• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

¡ B 0 0 P !

Banned
Apr 4, 2019
Greater Toronto Area
There is no defense for this. There is no defense for this piss poor showing of a game. I am angry. I will shout and scream and tell GameFreak they're a garbage incompetent developer, because from what I've seen, they are.

It's not so much that GameFreak are incompetent but that they are rushed. They are only given 2-3 years to make a new Pokemon game. While also having to work on remakes and upgraded versions at the same time.

Now GameFreak isn't completely blameless. They do own a third of TPC, and for whatever reason have remained a small studio despite the fact they manage a billion dollar franchise that sells in the millions.

You'd think if they wanted a longer development time and more employees Nintendo would let them? Unless Nintendo is just being greed using the insane profit margins of Pokémon to pad their financial numbers?

killertofu

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
User Banned (2 Days): Personal Attacks and Hostility Over Multiple Posts in this Thread; Ignoring Staff Post
I'm not defending Game Freak? I was quashing some misinformation that is spreading. Learn the difference. Should I just let misinformation and lies spread because "grrr that Game Freak"? No. I have integrity. Screw off with that logic.

The whole point of the outrage isn't that they suck and are lagging behind every other developer (I personally don't think that's the case). The point of the outrage is a choice they made which suddenly made people heelturn on the positivity from the previous week

You're acting like their own personal PR. Are you? I get that your website lives and dies from the popularity of the franchise but you're stressing yourself out more by trying to deflect everyone's anger. If you want to defend them so badly, then go get a job at GameFreak. Otherwise, stick to your lane as a FAN WEBSITE.

And don't tell me where the outrage is. The lack of National Dex is the straw that broke the camel's back. I don't know about everyone else but I wouldn't say my feelings toward the game was 'positive'. It was 'more of the same, I guess I'll deal with it'. No more dude. I'm gonna drag them through the dirt.

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
I think they did a really good job with the look of the pokemon models
qmzhDpV.jpg

At the right angle in battle, they look like they could be in the cartoon. It would be nice if all the textures around them were at the same fidelity, but at least the elements in focus for 99% of the game will look good. And things seem to have improved even from the launch trailer, so I think the visuals still have time to improve

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
You're acting like their own personal PR. Are you? I get that your website lives and dies from the popularity of the franchise but you're stressing yourself out more by trying to deflect everyone's anger. If you want to defend them so badly, then go get a job at GameFreak. Otherwise, stick to your lane as a FAN WEBSITE.

And don't tell me where the outrage is. The lack of National Dex is the straw that broke the camel's back. I don't know about everyone else but I wouldn't say my feelings toward the game was 'positive'. It was 'more of the same, I guess I'll deal with it'. No more dude. I'm gonna drag them through the dirt.
You do that, but if you're going to spread misinformation then you can bet your ass I'm going to call you out on it.

Jun 2, 2019

Oh for fucks sake you can't be serious

Did you read what you just wrote?

killertofu

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
You do that, but if you're going to spread misinformation then you can bet your ass I'm going to call you out on it.

What's the misinformation when I say "this game looks like shit, I can't believe we've been letting GameFreak have a pass through all these years. This is their first HD game and they fuck it up this bad. The animations look like shit, the graphics look like shit, the frame rate looks like shit".

Tell me where that misinformation is?

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
What's the misinformation when I say "this game looks like shit, I can't believe we've been letting GameFreak have a pass through all these years. This is their first HD game and they fuck it up this bad. The animations look like shit, the graphics look like shit, the frame rate looks like shit".

Tell me where that misinformation is?
I was just talking in general because that's all I'm doing right now.

If people defending the cull were spreading misinformation, I'd slam that down as well

killertofu

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Yeah I did. I'm tired of Serebii coming in every Pokemon thread trying to defend GameFreak for their shit. Misinformation or not, he's the living embodiment of this gif.

AbleNeedyAustraliankestrel-max-1mb.gif

Guess what, people are allowed to be mad. People are allowed to be angry. Your defense isn't gonna make me suddenly go buy the game

Oct 25, 2017
The whole point of the outrage isn't that they suck and are lagging behind every other developer (I personally don't think that's the case). The point of the outrage is a choice they made which suddenly made people heelturn on the positivity from the previous week

People have been saying this stuff for years. Pressure has been building for a long time already. The reason why it all explodes now is that this is the straw that broke the camel's back. It's less of a heelturn and more like a rubber band that got stretched too far and finally snapped.
Gamefreak with their evident shortcomings have been given a lot of concessions and patience by fans, and now a lot of people are just done apologizing for them. That person can be smiling last week and frowning this week, it's not just people suddenly going from perfectly content to outraged all at once. Their patience just ran out.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Yeah I did. I'm tired of Serebii coming in every Pokemon thread trying to defend GameFreak for their shit. Misinformation or not, he's the living embodiment of this gif.

Guess what, people are allowed to be mad. People are allowed to be angry. Your defense isn't gonna make me suddenly go buy the game
People are allowed to be angry.

I'm unsure if you saw but I too am angry about this and I want them to reverse it.

That doesn't mean I'll abide misinformation spreading

Yata

Feb 1, 2019
Spain
The majority of Pokemon youtubers and influencers are barely talking about the issues of the franchise and the whole Pokemon removal fiasco. Let's be honest, their job depends on the games being succesful, they cannot afford for the hype to go down. Can you blame them? I certainly can't.

Just as you are allowed to be angry, people are allowed to defend the game and GF; no matter how inexcusable you think these issues are.

Atheerios

Oct 27, 2017
I'm intrigued by it. I think there's more to meet the eye with it down to this

vGxNOq8.png

There's a "Dynamax Level", with 10 options to it.

Makes me wonder what there is to it. There's definitely more to it than the "look big Pokémon" that people are treating it as. The competitive player side of me is really intrigued by it and the potential of it
Probably the gigantamax thing from the leak.

Oct 25, 2017
Squabbling aside... Man how hot would it be though if The Pokemon Company & Nintendo formed a new pokemon dev team within Nintendo EPD to partner with Creatures (& possibly Monolithsoft or BandaiNamco for support), convinced Morimoto to move over as game director, got the existing assets from Gamefreak and let them focus on other new projects like Town.

It would be a dream to have a new mainline pokemon from the director of HeartGold but with the resources and experience of larger studios behind recent games like Breath of the Wild/Link's Awakening & Xenoblade. And they could hire Shota Kageyama for the music, who quit gamefreak to work as an independent contractor and most recently did the music for LGPE.

I'm not saying this to mean we need to go straight to open world Pokemon of the Wild but just imagine the kind of Pokemon game that team could make with a couple years time. Nobody would skip that game.

Atheerios

Oct 27, 2017
Then why's it on Sobble?
Maybe every Pokémon has those levels and makes Dynamax stronger or have access to more powerful moves but some Pokémon also have an additional, sort of "ultimate" level that allows them to change form while Dynamaxing. I also think that Megas could have been repurposed to this.

Jun 2, 2019

Yeah, people has the right to be angry, what people has no right to do is to freely attack such a member of the pokémon community accusing him of being under paycheck just because he's fighting against all the misinformation and, if you excuse me (and I don't fucking care if you don't) all the stupid piggybacking outrage coming from people who feel entitled to get EXACTLY THE GAME. THEY WANT fucks knows why just because they never even bothered to take a look at how Game Freak has been working from the very start of the franchise.

So yeah, get angry, kick, scream, but don't get surprised when people has an opposite opinion to yours because as you have the right to be angry, other have the right to not be and even (GASP) like what they see without being paid by Game Freak or having an excessive brand loyalty.

rustyphish

May 13, 2019
Yeah, people has the right to be angry, what people has no right to do is to freely attack such a member of the pokémon community accusing him of being under paycheck just because he's fighting against all the misinformation and, if you excuse me (and I don't fucking care if you don't) all the stupid piggybacking outrage coming from people who feel entitled to get EXACTLY THE GAME. THEY WANT fucks knows why just because they never even bothered to take a look at how Game Freak has been working from the very start of the franchise.

So yeah, get angry, kick, scream, but don't get surprised when people has an opposite opinion to yours because as you have the right to be angry, other have the right to not be and even (GASP) like what they see without being paid by Game Freak or having an excessive brand loyalty.

I feel like this is a straw man. I've seen plenty of discussion about the graphics, the choice to not include pokemon, but hardly anything "IT HAS TO BE EXACTLY HOW I WANT IT"

All Criticism isn't entitlement.

MillionIII

Banned
Sep 11, 2018
It's kinda funny in retrospect when people criticized the let's go games for looking like mobile apps pokemon fans quickly went to defend them and tell people that they are "haters", well congrats they sold 10 million copies so the only message that they got is that people don't care as long as it says pokemon on the box.

Deleted member 9714

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
User Banned (5 Days): Personal Attack and Hostility; Off-Site Drama; Previous Ban for the Same Behavior

If people being angry at GameFreak's boneheaded decisions causes Joe to have breakdown on Twitter and go into overdrive GameFreak Defense Force mode, he probably needs to take a break from running his website. But who knows, maybe they will have him come into play Sword and Shield like they had him come in to play Let's Go so he can "quash any misinformation."

If people want to be happy about the privilege of paying for Pokemon Home while they wait years to be able to use a Pokemon in an actual game, good for them.

rustyphish

May 13, 2019
It's kinda funny in retrospect when people criticized the let's go games for looking like mobile apps pokemon fans quickly went to defend them and tell people that they are "haters", well congrats they sold 10 million copies so the only message that they got is that people don't care as long as it says pokemon on the box.

I think generalizations like this are dangerous. "Pokemon Fans" is a diverse group of people with different feelings and thoughts on things. Lots of people liked let's go, lot's of people criticized it. I just wish we could discuss things without a "everyone did this" narrative.

This thread should be a perfect example of that. I have no doubt someone who I tend to disagree with a bit here like Serebii is a giant pokemon fan like me even if we have different beliefs occasionally. "Pokemon Fans" don't have some meeting where they get together and decide to all spin one message.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
What do the graphics of a game have to do with how much they're allowed to sell? If 10 million people liked it enough to buy it that's none of your business.

rustyphish

May 13, 2019
If people being angry at GameFreak's boneheaded decisions causes Joe to have breakdown on Twitter and go into overdrive GameFreak Defense Force mode, he probably needs to take a break from running his website. But who knows, maybe they will have him come into play Sword and Shield like they had him come in to play Let's Go so he can "quash any misinformation."

If people want to be happy about the privilege of paying for Pokemon Home while they wait years to be able to use a Pokemon in an actual game, good for them.

Come on man, Joe has just a right as anyone else to be here. Just because there's disagreement let's not make it personal about how anyone should/shouldn't run their business.

I've been super critical of some stuff, but I feel like this is too far.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
Come on man, Joe has just a right as anyone else to be here. Just because there's disagreement let's not make it personal about how anyone should/shouldn't run their business.

I've been super critical of some stuff, but I feel like this is too far.
On a related note, I appreciate how you're one of the few people that remains respectful while voicing your criticisms towards the game and keeping the discussion meaningful.

Jun 2, 2019
I feel like this is a straw man. I've seen plenty of discussion about the graphics, the choice to not include pokemon, but hardly anything "IT HAS TO BE EXACTLY HOW I WANT IT"

All Criticism isn't entitlement.

It isn't. Have you read Twitter, Facebook? Hell, this very thread? There are lots of valid criticisms and also downright insane posts. Don't forget to mention the excessive lazy devs rethoric too. Shit's out of control.

Joe is in his right to correct any misinformation about the game wich, by the way, you can find in spades in this very thread

And people can be happy about whatever they want

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Squabbling aside... Man how hot would it be though if The Pokemon Company & Nintendo formed a new pokemon dev team within Nintendo EPD to partner with Creatures (& possibly Monolithsoft or BandaiNamco for support), convinced Morimoto to move over as game director, got the existing assets from Gamefreak and let them focus on other new projects like Town.

It would be a dream to have a new mainline pokemon from the director of HeartGold but with the resources and experience of larger studios behind recent games like Breath of the Wild/Link's Awakening & Xenoblade. And they could hire Shota Kageyama for the music, who quit gamefreak to work as an independent contractor and most recently did the music for LGPE.

I'm not saying this to mean we need to go straight to open world Pokemon of the Wild but just imagine the kind of Pokemon game that team could make with a couple years time. Nobody would skip that game.
I'm not sure if Game Freak would willingly give up developing the mainline Pokémon games. It's like a license to print money.

rustyphish

May 13, 2019
It isn't. Have you read Twitter, Facebook? Hell, this very thread? There are lots of valid criticisms and also downright insane posts. Don't forget to mention the excessive lazy devs rethoric too. Shit's out of control.

Joe is in his right to correct any misinformation about the game wich, by the way, you can find in spades in this very thread

And people can be happy about whatever they want

Personally, I'm not going to get into things like Twitter and Facebook on a place like here unless we're talking about on official developer posts.

What you see there can be vastly different than others since you make your own circle by you you befriend/follow. All I can really do is comment on this thread which has been mostly focused on discussion outside of the occasional oddball that usually gets called out quickly.

JayC3

bork bork
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Despite several reminders to keep things civil, the thread continues to devolve into hostility and is going in circles, so we are closing it to further replies.

Status
Not open for further replies.