• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chrno

Oct 25, 2017
it's fine. pokemon fans will let it slide since their mons are on a console for the first time in forever.

Wander_

Banned
Feb 26, 2018
Jeez, never played either game, but that looks waaaay better than what I've seen from the Switch game. XC2 must've been quite disappointing for the fans.

bullshits. xenoblade 2 is absolutely better than x technically.

xenobladex_08.jpg

xenoblade-chronicles-2-recensione-nintendo-switch-6.jpg

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
What's everyone's problem with sword and shield now? It's by far the best looking thing gamefreak has done.

Oct 27, 2017
Peru
I actually prefer the look of Let's Go.

It had a nice solid and consistent art style.

Viridian-Forest.png
Yup, I have been saying this since the beginning. Let's Go actually pulled the style it went for much more successfully than what we have seen from Sword & Shield, the latter basically looks like a rehash from Sun & Moon.

It's about time that Game Freak started receiving actual global criticism for their problems.

TimeFire

Avenger
Nov 26, 2017
Brazil
I don't see why someone would disagree with this. Having one of the best teams in the entire industry working on any big series would be cool. An EPD Sonic is a dream for many Sonic fans.

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
No worries, I like it the way it is.

This is the 9th gen for Pokemon right?

10th gen will have the visual upgrade :P

goldenpp73

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
I think X looks technically better and is a lot bigger in scope, and I beat Xeno 2 and barely played X..

Jahranimo

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Lmao one of these threads.

Well...the games could definitely be better looking but that doesn't seem to be their priority huh?

Edit: Holy smokes some of y'all need to go outside. Criticism is fine but it's looking kinda like r/Pokemon in here right now.

Mik317

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know what people expected really. These games are exactly inline with series history.

You want change... then don't buy them. If that's not enough for them to change then the people have spoken and it's time to move on.

It's really not that serious

Deleted member 32018

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2017

Lua

Aug 9, 2018
If the games start diminishing the brand value and not selling as well, then im pretty sure nintendo would brute force their way in. But as it stands they do nothing and just collect the profits later, no reason to do anything.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
While that would be nice I think the more important thing would be Game Freak hiring more staff. They want to put more focus on non Pokemon stuff and that seems to be to the detriment of Pokemon. Ideally they'd go from the current 150~200 they are at now up to around 500 with around 300 or more of those people dedicated to Pokemon.

Mik317

Oct 25, 2017
That's not how things work. Both companies own the series iirc and thus any change won't just be as easy as Big Ole Nintendo taking away Game Freaks xbox

justiceiro

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I think that people who expected more were being naive.

It's the same studio that made the prior games. Do people really thought they had tons of features ready to go and where only hold back by hardware? I really have no simpathy, it was clear as day that they would keep doing what they always did.

There is a lesson to be learned here: don't expect devs to fulfill promise they never made.

alpha

Oct 25, 2017
Xenoblade 2 isn't a great showcase, I feel.
It was a rushed and heavily outsourced year one switch title.
Here's what the main Monolith Soft team did as their first HD game on Wii U
large.jpg

Goddamn XCX still looks so good. I still think it tops XC2 in some areas.

On topic, Sword and Shield does not look great by any means, but it definitely looks better than the 3DS version and it wouldn't be true to say otherwise.

Ogodei

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coruscant
Not that it excuses them, but being Game Freak's first full-scale HD outing (they did do Tembo for PS3/360 but that was a 2D game) they might indeed be overwhelmed, much how the first gen of Wii U titles from Nintendo often suffered from delays while the teams became acclimated to HD development. Game Freak management should have foreseen this, of course.

@dedmunk

Banned
Oct 11, 2018
People when XBC2 released: Ugh the dynamic resolution is so bad, this is literally unplayable!

People now: Look how great this game looks GAMEFREAK! be better!

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
If you change the model you change the rig which means you have to reanimate. Thats the industry standard, no proof required unless they have some dope ass tech that allow them to make new character models for console spec and retain their legacy animations which ... doesnt seem like something youd want anyways since they probably made a bunch of new rigs for their new prod pipeline
But they aren't using new models. They are the exact same as the ones used in XY.

Deleted member 32018

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2017

Twister

Feb 11, 2019
I don't think the point is about having "realistic" graphics like people in this thread keep mentioning. A game can have cartoony visuals but still look fantastic. Look at Wind Waker for instance (despite the game being pretty old), it's cell-shaded and cartoony, but visually striking and it holds up well even today. Something like that would be nice from Pokémon. There's a lot they can do with the amount of money and resources they have, but they unfortunately choose not to.

PirateKingERA

Aug 22, 2018
Houston, Texas

Zelda

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I expected it to look better than Let's Go Pikachu / Eevee but somehow it looks worse. I wish they'd have gone with a look more similar to the Links Awakening remake.

Big One

Oct 25, 2017
Gamefreak isn't lazy (game devs all work very hard for the most part), they're just poorly managed all around. The stuff they do every game wouldn't even pass in a Call of Duty or Assassin's Creed yearly released despite Pokémon Gens being years apart from one another.

Doesn't mean I'll stop playing Pokémon but Gamefreak has been doing terrible shit for a very long time and getting away with it due to people constantly deflecting legitimate criticisms. There's no perspective for anyone involved here and honestly it's a shame that game journalists and people of importance in the Pokemon community refuse to take a stand on these things.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
This is their first big HD game and they still have a small staff. You can't expect them to make a Xenoblade with their first HD game.

Just like many Japanese developers last Gen, they struggle with the transition.

I mean, this isn't their first big hd game. Even if you're being generous, that would still have been last year's Pokémon game.

And why can't we expect that? Monolith soft managed it with what has to have been a fraction of the budget (since Pokémon will have expectations of ten times the sales or more)

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
I'm sorry I love XBC2, but it is such a mess visually that I laugh when it is held up as some standard.

DanteMenethil

Oct 25, 2017
I expected it to look better than Let's Go Pikachu / Eevee but somehow it looks worse. I wish they'd have gone with a look more similar to the Links Awakening remake.
Yeah Let's go is obviously way less ambitious but the artstyle is super clean and sharp, very easy to read while Sword/Shield is muddier

RockmanBN

Visited by Knack - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cornfields
Had gamefreak ever once said it was because of modeling? There is a lot more to the games then just their models.
The models go hand to hand with the animations they're using now in the game. It'd be understandable that they're having issues having to do animations for all 800ish Pokemon, but they're just reusing all the 3DS models which were futureproofed for when they went HD. Even the overworld animations you see in the Wild Area were already completed and inside the Sun and Moon games. People aren't seeing the increased "quality".

Status
Not open for further replies.