• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Are you buying the game physically, digitally?

• Physically

Votes: 620 42.2%
  • As a gift physically

Votes: 18 1.2%
  • Digitally

Votes: 483 32.9%
  • As a gift digitally

Votes: 4 0.3%
  • Neither

Votes: 260 17.7%
  • One Digitally and One Physically?

Votes: 27 1.8%
  • Both Digital or Physical?

Votes: 56 3.8%

• Total voters

Alexhex

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Grr I wanna watch all the video reviews tomorrow but don't want to see any new mons. Really wondering what'll be embargoed and what won't be. Maybe I'll listen to them in another tab.

or I could just read them. Like some sort of old person

Ex-Psych

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder how fast the thread "Pokemon Sword and Shield is being review bombed on Metacritic" will get created on the day of release.

Edit:removed dumb guessing game

Last edited:

IzzyRX

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I wonder how fast the thread "Pokemon Sword and Shield is being review bombed on Metacritic" will get created on the day of release.

Bonus points if you can accurately guess the user that makes the thread.
We already had people banned today, let's not do that.
Let's keep this thread positive.

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
Anyone know when Famitsu drops?

There's supposed to be a big Pokemon blowout in the coming issue.

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
I think even a few years after its release fans will be divided on it with some absolutely loving it and saying best thing since gen v and some saying it's the worst ever.

Yup, I loved sun and moon but some act like it's the worst thing they ever did. The hand holding was a bit much sure but the jolly vibes made that a non issue for me

Jan 16, 2019
Pokemon Sword and Shield ( Pocket Monsters Sword and Shield in Japan) can be a great game, though it has to be absolute brutal for Junichi Masuda & his team, as well as Creatures Inc. They literally had to:
  • Rework texture, lighting map, etc of all the Pokemon model they use in-game so it actually functional on Switch,
  • Design a whole new region
  • Make more new characters & cities, etc.,
  • Design and make more than "100 new Pokemon and form" from scratch
  • Bring in a lot of classic soundtracks, remix a lot of them including making new one,
  • Tweak the balance of all Pokemon in-game,
  • And more.
That's certainly not easy work. People think that this game is literally a port upgrade from SM, USUM when it's really not. They had put a lot of time, energy, thought & care into it. They tried their best to make Pokemon fans happy by making a biggest Pokemon game.

And all they get is a ton of backlash and some extreme like death threat...

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
Pokemon Sword and Shield ( Pocket Monsters Sword and Shield in Japan) can be a great game, though it has to be absolute brutal for Junichi Masuda & his team, as well as Creatures Inc. They literally had to:
  • Rework texture, lighting map, etc of all the Pokemon model they use in-game so it actually functional on Switch,
  • Design a whole new region
  • Make more new characters & cities, etc.,
  • Design and make more than "100 new Pokemon and form" from scratch
  • Bring in a lot of classic soundtracks, remix a lot of them including making new one,
  • Tweak the balance of all Pokemon in-game,
  • And more.
That's certainly not easy work. People think that this game is literally a port upgrade from SM, USUM when it's really not. They had put a lot of time, energy, thought & care into it. They tried their best to make Pokemon fans happy by making a biggest Pokemon game.

And all they get is a ton of backlash and some extreme like death threat...

Which is why Game Freak needs to go back to a 4 year development cycle. I know new Pokemon/gimmicks/merchandise are alluring, but the quality of the games has slipped since 2013 and although I'm spoiler-free on Gen 8, the sentiment I'm seeing is that it's in the same bucket as Gens 6 and 7.

Jan 16, 2019
Which is why Game Freak needs to go back to a 4 year development cycle. I know new Pokemon/gimmicks/merchandise are alluring, but the quality of the games has slipped since 2013 and although I'm spoiler-free on Gen 8, the sentiment I'm seeing is that it's in the same bucket as Gens 6 and 7.

I mean, this game is still around 3 years development cycle, it definitely need more but GF does not have that much control over these things, besides, a lot of fans pissed off when they announce USUM and Let's Go.

But hey, this is their first "true HD console" title, they will get better at the graphic in Gen 9, just like Gen 5 compared to 4, 7 to 6

Protoman200X

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
N. Vancouver, BC, Canada
I listened to the sample of the song Toby Fox has produced for Sword and Shield and it needs more trumpets it was alright.

It's cool that he was able to contribute a piece to the game's OST, but reading the personal letter of how he was able to get the chance was quite heartwarming.

Saori

Avenger
Dec 12, 2018
Ahhhh. It's happening. Amazon says my order is out for delivery and arrives tomorrow on the 13th. Now it is so close. Can't wait to finally jump in.

Jbone115

Oct 25, 2017
I'm so done with that leak thread - the rampant toxicity is legitimately upsetting me and it isn't worth it. This thread seems pretty chill, Ill stay here. 😌

Deleted member 224

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, this game is still around 3 years development cycle, it definitely need more but GF does not have that much control over these things, besides, a lot of fans pissed off when they announce USUM and Let's Go.

But hey, this is their first "true HD console" title, they will get better at the graphic in Gen 9, just like Gen 5 compared to 4, 7 to 6
Isn't this what we've been saying since X and Y?

I think it's pretty clear that GF needs more resources and time when making these games or the discourse around their games is only going to get worse.

Jbone115

Oct 25, 2017
how bad is it? I haven't been there in a while
Honestly it's really just a few posters that are continuously using hyperbole to insult both Gamefreak themselves any anyone who dares to attempt to rationalize their game design decisions. Turning the positive #thankyougamefreak hashtag into a mocking session was pretty much the last straw for me.

Anyway, looking forward to playing these games for myself soon, and hopefully getting into competitive battling afterwards.

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
imagine being so fucking mad about something you dont have to fucking buy nor play.

holy fucking shit.

grown up adults complaining about a fucking children's game

you can criticize GameFreak all you want, but there is no freaking need to be so toxic

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
Official Staff Communication
Everyone, drop the cross-thread drama and get back on topic.