• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Pokémon is a low investment, high return franchise.

The question they would have asked is. Would they sell 10million if it was made like this?

The answer is yes.

So why invest more money for little to no gain.

They are likely investing a significant amount more money developing this compared to handheld still despite all the memes about n64 trees. Might be part of why they were reluctant to work on Switch at first.

The world would be a very, very different place if lucrative products had an equivalent quality increase, and I bet the majority of people would be doing exactly what GF are doing in their shoes.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
Of course my opinion, as yours, is based on what we have seen. I'm not judging the final game, as you, but what has been shown.
They have not shown anything in regards to pacing or features or options. That's a completely arbitrary thing to think and just shows how disingenuous the conversation around these games is.

Jroc

Banned
Jun 9, 2018
If they're going for a low-fidelity look then the games should at least be locked at native res with excellent image quality.

Jonnax

Oct 26, 2017
Low investment? You have no idea what you're talking about. I assure you making this game wasn't cheap.
It's not cheap sure. But it's not Uncharted 4 expensive which is a game that sells a similar amount of units to a Pokémon game.

This an example of what i meant with baseless assumptions

Sun and Moon have sold 16 million units.

www.gamesindustry.biz

Uncharted series sales pass 41 million

Naughty Dog has announced the Uncharted franchise has sold well over 40 million units to date.The milestone was reveale…

This article seems toindicate that Uncharted sold about 13.7 million.

Are you going to tell me that the Pokémon games cost as much to make as Uncharted?

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
They have not shown anything in regards to pacing or features or options. That's a completely arbitrary thing to think and just shows how disingenuous the conversation around these games is.
Pacing? Features? Have you played the entire game?

Pacing = pacing of the battle system.

Featurers = what has been shown and what will not be in the game for sure.

Jeez, everyone is discussing what has been shown, I thought it was implied that my opinion, as yours, is based on trailers and E3 demo.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
Pacing = pacing of the battle system.

Featurers = what has been shown and what will not be in the game for sure.

Jeez, everyone is discussing what has been shown, I thought it was implied that my opinion, as yours, is based on trailers and E3 demo.
Boy, it's one thing to criticize graphics shown in the trailers, it's a whole different thing to say the game has a pacing and feature issue. You're criticizing it for something that is obvious about every game: they're not going to show everything on their first big reveal.

Jonnax

Oct 26, 2017
Not even BOTW is as expensive as Uncharted 4. BOTW needed to sell 2m copies to break even, I guess Nintendo cheapened out to make it huh?
Why are you being disingenuous?
Businesses do projects based on projected return on investment.

The Pokémon games are lower budget than other franchises that sell a similar amount of copies.

So comparatively to the industry it's a lower investment for a high return.

2million copies is a lot.
Assuming that Nintendo gets $40 per copy.
That's $80mil which seems like a similar budget to Uncharted.

Ignis

Oct 27, 2017
It looks like turd and the fanboys in the reveal thread defended this shit when I brought it up.

Save your breath OP, the herd will eat up whatever GameFreak feeds them.

Euler007

Jan 10, 2018
I'm baffled by the apologists. This if like Toyota released a new car that barely made it to 100k miles before the wheels fall off and people would be like "Give them a break, it's a new model". This is the highest grossing gaming franchise of all time, and the newest entry makes Knack look like a tour-de-force (a freaking 2013 low budget launch game).

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
Why are you being disingenuous?
Businesses do projects based on projected return on investment.

The Pokémon games are lower budget than other franchises that sell a similar amount of copies.

So comparatively to the industry it's a lower investment for a high return.

2million copies is a lot.
Assuming that Nintendo gets $40 per copy.
That's $80mil which seems like a similar budget to Uncharted.
You have zero idea about the budget of Pokémon or Uncharted. You're the one being disingenuous.

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
I've never played Pokemon before wilt his be a good starting point?
As a relapsed player I would say wait for the next one after this(possibly only 1 year away) for a better experience. Maybe this won't matter given you won't have preconceptions but I seriously regretted trying to get in with X/Y instead of (Ultra)Sun/(Ultra)Moon. Feel like that would have been a much nicer and refined reentry point.

That is if you plan on playing mostly solo if you have a community behind you to be part of while playing go for it cause in a way all the games are made to be starting points. That's why the franchise has retained strong sales cause new people always start with any new game.

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
This game has been in development for at least 3 years. They could delay it but then you have the anime that's close to wrapping up

This, in my humble opinion, just shows how much GF is lagging behind in terms of development on modern consoles.

Boy, it's one thing to criticize graphics shown in the trailers, it's a whole different thing to say the game has a pacing and feature issue. You're criticizing it for something that is obvious about every game: they're not going to show everything on their first big reveal.

?

Battles were shown in the demo and the pacing, in my humble opinion, was to slow. Pacing was slow in 3DS entries too while DS games were perfect in this. Features... Whathas been shown, TO ME, looks unappealing and uninteresting; other new features that will have small to zero impact on MY enjoyment of the game like Z-moves were in Sun/Moon, Megaevo were in X/Y and so on and so forth.

Chackan

Oct 31, 2017
Honestly, all this thread has done to me is remind me how much I LOVE the design of Xenoblade Chronicles 2 (amazing, amazing game) and how much I am hype for this Pokemon.

Looks great to me.

iamandy

Nov 6, 2017
Brasil
NKH7e9f.jpg

jrDev

Banned
Mar 2, 2018
Wanna bet? Once Pokemon sales fall off a cliff in a few years due to clearly sub par products Nintendo is gonna take drastic measures.
You are betting on Pokémon? Who are you and whatyearisit.gif?
If you change the model you change the rig which means you have to reanimate. Thats the industry standard, no proof required unless they have some dope ass tech that allow them to make new character models for console spec and retain their legacy animations which ... doesnt seem like something youd want anyways since they probably made a bunch of new rigs for their new prod pipeline

I'm disappointed in the cut roster and the archaic setup of battle animations but that's it...Gamefreak is clearly improving the game from Pokemon Go...

Last edited:

Hucast

alt account
Banned
Mar 25, 2019
There was a thread about link's awakenng framerate and that thread died quickly because no one bothered arguing about an unfinished game. The difference in fanbases I guess

Ignis

Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (1 Day): Trolling

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
People hate to read this but GF has been way too complacent for decades and it finally catched up to them.

Pokemon's decline begins now. If it didn't already.

I don't even like / follow Pokémon, but this will not be the decline, haha. Graphics has never been (and never will be) a selling point or point of interest for this franchise.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
The lengthy intros are unfortunate for people like myself who don't like that direction, but that's a deliberate choice and not much to do with quality or HD development.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017

Deleted member 19218

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm so glad there is someone with a vested interest in this brand doing well shilling against every critical post made on the last couple pages. Super cool.

A lot of those posts seem to boil down to complaining about features being removed which is super common for franchises. I'm not hunting for food in MGSV nor am I playing blitzball in Final Fantasy XII. On one hand people criticize Ubisoft games for feeling like bloated collectathons but on the other people complain when Game Freak try to prevent this.

A lot of those complaints also seem to come down to graphics which is a bone people have to pick specifically for this game and not other games which also have simple graphics like Animal Crossing. It seems really unfair this game gets singled out for this.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
I like how Sword and Shield looks.
I also don't need every game to have AAA production values just because of the sales expectations.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
Lol no.

First battle against bunnymon takes 11 seconds to kick off.

Final Fantasy 7, PS1 (1997)? 10 seconds

This is a joke at this point. I shit post because I know me saying anything makes little to no difference to the fanbase.
Pokémon needs to account for the trainer to send out a Pokémon unlike other games, and seriously you're complaining about a 1 second difference?
I don't know why someone with a FF15 avatar is coming into Pokémon threads to complain about quality, now that's irony.

MrBreada

Mar 13, 2018
I'm unsure if I made this point in this thread specifically, and I do confess that I don't know much about game design, but please don't be so hard on Game Freak. I, personally, will not be buying Sword and Shield because I'm fed up with the lack of quality, but I think there's actually a reasonable explanation.

I Googled the amount of staff Game Freak has, and they only have 143 staff members. Furthermore, they've divided themselves up a little. Between Let's Go, Town, and Sword & Shield, I'm pretty sure that a very small amount of those 143 staff members have actually worked on Sword & Shield. What's worse is, despite the fact that the games don't seem to be the most profitable aspect of the Pokemon franchise, they are the centerpoint of the canon. The anime, the TCG, the manga adaptations and what not all rely on the games. Because of this, Game Freak has no choice but to release Sword and Shield at this point in time.

Now, personally, even though I'm not going to get Sword and Shield, I have two personal ideas for what Game Freak should do in order to rectify a controversy like this:

• Enlist the help of Creatures Inc. again - I have checked Google, and I looked up Creatures Inc., who usually co-develops significant entries in the Pokemon series. According to the Wikipedia article, they didn't work on Sword and Shield. However, they did make the models for X and Y. So, assuming that Wikipedia is correct, Creatures Inc. had no part in working on Sword and Shield, leaving Game Freak to have no choice but to redo everything on their own. Creatures Inc. also made the models for Pokemon Go and Pokken Tournament, but not Sun and Moon. Let's hope for the best that they return to work on the next Pokemon game, because Game Freak needs that help.
  • Stop with the annual release cycle - Despite the point I mentioned earlier, with the Pokemon games being the crux of the canon, Game Freak will have breathing room, or at least they SHOULD. They do annual releases, which I don't think is smart at all. Generation 4 had Diamond/Pearl, Platinum, and Heart Gold/Soul Silver released with pretty decent gaps between each other. They could do a repeat of that. 3DS was a bit more rapid fire. It feels like the games came a lot quicker in that era. I'm going to hope for the best and assume that Game Freak will do a wide gap between the remake of Diamond and Pearl, the next Let's Go game, the updated version of Sword/Shield, whatever the next mainline Pokemon is, they should give themselves a lot more time to work on it now.
TL;DR - Game Freak is understaffed big-time, and quite frankly Sword and Shield just wasn't something they'd be able to do considering the circumstances, like the fact that the games are the prime source of the canon that the anime and other adaptations base themselves on. So cut them a bit of slack. Let's cross our fingers that they can get their stuff together for the next entry.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
Battles were shown in the demo and the pacing, in my humble opinion, was to slow. Pacing was slow in 3DS entries too while DS games were perfect in this. Features... Whathas been shown, TO ME, looks unappealing and uninteresting; other new features that will have small to zero impact on MY enjoyment of the game like Z-moves were in Sun/Moon, Megaevo were in X/Y and so on and so forth.
You claimed the game lacked features. It's a statement that does not mean "I don't care for what's being shown", which is what you're saying only now.
Of course people would confront you about that, because it's a statement you can't make yet.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
I still don't understand why the battle can't start in the same place where you encounter the Pokémon and you need to change game screen. It slows down everything.
Because the game has to load the different Pokémon and animations. To do otherwise it'd need to keep all the Pokémon and animations in its buffer at all times

Mr. Virus

Oct 27, 2017
All of these are questions that should have been answered years ago before development started on this game. I'm not saying do it now at the last minute. I'm saying they chose to do things the way they did. As others have pointed out, there is no excuse given that HD games have been a thing for years now, and they knew it was coming for them eventually.

Games have set budgets, yes, but this does not look like the work or budget expected from the developer that is part owner of the highest grossing media franchise of all time. Not even close. To be fair, it never has, but now they're cutting pokemon from the game entirely. They could have planned for and prevented this. (Of course, this assumes that development issues are the actual true reason for cutting the pokemon, and they aren't full of shit).

Things change during the course of development, at any stage of it. Saying that "This should have been dealt with years in advance" when it comes to staffing is incredible hyperbole and almost entirely impossible. With regards to the HD art, yes they probably did know it was coming and started prepping for it. Let's Go looked nice and was clearly laying the ground work for it. Even the best laid plans get changed, and in games the best laid plans will get changed because ~things happen~ both internally and externally.

Without knowing what the actual budget is, nor the actual scope of the game, how are we to judge? Pokemon is more than its mainline games and, critically, people posting on this forum are not the main target for it. Pokemon is a children's media franchise and they're the ones that will be catered to first and foremost. The games look nice, their art direction is great, they'll absolutely make their target demo happy, and anyone who is claiming that they're not a step up form the 3DS games is being untruthful. You might not like what they're doing, but it's not for you.

Does it suck that they're reducing the Pokedex? Yeah, a bit, and their current weird anti-DLC of any kind policies mean that they'll not add on to the game significantly post release to help that. Does it ACTUALLY matter all that much? We don't know. Hopefully it won't lead to some money grabbing bullshit
But ya know, there will no doubt be something
but I'm kinda alright with not having to run into the Gen 1 crew/their duplicates if it gives some of the newer ones time to breathe. We'll see how that one actually pans out though.

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
You claimed the game lacked features. It's a statement that does not mean "I don't care for what's being shown", which is what you're saying only now.
Of course people would confront you about that, because it's a statement you can't make yet.

Yes, it lacks features from previous games, it was announced during Treehouse. Also, all Pokémon entries lack features from previous one which is something I don't like. I prefer them to expand on existing features and to cut unnecessary gameplay gimmicks.

Even then, a game like persona 5 does transitions as well and the battle starts much, much faster.

Indeed. I was thinking something like DQXI.

Hucast

alt account
Banned
Mar 25, 2019
I still don't understand why the battle can't start in the same place where you encounter the Pokémon and you need to change game screen. It slows down everything.
That kind of turn based style is still a thing with games like persona like already mentioned. A lot snappier though.

The level of unreasonableness in this thread tells me that it's time to ignore the thread

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Pokémon needs to account for the trainer to send out a Pokémon unlike other games, and seriously you're complaining about a 1 second difference?
I don't know why someone with a FF15 avatar is coming into Pokémon threads to complain about quality, now that's irony.
That animation is unnecessary tbh. I dont need to see the full throw animation for the 300th time if its just a random battle. And if its an animation thats going to be shown a lot they shouldve just made it faster.

Kiraly

Oct 30, 2017
Because the game has to load the different Pokémon and animations. To do otherwise it'd need to keep all the Pokémon and animations in its buffer at all times

I think the poster means akin to Dragon Quest XI, which places the battles in the current environment you are in with the same black fade-out instead of a separate environment just for battling.

The reality is that the fixed camera control routes of the majority of the game means the environments have been curated for a specific camera angle and placing the battles in there would be unrealistic because they can't account for every angle.

Instead we get standard environments with 2D images in the background.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
And probably also because you can have a Wailord in your team everywhere so they can't design every area of the game around it.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, it lacks features from previous games, it was announced during Treehouse. Also, all Pokémon entries lack features from previous one which is something I don't like. I prefer them to expand on existing features and to cut unnecessary gameplay gimmicks.
That's fair. It doesn't mean the game lacks features altogether, though, which is what I got from your first post. I understand what you mean now.

Status
Not open for further replies.