• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Miller

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, well, i exploded when i got told that we should make a discord so we could have our own little echo chamber of positivity.

I'm pissed off right now

I mean why the fuck should i have to use the ignore function, or swim through rivers of mud, or go open a Discord if i wanted to have a discussion about SwSh that wouldn't spin about animations and how mediocre is game freak yaddayadda?

Nobody has given me a reason that isn't "Deal with it"

Nobody was saying "go open a Discord if you wanna say positive things about Pokemon", they were saying "go open a Discord if you want an echo chamber". That's... kind of a fair statement to both sides. This is a discussion forum, and it's perfectly reasonable to assume that people will share positive and negative opinions. If someone is stopping you from having a positive discussion, report them. But there simply being a dearth of negative opinions does not somehow innately stymie positive discussion.

Like, on the last page, people were talking about the Charizard animation from this trailer. The whole purpose of this thread is to discuss the trailer. That's fair game, no?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not down for personal mudslinging, or meta discussions about the discussion. As for the latter, we're getting dangerously close to the tipping point with respect to need for moderation, so I would really enjoy getting back to discussing the trailer and its reflection on the game moreover.

You said you have positive opinions about the game and this trailer. Care to share some more? I'd like to read them.

Mik317

Oct 25, 2017
"its a discussion forum" doesn't hold water when the whole discussion is just various forms of "fuck gamefreak". Not much can be added to that and anyone who goes against the rage pile is immediately called a shill or some shit. So some great discussion you have going on then.....

this does not absolve GF of their many many dumb decisions. Nor does it mean you cannot be mad. BUT at some point, being mad at the same shit doesn't really do much but rain on the parades of many others. I hate when games are First Person or have art styles I don''t care for.....however outside of their reveal, I let those who don't feel the same way...enjoy and be able to talk about the smaller details without me going "I hate this and it shouldn't be this waaaaay" at every single new info drop. I joined this forum...well GAF.... to get away from gamefaqs constant negativity. I joined around the Smash Brawl reveal, and those threads were a fucking blast of people being excited about the game and other threads had the same vibe..however somewhere along the line, being negative in the name of criticism became the new norm because people desperately wanted to be taken seriously and being a "circlejerk" or echo chamber (the latter of which is rich considering this place is very much that) is a big no no.

There is tons of things in gaming, I hate. Hell w/ SwSH, I worry that gamefreak will let me down again with a small and poorly distributed list of a new pokemon, aka the one thing that I want out of every new pokemon game, and if/when that ends up the case, I will voice my displeasure and then move onto the next thing...because I know not everyone feels the same way and to keep voicing said displeasure really adds nothing new to the conversation at all. This idea that negative impressions are somehow better than some fanboy gushing fest in terms of actual discussion is false. Both in moderation is what leads to actually fulfilling back and forths. You going "look at this stupid animation" every chance you get is not better than PokemonLuver587970 going "ALL OVER MAH FAAAACE"

But hey its a free board and its more than likely I am simply getting too old for this shit lol

Oct 26, 2017
"its a discussion forum" doesn't hold water when the whole discussion is just various forms of "fuck gamefreak". Not much can be added to that and anyone who goes against the rage pile is immediately called a shill or some shit. So some great discussion you have going on then.....

It goes both ways. I often see comments downplaying legitimate criticism with disingenuous posts such as "well you're too old for the series", or "you're not the target demographic anymore", or other comments usually ignoring the all-ages appeal of the series and legitimate gripes with the direction the series. It's been like this ever since the controversy started with XY not having postgame content, and ORAS not having the Battle Frontier.

So really, the problem is with the positive and negative crowds being too stubborn/too defensive to listen to legitimate arguments.

this does not absolve GF of their many many dumb decisions. Nor does it mean you cannot be mad. BUT at some point, being mad at the same shit doesn't really do much but rain on the parades of many others.

You know that's complete bullshit. If you are sold with the game and you clearly love it, there's no one negative enough to rain on your parade and dissuade you from buying the game.

Electivirer

May 15, 2018
Gengar reading the thread.

i314NcQc.gif

Miller

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

Then report them. Full stop. You don't actually think that is allowed here, do you? I don't want that here, and neither do you. Do you honestly believe that's the kind of thread a notable percentage of people criticizing Sword and Shield on ERA want to have? A place where people can shit on Game Freak and everybody who thinks otherwise is a shill? Come on.

I joined this forum...well GAF.... to get away from gamefaqs constant negativity. I joined around the Smash Brawl reveal, and those threads were a fucking blast of people being excited about the game and other threads had the same vibe..however somewhere along the line, being negative in the name of criticism became the new norm because people desperately wanted to be taken seriously and being a "circlejerk" or echo chamber (the latter of which is rich considering this place is very much that) is a big no no.

You might have bigger issues with ERA than just a couple Pokemon threads.

Mik317

Oct 25, 2017
Then report them. Full stop. You don't actually think that is allowed here, do you? I don't want that here, and neither do you. Do you honestly believe that's the kind of thread a notable percentage of people criticizing Sword and Shield on ERA want to have? A place where people can shit on Game Freak and everybody who thinks otherwise is a shill? Come on.

I have issues w/ internet discourse in general.

My post reads really whiny lol but I am mainly just bored right now and able to get that off my chest. I am not THAT butthurt over it and at the end of the day people can do what they want..just putting it out there how it comes off to me on my end. Personally I don't see the appeal in focusing on being mad that Gamefreak is Gamefreaking it up every time a new Pokemon drop...seems to be a draining thing to do...but thats just me and I cannot speak for everyone.

fourfourfun

Oct 27, 2017
England
The videos for this look great. Is this retaining some of the really good features from Let's Go like no random battles, throw minigame to catch and local co-op? Have been enjoying playing with my lad today.

Last edited:

Miller

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The videos for this look great. Is this retaining some of the really good features from Let's Go like no random battles, throw minigame to catch and local co-op? Have been enjoying playing with my lad today.

No random battles is back (although Pokemon on the field can sometimes surprise you by hiding in tall grass, while we assume you can still dodge them if you like), but it looks like throw minigame to catch and local co-op have gone.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
I never once complained yet about Pokemon quality in this game but damn can't defend this, behind one of the best selling games biggest name worldwide and this is how they treat this
Yeah, I hope they pick this up in polish.

Basically the animation seems to start where Charizard's head rests naturally, but didn't move with Charizard's head in the attacking animation.

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
game looks dope. almost makes me want to get a switch. something about the gigantification doesn't interest me tho. i mean it looks cool, but also maybe its just a bit much?

IzzyRX

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Be nice to each other, c'mon.

game looks dope. almost makes me want to get a switch. something about the gigantification doesn't interest me tho. i mean it looks cool, but also maybe its just a bit much?
I'm waiting to see it in the actual game to judge it's mechanic. Seems better than Z-Moves/Megas.

Jul 3, 2019
User warned: Hostility towards other members.
I feel some people bandwagon on to hate parades and shit gets old.
Start a new thread if you just want to talk about your gripes with the development etc.
As someone who has never transferred pokemon to different games (played all of them since the beginning) the constant bitching and moaning is so damn old.
Some people do not care about limits on older pokemon, hell i think its kinda dope to limit them.
Kinda like how Black/White were my favorite pokemon games since it limited the pokemon thru the main story to only new ones.
I'm stoked to explore a new region, meet new characters, and see new pokemon. It has everything I want out of a new pokemon game and yet this opinion is "wrong" and "controversial" to some and its like calm down.

jaekeem

Oct 27, 2017
the sound effects sound weird

maybe it's the youtube compression. they sound really low quality

cainhxrst

Nov 10, 2018
Holy fuck that was a fantastic trailer. I'm really liking the way they've been handling the pre-release so far as most of the stuff they've shown off doesn't actually seem that spoilery? We've mainly been getting reveals related to gyms and how the league works, and we haven't even seen the early rodent/bird/bug yet (assuming galar has those).

I think the only thing that would ruin my excitement for this game is if we were to get to release and find out that pretty much every new pokemon was revealed earlier and there's nothing left to discover. Other than that , I don't think I've ever been this excited for a main-series release. The art style looks more anime than ever, the character designs are the strongest they've ever been, everything we've heard of the soundtrack sounds great, and Galar seems like a pretty big region. This was shown off at the treehouse stream too but it seems like the online features work really similar to the PSS.

November can't come fast enough

fourfourfun

Oct 27, 2017
England
No random battles, yes. The rest no.

Now, in addition to seeing pokemon on the overworld, there are some areas where you can see a '?'. If you walk into that, it begins an encounter... so they're avoidable yet still random I believe.

Ok that's cool. Boy seems to like the freedom of just walking around, so it would be nice to see that continue.

Farrac

Nov 3, 2017
Alcalá de Henares, Spain
Yeah, I hope they pick this up in polish.

Basically the animation seems to start where Charizard's head rests naturally, but didn't move with Charizard's head
I feel like a lot of the times people mistake move animations with Pokémon animations. I even seem to recall you showing off the new Steel Move as an example of good animation previously. Most move animations are cool, but the Pokémon animations are really lacking in comparison. They don't mesh well together. That is why moves that have very little substance like Tail Whip are the ones people complain the most: because there's nothing hiding the fact that Pokémon are poorly animated.

That was already a problem in Sun and Moon. Z-Moves were awesome, but they kinda felt flat when the Pokémon were almost T-posing all the way. Take Toucannon using Supersonic Skystrike, for instance.

Compare that to specific unique Z-Moves like UltraNecrozma's Light that Burns the Sky where the Pokémon are animated in conjuction to the move and you can see my point.

I actually used a Toucannon in my first playthrough of Moon and had a lot of fun with the Z-move because it looked so goofy. But now that Pokémon are being culled and animations are being cited as the reason it's not as fun anymore. I think it is fair for people now to expect Battle Revolution levels of animation were Pokémon actually interact better with the moves they are unleashing. I'd personally be fine with that tradeoff, even if I'd also probably disagree with their priorities, I never really needed the good animations. But hey, the least you could do is make sure Charizard breathes fire from its mouth, Blastoise shoots water from its cannons and Pokémon move their tail, if they have one, when using Tail Whip.

Amiablepercy

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
California

Since it began and as more people joined ResetEra because of all the "hot scoops" the toxicity has increased 10 fold . I think though that is just the nature of popularity. I don't mind people having their opinions about this new game but the aggressive obnoxiousness has gotten old fast. Keyboard toughguys.

Beastie91

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Bay Area CA
Give it to me already Gamefreak!! I Need It!!! Shied and Death Stranding keep knocking eachother out for my most anticipated game good times ahead

AllChan7

Tries to be a positive role model
Apr 30, 2019
Thats all well and good but voicing it in every single thread to people who can do fuck all about it does nothing but force people to join in on your misery.

The lack of national dex sucks. the reasoning is bullshit. the animations are wonky and yes Gamefreak needs to do better. BUT at the same time not everyone wants to have to wade through the same posts every time some new pokemon news happens. Not everyone wants to focus on the negatives all the time.

Contrary to what many seem to think constant negative criticism doesn't actually foster much discussion as yall think. Its kind of a one way street and honestly tends to only end in these meta discussions.

I agree. Its getting just a bit tiresome seeing the same type of comments in Pokemon threads. I'm not saying people should be excited if they aren't but at a certain point you gotta realize that saying the same thing won't change much. GF has heard a mountain of criticism. I do hope they take it seriously for Gen 9. This is coming from someone genuinely excited for SwSh

Miller

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Since it began and as more people joined ResetEra because of all the "hot scoops" the toxicity has increased 10 fold . I think though that is just the nature of popularity. I don't mind people having their opinions about this new game but the aggressive obnoxiousness has gotten old fast. Keyboard toughguys.

If you've got an issue with a poster, please take it up with them. This nebulous finger-waving into the ether serves no purpose. If people in this thread are being "aggressively obnoxious", report them or talk to them. Like, what is this post? It's like performance art or something. I don't even understand it. Just talk to people. It's not hard. Let's please just stay on topic now.

not the only new trailer, Ga Ole also got a new trailer

Love the design of the trainers. I wonder if side games will be more inclined to keep megas around? Especially considering mega evolution is still very much a presence in the anime. Will be kinda jarring for it to just disappear

Amiablepercy

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
California
If you've got an issue with a poster, please take it up with them. This nebulous finger-waving into the ether serves no purpose. If people in this thread are being "aggressively obnoxious", report them or talk to them. Like, what is this post? It's like performance art or something. I don't even understand it. Just talk to people. It's not hard. Let's please just stay on topic now.

Love the design of the trainers. I wonder if side games will be more inclined to keep megas around? Especially considering mega evolution is still very much a presence in the anime. Will be kinda jarring for it to just disappear

Report me if you have a problem with my post. It's quite obvious a lot of people agree. You aren't a mod so move along.

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Well we know Masters will have megas at least and that'll be going on for a while. They haven't even revealed all of the well known named characters that have megas yet so they'll definitely still be promoting those designs at least somewhere.

Off the top of my head

Trace and Mega Pidgeot
Zinnia and Mega Salamence
Lysandre and Mega Gyarados
Maxie and Mega Camerupt
Archie and Mega Sharpedo
Dexio and Mega Alakazam
Lisia and Mega Altaria

Miller

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Well we know Masters will have megas at least and that'll be going on for a while. They haven't even revealed all of the well known named characters that have megas yet so they'll definitely still be promoting those designs at least somewhere.

Off the top of my head

Trace and Mega Pidgeot
Zinnia and Mega Salamence
Lysandre and Mega Gyarados
Maxie and Mega Camerupt
Archie and Mega Sharpedo
Dexio and Mega Alakazam

Ah, I forgot about Masters! That's true.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That Arceus move, is it supposed to be Judgement?
I'd assume so since they're all the signature moves

I'd say a definite yes. the question is what forms the spinoffs will take. there surprisingly hasn't been a new, major spinoff announced for switch since Rumble. kinda though Mystery Dungeon would have been announced by now