• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

predict the metascore

• 95-100

Votes: 7 1.0%
  • 90-94

Votes: 48 7.0%
  • 85-89

Votes: 203 29.8%
  • 80-84

Votes: 266 39.1%
  • 75-79

Votes: 107 15.7%
  • 70-74

Votes: 27 4.0%
  • under 70

Votes: 23 3.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

jml

Mar 9, 2018
If it's so convoluted a system you can't even explain it to someone new to the series then maybe it's a good feature to cut and start from scratch with something else.

You actually make a good case for gf to cut it
You put a pokemon up for trade and request another pokemon. It's not convoluted, it's extremely simple and straightforward

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
3g7n8563jph.jpg

a review thread for a huge game with only ~30 reviews is so boring :(

Personablue

Feb 10, 2019
Seriously? I haven't neither myself, my wife or my daughters bought the last couple games, but is it because of the new leveling system as to why things go so quickly? Last I remember, I was going around for hours leveling up different Poke's to gain new abilities, etc/
The road to first gym takes time , like 2-3 hours then it's basically gym after gym non stop with basically non existent lore or story. At 11-12 hour I have got 5 badges. And yes Pokemon level up quickly too, I don't remember having 40level Pokemon in 12 hrs in earlier games

Joqu

Oct 25, 2017
The Waffle Kingdom
I used the GTS all the time and never heard much in the way of complaints about it

It's only now that it has been cut that people are saying it's been bad all along

dunkzilla

alt account
Banned
Dec 13, 2018
As someone who has skipped Pokémon for a long time, an open world area with actual difficulty if you try to do stuff that's above your level interests me far more than cut Pokémon & mediocre graphic performance.
There's no stuff to do. It's just going out of your way to battle a wild Pokémon that you can't even catch. Then if you do beat it you'll get so much EXP the main game will be even more trivially easy.

Apopheniac

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm pleasantly surprised some outlets are willing to go in on it as hard as they have.
People sad that they cut the GTS? that thing was unusable 95% of the time
It worked better if you put up your own Pokémon. Plenty of people willing to do Haunter for Haunter or Karrablast for Shelmet, basic things like that.

Deleted member 2793

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Mario, Zelda, and Fire Emblem went through similar periods of stagnation and had it way less worse than Pokemon as none of their games really came close to the controversies of Sword and Shield (though Fates came close) and they still tried to course correct and gave us some of the most beloved entries in their respective series.
By FE's "stagnation" do you mean the period where it had its two best selling games ever, with Awakening being the best rated entry ever?

They only "changed" in the next game because they felt like it. Not sure if Gamefreak will do that.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Speaking of Fire Emblem the head character designer for Awakening and Fates designed Pokemon in this game.

Not sure who but they're in the credits as Pokemon Designer.

Notably while Sugimori oversaw the designs it seems he didn't design any of them this time around.

Symphony

Oct 27, 2017

Like, you had better chances of getting some cool through mistery gift than by using the GTS
Yes? Having to exchange friend codes and schedule times to be online to trade with specific people is a pain in the ass. With GTS I just list a sensible offer and get a trade within an hour.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
This thread is going so fast it feels like Twitch chat

Maybe because despite those changes, reviewers still enjoyed the game? I'm sure reviewers like Casey and Kallie are aware of those changes, but maybe they were having so much fun with it they didn't even think about those things?
GTS and TMs wouldn't be things identifiable as "problems" during a review playthrough, or even Dexit. Those are things that become noticeable after months (the seventh time you've grinded the same TR or the lack of long term content, etc)

Feb 5, 2018
So? as expected, a very good game with a lot of heart and charm.

Sure, the game made some decisions that deserved criticism, but people took things too far, lied a lie to themselves that this is a trash game, and believed their own-made fiction and started to push their narratives on every single piece of info, no they even made issues out of nothing (like the night/day cycle they imagined).

I've seen this many times before:

- Donky Kong Tropical Freeze: another DK ?! why not Metroid? why not AAA GAME BY THE AMERICAN STUDIO RETRO TO SHOW OFF THE WIIU HARDWARE?
and it turned out that Tropical Freeze is probably the best 2D platforming game ever made.

- Mario 3D World: a 3DS game! creative bankruptcy! those people should look at Sonic Lost World and learn!
in the end? the game was insanely creative, and many fans consider it to be the best 3D Mario ever made.

If a game doesn't have THE BEST AND MOST REALISTIC GRAPHICSSSS ever, then it surely is bad and a low effort!

Don't misunderstand me, there is a discussion to be had about Pokemon Sword and Shield and GF decisions, but i hope the that will be more rational now, without trashing what seems like a good and polished game that is full of heart and charm all the time.

You are undercutting what the opposing side is actually saying:

- It is not actually polished: There are areas that do not have a day/night cycle and other areas that do. The game world freezes when you climb ladders. The game has massive pop-in and framerate drops. The game also has been shown to crash during some dynamax/Gigantamax battles for no reason.

- It is unbalanced: NPCs can kill dynamax pokemon in max-raids ALONE. You get healed at literally every corner of the game now.

- They lied: They told us, repeatedly, that the dex cuts were due to new animations and models. Both have been hard disproven. They are the same models from the past 2 gens and the same animations from Sun/Moon. Massively advertised Dynamax being this new feature and you can only use it in Raids and Gym battles. Not even trainer battles.

- They cut a ridiculous amount of features: Megas, Z-moves, GTS, 500+ pokemon, any reasonable form of post-game, triple, air, and rotation battles still have not returned.

This almost has nothing to do with graphics or look at all. I could tell you a 100+ more things but if this doesnt get my point across, idk what will. Im frankly disappointed at the number of people hating on those who are criticizing a game they actually want to love.

Gamefreak cuts corners and gets appreciated for it due to the fact that it IS pokemon. If it was any other franchise, it would be dumped into the ground for the same issues.

Everywhere

Banned
Jun 12, 2019
User Banned (1 week): trolling, ignoring modpost, prior related infractions
Reviewers didnt pay $60 to play this. Let's keep that in mind.

dunkzilla

alt account
Banned
Dec 13, 2018
If it's so convoluted a system you can't even explain it to someone new to the series then maybe it's a good feature to cut and start from scratch with something else.

GTS is basically a marketplace. You can either look up a Pokémon you want to trade for, or put a Pokémon up you want to trade and what you want for it. It made getting the version exclusives easy. They removed it. They did not add in an alternative.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017

It's online trading. You put the pokemon you have for trade and set what you want.

It's that. It's easy to explain.

Omegamon

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Like, you had better chances of getting some cool through mistery gift than by using the GTS
I finished Ultra Moon like two months ago, since it's like 2 years old I expected to have trouble with GTS and trading for version exclusives, I didn't ask for anything unreasonable and got the Pokémon I wanted within an hour

Deleted member 17207

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not discussing their scores. I was already expecting most of them to enjoy the games and score it well and said it was fair. I was just replying to someone who said the cuts could be considered "trimming the fat" when basically almost no one who plays these games will defend the GTS cut or the TM change.

Would be nice to have a few reviews that touched these points and were made from other points of view. We have the huge majority of the reviews being made from the same "I'm playing this for 20 hours for the story and good feel", which yeah is fair, but we still lack opinions that may represent the millions that play these games for hundreds of hours.
Good point - but I'd blame that on Game Freak/Nintendo/whoever decides who gets a review copy. Perhaps they should've made sure someone got a copy to review who you would deem a core fan but who can recognize the series' faults.
It's completely misrepresentative if you ask me but reviews are entirely subjective. A Pokémon game rated 9.3 that cut several staple features and Pokémon just doesn't even sound right.
They're only reviewing the game for what it is, not for what it's not. If a lack of older Pokemon didn't hamper their enjoyment, why should it be brought up in their review?

Statements like that also tend to leave out what they ADDED - which to me is far more important when you're discussing a new game.

arlu

Nov 1, 2017
Venezuela
Me on VG247: https://www.vg247.com/2019/11/13/pokemon-sword-shield-review/

3 Stars.
"Thus is the conundrum, the paradox. Pokemon Sword & Shield is all too often a bit disappointing, and in some places actually feels a little unfinished, but it also fully provides that warm, fuzzy feeling that one expects from the series. Crucially, even through frustration, never once did I think about putting it down, which is to its credit. It comes recommended almost for the Galar setting and new Pokemon alone, but with a long list of caveats indeed. With the level of fan hyperbole surrounding this release, that recommendation is worth repeating and underscoring – but this is not the revolution that was promised or hoped for, and some may prefer to wait for a sale or wait and see if an improved, definitive release is on the cards."

What a well put together summary. Very honest recommendation at the end, too.

8/10 for us:

Limited Wild Area, interaction with players, and graphics are the cons. Awesome new pokémon, Gigamax/Dinamax added strategy, and cool Galar region (and some nice tunes) are the pros.

Hey, CaVaYeRo! I remember you from the Revogamers days! :P

Exellus

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
They didn't "cut massive amounts of content from the game"

What they did was NOT include features or Pokemon that were present in previous games - that doesn't mean that THIS game is bad.

You want to argue semantics with me? This game has tons of missing features from the previous entries. This game is a sequel. That is the very definition of cut content. It is EXTREMELY fair to compare this game with its predecessors.

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
You put a pokemon up for trade and request another pokemon. It's not convoluted, it's extremely simple and straightforward

Was this a place in a separate building you had to go to in black and white? Honestly I hated it and most of the design of black and white. It felt like a bunch of disparate features just added on top of the basic Gameboy game, with no real integration. Which is part of the reason I dropped the game a few hours in

Deleted member 17207

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
GTS and TMs wouldn't be things identifiable as "problems" during a review playthrough, or even Dexit. Those are things that become noticeable after months (the seventh time you've grinded the same TR or the lack of long term content, etc)
Okay, so then why are people getting angry over them not being mentioned in these reviews?

TheWill

Sep 24, 2018
By FE's "stagnation" do you mean the period where it had its two best selling games ever, with Awakening being the best rated entry ever?

They only "changed" in the next game because they felt like it. Not sure if Gamefreak will do that.

They literally had interviews on the divide of the community and explicitly stated 3H was inspired by Genealogy.

Criticism from long-time fans absolutely matters and Intelligent Systems done phenomenally in bridging the gap between the long-time and newer casual fans.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Was this a place in a separate building you had to go to in black and white? Honestly I hated it and most of the design of black and white. It felt like a bunch of disparate features just added on top of the basic Gameboy game, with no real integration. Which is part of the reason I dropped the game a few hours in
The gts is literally in every pokemon center.

Deleted member 17207

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You want to argue semantics with me? This game has tons of missing features from the previous entries. This game is a sequel. That is the very definition of cut content. It is EXTREMELY fair to compare this game with its predecessors.
But it's not a sequel? It's a new Pokemon game for a new generation - isn't that what every Pokemon is supposed to be?

It's certainly fair, but I don't think it'd be fair in reviewing this game for what it is - I don't see how that makes any sense - especially considering I wouldn't consider it a sequel, at all. There are very clear examples of when Game Freak has done sequels for Pokemon games.

clay_ghost

Oct 25, 2017

It's basically a request for a specific Pokémon that you wanna trade (you must have seen it before if I recall correctly) while offering a Pokémon you willing to trade it for. You upload the pokemonvand if there is a match, the trade will be done when you connect back.

It's pretty good. There is also another random trade where it's a wild world lol, I received shiny and legendary pokemon with my common pokemon. Pretty sure most pokemon are hacked and uploaded though.

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017

If the missing features hurt the game, make the case though that lens. Without that framing, i can't tell if cutting it was a good or bad decision.

Plenty of fans complained about changes to Zelda in botw. Many of those changes made the game infinitely better

Horohorohoro

Jan 28, 2019
But it's not a sequel? It's a new Pokemon game for a new generation - isn't that what every Pokemon is supposed to be?

It's certainly fair, but I don't think it'd be fair in reviewing this game for what it is - I don't see how that makes any sense - especially considering I wouldn't consider it a sequel, at all. Especially since there are very clear examples of when Game Freak has done sequels for Pokemon games.
I don't see how you can consider it not a sequel.