• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Horohorohoro

Jan 28, 2019
So it's not that there isn't leap in graphics & quality, just not the one some people envisioned in their minds. Nintendo admitted to have struggled with HD development, I don't see why it's difficult to believe so would Game Freak. I just think it's interesting to call it an excuse because you don't like the way a game looks when it could be a valid reason in their case.
They're asking us to spend money on a place to store Pokemon on the off chance they'll be transferrable to a game in the future. (Which isn't even guaranteed. Pokemon like Glameow, the Shinx line, and Cherubi haven't been in a regional dex since Gen 4.) The fact that they're using graphics as an excuse for not allowing us to do so in THIS game invites scrutiny.

Oct 25, 2017
Talking about new generations here. Remakes and third versions tend to review worse because they're more critical of them for some reason, Emerald is like one of the lowest for example.

I mean, do you feel that Let's Go reviewed poorly mainly because it's a remake? Because HeartGold and SoulSilver reviewed extremely well, and OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire did quite well all things considered.

https://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-3/grand-theft-auto-iv Also this is an even better example I reckon

DevilPuncher

Aggressively Mediocre
Oct 25, 2017
I'd like to see Game Freak partner with Monolith Soft to help make their next game in a similar vein to how they helped with BotW. Game Freak's always been behind in terms of fidelity so it doesn't surprise me that the games look the way they do.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, do you feel that Let's Go reviewed poorly mainly because it's a remake? Because HeartGold and SoulSilver reviewed extremely well, and OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire did quite well all things considered.

https://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-3/grand-theft-auto-iv Also this is an even better example I reckon
Let's Go reviewed poorly because it's a shit game (to me, not gonna say people are wrong if they like it). And yes some of them still review well but not as well as new generations, but I don't see how that disproves my point that Pokémon games aren't subpar/mediocre like people keep trying to push as a fact :p

Oct 25, 2017
Let's Go reviewed poorly because it's a shit game (to me, not gonna say people are wrong if they like it). And yes some of them still review well but not as well as new generations, but I don't see how that disproves my point that Pokémon games aren't subpar/mediocre like people keep trying to push as a fact :p

I feel that Pokémon can be subpar. There are elements of how Game Freak designs their games that lends to that, such as leaving valuable features behind, such as even having auto-run.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
I feel that Pokémon can be subpar. There are elements of how Game Freak designs their games that lends to that, such as leaving valuable features behind, such as even having auto-run.
Some of them, sure. I thought XY and Let's Go were subpar. But some people act like every single game is objectively trash or mediocre and it doesn't add anything to the discussion as evidently the world at large doesn't feel that way.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
It's the truth, I'm sorry.

People also seem to defend a company even when they deliver subpar products. I'd rather be on the side that demands more.

It really isn't.

Keep feeling like you're somewhat better than people who buy and enjoy these games though.

Can't imagine how wonderful your lives must be living it excuse free and only spending money and time on only the best of experiences.

Maybe someday the mindless Pokeplebs will realize that Pokemon games aren't a unique experience and that any dev or person can get out of bed and do a better job even though we're here almost 30yrs later and they are still the only ones in this arena selling they sell and achieving the acclaim that they achieve...

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018

I wish that were a feature every game in the series had standard because, like, how rarely does any game come out that doesn't have a piss-poor walking speed (semirelatedly ask me how many Sonic games I've 100%ed!) but at the same time going back to HeartGold after playing any other generations' Pokemon game and the running speed there is on the level of the walking speed in most other games.

Resiverence

Jan 30, 2019
Gamefreak is just a small indie studio, what can they do about it honestly. It's not like they sell millions of copies of pokemon within just the first week, you should expect a small studio of their size on a small budget to only be able to do so much.

RocknRola

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
So it's not that there isn't leap in graphics & quality, just not the one some people envisioned in their minds. Nintendo admitted to have struggled with HD development, I don't see why it's difficult to believe so would Game Freak. I just think it's interesting to call it an excuse because you don't like the way a game looks when it could be a valid reason in their case.
I didn't call it an excuse. However the reasons presented so far come off as somewhat dubious, in particular the reasons for cutting Pokemon which apparently are to due with the "better" animations which we've yet to see. I fear that the future of the franchise will revolve around not only paying 60$/€ for a game with a limited selection but also paying whatever for Pokemon Home in order to maybe, maybe, have some of your old favourites be in it.

As for the game itself, it looks competent like I said. Not great (far from it even), not awful (besides needing some better texture work and LoD, the artsyle helps a bunch), but I (and many others I assume) still expected a bit more on the visual department. Nintendo's own output has been far more solid so far on that front.

Though honestly if they could just fix the pop-in, I'd be fine with it. It's kinda pointless to have open areas with roaming Pokemon if they spawn at relatively close range only.

Last edited:

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd honestly rather Gamefreak be lazy than the actual truth of them being too stubborn to grow their team or allocate more resources. Even ignoring everything but game sales, they make more than most of the industry every release, selling at MINIMUM 5 million nearly every year. That's more than enough income to expand, outsource, anything. Being lazy is less shitty than being stubborn and stingy.

At this point, I'm ready to believe most of their game money is just siphoned into opening another Pokemon center 20 feet away from the last one.

Mass_Pincup

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Gamefreak is just a small indie studio, what can they do about it honestly. It's not like they sell millions of copies of pokemon within just the first week, you should expect a small studio of their size on a small budget to only be able to do so much.

People should be more grateful that they allow us to even play Pokemon in HD with such a tight, self imposed, development schedule and team size.

BrandoBoySP

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, saying that is nintendo's fault is being super unfair. If GF would want more employees and budged, they would get in a heart beat because of how much money they make
I think if nintendo could, they would take the lead of the series by themselves. Just look at how their FP games performs and looks at the switch, and go look at this pokemon

I don't think we can actually say that with any confidence, lol. We don't know the discussions the investors have; it's not as simple as "if they want this, they'd totally get it", especially in big-name development. Investors and higher-ups are almost always trying to set budgets and cut costs, y'know?

It's not the Dev's that are lazy, it's the management and leads. If Masuda and Ohmori wanted a bigger budget, they would get it no questions asked. They don't care. They'll make millions no matter what they do and will get patted on the back for it. Why give yourself more work and set the bar higher when you have no competition?

Would they, though? People up at the top of things almost always cut costs. For all we know, at this point, they did get more budget, and can't get any more (or any more time). That isn't to say that they definitely won't get more money or time, but investors and executives can and do place restrictions on development cycles and costs. Considering OP specifically said there are no excuses here, and there are definitely people around that are insisting devs are lazy, I don't buy "it's not the devs that are lazy". Game dev is a complex thing, and Pokemon as a franchise isn't solely run by Game Freak considering The Pokemon Company has multiple owners.

No one is saying the devs are lazy, they're saying that the way they're presenting it - that it's just too much work - doesn't seem to pan out. Further, being a corporation that had artificially made many players buy three other games to "catch 'em all" in gen 3, I don't trust that this isn't a scheme to add value to later releases.

idk man, there are posts even in this thread insisting that the devs can do better and simply aren't. even if you don't literally say the words "the devs are lazy", that's still the sentiment in "Game Freak has no excuses" and such. Like, I'm not saying that they're above criticism or anything, but this zero-sum approach to something we've only seen limited footage of really rubs me weird.

Oct 27, 2017
How would you have evolved the gameplay without changing the genre?
That's for the developer to figure out. Not me.

Also, why is it a bad thing if the genre of a franchise changes? The same decades old formula doesn't have to be rinsed and repeated over and over. Breath of the Wild turned the traditional 3D zelda model on its head and was succesful because of it. Pokemon doesn't have to be confined to a stale formula that limits the franchise's ability to be innovative.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
That's for the developer to figure out. Not me.

Also, why is it a bad thing if the genre of a franchise changes? The same decades old formula doesn't have to be rinsed and repeated over and over. Breath of the Wild turned the traditional 3D zelda model on its head and was succesful because of it. Pokemon doesn't have to be confined to a stale formula that limits the franchise's ability to be innovative.
BOTW didn't change Zelda's genre. If BOTW went for turn based battles you'd have a point.

Oct 25, 2017
Some of them, sure. I thought XY and Let's Go were subpar. But some people act like every single game is objectively trash or mediocre and it doesn't add anything to the discussion as evidently the world at large doesn't feel that way.

Sure, but I don't know that the user is necessarily making that argument for every game in the series, even if others might be.

MetalBoi

Banned
Dec 21, 2017
I've tried, but I just don't get people who are obsessed with graphics. Is that what you really play games for? I get it, people play games for different reasons: some for a challenge, some for escapism, some for immersion or something else entirely. What I don't get is the focus on power.

The game looks fine to me, and playing games on weaker systems have never hampered my immersion.

Oct 25, 2017
idk man, there are posts even in this thread insisting that the devs can do better and simply aren't. even if you don't literally say the words "the devs are lazy", that's still the sentiment in "Game Freak has no excuses" and such. Like, I'm not saying that they're above criticism or anything, but this zero-sum approach to something we've only seen limited footage of really rubs me weird.

Not a man but anyway, that doesn't inherently mean that the OP was calling them lazy. They could also be accusing GF of acting in bad faith.

I've tried, but I just don't get people who are obsessed with graphics. Is that what you really play games for? I get it, people play games for different reasons: some for a challenge, some for escapism, some for immersion or something else entirely. What I don't get is the focus on power.

The game looks fine to me, and playing games on weaker systems have never hampered my immersion.

The point being made is that it's not apparent what about the game makes it so hard for Game Freak to add all of the Pokémon.

Hydrus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Would they, though? People up at the top of things almost always cut costs. For all we know, at this point, they did get more budget, and can't get any more (or any more time). That isn't to say that they definitely won't get more money or time, but investors and executives can and do place restrictions on development cycles and costs. Considering OP specifically said there are no excuses here, and there are definitely people around that are insisting devs are lazy, I don't buy "it's not the devs that are lazy". Game dev is a complex thing, and Pokemon as a franchise isn't solely run by Game Freak considering The Pokemon Company has multiple owners.
Masuda is on the board of directors for GF. It's literally up to him to determine the budget for the games. Considering how much profit they make, budgets should be of no concern to them.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
Sure, but I don't know that the user is necessarily making that argument for every game in the series, even if others might be.
Even if it's only referring to XY and Sun and Moon, it'd be wrong to push it as a fact. I don't like XY very much but I love Sun and Moon, while for others it's the opposite, we even had a thread about this exact thing. I won't go around telling people who like XY that they're promoting mediocrity, or stuff like that... it's childish. It also derails the discussion from the real problems, which doesn't help.

Hate

Oct 26, 2017

If this was only about graphics, the thread wouldn't be this big.

Oct 25, 2017
Even if it's only referring to XY and Sun and Moon, it'd be wrong to push it as a fact. I don't like XY very much but I love Sun and Moon, while for others it's the opposite, we even had a thread about this exact thing. I won't go around telling people who like XY that they're promoting mediocrity, or stuff like that... it's childish. It also derails the discussion from the real problems, which doesn't help.

But I would argue that, literally, Sword and Shield is "below par," especially in the discussion as to whether the game is too graphical to permit all Pokémon be included. It calls into question, to me, either that cost-cutting measures are occurring, that Game Freak is trying to use this to sell later versions, that they wanted to release it this year and not when it's done, or that Game Freak has serious issues handling HD development.

Doesn't read that way. A joke that is indistinguishable from the comment you're making fun of isn't much of a joke :v

WRC

Oct 28, 2017
User warned: lazy devs rhetoric
I'm on the side of GF being lazy , i mean, if we do compare GF against other companies in terms of content/cut well , I think its laughable at best . Accounting that they're one of the studios that are getting super revenue, so imho they should take care of expectations and trace a plan for outsorcing/hiring whatever they need to accomplish that 'standarts' in term of quality/content. If they're not being in the mood/cirumstances for doing that ,well... prepare for our comlpains I guess.

If we do compare GF against themselves then maybe they're on line with the latest entries...

Oct 27, 2017
BOTW didn't change Zelda's genre. If BOTW went for turn based battles you'd have a point.

Did you read the second portion of my post?

Why in the ever living fuck are people opposed to a genre change for Pokemon and are adamant about a stale old turn-based system??!? Should Metroid Prime have never happened because it's a genre change?

MetalBoi

Banned
Dec 21, 2017
If this was only about graphics, the thread wouldn't be this big.
Well I read the op and that seems to be talking about to me, and maybe complaints about budgeting? I mean the thread is 30+ pages so I don't have time to deep read the entire thing right now. If I've missed something you could give me a tl;dr.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
But I would argue that, literally, Sword and Shield is "below par," especially in the discussion as to whether the game is too graphical to permit all Pokémon be included. It calls into question, to me, either that cost-cutting measures are occurring, that Game Freak is trying to use this to sell later versions, that they wanted to release it this year and not when it's done, or that Game Freak has serious issues handling HD development.
They might have made the decision after seeing that SWSH wasn't shaping up to look how they wanted it to, in which case it makes sense to draw the line as soon as possible instead of providing yet another game with all the Pokémon only to have to cut them for the next one in order to make it look better. It's only speculation, and it's totally their fault for not having explained the situation properly, but it's not impossible to understand game development isn't a zero sum deal. I will keep being disappointed that they're cutting Pokémon until they reverse the decision, but I don't think the games are sub par only because of issues like this. The main experience is gonna be the same after all.

Oct 25, 2017
They might have made the decision after seeing that SWSH wasn't shaping up to look how they wanted it to, in which case it makes sense to draw the line as soon as possible instead of providing yet another game with all the Pokémon only to have to cut them for the next one in order to make it look better. It's only speculation, and it's totally their fault for not having explained the situation properly, but it's not impossible to understand game development isn't a zero sum deal. I will keep being disappointed that they're cutting Pokémon until they reverse the decision, but I don't think the games are sub par only because of issues like this. The main experience is gonna be the same after all.
In that case, I think that the game should be delayed. I'd rather get Pokémon Sword and Shield in 2020 but with more and better content than 2019 and less/worse.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Why in the ever living fuck are people opposed to a genre change for Pokemon and are adamant about a stale old turn-based system??!? Should Metroid Prime have never happened because it's a genre change?

Because a lot of people play it for the competitive portion of the games and don't want the strategic aspect diluted due to a genre change?

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017

Turn based games are few and far between, and people consistently push for the remaining ones to change genre on the basis that it's an archaic system, which is bullshit. There are plenty of spin-offs if you want to enjoy another genre with Pokémon.

Hate

Oct 26, 2017
Well I read the op and that seems to be talking about to me, and maybe complaints about budgeting? I mean the thread is 30+ pages so I don't have time to deep read the entire thing right now. If I've missed something you could give me a tl;dr.
Monsters available in the game are cut by more than half (tentative could be more or less) from previous standards. Reason stated being improved quality and graphics. Graphics are now being held on a higher standard and people aren't seeing the massive increase in quality to warrant cutting down the number of pokemon.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
In that case, I think that the game should be delayed. I'd rather get Pokémon Sword and Shield in 2020 but with more and better content than 2019 and less/worse.
That's not even necessary (and Nintendo would never let them) as they could patch the game after release. If they refuse to do that, then yeah it's a bad decision and you won't see me defend it.

MetalBoi

Banned
Dec 21, 2017
Monsters available in the game are cut by more than half (tentative could be more or less) from previous standards. Reason stated being improved quality and graphics. Graphics are now being held on a higher standard and people aren't seeing the massive increase in quality to warrant cutting down the number of pokemon.
Thanks. There was a thread here a week or so ago asking if we preferred quality or quantity-I chose quality. Has anyone who actually worked on these games been in this thread to give a statement about the development? If not, it's just conjecture and blind assumptions, and we don't know what went on about the development and creation of this game.

Oct 25, 2017
That's not even necessary (and Nintendo would never let them) as they could patch the game after release. If they refuse to do that, then yeah it's a bad decision and you won't see me defend it.

I'm really not a fan of post-release patching, especially when the patching is for the sake of releasing an incomplete game early.

lovecatt

Nov 12, 2017
They're asking us to spend money on a place to store Pokemon on the off chance they'll be transferrable to a game in the future. (Which isn't even guaranteed. Pokemon like Glameow, the Shinx line, and Cherubi haven't been in a regional dex since Gen 4.) The fact that they're using graphics as an excuse for not allowing us to do so in THIS game invites scrutiny.

They're not though? You could just keep your pokemon in whatever game they're already in & move them when you know if they're compatable or not

I didn't call it an excuse. However the reasons presented so far come off as somewhat dubious, in particular the reasons for cutting Pokemon which apparently are to due with the "better" animations which we've yet to see. I fear that the future of the franchise will revolve around not only paying 60$/€ for a game with a limited selection but also paying whatever for Pokemon Home in order to maybe, maybe, have some of your old favourites be in it.

Even if the national Dex was a thing in SwSh, you were going to have to pay for home to bring them over (& then again for the games after that). I don't really buy that these is some sort of dubious scheme to keep people to continue paying for Home especially when that wasn't really the case for Bank

Just to be clear I'm not really defending their decision regarding the National Dex (I personally never cared to complete it). I just think it's a little disingenuous for some to call it an excuse just because they don't like the way it looks, when it actually very well could have been the reason during the development period & comparing it to other Nintendo games is pointless cause they're mostly completely separate entities.

Why game freak remains a tiny studio despite being the developers of a major multi million selling franchise, on a constant development cycle & making other smaller games on the side, is the real mystery to me personally.

Status
Not open for further replies.