• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which starter Pokemon did you go with?

• Charmander

Votes: 240 41.3%
  • Squirtle

Votes: 184 31.7%
  • Bulbasaur

Votes: 157 27.0%

• Total voters

Badcoo

May 9, 2018
The one that started them all and will always have a special place for me.

Tell me who was your first pick in on your first run.

CarthOhNoes

Someone is plagiarizing this post
Oct 25, 2017
MY BOI

AAUvwnioY2BUBPqPrtG6ajSXfI942epZ4Q2np9nHr1ac=s900-c-k-c0x00ffffff-no-rj

Merc

Jun 10, 2018
Well I must say the voting results so far is pretty spot on. I remember most people picking Charmander then Squirtle with a few Bulbasaurs. The results: 47% Charmander, 31% Squirtle, and 21% Bulbasaur is right on.

King Alamat

Nov 22, 2017
I chose Bulbasaur because it was number one. Then again, I wound up trading it for something that could get me through Mt. Moon and ended up with an over-leveled, ice-breathing Raticate that hated me with every fibre of its being.

kimbo99

Feb 21, 2021
Squirtle because I was 7 years old and saw Blastoise on my game cartridge. I also thought Charmander's story was sad in the anime and didn't want anything to do with it.

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
I had Red and picked Charmander since Charizard is on the box/game, and my friend already had Blue and Squirtle (who was a Blastoise by the time he got to Vermilion city, lol).

These days I just kind of see it as a difficulty selection based on their reliance on other Pokemon. Bulbasaur is easy because it can effortlessly solo almost half the game before wanting help from other Pokemon. Squirtle wants help by the third gym. Charmander wants help from the start.

Bwooduhs

Oct 25, 2017
Charmander, the hardest way to start the game. Still grind for that Butterfree every playthrough.

Oct 25, 2017
Squirtle. I don't care what other people say, I love the cannons on Blastoise lol. My favorite final evolution of the starters in first gen.

RoadDogg

Oct 27, 2017
Usually bulba because there aren't really any other grass time I like the gen 1. They are all the best though

Joltik

Oct 25, 2017
I chose Squirtle because I thought it was the cutest at the time. Also, the anime helped. Like how can I not choose the monster that wore a pair of sweet shades?

Deleted member 44122

i think i picked bulbasaur the very first time, only because it was strong against the first 2 gym leaders though :P

Oct 25, 2017
First ever run in FireRed (my first exposure to Kanto) was Charmander but in the 15 or so years since, I've grown a soft spot for the garlic frog dinosaur thing.

59d55df8a3a9328e2750759d887943cd.jpg

Crono

Oct 25, 2017
Charmander alllll dayyy. Eventually I played with em all, but bulba was thr least of thr three

Ryan_09

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Fort Wayne, IN, USA
I grew up a Bulbasaur kid; nowadays I tend to use Squirtle. My last play through of Red I used Charmander; Swords Dance ± Earthquake + Hyper Beam is so fun.

dasu

Aug 2, 2018
I don't think that the results here should surprise anyone.
Charmander's evolution is a dragon, and the only starter pokemon without blue skin.
Bulbasaur didn't have representation on box art (at least where I am) on the original release.

Anyhow, I picked Squirtle because it would evolve into a giant gun-turtle (yes, I was very much so a dumb kid back then).