• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

predict the metascore

• 95-100

Votes: 7 1.0%
  • 90-94

Votes: 48 7.0%
  • 85-89

Votes: 203 29.8%
  • 80-84

Votes: 266 39.1%
  • 75-79

Votes: 107 15.7%
  • 70-74

Votes: 27 4.0%
  • under 70

Votes: 23 3.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think they got burnt one too many times by some noname with a review copy leaking it.
Not that it mattered in the long term, with how people got it early anyway, but its also not like they only gave review copies to outlets that gave them good reviews.
yeah, they were just afraid of the game leaking, which it did anyway.

Deleted member 2793

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It was a post in particular that upset me. It wasn't especially malicious but it hit a sour spot with me. I never expected this game to review badly but some of the post highlighted a feeling of being ignored, and I guess it was just a little much for me.
You matter. Not liking a game is completely fine and it's ridiculous that people make comparisons to much worse stuff.

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
People don't know anything about Pokemon games
unknown.png

Times like this are why I appreciate user reviews to some degree. That disparity is excellent. I've never particularly understood why the mystery dungeon series gets trashed so hard.

Feb 5, 2018
Lmao gotta love that Eurogamer is the one major source with a negative review--many of the rest are glowing--and y'all are acting like the game is doomed.

Can't wait to play on Friday and meet some cute new Poket Monsters. Will undoubtedly be ignoring the dreaded discourse.

I dont think many of us thought the game was doomed, just massively disappointing as a pokemon fan that was looking for a quality generational leap. So far we have:

- Barely any post-game
- An extremely short pokemon adventure relative to other games
- Over half the cut roster when animations have stayed the same and the 3d models are the same recycled models since X/Y, just upscaled.
- Removal of Mega's and Z-moves
- Graphical and performance issues galore (texture pop in is pretty bad, framerate drops signficantly at parts, there have been reports of crashes during battles because the game almost cant handle dynamax)

And this is just from news I am allowed to talk about outside of the spoiler thread.

Not trying to start something, but it is sad when people think the complaints havent been justified at all.

Huggy

Oct 25, 2017
No other game would be allowed to get away with such glaring technical issues or massive feature cuts from previous games. Some of these reviews don't even mention them.

Games "get away" with technical issues all the time. Rarely are technical issues taken into account in a game and truly affect it's score. Last Guardian and Bloodborne are both games that had technical issues that both scored well, with one of them being many peoples favorite games this generation. If the core game is fun, it's not often that games will get huge score hits for having technical issues.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (3 Days): Trolling
"Pokémon Assault and Battery looks like the bastard child of Bubsy 3D and Sonic 2006. Every time I see a new challenge in the game, I want to punch through the screen. I have nothing but seething hatred for the graphics, sound design, story, and gameplay.

But despite all those issues, Pokemon Assault and Battery still is Pokémon. The formula is a little long in the tooth, but it's always a wonderfully charming one.

Also you can knit wool sweaters with your Pokémon and that's adorable.

9.75"

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Do the Ultra games have less story or is it just worse?

Honestly if there are fewer cutscenes and interruptions that would be enough for me to give them a try.
No they kind of fucked around the climax with Lusamine. So it's basically the same amount of story content but they changed some stuff around and it doesn't work nearly as well

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
80 MC/OC scores is very surprising, you'd guess it'd score higher with those early reviews.
I'm still reading some and yeah, I can see the issue, was there a rumor about a day one patch?

I got nothing against folks enjoying this game.

I will say, on a personal level, I have very little confidence in GF to address criticisms aimed towards Pokemon because even with issues, as these reviews show, folks are capable of enjoying it.

And why change when your game gets good reviews and sells 10+ million copies?

I had hoped for a different result on the first entry on Switch from a gameplay perspective but I guess I'll have to wait a long time for that, if ever.
Black & White reviewed well and sold well over 10 million but that didn't stop Gamefreak from doing a massive on the amount of new Pokemon in the following gens

dreamlongdead

Nov 5, 2017
Have no idea how much I will actually like this, but I can at least go in blind when I start playing.

Reviews scores are typical Pokémon, so I can only take this all with a grain of salt.

Deleted member 2145

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
80 is a drop from almost 90.

shield - 80
sword - 81
ultra sun - 84
sun - 87
ultra moon - 84
let's go pika - 79
omega ruby - 83
y - 88
moon - 87
let's go eevee - 80
x - 87
black - 87
white - 87
heartgold - 87
platinum - 83
alpha sapphire - 82
black 2 - 80
soul silver - 87
fire red - 81
diamond - 85
emerald - 76
ruby - 82
pearl - 85
white 2 - 80
leaf green - 81

76 low, 88 high, the rest somewhere in between

tale as old as time

Bass2448

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It seems like Game freak gets away with gutting the game of features from previous generations and charging $20 more for it. I'm gonna hold out hope that the reviewers are right and despite that, its a wonderful game.

Maybe have some fun with the dexit. Headcannon thanos happened and thats why all other pokemon are gone and we see a world trying to move on.

Yata

Feb 1, 2019
Spain
Reading Pokemon reviews is exhausting, so many elements that are critical to my enjoyment are just handwaved or ignored and I can't understand why. Well, I lie, I understand why, but it's still sad and tiring.

I was fully expecting for scores to be this high, I don't care about them anyway, they are pretty meaningless to me. But I am really dissapointed over so many reviews glossing over some of the stuff we have seen the past few couple of days, I did not expect that.

DarkStream

Oct 27, 2017
Seems like a mixed reception, which was expected.
It really comes down what one values in a Pokémon game. If you care about the stripped features or the reused models, you aren't going to be happy.
If you don't care, it seems to be a decent game. That's okay too.

Symphony

Oct 27, 2017
Do the Ultra games have less story or is it just worse?

Honestly if there are fewer cutscenes and interruptions that would be enough for me to give them a try.
Not less, just worse. The peak of the story, probably the best bit of plot in a mainline Pokemon game, was completely cut and a main villain sidelined in favour of HEY NEW OP LEGENDARY.

Deleted member 176

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"Pokémon Assault and Battery looks like the bastard child of Bubsy 3D and Sonic 2006. Every time I see a new challenge in the game, I want to punch through the screen. I have nothing but seething hatred for the graphics, sound design, story, and gameplay.

But despite all those issues, Pokemon Assault and Battery still is Pokémon. The formula is a little long in the tooth, but it's always a wonderfully charming one.

Also you can knit wool sweaters with your Pokémon and that's adorable.

9.75"
knitting with pokemon would actually be huge that sounds really cute

Onix like uses the little tip of his tail

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Lmao gotta love that Eurogamer is the one major source with a negative review--many of the rest are glowing--and y'all are acting like the game is doomed.

Can't wait to play on Friday and meet some cute new Poket Monsters. Will undoubtedly be ignoring the dreaded discourse.
Turns out there are a lot of not glowing reviews.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I mean, fair's fair- Explorers of Sky has a really good story, but, like all Mystery Dungeon games, the gameplay is something to be tolerated at best, rather than something enjoyable.

Sky at least has gameplay. Channel gameplay boils down to waiting forever for Slowpoke to change the weather in the area of your choice, to the weather of your choice to see the one pokemon you need to see in that area.

Woof, wasn't expecting about having to talk about Pokemon Channel of all things today.

Zoon

Oct 25, 2017
I don't have much to say about these games since I lost any interest after the first couple trailers but IGN's 7.8 score for ORAS was on point. For different reasons than the reviewer pointed, but still on point with the score.

Hate

Oct 26, 2017
shield - 80
sword - 81
ultra sun - 84
sun - 87
ultra moon - 84
let's go pika - 79
omega ruby - 83
y - 88
moon - 87
let's go eevee - 80
x - 87
black - 87
white - 87
heartgold - 87
platinum - 83
alpha sapphire - 82
black 2 - 80
soul silver - 87
fire red - 81
diamond - 85
emerald - 76
ruby - 82
pearl - 85
white 2 - 80
leaf green - 81

tale as old as time
Emerald getting 76 is a travesty. I'd personally score it the same as diamond.

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean it's still among the lowest reviewed games in the series, has garnered multiple massive controversies, and will likely be seen as one of the more if not the most disappointing Pokemon release in the community.

Like there's no reason for TCP or GF to consider what they're doing right now is fine and sustainable in the future even if the game did sell very well. Fire Emblem Fates had very high scores and was one of the best selling FE games yet that didn't stop them from trying to apply the criticism they received for those games and eventually gave out Three Houses.
It's GF though, i'll believe when I see it especially if the sales is still there

RealDealRusty

Jan 8, 2019
Since reviewers didn't have the online features do we know what is an isn't in the game? Is GTS gone, are there online battles?

Shift Breaker

Oct 25, 2017
Just read Eurogamer's review. Seems as praising as it is scathing, which matches up with the leaks and datamines. Fun because it's Pokémon, but it's certainly missing a lot that will drag it down.

Deleted member 5764

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Casey at IGN is someone that I generally seem to fall in line with on Pokemon. That she thinks it's a 9.3 is all I need to know! I can't wait for Friday!

Kudo

Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully the reviews show in sales and this would serve as wake up call for GameFreak, but I doubt that.
Game looks devoid of all innovation, I will most likely get it later down the line for character designs but if it's too easy end up never finishing it much like Go.

Horohorohoro

Jan 28, 2019
Reading Pokemon reviews is exhausting, so many elements that are critical to my enjoyment are just handwaved or ignored and I can't understand why. Well, I lie, I understand why, but it's still sad and tiring.

I was fully expecting for scores to be this high, I don't care about them anyway, they are pretty meaningless to me. But I am really dissapointed over so many reviews glossing over some of the stuff we have seen the past few couple of days, I did not expect that.
Yeah, that sums up how I feel as well. Scores are arbitrary, but I feel like there are tons of criticisms that people really just barely mention but they're make-or-break for me. (Including some accessibility issues that I can't stop ragging on in the spoiler thread, lol, which I'm almost certain no review has mentioned.)

ckareset

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Feb 2, 2018
A 9.3 from ign means GF will ignore all american criticism lol. Sales gonna be as high as usual maybe higher. This series isn't taking any leaps

Deleted member 176

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
shield - 80
sword - 81
ultra sun - 84
sun - 87
ultra moon - 84
let's go pika - 79
omega ruby - 83
y - 88
moon - 87
let's go eevee - 80
x - 87
black - 87
white - 87
heartgold - 87
platinum - 83
alpha sapphire - 82
black 2 - 80
soul silver - 87
fire red - 81
diamond - 85
emerald - 76
ruby - 82
pearl - 85
white 2 - 80
leaf green - 81

tale as old as time
sword is 80

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
No they kind of fucked around the climax with Lusamine. So it's basically the same amount of story content but they changed some stuff around and it doesn't work nearly as well
Not less, just worse. The peak of the story, probably the best bit of plot in a mainline Pokemon game, was completely cut and a main villain sidelined in favour of HEY NEW OP LEGENDARY.
Booo, thanks for the info

Gassy_N0va

Oct 27, 2017
Not shocked that its still getting good review scores, this goes to show that reviews are never the be all, end all. It is a shame to see some dismiss all the complaints because its reviewing well, though. I, for one, will pick it up used some day. Can't in good faith give Game Freak $60 with their current direction and I honestly hope they stay away from D/P/Pt remakes before they end up ruining them.

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
We should change this from a thread about sword and shield, and turn it into an outrage that's universally justified. How bw2 was robbed