• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 32018

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2017
It isn't, but I'm sure someone will come up with some bullshit excuse to internally rationalise it or actually just ignore the post and respond to the next hot take from someone that has never been seen in a Pokémon thread before and equating it with the wider Pokémon community.

So we are not allowed to respond with anything other than agreeing and we can't ignore either? Nice post.

Yeah, I'll stand by that.

Post something that can be seen without a microscope please.

@dedmunk

Banned
Oct 11, 2018
Torna the Golden Country looks and performs better visually compared to XBC2

94o7mUG.jpg

Holy shit I slept on this and now I need to get it.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
Okay so I may be opening up a barrel of pickles with this one but I have to ask.

Would people be so hard on Sword and Shield if it wasn't for the Dex thing?
Era has always been vocal with complaints on how GF handles Pokemon.

A higher res version of this:

images

?

Yeah, I'll stand by that.
Even just looking at the character models I don't see how you can think this looks like Sword and Shield at a lower res.

TimeFire

Avenger
Nov 26, 2017
Brazil
Okay so I may be opening up a barrel of pickles with this one but I have to ask.

No. People were pretty hyped for the game before the Dex news broke. Now it's just years and years of being frustrated with Game Freak being materialized in ResetEra Thread form

May 30, 2018
At this point Pokemon has a well defined formula, shouldn't be hard to replicate.

Nintendo should give a 3rd party the opportunity to make a Pokemon mainline game and see how they do (reception+sales)

Gilver

Banned
Nov 14, 2018
Costa Rica
Is Pokemon getting to that wresting game status where they realize people will buy it anyway regardless of changes or improvements?

Bigg

Oct 25, 2017
I think there are legitimate complains about sword and shield but also I really wish people would stop with the "Game Freak is lazy" argument

Game Freak is a small studio that has to make a new game every single year. They are not lazy, they're being stretched thin. And yes, I agree this should be addressed. But calling them lazy is just shitty.

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA

Era was hard on it before the Dex thing.

The Dex just gave the wider fanbase a reason to turn on the game. Like, if they're giving up the philosophy of the series for 'graphical enhancements' - it should be better than this.

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not mad about... anything to do with sw/sh really, buy I find this argument kinda silly. It's a more than good investment for gamefreak to generate rigged models (at multiple qualities from super high to super low) and stock animations for every Pokemon in their catalog. I'd be really shocked if they don't have it already. It's literally the core of their business.

That said, three weeks ago the same people complaining now we're saying, "just make the same game but hd". It's hard to take them seriously now. They're either going to buy regardless, or were never customers to begin with.
You are giving the game industry a lot more organizational credit than it deserves, haha. The fact that these models can be made to gigantic screen filling sizes implies some reworking got done.

Regardless, all the new pokemon had to be made, which are a large amount. Re: legacy pokemon, If you think all they had to do was grab the Squirtle prefab from X and throw it into the new game on a new home console with a new engine with a new lighting and rendering system and expect it to work hunky dory thats just not a realistic scenario. I definitely believe you when it comes to games like Sun and Moon though. They do benefit from having access to all their previous work and Im sure things here and there get reused (library of high res textures etc) but the jump from portable to home console means everything gets a pass or a redo.

For instance, in our game we still have to make a ton of things from scratch. Youd think theres a lot of work available but for many reasons its not really usable so we have to start over.

Kiraly

Oct 30, 2017

Nah, general sentiment was positive to very positive after the pre-E3 Direct. Game Freak invited this huge negativity with their reasoning for removing half the Pokémon though. None of the returns for that decision are as of yet to be seen and they could have known people would be nitpicking every single detail after such a decision.

TimeFire

Avenger
Nov 26, 2017
Brazil
Hot take:
I prefer XY's character models than Gen 7 or Gen 8's

It looks cuter. I'd be pretty happy if SwSh looked like an uprezzed XY

Jan 15, 2019
I think it's hard not to feel underwhelmed. I remember kids saying "Could you imagine a full console Pokemon game?!" back when I was like 9 years old, so obviously it's a little disappointing that Sword and Shield seems so undercooked when people have been imagining what this game would be like for 20+ years. That said, I'm willing to reserve final judgment until the game is released. Adding Pokemon back in through free updates seems entirely possible, and they have several months to improve the visual fidelity of Sword & Shield before release. Some people are reacting as if the game has been released and it's set in stone when there're still like 120 days of development left.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018

No. The problem is that they cut Pokemon with the "graphics and animations" excuse, when:

1. XY and SM had bad performance because they supposedly did all the Pokemon models in HD, to "future proof" them.
2. Graphics aren't wonderful and animations are bad, Pokemon don't ever touch each other battling.
3. Pokemon Home was announced, will be great to pay a subscription to keep your Pokemon stucked a mobile app.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
i think Gamefreaks is feeling the same pain ala to Polyphony Digital when they went from GT4 to GT5.

They have too much 'low-fi legacy' content to humanly convert to a more modern definition.

The Silver

Oct 28, 2017
honestly I don't really care about the graphics, people like to say devs should focus more on the gameplay instead of indulging in a graphics arms race and that's my philosophy. Deadly Premonition is one of my favorite games ever and that game looks like utter dogshit.
Yeah yeah Pokemon is a massive property so there's no excuse for not giving it all the budget and manpower and I agree with that but I just still don't care about the graphics.

Now that said I do care about this excuse about snapping Pokemon from existence in order to insure greater quality when so far there's no evidence of this "quality". If cutting the pokedex allowed them to put in Pokemon Stadium level animations? Ok. I wouldn't think that's a good trade off at all but at least it's something tangible. If the graphics were better or at the very least comparable to its peers in the genre, great, again not a good trade off IMO but it would have been something. So yeah while I don't personally care about the graphics I agree with the sentiment that GF is being "exposed" so far. Well I always felt this way about them but finally it seems it took going all Thanos on pokemon for others to see it.

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
I think there are legitimate complains about sword and shield but also I really wish people would stop with the "Game Freak is lazy" argument

Game Freak is a small studio that has to make a new game every single year. They are not lazy, they're being stretched thin. And yes, I agree this should be addressed. But calling them lazy is just shitty.
Why is a small studio handling a franchise as big as Pokemon at all?

Superking

Oct 25, 2017
Why do people say that things like uprezzed 3DS games as if it's not possible to see those?

Sword and Shield look nothing like that.

That video looks pretty close to what I played at E3. Probably even better cause it looks like that one has even less aliasing than SS.

*shrug*

maybe I do need to get my eyes checked, but to me, it doesn't seem as crazy as people are making it out to be.

Keyouta

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I think most people are not too fussed about the graphics of Pokemon titles, though that may change due to them coming to consoles. The big issue is that they're starting to cut Pokemon, and the excuse is for better animations, more detail, etc, so fans obviously will pick and prod where they can (Wingull's animation).

I generally agree, if they want to cut Pokemon, whose models haven't changed from the 3DS games, then they need to show where these development resources are going to. When X/Y was releasing, they made a big deal of the models being high quality and future proof, so it's weird they aren't bringing the full dex through here. The Gen 6 and 7 games had to cut things like triple battles, Gen 7 cut hoard battles, due to the model quality slowing down the system.

Wetalo

Feb 9, 2018
Everyone here is backseat developing so hard.

We don't know what's going on behind the scenes. Maybe their tools have limitations? Maybe implementing new animations into their systems is actually much more of a hassle then we suspect? Maybe the sheer volume of QA needed followed by bug fixing and tinkering was out of scope for the holiday deadline?

Maybe development is just going rocky and they had to, disappointingly to everyone on the team, cut the scope and cut features? None of us can tell them how easy it is to implement all 900 Pokemon without knowing what's happening behind closed doors at Game Freak.

Bigg

Oct 25, 2017

People have been hard on Game Freak for a while (since around...XY, I think?)

There would have been some backlash to Sword/Shield no matter what but the lack of a national dex is definitely exacerbating things and giving the "Game Freak is lazy/Game Freak doesn't care about the fans/Game Freak is incompetent" crowd an easy scapegoat to point at

MegaXZero

One Winged Slayer
Jun 21, 2018
You are giving the game industry a lot more organizational credit than it deserves, haha. The fact that these models can be made to gigantic screen filling sizes implies some reworking got done.

Regardless, all the new pokemon had to be made, which are a large amount. Re: legacy pokemon, If you think all they had to do was grab the Squirtle prefab from X and throw it into the new game on a new home console with a new engine with a new lighting and rendering system and expect it to work hunky dory thats just not a realistic scenario. I definitely believe you when it comes to games like Sun and Moon though. They do benefit from having access to all their previous work and Im sure things here and there get reused (library of high res textures etc) but the jump from portable to home console means everything gets a pass or a redo.

For instance, in our game we still have to make a ton of things from scratch. Youd think theres a lot of work available but for many reasons its not really usable so we have to start over.
I'm interested on this. What prevents them from just enlarging the model that's already high res and calling it a day?

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Developer of a largely modular and annual handheld IP make a console game and it doesn't look like BOTW or Xenoblade

Having an open area with camera control was honestly more than I expected.

With any other studio, people hope they are amazed with the new entries, and expect a lot from gameplay, voice acting, artstyle, graphics, performance.

But with GF, pokemon fans are like "hope they don't take away this feature" or "this could be worse, let's be thankful for games without post game content!!!1!1"

This brand loyalty is astonishing. Not even Star wars fans defend the Ip this much, and do the PR for lucasfilms.

May 30, 2018
Is Pokemon getting to that wresting game status where they realize people will buy it anyway regardless of changes or improvements?

Difference is Pokemon core gameplay is still good, whereas WWE2K is routinely garbage in every aspect

The rest of Pokemon's package sucks (graphics,speed,UI,plot, difficulty) but their mechanics are top tier

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
People have been hard on Game Freak for a while (since around...XY, I think?)

There would have been some backlash to Sword/Shield no matter what but the lack of a national dex is definitely exacerbating things and giving the "Game Freak is lazy/Game Freak doesn't care about the fans/Game Freak is incompetent" crowd an easy scapegoat to point at
People have been shitting on GameFreak since forever. It's revisionist history to say BW was well received compared to XY, same as DP, same as RS...

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
Because gamefreak own part of TPC by memory and they are responsible at least in part for making it as successful as it is.
So why not expand? Why not invest, and make the studio staffed enough to actually create a game worthy of the franchise?

The only answer is a lack of ambition. The same game they've made for decades has sold, and so there's no reason to improve the game.

Wetalo

Feb 9, 2018
We have someone from the industry kindly explaining the work that goes into these things and people are just ignoring it.
Are you referring to that YouTube video by the animator posted earlier or something else? Cause I felt he was also backseating pretty hard.

EDIT :Ah the Star Wars dev, and yep I like his responses! I was referring to everyone calling it ridiculous that Game Freak can't include the whole Pokedex.

TimeFire

Avenger
Nov 26, 2017
Brazil

We don't know what's going on behind the scenes. Maybe their tools have limitations? Maybe implementing new animations into their systems is actually much more of a hassle then we suspect? Maybe the sheer volume of QA needed followed by bug fixing and tinkering was out of scope for the holiday deadline?

Maybe development is just going rocky and they had to, disappointingly to everyone on the team, cut the scope and cut features? None of us can tell them how easy it is to implement all 900 Pokemon without knowing what's happening behind closed doors at Game Freak.

How I want a Japanese Schreier to exist. I'd love to know what's going on behind closed doors on Game Freak HQ.

I don't think we shouldn't criticize them based on this, btw. I think any (reasonable, of course) criticism is valid and should be vocalized.

Deleted member 11626

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Can y'all wait until the game comes out ffs? They have several months of dev time left.

Some of you were never going to be pleased, no matter which type of fan you are. These threads are getting ridiculous. The whole premise behind them and all of the criticism is the lazy dev bullshit, and there's no reason this shit can't at least be consolidated to a single thread

Pleeeeease stop making sense. That sort of attitude is not welcome in these threads

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can y'all wait until the game comes out ffs? They have several months of dev time left.

Some of you were never going to be pleased, no matter which type of fan you are. These threads are getting ridiculous. The whole premise behind them and all of the criticism is the lazy dev bullshit, and there's no reason this shit can't at least be consolidated to a single thread

The funny thing is that this thread is a combination of three Pokemon threads yet there are still a bunch of them among the front page.

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
at least they are doing better than the Fire Emblem team 👀 more effort
images

1000217686cv14a.jpg

This is their first big HD game and they still have a small staff. You can't expect them to make a Xenoblade with their first HD game.

Just like many Japanese developers last Gen, they struggle with the transition.
But what abiut Lets Go?

udivision

Oct 25, 2017
So much hyperbole and ignorance surrounding this game at the moment. Absolute low point of Era's short history imo.
For whatever reason, dissatisfaction with GF didn't hit a fever pitch until now. I don't know why this stuff didn't come out more naturally over the years but now people feel bold enough to voice these concerns I guess.

Deleted member 11626

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They wouldn't release information on the game ahead of release if they didn't want anyone to talk about it.

It's almost like the largest western gaming conference just took place and they had to have something ready to show. Criticizing textures when they have a lot of time left to improve is a waste of time.

So much hyperbole and ignorance surrounding this game at the moment. Absolute low point of Era's short history imo.

Have you ever been an Era Pokémon thread? Pretty disgraceful show all around. Take a dive into any Let's Go thread from this time last year

Status
Not open for further replies.