• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Apa504

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Indeed Game Freak's issues are not related to team size but to development mentality and decision making. It's clear that they can't know which direction to take with the franchise, abandoning features, Pokémon and presenting half-baked solutions (why visible Pokémon only in a specific region of the map? It's 2019 and Let's Go had the always visible).

They are visible everywhere, not just in the wild area.

Deleted member 36622

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 21, 2017
Pokémon Sword/Shield looks cleaner visually than Fire Emblem Three Houses. I don't think it's THAT bad all things considered, i understand the criticism but you have to look at where GF is coming from.

Yes, HD gaming is a challenge now for Game Freak, Intelligent Systems and other japanese studios who used to make games for handheld systems, pokémon fans are maybe too young to remember that bigger studios have been through this too at the beginning of 360/PS3 life cycle.

This is a step forward compared to Let's Go, which came out not even a year ago. I honestly question if pokémon fans know how game development works.

Last edited:

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Indeed Game Freak's issues are not related to team size but to development mentality and decision making. It's clear that they can't know which direction to take with the franchise, abandoning features, Pokémon and presenting half-baked solutions (why visible Pokémon only in a specific region of the map? It's 2019 and Let's Go had the always visible).
Visible Pokémon aren't only in a specific region of the map. They're everywhere.
14.jpg
24.jpg
65.jpg

They don't "abandon" features either. That's hyperbolised. However, if they continued every aspect, there would be huge feature bloat which would take up so much bloody dev time we'd lose even more Pokémon. As such, they decide some elements should be a feature exclusive to a game, which is fine, nd new features appear to replace them

They also do know what direction they want to take the franchise. Just because you or I may not like it doesn't mean they don't know it

Deleted member 19218

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Didn't that xenoblade game have really bad handheld resolution though? I seem to recall a topic about that.

Animal Crossing doesn't look as detailed as that Xenoblade game either, are people disappointed in that too?

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
Visible Pokémon aren't only in a specific region of the map. They're everywhere.

That's good to know!

They don't "abandon" features either. That's hyperbolised. However, if they continued every aspect, there would be huge feature bloat which would take up so much bloody dev time we'd lose even more Pokémon. As such, they decide some elements should be a feature exclusive to a game, which is fine, nd new features appear to replace them

Of course they abandon features.

Mega-evolutions and Z-moves are the most recent examples but every Pokémon entry lacks some new features of the previous games. You see, the issue is really that they focus on such features when no one really cares (or at least a really small fraction of people... Do you really believe people bought Sun/Moon because of Z-moves? Lol) or they have limited impact on actual gameplay. They should expand on world building and battle system.

Kain

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I don't mind the features thing personally. I remember in Platinum I think there were so many pokestuff and extra shit that I got overwhelmed. They have to cull features every now and then, refine and improve some, cut others and create new ones. I think they're doing a good job there in general.

I do think they should put some spin in the combat formula.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Mega-evolutions and Z-moves are the most recent examples but every Pokémon entry lacks some new features of the previous games. You see, the issue is really that they focus on such features when no one really cares (or at least a really small fraction of people... Do you really believe people bought Sun/Moon because of Z-moves? Lol) or they have limited impact on actual gameplay. They should expand on world building and battle system.
They have been expanding on world building and the battle system. That's the thing.

However, if they kept every feature that existed so your PWT, DexNav, PokéStar Studios, PR Videos etc., it'd split development time away from that. The truly important features like Hyper Training and things like that do carry over

There's nothing wrong with leaving some stuff exclusive to other games.

I do agree that Megas and Z-Moves are annoying, but I see that as an extension of the cull really.

Tirisfal

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
London
Every bit of footage I've seen of sword and shield has been disappointing. It looks really bland, so it's hard to get excited for this. Hearing now about the cut pokemon makes this more likely to be a skippable game.

I like the way pokemon let's go looks so I dont mind sticking to that for my pokemon fix, along with the older games.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Every bit of footage I've seen of sword and shield has been disappointing. It looks really bland, so it's hard to get excited for this. Hearing now about the cut pokemon makes this more likely to be a skippable game.

I like the way pokemon let's go looks so I dont mind sticking to that for my pokemon fix, along with the older games.
You know Let's Go cut out even more Pokémon than this game is doing, right?

Luminish

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Denver
Same staff wouldn't all be working on the same game at the same time.

For example, there'd be different Art Directors. Pokémon designers wouldn't be working on Let's Go towards the end of development and so forth
Isn't that true for basically every game company ever? But not every game developer has near as packed a lineup as Gamefreak has in recent years.

The number of people who touch a game doesn't exactly tell the whole story if they only worked on it for a very short while.

Deleted member 36622

Banned
Dec 21, 2017

But it looks far worse than Sword and Shield, how can you be happy with that, i don't get it.

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
They have been expanding on world building and the battle system. That's the thing.

However, if they kept every feature that existed so your PWT, DexNav, PokéStar Studios, PR Videos etc., it'd split development time away from that. The truly important features like Hyper Training and things like that do carry over

There's nothing wrong with leaving some stuff exclusive to other games.

I do agree that Megas and Z-Moves are annoying, but I see that as an extension of the cull really.

They really haven't.

To the average player, battle systems hasn't really changed much over the years. In fact, it's become slower with new entries (just playing White 2 and the difference is clear). World has always been incredibly linear. Only now we have a glimpse of a more open areas and it looks pretty flat and empty.

It is annoying that new features are introduced and then forgotten. That's a fact. Players want to see more complete and bigger games and not new gimmicks all the time.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Isn't that true for basically every game company ever? But not every game developer has near as packed a lineup as Gamefreak has in recent years.

The number of people who touch a game doesn't exactly tell the whole story if they only worked on it for a very short while.
Exactly my point.

People use the number of people at Game Freak or who work on a game as an indicator of quality these days. It's crazy.
They really haven't.

To the average player, battle systems hasn't really changed much over the years. In fact, it's become slower with new entries (just playing White 2 and the difference is clear). World has always been incredibly linear. Only now we have a glimpse of a more open areas and it looks pretty flat and empty.

It is annoying that new features are introduced and then forgotten. That's a fact. Players want to see more complete and bigger games and not new gimmicks all the time.
So you want old gimmicks to stay in the game rather than they produce new stuff?

Today's "gimmick" is tomorrow's "feature"

Jan 15, 2019
I mean, the basic geometry of the world is mostly fine. It just really needs some improved textures and lighting effects and what not. I'm hopeful that the next time we see Sword/Shield (September direct?) It'll get the same kind of improvement we saw in Luigi's Mansion 3 from its reveal trailer to E3.

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
I will say this game looks rougher than I was hoping but it's my first Pokemon game since Red when I was like 12 so I can't complain.

Hopefully end of Switch gen or next we will see more marked improvements to the visuals.

Wha-? Since when? That didn't sound like what was said in the recent Direct. Did this get changed already or did they speak the wrong info?

Cool if true.

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
So you want old gimmicks to stay in the game rather than they produce new stuff?

I want to keep a coherent development process across entries.

I don't care much about new gimmicks, especially those that don't improve/impact much the gameplay. So I'd be fine for Game Freak to avoid introducing new gimmicks/features all the time and focusing, at the moment, on what they've introduced in the past entries.

trugs26

Jan 6, 2018
Well it's risk management and maximising profits.

They can get away with doing a low effort job with extremely high sales. So why not? This would be the purely a business point of view.

Mass_Pincup

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I agree with you OP, but Pokemon fans seem to be happy with it as evidenced by this page so it's never going to change.

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Exactly my point.

People use the number of people at Game Freak or who work on a game as an indicator of quality these days. It's crazy.

So Joe, aren't you getting tired of defending Gamefreak time and again? Are these your true beliefs or do you feel the need to defend them based on your own work? I'm just curious.

What's your opinion on Sword and Shield?

Sou Da

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So Joe, aren't you getting tired of defending Gamefreak time and again? Are these your true beliefs or do you feel the need to defend them based in your own work? I'm just curious.
I mean he isn't wrong on this specific point. People used to call HGSS' following pokemon a dumb gimmick to make the game not look like a rehash and now people demand that shit be in every game.

Egida

Oct 27, 2017
After Let's Go my expectations were so, so utterly low, that I'm actually glad for what we're getting: Wild battles, More than 150 mons, no grid map nor that bland Vita HD port look, no legendary locked by a 60$ peripheral and one open, free camera area. Maybe this was part of their plan all along lol.

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
Yes, HD gaming is a challenge now for Game Freak, Intelligent Systems and other japanese studios who used to make games for handheld systems, pokémon fans are maybe too young to remember that bigger studios have been through this too at the beginning of 360/PS3 life cycle.

It was understandable developers were struggling when HD platforms came for the first time. It was a new thing, developers didn't have the competencies and the jump was big. Game Freak could have set up for the jump long time ago---they're developing a 16m franchise not a niche one. Blue Dragon was released in 2006 and developed by Artoon (!) and it looked better.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Isn't low effort job essentially the "lazy devs" rhetoric?

Yeah of course it is, but from a casual observation it seems like the word 'lazy' has to specifically be used for it to mean anything on this site at least. 'Cutting corners', 'can't be bothered', 'they don't care' and indeed 'low effort' all seem fair game even though they all imply the same thing really.

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Everyone who is going to buy a physical copy of Sword is insane. The logo is not centered. How could they do this? I am not kidding btw, it really puts me off.

I'm getting it physical, but only to be able to sell it again should I not like it. On the Switch, I'm still doing that with most games that are also available physically.

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
The environments, specifically the wild area could do with some work. The Pokemon models are great though and truly reflective of their actual artwork. They look like 3DS models upscaled because...they are the 3DS models upscaled. That's the point. Game Freak created these 3D models to be future proof, at least for the time being. They can't be remaking 800+ Pokemon models per entry.

Sou Da

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah of course it is, but from a casual observation it seems like the word 'lazy' has to specifically be used for it to mean anything on this site at least. 'Cutting corners', 'can't be bothered', 'they don't care' and indeed 'low effort' all seem fair game even though they all imply the same thing really.
Cmon breh, you've been here long enough to know that moderation just means that people figure out how to use weasel words.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
So Joe, aren't you getting tired of defending Gamefreak time and again? Are these your true beliefs or do you feel the need to defend them based on your own work? I'm just curious.

What's your opinion on Sword and Shield?
I'm not defending them for the cull as it's a bloody stupid idea.

I will, however, always quash misinformation and flawed logic.

Personally, I love how SWSH is looking. If it wasn't for Treehouse's bombshell, people would be as excited as they were just a week and a half ago and we wouldn't have people nitpicking every little blemish as if it's the absolute worst thing.

I think it had a chance of being the best and most loved Pokémon game. It certainly doesn't now though.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The environments, specifically the wild area could do with some work. The Pokemon models are great though and truly reflective of their actual artwork. They look like 3DS models upscaled because...they are the 3DS models upscaled. That's the point. Game Freak created these 3D models to be future proof, at least for the time being. They can't be remaking 800+ Pokemon models per entry.
You would think since they made the models already they wouldn't have to "Cut" any from the game either... but...

Jecht

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (5 Days): Personal attack; History of antagonizing other posters
I'm so glad there is someone with a vested interest in this brand doing well shilling against every critical post made on the last couple pages. Super cool.

Corrie1960

Banned
Mar 19, 2019
User Warned: Lazy dev rhetoric
Pure laziness end off and Gamefreak turned Pokémon into a gimmick

I'm tired of Gamefreak introducing new features and taking them away from us

Mega's / people love them you can take away
Z Moves / same thing
Pokémon following you people love them also

National Pokédex is the last straw the Pokémon slogan is gotta catch em all Christ above Gamefreak your just lazy at this point.

Pokémon is a billion dollar franchise hire more staff

If anyone enjoys giganticmaxing this gen make the most of it, it will be gone next gen that's what sucks here

I'm am excited for sword and shield but the game is not impressive it looks like a HD 3DS game nothing about the game screams we're giving it our all there just phoning it in :(

I'll will be buying Pokémon soars I've been with the franchise since day 1 and from gen 1-5 it's been epic but gen 6-7 Gamefreak the jump to 3D & HD Gamefreak I dunno what's wrong with them

Gamefreak delayed diamond and pearl back in gen day yeah? Do the same here and add in everything. Don't create it if you can't support it in the future

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
You would think since they made the models already they wouldn't have to "Cut" any from the game either... but...

I agree. The decision still baffles me, honestly considering how they handled the transition to 3D and what they originally said when they announced Pokemon Home. Just seems like a complete 180. If this means getting games out quicker, okay great, but I don't like the idea of Game Freak increasingly cutting corners just to get a Pokemon game out every year.

Deleted member 36622

Banned
Dec 21, 2017
It was understandable developers were struggling when HD platforms came for the first time. It was a new thing, developers didn't have the competencies and the jump was big. Game Freak could have set up for the jump long time ago---they're developing a 16m franchise not a niche one. Blue Dragon was released in 2006 and developed by Artoon (!) and it looked better.

I understand the criticism but i don't think GF could have done much more with this dev cycle, they have to make new Pokémon games every year, so of course all you will see are little improvements instead of a giant upgrade.

Take Tales of Arise, that's looking better than any other Tales game, but because they took the time to make that jump. I'd love to see Pokémon looking like Dragon Quest XI, but that is also another game that was in development for 4-5 years, GF cannot afford it.

It's also kinda crazy that Let's Go and Sword / Shield are made on two different engines with different visuals, that almost seems a waste of resources in my opinion.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I agree. The decision still baffles me, honestly considering how they handled the transition to 3D and what they originally said when they announced Pokemon Home. Just seems like a complete 180. If this means getting games out quicker, okay great, but I don't like the idea of Game Freak increasingly cutting corners just to get a Pokemon game out every year.
It's not getting the games out quicker. They release a new game every year no matter what. And that is exactly why they do this. Because they know they can put out a new version next year with all of the Pokemon back and the game looking slightly better and get everyone's money again.

Status
Not open for further replies.