• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 9714

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm talking about the EA Star Wars artist dude who is posting in this thread :)
That guy said GameFreak is making the models from scratch when we already know that isn't true though. He didn't have anything useful to contribute to the discussion at all.

It's almost like the largest western gaming conference just took place and they had to have something ready to show. Criticizing textures when they have a lot of time left to improve is a waste of time.
The textures are being hyper-criticized because of the Pokemon-culling. It sounds like development is a mess at GameFreak if they had to cut half of their roster to rush to fix textures in the last few months of development.

Apa504

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
And people ask why we dont see more gameplay at E3.

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I'm interested on this. What prevents them from just enlarging the model that's already high res and calling it a day?
If the model and texture isnt hi res enough itll look terrible and or cause lighting issues, shader issues etc

Since its a new feature it comes with its own problems that you wouldn't have accounted for when you built the old character model

Not saying what issues in particular it may or may not have caused, just outlining some fairly common stuff. Every game is its own wonderful den of "I cant believe that one seemingly small thing is fucking us over right now" I worked on a game not long ago where getting floor tiles with tilable textures to work to barely shippable standards was months of work.

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
Xenoblade 2 isn't a great showcase, I feel.
It was a rushed and heavily outsourced year one switch title.
Here's what the main Monolith Soft team did as their first HD game on Wii U
large.jpg
Digital Foundry said Xenoblade 2 is a step up over X in every way.every,single,way :^P

Apa504

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That guy said GameFreak is making the models from scratch when we already know that isn't true though. He didn't have anything useful to contribute to the discussion at all.

Oh so now we attack developers, not surprised coming from you though.

@dedmunk

Banned
Oct 11, 2018
So why not expand? Why not invest, and make the studio staffed enough to actually create a game worthy of the franchise?

The only answer is a lack of ambition. The same game they've made for decades has sold, and so there's no reason to improve the game.

Perhaps they like to operate very efficiently to ensure a bigger return on investment? I don't know, I'm not part of the company - anything anyone offers as reason for this is pure speculation.

I think they aren't doing too badly considering their size. I have been frustrated by what I would call lack of innovation in the past, but I have come to realise it's just not their vision for the game, so there's no point wasting my time being frustrated. I'll enjoy what they put out, I don't think it'll be as great as it could be to suit my tastes, but my tastes aren't everyone's.

Leo

Oct 27, 2017
The OP isn't outraged though. What's with the branding of any criticism as outrage?

Yeah, it's here in the rules now, I believe saying anything about the quality of the Pokemon games automatically classifies as outrage, hating, negative circlejerk and dev abuse. Please take notice.

Soran

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is infuriating when people tell us to not complain when we couldn't complain about the 3DS games performance because future proofing models(which was true back then) and the lack of pokemons on Let's Go because "It isn't a mainline game. You will get your game next year".
In the end the high poly models were for nothing and our fears about Let's Go were legit.

Cronogear

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Game Freak is one of the most unambitious game devs who somehow keeps failing upwards.
I'd say they're more failing sideways.

Pokemon has been stagnant for a while, both with the games themselves and sales figures. They haven't dropped per se, but after Gold/SIlver, each mainline entry has sold roughly the same amount (around half of what Red/Blue sold). I think that speaks more of the foundations of what makes Pokemon such a great concept rather than the games themselves.

MegaXZero

One Winged Slayer
Jun 21, 2018
If the model and texture isnt hi res enough itll look terrible and or cause lighting issues, shader issues etc

Since its a new feature it comes with its own problems that you wouldn't have accounted for when you built the old character model

Not saying what issues in particular it may or may not have caused, just outlining some fairly common stuff. Every game is its own wonderful den of "I cant believe that one seemingly small thing is fucking us over right now" I worked on a game not long ago where getting floor tiles with tilable textures to work to barely shippable standards was months of work.
Okay, thanks for the insight. So even though Creatures created these models to be futureproofed, there can always be an issue with the system, engine, or new features that can make that futureproofing less than perfect.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
God Bless Capcom for not making the same mistake Game Freak did

Sure our fanbases are pretty distinct but I cant help but spot the parallels

Series that was stuck in its ways and portable focused for damn near a decade with tiny iterations and the fanbase arguing with itself over what the series should or shouldn't do... and part of us splitting off and fighting over the series advancing, jumping to console, moving to HD while the other side rebuffed hard and clung to "what always worked"

Then the megaton bomb that was Monster Hunter World dropped.....

Part of me is quite sad that you guys aren't getting that moment with Sword and Shield... despite it looking modestly good considering the resources available to Game Freak.

I wish I knew what was holding them back. My guess would be time. For as fast as this was put together its not too shabby looking. Do we know when they started?

TimeFire

Avenger
Nov 26, 2017
Brazil
God Bless Capcom for not making the same mistake Game Freak did

Sure our fanbases are pretty distinct but I cant help but spot the parallels

Series that was stuck in its ways and portable focused for damn near a decade with tiny iterations and the fanbase arguing with itself over what the series should or shouldn't do... and part of us splitting off and fighting over the series advancing, jumping to console, moving to HD while the other side rebuffed hard and clung to "what always worked"

Then the megaton bomb that was Monster Hunter World dropped.....

Part of me is quite sad that you guys aren't getting that moment with Sword and Shield... despite it looking modestly good considering the resources available to Game Freak.

I wish I knew what was holding them back. My guess would be time. For as fast as this was put together its not too shabby looking. Do we know when they started?

2016, I believe.

Deleted member 9714

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So what is saying that a developer is wrong and doesnt know what he is talking about ?
Saying an EA developer is wrong about what is going on at GameFreak when we have evidence of him being wrong is not attacking. We know they aren't making all of the models from scratch. Why are we going to pretend it's true?

jchap

Oct 27, 2017
Even limited, there is a ton of content in any pokemon game. This one will surely be no exception. I'm still in day one. Hopefully they patch in National Dex at some future point.

Apa504

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
NOPE!

Three Houses might not look impressive in terms of graphics or artstyle but it's definitely a step forward for the franchise in terms of story, mechanics and overall gameplay, the sheer amount of content it has is amazing.s
i will take your word for it, i just ser screenshoots and can't help to think even the Warrior game looks better at times

TimeFire

Avenger
Nov 26, 2017
Brazil
NOPE!

Three Houses might not look impressive in terms of graphics or artstyle but it's definitely a step forward for the franchise in terms of story, mechanics and overall gameplay, the sheer amount of content it has is amazing.

Yeah, Three Houses is by far the most ambitious Fire Emblem ever made. Three branching story paths, multiple endings, super customizable units, the wide variety of new battlefield mechanics. It's pretty great

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
Saying an EA developer is wrong about what is going on at GameFreak when we have evidence of him being wrong is not attacking. We know they aren't making all of the models from scratch. Why are we going to pretend it's true?

You have evidence?

Gilver

Banned
Nov 14, 2018
Costa Rica
Difference is Pokemon core gameplay is still good, whereas WWE2K is routinely garbage in every aspect

The rest of Pokemon's package sucks (graphics,speed,UI,plot, difficulty) but their mechanics are top tier
Pokemon is consistently good, I wouldn't say they are top tier by any stretch. The simplicity of the mechanics is what made me move on to other games but maybe im just asking for something that Pokemon is not.

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
Perhaps they like to operate very efficiently to ensure a bigger return on investment? I don't know, I'm not part of the company - anything anyone offers as reason for this is pure speculation.

I think they aren't doing too badly considering their size. I have been frustrated by what I would call lack of innovation in the past, but I have come to realise it's just not their vision for the game, so there's no point wasting my time being frustrated. I'll enjoy what they put out, I don't think it'll be as great as it could be to suit my tastes, but my tastes aren't everyone's.
And I agree. Ultimately, this is a business decision. Small teams have small budgets. It'd be better if they spent more, but the evidence isn't there to confirm sales would increase.

But just as I'd roast a developer for adding loot boxes to boost profits, I roast TPC & GF for keeping costs down to do the same.

Apa504

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

You know nothing either, so Im going to side with someone that at least works in the industry, and not with someone who say that some people are the worst that has happened to the community.

Oct 25, 2017
So what is saying that a developer is wrong and doesnt know what he is talking about ?
The models are not made from scratch so that's wrong.
If they some how were privy to that information, it would still be weird that GameFreak remade models from scratch to look nearly identical to how they used to.

Maybe animations from scratch...or maybe they were using the term "from scratch" incorrectly, dunno

Deleted member 9714

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
You know nothing either, so Im going to side with someone that at least works in the industry, and not with someone who say that some people are the worst that has happened to the community.
That's fine. If you want to pretend GameFreak is making all the Pokémon models from scratch, you can. It will get you a weird side-eye from lots of people though btw.

Status
Not open for further replies.