Pokémon than that, but not by much.

Cyclonesweep

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
What nonsense Is this
Diamond and Pearl were a slow dragged out HM filled mess with the worst group of starters and terrible pacing. Platinum made the region lightyears better.

Diamond was the only Pokemon game I ever gave up on and had to come back like...a long time later with Platinum to actually be able to get thru it. Diamond and Pearl killed Pokemon for me for a while

Deleted member 2793

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I liked Sun&Moon's story so I'm disappointed to hear Sword&Shield's story is bare-bones. The character designs were so good...
I guess we're in an eternal cycle now where people complain "there's too much story", then the next gen gets a barebones story and people complain "there's no story" and then we get a game with too much story, etc.

I personally prefer the games that have decent story. SM may have many flaws, but the story and characters are good enough to make me care, XY had nothing.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
But the changes that are here — a larger, more detailed world and a streamlined structure that cuts out the annoying bits — are enough to make this the ideal iteration of the concept to date. The moments when I felt frustrated or bored in past games simply don't exist in Sword and Shield. It's one big adventure.

. The way they respect my time is wonderful,

In collecting, battling, and exploring, Sword and Shield cut out the bloat and focus on what makes these pillars of the Pokemon games so captivating in the first place. You're not held back by overly complicated back-end systems or hoops to jump through; from the outset, you can start wandering the Galar region, seeing its new Pokemon, and trying out its new battle strategies with very little in your way.

I guess everyone is different, but some of these quotes are absolutely baffling to me. The frustrating and boring and UNSKIPPABLE CUTSCENES EVERY 10 STEPS is still absolutely an issue with Sword and Shield. NPCs blocking your path from exploring the world until you go to house #3 in the town to speak to character #2 and trigger cutscene b is all over this game. Walk 10 steps, cutscene, walk 5 steps, cutscene, battle, friendly rival restores your health, walk 10 steps, cutscene. If this game respects the player's time, then literally every game ever made respects the player's time.

Pokemon, really since XY, feels like it's stuck in 2007, a era jam packed with handholding and unskippable tutorials. In this post-Dark Souls world, and really in this post-Minecraft world if we're looking at more kid friendly titles, such design choices have no place in ANY game. Yet Pokemon is filled to the fucking BRIM.

It turns them into an unplayable, slow, monotonous chore. Either I lack patience (As I happily prepare for a 30 minute long on foot delivery in Death Stranding), or reviewers just don't place much emphasis or importance on these things, which I find totally bizarre.

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USgamer (review in progress):
Pokemon Sword and Shield for the Nintendo Switch is a solid reminder that Pokemon will probably never run out of the stardust that helps keep it an endearing franchise for old and young alike. It's also a solid reminder that Game Freak is unlikely to unchain itself from the "Three Starters, Eight Gyms" formula that launched Pokemon into the stratosphere to begin with.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
The most popular game kids play is fucking Fortnite, a skill based game with a ton of complexity. The idea that kids don't want any complexity or challenge is a dumb one.
Exactly, kids will be able to take a challenge just fine, plus they have great tools now, like the Internet, to empower them if stuck. It's a huge shame GameFreak aren't willing to give them a challenge.

Deleted member 176

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, Fallout 3 and 4 have a 91% and 84% metacritic respectfully so if those buggy messes got free passes, I'm not sure why people are going "But it's pokemon" for why Pokemon SwSh also gets a score similar when nothing is as buggy as those games.
I think Fallout 3 is generally considered one of the best examples of a game with inaccurate reviews.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Diamond and Pearl were a slow dragged out HM filled mess with the worst group of starters and terrible pacing. Platinum made the region lightyears better.

Diamond was the only Pokemon game I ever gave up on and had to come back like...a long time later with Platinum to actually be able to get thru it. Diamond and Pearl killed Pokemon for me for a while
tenor.gif

Jakartalado

Oct 27, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
I can't.... hold.... my.... wallet.

My local store is already selling. (At ridiculous 350 reais in Brazil, around 85 us dollars). A 30 minute trip, is holding my happiness. But this price is outrageous.

King Alamat

Nov 22, 2017
Why are X & Y hated so much? Haven't played a Pokemon game since Pearl back in the day, but recently started playing X since it came with my 3DS. It's not as amazing as Gold or Sapphire were, but it's fun enough
  • The supporting cast, gym leaders and Elite 4 were a bunch of unmemorable and/or annoying goons.
  • Team Flare's plan made even less sense than Team Magma's.
  • The game shipped with a game-breaking bug that would erase your save if you saved outdoors in Lumioise City IIRC.
  • The transition to 3D models meant that a lot of Pokemon lost their personality as they were essentially A-posing during battles.
  • I personally hated the chibi overworld.
  • Those. Fucking. Barnacles.
  • Single-digit FPS whenever there was more than two Pokemon on screen, which was a problem considering this generation introduced horde battles.
  • Tangentially related, but ORAS were very underwhelming remakes that ignored everything Emerald did.

Oct 27, 2017
And don't forget before that it was Minecraft, another game where kids seemed to have fun getting lost and exploring just fine

So you think the gts is necessary or makes the game better because?

Make the case for it! :)
I refuse to believe you're responding in good faith

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Level design is intentional. People said sinnoh was too complex.
I know it's intentional. But it's also been bad. Alola had some terrible level design. Galar seems better but still suffer from lack in interest in doing more. Like Game Freak is afraid of anything more than a hallway. Kinda amazing they left Kanto intact with Let's Go.

Rather than make aids to help people from getting lost (markers and maps and whatnot), they just said "fuck improving, just cut dungeons entirely"

TheIdiot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hmm, the scores seem good but some of the things mentioned in the reviews make me think the game isn't for me. In particular, things like the difficulty and there being no dungeons.

Also, graphics/animations aren't that important to me, but this game doesn't look particularly good. Seeing things like a "Would you like to shake the three" text box in the barren wild area makes the game feel a bit too simple for my tastes.

I think I'll wait over the weekend to see impressions on Era and make my decision then. Not sure if I want what the reviewers seem to praise.

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Comic Book (4/5):
Once the dust settles from the controversies stirred up over the summer, Pokemon Sword and Shield will be looked upon by fans fondly. This is a great Pokemon game, one that, at times, pushes up against its self-imposed limitations and teases a new path for the Pokemon franchise. The real question coming out of Pokemon Sword and Shield is whether the Pokemon Company will build upon the newest innovations seen in the game and strive to keep the Pokemon franchise exciting and relevant, or if they'll just retreat to familiarity and disappoint a fanbase looking for reasons to keep playing for decades to come. Pokemon Sword and Shield is a half-step forward for the Pokemon franchise — we'll see if they put the other step forward with their next set of games, which could be critical to keeping some of its more jaded fans.

Deleted member 176

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So you think the gts is necessary or makes the game better because?

Make the case for it! :)
It allows people without a large network of pokemon-playing friends to engage in the fun of trading for something you want. It allows a person with two copies of the game, but not with two switches, to evolve pokemon through trade evolution. It's an effective tool to fill out the pokedex without having to comb through gamefaqs message boards hoping for the best. It's fun to passively trade pokemon while playing through the game.

Jannyish

Dec 16, 2017
No time to read all of it right now, but I read the summaries in the OP and... Interesting To say the least.