• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Are you buying the game physically, digitally?

• Physically

Votes: 620 42.2%
  • As a gift physically

Votes: 18 1.2%
  • Digitally

Votes: 483 32.9%
  • As a gift digitally

Votes: 4 0.3%
  • Neither

Votes: 260 17.7%
  • One Digitally and One Physically?

Votes: 27 1.8%
  • Both Digital or Physical?

Votes: 56 3.8%

• Total voters

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm unfortunately hitting this conclusion as well. It seems difficult to buy into their claims of technical and time constraints now that we know so many of the Kanto Pokemon from Lets Go aren't included.

But they never said they're going to include as much as possible...they said they were going to include those that would fit the region. They clearly made efforts to balance the repartition.

Why don't people get this...

cainhxrst

Nov 10, 2018
ok one thing I am unironically enjoying about the dex cuts is watching streamers currently go through the list of cut mons and react lol

Pokemaniac

Oct 25, 2017
Only two generations were that long and one of them was seemingly because of issues behind the scene.
Out of the first 5 generations, I'm pretty sure 3 was the only one that actually made it out in only 3 years. From the original release of Red and Green to Gold and Silver was only a few months shy of 4 years, and Red and Green themselves I believe are known to have been in development for 5+ years. It wasn't until Gen 7 that they managed two 3 year dev cycles in a row.

Greywaren

Jul 16, 2019
Spain
Oh no, not in this thread too, please.

I'll only say this regarding the Dex cuts: If you want an HD Pokémon game, and you want one every year, you can't have the whole Dex. It's just impossible. It's impossible for GF and it's impossible for any studio. They had to lessen the workload if they wanted to deliver a big game, and the easiest way is to chop some Pokémon, which will just be gone for a while and will return later on at some point. It's not that bad.

cainhxrst

Nov 10, 2018
I'm honestly still pretty excited tbh. . . . still so much locations to see/discover, story details, etc.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
We had a nice run of non-dex talk for a little bit.
Yeah, I don't understand why people started openly complaining about that here when there are multiple threads on it. People are trying use this thread to avoid everything and others are just trying to ruin that by either outright posting stuff or tempting people.

Wonderrade

The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
hi folks! avoiding spoilers about pokemon in the dex but i was wondering if there was any news on things like stat changes for old pokemon, changes to existing abilities or even changes to things like IVs, EVs and natures

(obv galarian forms have different stats, i mean more like some of the small stat buffs some pokes have gotten in the last few gens)

Greywaren

Jul 16, 2019
Spain
hi folks! avoiding spoilers about pokemon in the dex but i was wondering if there was any news on things like stat changes for old pokemon, changes to existing abilities or even changes to things like IVs, EVs and natures

(obv galarian forms have different stats, i mean more like some of the small stat buffs some pokes have gotten in the last few gens)

We won't know until the datamining begins. It hasn't started yet, so we'll have to wait for a while.

Deleted member 176

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I'll only say this regarding the Dex cuts: If you want an HD Pokémon game, and you want one every year, you can't have the whole Dex. It's just impossible. It's impossible for GF and it's impossible for any studio. They had to lessen the workload if they wanted to deliver a big game, and the easiest way is to chop some Pokémon, which will just be gone for a while and will return later on at some point. It's not that bad.
This argument doesn't fly based on what actually happened

PirateKingERA

Aug 22, 2018
Houston, Texas

No spoilers on that, the game hasn't been datamined yet.

Wonderrade

The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Feb 26, 2019
Tijuana

I don't want one every year. GF does. Or TPC does. Or everybody who is in charge of the Pokémon franchise.

It's impossible if they want to prioritize other features instead of including every Pokémon. Which is their right. I mean, I don't think they deserve any of the hate comments and stuff, but it really is an unfortunate situation that we've reached this point in the franchise, as players, as fans. It's just weird and low-key depressing to think about the future now.

KingWillance

Oct 25, 2017
In 11 days I am going to be playing a new Pokémon game and that has me very excited. There it is, probably the most banal thing I've said in this thread

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
SWSH are the perfect base to build DPP remakes upon. Gen 8 as a whole is gonna be glorious.

brinstar

User requested ban
Oct 25, 2017
I'm just ready for the game at this point. I don't think I'll be following any more pre-release Pokemon stuff on forums, this was miserable. If they really do Sinnoh remakes next there's no way in hell that will be an enjoyable discussion to follow lol.

cainhxrst

Nov 10, 2018
given recent trends (USUM and LGPE) and ORAS introducing new mega's, I do see sinnoh remakes giving us something new, whether it be new g-max forms, mythicals, regional forms, etc. I agree, overall I think gen 8 will be great in the end

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
I'm really interesting to see how creative the new Pokemon are given the new approach GF has had to creating them the past two gens. Them holding off so much info builds on that.

Charlie0108

Oct 29, 2017
I'd be really disappointed if we didn't get Sinnohian forms in the D/P remakes, it feels like the perfect way of adding new designs to pre-existing regions.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
I'm really interesting to see how creative the new Pokemon are given the new approach GF has had to creating them the past two gens. Them holding off so much info builds on that.
You'll lose your mind at the creativity of some Pokémon. The reactions in the leaks thread were insane.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
Wouldn't a high MC make the thread more of a shitshow
The higher it gets, the worse the thread will be, lol.

In general, reviewers and the most outspoken fans of the Pokémon series couldn't be further apart. Like Dexit and the post-game does not bear a lot of weight on a lot of reviewer's scores, while it is much more important to those fans.
Hey, fans getting mad at reviews because their franchise got high reviews would at least be a fresh kind of a fiery review thread.

Greywaren

Jul 16, 2019
Spain
I don't want one every year. GF does. Or TPC does. Or everybody who is in charge of the Pokémon franchise.

It's impossible if they want to prioritize other features instead of including every Pokémon. Which is their right. I mean, I don't think they deserve any of the hate comments and stuff, but it really is an unfortunate situation that we've reached this point in the franchise, as players, as fans. It's just weird and low-key depressing to think about the future now.

A lot of people go crazy if they don't have a Pokémon game every year. I've seen it. That year we didn't get a new game, everyone went crazy. Also there's the fact that Pokémon isn't just games anymore, it's anime, it's TCG, it's merchandising... and those have to be out consistently. You can't just delay the games because it disrupts literally everything else.

At this point, they need to release something new every year unless they want to change how everything in TPC works.

And hey, I'm sorry you find the future of the franchise depressing. I'm very hopeful. They're going in a new direction with the games, one that allows them more creativity and has less restrictions in what they can do. Now they aren't forced to pump the games with hundreds of Pokémon we've seen a million times already just so a fraction of their fanbase won't become manbabies. They can develop new ideas, new concepts, new ways of playing, instead of doing "the same but bigger" every time, which was exactly what people have been complaining about for years.

And as I said before, HD development requires a lot more time and resources. There's no magic "make everything HD" button. You have to either put more time into it, or cut some corners, and they can't put more time into it right now. Maybe they will in the future, who knows? Maybe GameFreak will grow a lot now because they have to grow a lot to keep up, but from what I've seen so far, I'd say they've done a magnificent work with their first HD title.

And now I'm done discussing this. It's an exhausting conversation because most people have very little idea of how game development works and it's hard to understand how impressive a franchise like Pokémon is from a development standpoint.

Do those pics come exclusively from the in game screenshots, or did the artwork from the strategy guide also leak? I got to see some blurred pictures from the book on day 1, but I don't know if by now they leaked in better resolution.

Exclusively from screenshots and Discord conversations with the leakers, I believe. The guidebook leaker was around for a short while and there were no types there.

Nov 4, 2019
Lurking here when the leaks began. Signed up to warn others that the "cut pokemon" pastebin still has spoilers about new pokemon. I was looking if one of my favorites was on it. He was, but his pre-evo wasn't. So I guess there's a galarian evolution for it.

Deleted member 2791

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
given recent trends (USUM and LGPE) and ORAS introducing new mega's, I do see sinnoh remakes giving us something new, whether it be new g-max forms, mythicals, regional forms, etc. I agree, overall I think gen 8 will be great in the end

I think they'll go all in with Gigantamax and Max Raid Battles in Gen 4 remakes. Especially raids, as they're an excellent idea to make legendary fights more interesting.

cainhxrst

Nov 10, 2018
Yeah. While a lot of the outraged fandom is saying "we don't need yearly releases", after seeing the mess that was the fanbase back in 2015 when we had a gap year, 2018 in the leadup to LGPE's announcement, yes we do need yearly releases lol.

Deleted member 3815

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why's that? If anything it's one of the games I definitely want available to me at all times, haha

Physical is better for me as I can swap the carts in and out when trading between myself.

In 11 days I am going to be playing a new Pokémon game and that has me very excited. There it is, probably the most banal thing I've said in this thread

Infidel!! How dare you get excited, don't you know that you're suppose to be gashing your teeth and be negative about the game. Some Pokémon fan you are. 🤣

Okay silly jokes aside, I am the same as well. Pokémon Sword and Shield is just ticking all the right boxes for me and with Leon being a British South Asian and champion with his ace being a Charizard, my favorite Pokémon, well it feels like the game was made for me.

My only problem with the game is the skin tone option for the players is really limited, it's either white, slightly not white and really dark. There's no in between as my skin tone is medium brown and it doesn't exist.

Pokemaniac

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah. While a lot of the outraged fandom is saying "we don't need yearly releases", after seeing the mess that was the fanbase back in 2015 when we had a gap year, 2018 in the leadup to LGPE's announcement, yes we do need yearly releases lol.
A very large contributing factor to 2015 was the cancelled Z version. I don't think that situation would have happened without all the Z stuff showing up in all the side media.

Serif

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Weird that this will be the first Pokemon game I ever play on a television. My joy-cons are sent in for repair so it will be surreal to sit at the opening screens with a comfy pro controller instead of staring at a small screen with cramped controls.

Pokemaniac

Oct 25, 2017
Pokemon Z never existed. There's no evidence of that. GF simply needed more time for SuMo.
So you seriously think they made all those Zygarde forms (which featured heavily in the XY anime, I should add) for Sun and Moon? Plus the Eternal Flower Floette that goes unused to this day? Not to mention the anime literally adding Z to the title.

They very clearly were planning on making Z, but scrapped it at some point after all its new forms were made.