• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Is there a need of separate remake series like let's go?

• Yes

Votes: 368 48.9%
  • No

Votes: 385 51.1%

• Total voters

aLoneWalker

Attempted to create multiple alt accounts
Banned
Jul 16, 2019
User banned (1 week): hostility toward other users, lazy devs rhetoric, history of similar behavior
If the game did not appeal tot he hardcore players than that means many of the nearly 11 million buyers are new or casual players correct? it is currently in-line with the ORAS sales so that would mean the series picked up new player who would have skipped a regular remake or entry. That would be a success especially when combined with the higher price point.
Well sure as long as there's people that's gonna buy every developer's spit it makes sense to make a zero effort game that makes 10 million sales.

Colocho

Oct 25, 2017
Not every Nintendo franchise though Mario Kart, Mario party Donkey Kong, Kirby, Yoshi, 2D Mario, Bayonetta all of this have seen better results in other consoles.
Mario Kart is too soon to tell, it might end up the best selling one at the rate it's going
Mario Party could be the second best selling, depending on when the next one is released.
Bayonetta is not even a Nintendo franchise LMAO, only one game is exclusive to Nintendo.

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
ok lets get this clear, Pokemon Lets Go! costs $60 on a $300 game only machine, Pokemon Go! Is a free app on a smartphone device.

Free! > $360

Colocho

Oct 25, 2017
If Let's Go were to sell much more than past remakes, you'd be looking at a 1 in 2 attach rate. None of those remakes were released to that small an audience.

Series which generally sell much less than Pokémon have been seeing record-breaking sales- there's much less room for Pokémon to grow than that.
Yes Pokemon has groom to grow, for that it needs to attract new people, which probably didn't do with Let's go, which is the point of this discussion.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
I bought every Pokémon game ever except Let's go and a lot of people I know have the same mindset, they were useless and dumb. If they are gonna announce a Let's Go Johto/Hoenn/Whatever, I'm gonna skip it without a second thought.

And the sales are underwhelming.
If your post was representative of the general audience, the you'd actually be proving OP wrong and saying Let's Go was a success by OP's weirdly restrictive rules, but we have no way of knowing that.
Lol at sales being underwhelming, please read again and focus this time.

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
I'm already greatly upset with Sword and Shield and Game Freak's recent decisions, and I also did not like some of their choices that they made in Let's Go! Pikachu and Eevee.

Give me my Johto Let's Go! games with NO FEATURES REMOVED and with the ability to capture more Pokemon from other gens and I'll be content. Oh and they better not ever take away the masterful new Legendary battle music for Ho-Oh and Lugia.

Wolf

Oct 25, 2017
Insinuating that anything less than 11 million sales is a failure signals a huge problem with market perception in this industry

Sieglinde

Feb 20, 2019
Mario Kart is too soon to tell, it might end up the best selling one at the rate it's going
Mario Party could be the second best selling, depending on when the next one is released.
Bayonetta is not even a Nintendo franchise LMAO, only one game is exclusive to Nintendo.
Well even if Bayo doesn't count, all the other games i mentioned are not the highest selling on the Switch, you said every franchise is selling better than ever but now maybe 2nd for Mario Party is selling better than ever? and its too soon to tell for Mario Kart but not for Let's Go? just don't make hyperbole statements to prove a point is that simple.

KingM

Oct 28, 2017
Well sure as long as there's people that's gonna buy every developer's spit it makes sense to make a zero effort game that makes 10 million sales.
That seems a bit hyperbolic. If the game were of poor quality it's very doubtful it would have done as well. The game has appeal (nostalgia, Go integration, slight change to the formula and a more streamlined battle system) The game is different form the regular entries and more basic, but that is the point. Making something accessible does not mean zero effort just an emphasis on different things. It's one of the best selling games ont he console, if it were to gain bad word of mouth it would have had much shorter legs.

Yes Pokemon has groom to grow, for that it needs to attract new people, which probably didn't do with Let's go, which is the point of this discussion.
That is currently something that is impossible to tell though.

Lord Azrael

Oct 25, 2017
While I despise the very concept of the Let's Go games and voted no, the OP is making absolutely awful arguments. For one, how can you say "oh opportunity cost, Diamond and Pearl remake is projected to sell 15-16m"? Those remakes aren't out yet, you don't know how much they'll sell, and it's baseless to say they'll follow the trend when they also might take a hit from being $60 games. Not to mention the fact that you have no idea who bought Let's Go. Wait for sales on Sword and Shield before you proclaim that it didn't help grow the audience.

Punished Dan

Oct 27, 2017
I really liked Let's Go.
I want a Let's Go Johto and I want it now.
I'm really not interested in Sword & Shield at this stage, I'd sooner take a new Let's Go game.

Sailent

Mar 2, 2018
This is like saying "Avatar" by James Cameron was a failure because many people disliked, that doesn't mean at all that the movie sold pretty big ("big" being an euphemism).

I would love to see Game Freak working on other things that are not pokemon though.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
2 games are exclusive to Nintendo.

Krysuk

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Should have launched after Switch Lite, price on entry is a huge factor.

Edit : forced motion control, oops it wouldn't work.

switch lite has gyroscopes in it - the official specs confirm they do. Why wouldn't it work? I played handheld pokemon go with joycons attached 99% of the time no problem

There are a few dumb articles around that forget this

Sou Da

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People in here are actually asking for Kanto to be remade for the 4th fucking time, I can't stand nostalgia.

sensui-tomo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
give me a lets go johto with the option to fight random pokemon and you'll fix my main grip with lets go. But i'm a hard sucker for gen 2 and i sadly missed out on SS/HG so i'd buy a remake day one.

TreeMePls

Oct 25, 2017
Let's Go doesn't have much reason to exist since subsequent games might end up bringing back things that were cut like abilities and held items. after that, there's no point in having two remake series. either make he next LG game Gen 4-based or kill off the series. the idea that LG is more "casual" is bunk. it's the same pokemon game as we've been playing, just the catching is different and some things are out. the core experience hasn't changed
If anything Let's Go should've went the whole way and at least tried to change up the core game considerably. At least then they'd have a series dedicated to trying out new ideas and taking some of them back into the mainline if they were applicable. As it is it really is just way too redundant and takes away resources the mainline games desperately need

Psychonaut

Jan 11, 2018
Its objective was to pull new players into the Pokemon RPG series. It is literally impossible to assess whether it has failed in its goal because we have yet to see the release of a brand new Pokemon RPG since Let's Go hit. If Sword and Shield are devastatingly huge flops, then it will have failed, certainly, and they can feel alright about scrapping the idea entirely (although they'd actually probably do the opposite). If, however, Sword and Shield blow every other new Pokemon game ever out of the water, then Let's Go will at least have the appearance of having achieved its primary purpose. Judging by the performance we've seen out of FIRE EMBLEM of all games, I'm expecting Sword and Shield to do unheard of sales.

fourfourfun

Oct 27, 2017
England
Yeah, my boy loved it ploughed through it despite not being able to read. I'd like to see more of these for him. Also got him into Pokemon Go.

FancyPants

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
What an insane thread, OP. The game is by far the best selling "spinoff" in the series, it was launched on a platform with far, far, FAR less market penetration and a much smaller userbase than any other game in the series and still sold an astonishing amount. We don't know how many new people were drawn in because of it, but taken as its own thing it's a resounding, gigantic success.

TreeMePls

Oct 25, 2017
What an insane thread, OP. The game is by far the best selling "spinoff" in the series, it was launched on a platform with far, far, FAR less market penetration and a much smaller userbase than any other game in the series and still sold an astonishing amount. We don't know how many new people were drawn in because of it, but taken as its own thing it's a resounding, gigantic success.
The game isn't a spinoff and it sold inline with any other remake that was released.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Its objective was to pull new players into the Pokemon RPG series. It is literally impossible to assess whether it has failed in its goal because we have yet to see the release of a brand new Pokemon RPG since Let's Go hit. If Sword and Shield are devastatingly huge flops, then it will have failed, certainly, and they can feel alright about scrapping the idea entirely (although they'd actually probably do the opposite). If, however, Sword and Shield blow every other new Pokemon game ever out of the water, then Let's Go will at least have the appearance of having achieved its primary purpose. Judging by the performance we've seen out of FIRE EMBLEM of all games, I'm expecting Sword and Shield to do unheard of sales.
if SS achieves relatively newer highs, would that even be attributed to LG? or could that be due to the Switch?. unlike Fire Emblem, Pokemon Let's Go is on the lower side of sales for remakes so far

Gles

Aug 4, 2019
I hope they continue with this series. I really liked it, my sister loved it and she doesn't really play games much.

DanteLinkX

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Op is nuts, compare the install bases of the hardware these games were released on, if lets go did 10millions thats around 1/3 of switch's install base. No way a game that sells around that is considered failure

blacktout

Jan 16, 2018
If the hypothetical dilemma that Nintendo is facing is "Should we continue to make Let's Go! games or go back to making standard remakes?" then those sale numbers don't really tell us much, since they imply that LGP&E are selling roughly as well as the standard remakes (or perhaps slightly/somewhat better launch aligned/relative to price point and install base).

The information we'd need to know whether Nintendo would be smart to continue with the Let's Go series is:
A. How many people bought a new Nintendo Switch just to play Let's Go.
B. How many people who bought Let's Go also bought the Poke Ball Plus controller (since that's a source of income that a remake with standard controls wouldn't provide)
C. How many people were satisfied with their purchase and would buy future entries in the series vs. how many bought it and were disappointed.
D. How much a new entry in the Let's Go series would cost. Would it be more or less expensive than a standard remake, given that both games would have to release on an HD console?

Aside from maybe point B (are peripheral sales reported anywhere?), we simply don't have access to any of this information. So the only way to know if it makes sense for the Let's Go series to continue ... is to wait to see if Nintendo announces another Let's Go game. (Circular, I know.)

Mass_Pincup

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Now, let's see how it performed.
As of June 30, more than 7 months after released it's still below 11 million. Rate has been also slowing w.r.t previous mainline games since the last two quarters

Now's let look at the other remakes which didn't have any of the above mentioned advantages
Pokemon LGFR : 11.82 million
Pokemon HGSS : 12.72 million
Pokemon ORAS : 14.21 million
As you can see, the standard remakes has been steadily increasing in sales and most probably diamond and pearl remakes will sell in the 15-16 million range if going by the trend without considering the switch boost, crazy right?
And where will Let's go end with? Probably below or best case scenario at par with ORAS.

To make such a statement you have to look at when the game actually released before even accounting for the fact that even while selling less, it doesn't mean that it failed to bring in a new audience. But let's put that aside for now.

LGFR released in 2018, less than 2 years into the Switch lifecycle with Ultra Sun and Moon releasing the year prior and Sword and Shield a year after.
HGSS released in 2010, 6 years into the DS lifecycle, with Platinum releasing the year prior and Black and White a year later.
ORAS released in 2014, 3 years into the 3DS lifecycle with X&Y releasing a year prior and Sun and Moon releasing 2 year later.

I think you can see how all of those situations are actually a bit different, and that's without taking into account install base size.

Psychonaut

Jan 11, 2018
if SS achieves relatively newer highs, would that even be attributed to LG? or could that be due to the Switch?. unlike Fire Emblem, Pokemon Let's Go is on the lower side of sales for remakes so far
That's why I said Let's Go would "at least have the appearance" of achieving it's goals if SWSH sells gangbusters. There's no way to definitively pinpoint what brings people to buy the new games, but Let's Go would certainly be assumed to have contributed some of those numbers. On the other hand, the only way you can call Let's Go an out-an-out failure is if SWSH doesn't sell, which... yeah that's gonna be a hard no from me.

Pokemaniac

Oct 25, 2017
Let's Go is such a conceptual dead end that it really doesn't warrant a continuation regardless. The more they continue, the more it just becomes soulless, worse versions of the normal remakes.

Nitpicker_Red

Nov 3, 2017
Edit: who said it was a sales failure? First read the OP, I said it failed its intended objective, no one is doubting that it made a big profit with respect to budget , but what about with respect to opportunity cost?

Before anyone calls me a troll, first hear me out.
1. Pokemon let's go was released to bring new audiences to the Pokemon video game franchise. To bring it to the notice of all those 500 million Pokemon go players.

[...]
And where will Let's go end with? Probably below or best case scenario at par with ORAS.

So is there need of a separate remake series like Let's go. It definitely failed its objective , so what do you think era?
How many newcomers/backcomers played the game, expanding the base audience, while how many veterans skipped on the game (as it was a costly retread of a retread)?

Maybe I'm seeing it that way because of the cases I've seen that are not representative of the whole, but I feel like it definitely attracted people that were mostly familiar with the anime but missed out on the games, while not being interesting for people already vaguely familiar with the games (like me) because of the limited scope of it.

Yes, players who stopped after Gen 1 and came back now would have strong nostalgia, but any player coming from Gen 2 or 3 would already have known an enhanced remake of the game/region, making Let's Go look less favorable for them.

The growth of the playerbase will be measured in the next mainline game more than on Let's Go's sales itself.

m051293

Oct 29, 2017
Pokémon XY
12/31/13 - 11.61m
03/31/14 - 12.26m (+0.65m)
06/30/14 - ? (can't find it)
Now - 16.40m

Pokémon ORAS
12/31/14 - 9.35m
03/31/15 - 9.94m (+0.59m)
06/30/15 - 10.27m (+0.33m)
Now - 14.21m

Pokémon Sun/Moon
12/31/16 - 14.69m
03/31/17 - 15.44m (+0.75m)
06/30/17 - 15.67m (+0.23m)
Now - 16.16m

Pokémon Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon
12/31/17 - 7.17m
03/31/18 - 7.51m (+0.34m)
06/30/18 - 7.72m (+0.21m)
Now - 8.47m

Pokémon LGPE
12/31/18 - 10.00m
03/31/19 - 10.63m (+0.63m)
06/30/19 - 10.98m (+0.35m)

LGPE through 3 quarters seems to be pacing fine I think? It's pace is ahead of all other remakes 7 months in - if it continues its edge on ORAS it should settle in at ~15M lifetime in a few years.

Oct 27, 2017
Wow, no one should put Pokemon Let's Go in the same sentence as "failed"...it was at 10.98 million as of June. It is selling incredibly well and was well received outside of the super hardcore Pokemon fans. It will and should continue.

Deleted member 2426

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No, there's no need. Let's go was a flop considering the reasons why it was conceived (this is evident and super obvious to those who don't have an unnerving attachment to videogames franchises)

I'd still buy Let's Go Totodile, of course.

Feb 22, 2019
I really hope LGPE was a one-off so I have a chance of getting a proper Gen 4 remake. Although I fear that it will be a Let's Go Sinnoh instead with forced motion control and way less features.

Complicated

Oct 29, 2017
Let's Go and Pokemon Go are closer to the pokemon game I want to play than anything else they've done. I hope they continue trying new things after the standard release this year.

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York
Personally, my only issue with Let's Go was the control scheme. Just let me use my Pro Controller and we're good, everything else to me was pretty much fine. If they change that in the future, I'll probably get those too (assuming they make a series out of Let's Go)

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
I'm not even sure why Let's Go is really considered something different from the other remakes. At the time FRLG were the oldest games in the series that didn't have remakes so Gen 1 was on deck. Yeah it dumbed down a bunch of the content and cut out a bunch of the Pokémon but that's what the mainline games have been trending towards too.

crpj31

Dec 13, 2017
Well, if Lets go failed to attract the hardcore fans and still sold on par with most of the remakes how it failed to attract new users? Probably the 4th gen remakes won't outsell it.

shem

Oct 25, 2017
How many 3ds units have been sold vs switch? I would guess the attach rate of Pokémon go is higher than the 3ds versions you're comparing them too.

I don't believe anyone has answered this at this point. Going further: https://kotaku.com/lifetime-sales-for-the-nintendo-switch-and-nintendo-3ds-1827990818

Three months before the release of let's go the 3ds had nearly 3.5 times as many units sold. Why would then a dip of 3 million units per OP's numbers be considered a failure? That would suggest nearly a 50% attach rate. I'm open to these numbers being out of date given them not including the console sales for the black friday season, however they're more context than the OP provides which is really a disingenuous comparison.