• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

predict the metascore

• 95-100

Votes: 7 1.0%
  • 90-94

Votes: 48 7.0%
  • 85-89

Votes: 203 29.8%
  • 80-84

Votes: 266 39.1%
  • 75-79

Votes: 107 15.7%
  • 70-74

Votes: 27 4.0%
  • under 70

Votes: 23 3.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Jbone115

Oct 25, 2017
This is hilarious - people who are rooting for a low score are using OC whole people wanting a high score are using MC.

Low 80s is about what I expected.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I never expected the game to get bad reviews.

That still doesn't suddenly make any of the problems myself and others have with the game disappear.

Psittacus

Oct 27, 2017
A lot of the text of these positive reviews boil down to the same points as the negative ones, just with "and I enjoyed it despite those problems" tacked on the end. So this game will probably remain divisive.

Magnemania

Jan 25, 2018
Eurogamer review was excellent. It discusses map design/region design in a reasonably objective manner while comparing to older games (even Let's Go!), while still praising the creativity of the game's usage of its British inspiration. I don't see how people are reading it as a 5/10 when the reviewer has so many positive things to say in the first half.

Kotaku, on the other hand, reinforces game journalist stereotypes by calling it "challenging".

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
Man, some people here really want this to be a complete failure lol

As someone midly interested in this game (never played any), I wonder how good the game would be for someone like me considering I don't have the baggage of previous entries.

dred

Oct 27, 2017
Sounds incredibly bland. I was hoping Game Freak would use this opportunity to finally catch up with other RPG's but it seems they've gone even farther the opposite direction. I'm out.

Camisado

Nov 3, 2017
Is this the tipping point where most review outlets are now just external arms of marketing rather than actual critics?

Shocking stuff.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
Really, you can see that this thread won't end well.

Those who are disappointed keep quoting the lower OpenCritic ... funny how THIS is now the more important one, huh?
And the others keep quoting the higher MC ...

It's simply sad.

Ocarina_117

Oct 26, 2017
Reviewing a lot better than I expected it too!

Especially after reading the Eurogamer review, who were quite harsh on the game infact.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Just one thing I want to ask, are those technical issues that were in the other thread real? framerate drops. pop in etc?

If they are, how does it get these high scores? I need to read more reviews to see how they are commenting on the game technically.

IzzyRX

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
So only major outlet s received a review copy?

Eurogamer says there are no caves...
' In fact, Pokémon Sword and Shield is entirely dungeonless. There is no route or cave or building or wood more complex than Red, Blue and Yellow's Viridian Forest, the tutorial pseudo-dungeon at the start of generation one. Nothing in the game comes close to even Mt. Moon or Rock Tunnel, let alone the twelve floors of warp-pad mayhem in Silph Co. '
Sigh.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Pokémon is the only franchise that can consistently drop major features, cut content, and do nothing to grow and evolve and still end up reviewing well.

It's reviewed on a curve. Even some of the more positive reviews lament some of the disappointing elements of the games but then turn around and go: "But it's Pokemon!!!!" and bump the score up.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

As someone midly interested in this game (never played any), I wonder how good the game would be for someone like me considering I don't have the baggage of previous entries.
It would still be incredibly linear ad easy, with a variety of technical issues and poor story pacing. Now whether those kinds of things will affect your enjoyment or not is of course personal.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Why does MC have separate pages for Sword and Shield? Like, they have slightly different features, but do any reviewers specifically only review one version?

Belthazar90

Banned
Jun 3, 2019
User Banned (3 days): Ignoring mod post, trolling
So... I guess now the Nintendo bias is a confirmed fact? I'll just take any major Nintendo release metacritic and subtract 10 or so points to get the actual score from now on tbh.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
If it means anything despite my gripes I do think this may have the best designed Pokemon of the 3D era.

Shoozle

Banned
Dec 2, 2017
UK
Just one thing I want to ask, are those technical issues that were in the other thread real? framerate drops. pop in etc?

If they are, how does it get these high scores? I need to read more reviews to see how they are commenting on the game technically.
I personally only noticed framerate issues in sandstorms in the wild area, aside from that it's fine. Pop in issues are a plenty.

Deleted member 2793

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

It's better if you didn't play any others as you won't miss most of the stuff cut. It's all new and Pokémon games generally have decent enough single player campaigns.