• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
How is this game looking like anything other than your average Pokemon fare just with overworld encounters and a bigger area? The series still looks to be the same as it's been, just with a couple things added. That doesn't make it not "stale."
What would make it not stale? You're dismissing legitimate changes for no reason and you're not providing any examples of what they should be doing.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
What do you think I'm doing? I haven't bought a mainline Pokémon game since Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon specifically because of the shit I've complained about.

Ok so your next move here is to come at people who can find things they may enjoy about the game regardless and not hyperfocus on negative aspects of it? If I find things I'm liking about it then I'm going to buy it. I skipped out on both Ultra's myself. This is day one.

You can demand whatever you want out the game and not buy it and we will leave you be. Idk what else to tell you besides that.

Deleted member 40604

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 3, 2018
Except compared to these franchises Pokemon games make billions. There is absolutely no reason for them to make mid tier games. None. Except being cheap because it sells anyway. A lot of people are tired by that now that the game is hitting a home console and gives it's (nonexistent) fidelity as a reason why they can't bring all POkemon over.

I don't disagree. But again, are Pokémon fans willing to potentially wait 3-4 years between every release. Are Nintendo, TPC, and Creatures Inc willing to forego yearly profit in order to truly give Pokémon the time and budget it deserves? There's a lot of factors at play here. If it were up to me I'd turn Gamefreak into a 300 person studio at he very least, which is about double their current staff.

Hydrus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
These threads should be used in a psychological study to show the lengths some people will go to in order to defend a corporation they like.

Some of these excuses are ridiculous.
I still think the best one was before the Lets Go reveal, when someone said GF couldn't do good graphics because it would drain the Switches battery. Lmao! People are nuts.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
How is this game looking like anything other than your average Pokemon fare just with overworld encounters and a bigger area? The series still looks to be the same as it's been, just with a couple things added. That doesn't make it not "stale."
My point is pokemon always looked like pokemon and people always complained that it didn't look like Zelda or whatever.
There's more than 1000 different models and somehow GF has realized that it may not be possible to add them all back and people are having a fit over this.

Sparks

Senior Games Artist
Verified
Dec 10, 2018
Los Angeles
Thanks OP, 100% agree, but it's always difficult saying this because people are pretty adment that they are fine or "what do you expect".

At the very very least, provide proper dialogue instead of this old 8bit sound effects. There is really no excuse for those... They even still reuse the old sprites in their games, a lot of people use the excuse "its because of nostalgia reasons" but really its because they don't want to make new icons for the Pokemon.

This is their first big HD game and they still have a small staff. You can't expect them to make a Xenoblade with their first HD game.

Just like many Japanese developers last Gen, they struggle with the transition.

But why can't that be expected? They don't really have an excuse for not staffing up and having a Triple A caliber team at this point.

HyMxrxH.png

That's not, "We tried but cant" money.

Neo0mj

Oct 26, 2017
With these games Game Freak have proven themselves to be the most incompetent dev ever. No matter what excuse one makes for them it just doesn't fly anymore.

Horohorohoro

Jan 28, 2019
My point is pokemon always looked like pokemon and people always complained that it didn't look like Zelda or whatever.
There's more than 1000 different models and somehow GF has realized that it may not be possible to add them all back and people are having a fit over this.
The reason people are criticizing it now is because people were willing to look past graphics because of the vast amount of Pokemon available. They took a bunch of them away while saying they were doing so to "balance the game" and increase "quality." People are looking for the quality now, considering that's the excuse they gave.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
The models are literally being updated and reused with minimal changes to actual animations. They CAN have every Pokemon in these games. Not sure how drawing the line at 800 is really any different than what? 900 and change by the time Gen 8 is done?
Do you think it's done by the ether or something?
Every new feature they add means adding that feature for >1000 models.
And they have to be checked eventually as well.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I don't disagree. But again, are Pokémon fans willing to potentially wait 3-4 years between every release. Are Nintendo, TPC, and Creatures Inc willing to forego yearly profit in order to truly give Pokémon the time and budget it deserves? There's a lot of factors at play here. If it were up to me I'd turn Gamefreak into a 300 person studio at he very least, which is about double their current staff.
THey could also just add one year instead of 4 but hire more people. Obviously they are tied to all the outside factors of stuff like the anime, merch and whatnot. But it's one company. TPC just needs to gove them a bit more time and way more staff.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks OP, 100% agree, but it's always difficult saying this because people are pretty adment that they are fine or "what do you expect".

At the very very least, provide proper dialogue instead of this old 8bit sound effects. There is really no excuse for those... They even still reuse the old sprites in their games, a lot of people use the excuse "its because of nostalgia reasons" but really its because they don't want to make new icons for the Pokemon.

But why can't that be expected? They don't really have an excuse for not staffing up and having a Triple A caliber team at this point.

HyMxrxH.png

They remade the Pokémon sprites in SWSH. The sounds aren't 8-bit. We don't know if the games have voice acting. You're misinformed and spreading your ignorance.

Deleted member 48897

Banned
Oct 22, 2018
Pokemon hasn't innovated in the gameplay environment for a long time either.

I dunno, I feel like the move away from the traditional gym badge system in the last round of games was a significantly positive one for the story mode for a lot of reasons (not least of which is the use of a lot more of the various Pokemon types before reaching the whole E4/Champion stuff).

I mean I don't think any sort of mechanical change is going to be as hugely substantial as the decoupling of elemental typing from attack stats, and I suspect that nobody involved in the decision was upset that the change to thunder, ice, and fire punch made Alakazam, and almost exclusively Alakazam, competitively non-viable given that specific Pokemon line's history

Horohorohoro

Jan 28, 2019
Then don't add new features that nobody asked for like Dynamaxing. Nobody is asking for that over having access to every Pokemon, even the people who really liked Dynamaxing as a concept.

Oct 25, 2017
I mean if they wanted to GF could get Nintendo to outsource MonolithSoft to help in the open world. But then that would take more than the bare minimum to do.

Zhao_Yun

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
ITT people who want Pokémon to be AAA Final Fantasy huge when they don't realize that the the Pokémon series is more on par with a series like YS, Tales, or Trials of Cold Steel. Tales is finally getting a huge budget game after what? Three decades?

Pokemon Sun and Moon sold 10 million copies in the first week. The whole Ys series is hovering around 5 million sold copies in 30 years (!).
But of course we cannot expect Pokemon Sw/Sh to get a bigger budget than Ys IX.

Sparks

Senior Games Artist
Verified
Dec 10, 2018
Los Angeles
They remade the Pokémon sprites in SWSH. The sounds aren't 8-bit. We don't know if the games have voice acting. You're misinformed and spreading your ignorance.
My apologies, I just watched gameplay of the game and noticed how all the pokemon sounds and a lot of the sound effects are still using the Old DS style crunchy sounds. I didn't know they had plans to rerecord all of these sounds by launch.

Deleted member 2809

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

HyMxrxH.png

Higher effort, lower ROI.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
The reason people are criticizing it now is because people were willing to look past graphics because of the vast amount of Pokemon available. They took a bunch of them away while saying they were doing so to "balance the game" and increase "quality." People are looking for the quality now, considering that's the excuse they gave.
People really couldn't count their blessings.
It's a downright miracle we got something like Pokeami when you realize the kind of work it requires and people still bitched that the game couldn't handle 3D in double battles.
Then don't add new features that nobody asked for like Dynamaxing. Nobody is asking for that over having access to every Pokemon, even the people who really liked Dynamaxing as a concept.
Don't ever complain about developer vision if you're complaining about devs adding feature you don't like.
And let's be fair, they were always going to cut things going forward (and I mean zmoves and the likes).

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
And weren't people complaining about the games being stale still?
Also you'll notice that they didn't have to redo everything for >900 base models as well.
...They has to make around 800 brand new Pokémon models for X and Y. Along with unique animations for each model.

All of the returning Pokémon we've seen in are using their 3DS models. All the unique animations we've seen for them were created for the 3DS games.

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
They have no reason to change if the minimal effort/resources expected of them prints even more money than if they put more effort/resources.

That's not to call them lazy. I call it smart.

Last edited:

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
My apologies, I just watched gameplay of the game and noticed how all the pokemon sounds and a lot of the sound effects are still using the Old DS style crunchy sounds. I didn't know they had plans to rerecord all of these sounds by launch.
Each game has different sounds even between games of the same generation, they're not using any DS sound and they're not 8-bit. Just admit you're wrong and move on.

Feb 5, 2018

What new feature? Nothing actually changes to pokemon models when they add new features lol. There are ~40 or so mega evolutions, they stay with those 40 or so pokemon. There were Z moves, and all of them shared the same animations regardless of what Pokemon could use it, unless it was exclusive.

Dynamaxing, at the moment, does not change a pokemons appearance. And if that is their excuse for removing half the roster, then its a piss poor excuse.

They have barely added new animations to pokemon since X and Y, and its clear it hasnt changed in SW+SH much

Hate

Oct 26, 2017
The day I start judging games solely by graphics is the day i give up gaming. I've always 100% been against the entirety that games should "look" a certain way to be "worth" a certain value, especially if not pitched as such.

Again if it was a AAA Sony game trying to talk about how great the graphics are and stuff I'd understand, but the graphics are just "there."

If the gameplay sucks sure you'll hear me complain, or if it's supposed to look "realistic" and looks uncanny as hell I'll laugh at it (Andromeda for example). But I will never agree to the graphics race. I'll always appreciate good graphics, but never push for them to be the sole selling point of anything.

I think the emphasis on graphics/polycount/etc has helped screw over a lot of good games, and I think that it was only recently and with indies that people are even allowing "Stylized" graphics to come back in a big way. I'll take a thousand Pokemon Sword and Shields over the next realistic/body scanned/Celeb stand in/dirt filter aesthetic.

Graphics will never sell me on a game. Because I go to games for gameplay. I don't need "something impressive" by someone else's arbitrary and typically over exaggerated needs. I'm fine with "okay graphics." The idea that everything has to CONSTANTLY go big or go home is, in my opinion, a farce. But I'm glad that the forum exists so that people can voice their concerns, despite my not sharing them.

I will judge on mechanics and gameplay though for sure, like this post. If they continue to roll back features or have terrible co op like I got tricked into trying in Lets Go I'll be mad. Gameplay failures are far more egregious in a medium about gameplay for me.
Gaming is a visual medium. If everything solely matters on gameplay then the medium won't progress. There are numerous ways to improve such as writing, soundtrack, content, gameplay and graphics. Pokemon isn't absolved from being criticized when it's not even the paragon of gameplay not to mention the other aspects.

Matter of fact is a lot of it's criticism is hand waived in the past but it fulfilled in what it was trying to do. Although it improved a lot slower than it's contemporaries, it still retained it's core aspects but with them removing the very core of their game content which are Pokemons and having the guts to say that it's because they improved the graphics and animation then of course we're gonna scrutinize those which replaced what made it good in the first place.

Personally, I won't be mad about it if they did the same as B&W which didn't feature all the monsters but did give a completely new set of monsters but they didn't so I'm here right now.

Deleted member 40604

Banned
Mar 3, 2018
Pokemon Sun and Moon sold 10 million copies in the first week. The whole Ys series is hovering around 5 million sold copies in 30 years (!).
But of course we cannot expect Pokemon Sw/Sh to get a bigger budget than Ys IX.

Again, I'm talking about the scope of the games, development time and their budget. Not sales.

And again I will say that the Pokémon games deserve to be treated better in large part because of how much they do sell. It's not a franchise that needs to be low budget because it's barely profitable.

And like I said in my post, the question moving forward will be whether or not that actually happens or if all parties involved remain content with massive profit with relatively low investment.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I'm still shocked at how many people are parroting the "they have to make 1000 new models and countless new animations for each of them" nonsense when all the models and animations for returning Pokémon we've seen have been their 3DS versions.

I mean, the entire point of having absurdly high poly models the 3DS couldn't actually handle with a decent performance was so they could reuse those models for future generations.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
...They has to make around 800 brand new models for X and Y.

All of the returning Pokémon we've seen in are using their 3DS models.
To begin with they're not the exact models used on 3DS.
Rigging and animation has to be ported and to quote NewFramePlus, it's very doubtful that doesn't mean redoing them considering porting animation is not going to fly between engines.
There were also around 800 forms for X/Y.
Also you may not remember this but they actually released an app on 3DS to view GenV mons in 3D.
So logic would dictate that most of the work for the 800 forms was done then as a test run for the feature.
What new feature? Nothing actually changes to pokemon models when they add new features lol. There are ~40 or so mega evolutions, they stay with those 40 or so pokemon. There were Z moves, and all of them shared the same animations regardless of what Pokemon could use it, unless it was exclusive.

Dynamaxing, at the moment, does not change a pokemons appearance. And if that is their excuse for removing half the roster, then its a piss poor excuse.

They have barely added new animations to pokemon since X and Y, and its clear it hasnt changed in SW+SH much
Dynamaxing changes moveset, that alone would prove to be rather more time consuming than megaforms.
But hey it doesn't look exciting so it's clearly a lazy addition.

Cromat

Mar 17, 2019

How is this any different from literally any other game series? The complexity of each installment always increases. Are we saying that including all pokemon is tougher than creating a world like The Witcher 3, BotW or any other high-profile game? I just can't see that being true.

Even if that's true, at least include a legacy mode where you support them with limited animations. Anything but cutting half the roster for no reason.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
I'm still shocked at how many people are parroting the "they have to make 1000 new models and countless new animations for each of them" nonsense when all the models and animations for returning Pokémon we've seen have been their 3DS versions.
They said they have to make more animations, not that they have to remake the models. They also have to update the textures. Then, there's the plethora of human characters which they DO have to model and animate from scratch.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
How is this any different from literally any other game series? The complexity of each installment always increases. Are we saying that including all pokemon is tougher than creating a world like The Witcher 3, BotW or any other high-profile game? I just can't see that being true.

Even if that's true, at least include a legacy mode where you support them with limited animations. Anything but cutting half the roster for no reason.
For the sequel of BotW are you expecting them to redo the map and add more significant landmass?
And from them on do you expect each sequel to have always bigger maps (always containing the map of the previous episode but tweaked significantly)?

Horohorohoro

Jan 28, 2019
Just like people were pretty sure the game didn't have overworld encounters and gave me shit for even suggesting that might not be the case.
If they spent time in the Direct going over the fact that they had a rotating camera in one location like it was a revolutionary idea, I highly doubt we're getting voice acting if they haven't shown it yet.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Nobody plays Pokemon for jaw dropping graphics, and why would you? The appeal is in collecting and raising the ideal team, not textures and lighting.
Too bad a shitton of Pokemon aren't in the game so a lot of people can't do that. And the joke about this is that the devs used these improvement in graphics as the reason why these Pokemon won't be in the game. It's almost like these issues are connected.

Neo0mj

Oct 26, 2017
Just like people were pretty sure the game didn't have overworld encounters and gave me shit for even suggesting that might not be the case.

Game had two major showing and is not far from release, with plenty of cut-scenes. I think it's pretty safe to assume that GF felt they couldn't spare the money and time for voice acting.

Doctor Avatar

Jan 10, 2019
Nobody plays Pokemon for jaw dropping graphics, and why would you? The appeal is in collecting and raising the ideal team, not textures and lighting.

That isn't the point.

It's that despite being a bigger franchise than flipping star wars they can't be bothered having competent graphics.

They have the money to do basically *anything* and this is what we get.

There is absolutely no reason Pokemon can't be at least competent technically.

This is the highest earning franchise in the *history* of humanity and it's all "hey guys they're a small team they can't be expected to have good graphics". This isn't some indie studio.

Feb 5, 2018
To begin with they're not the exact models used on 3DS.
Rigging and animation has to be ported and to quote NewFramePlus, it's very doubtful that doesn't mean redoing them considering porting animation is not going to fly between engines.
There were also around 800 forms for X/Y.
Also you may not remember this but they actually released an app on 3DS to view GenV mons in 3D.
So logic would dictate that most of the work for the 800 forms was done then as a test run for the feature.

Dynamaxing changes moveset, that alone would prove to be rather more time consuming than megaforms.
But hey it doesn't look exciting so it's clearly a lazy addition.

Yeah? How much have animations honestly changed in Dynamaxed Pokemon? Looks exactly the same to me with "slower" and more "Gigantic" effects. Sorry, but no excuse is gonna cut ruining people's ability to literally catch them all, which was the original precedent the games were built on.

We all THOUGHT that was the case with something like Smash, where cuts seemed necessary for balance and development time, yet Ultimate did the impossible because Sakurai and his team persisted and kept delivering, with characters that have hundreds more animations and effects compared to 1 pokemon. You extend development time and increase the size of your project team to meet consumer expectations. Gamefreak has constantly shortcutted their way through success of their brand. Its finally catching up to them.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
If they spent time in the Direct going over the fact that they had a rotating camera in one location like it was a revolutionary idea, I highly doubt we're getting voice acting if they haven't shown it yet.
Game had two major showing and is not far from release, with plenty of cut-scenes. I think it's pretty safe to assume that GF felt they couldn't spare the money and time for voice acting.
Are you new to how they market the games? They always keep new features hidden to have about one big thing to show each month. We didn't know XY had a new type till E3, and didn't know they had mega Evolutions till August, etc.

That Goldeen sound is newly remade Triple A quality sound design?
What does that even mean? The sound isn't 8-bit and it's perfectly fine, you're just moving the goalpost.

Status
Not open for further replies.