• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
LFm7YZP.png

It doesn't seem a lot of people are talking about this, but it was subtlety confirmed today in the Direct that Pokemon Home is a paid service.

For Pokemon fans, that means they will need a Nintendo Online membership to get the full functionality out of Sword/Shield (and even Let's Go), along with a separate subscription to Pokemon Home (for storage of all Pokemon and quite possibly more robust trading features).

How is everyone feeling about this? I was surprised more information on Home wasn't shared today given that it's launching in a few weeks. And going from $40 fully featured games on the 3DS with free online to $60 games, expansion passes, and multiple subscriptions just rubs me the wrong way.

Thoughts on all of this? What is an acceptable subscription price for Home?

Deception

Nov 15, 2017
That's going to be a no from me. Should just be tied to the Nintendo Online sub and owning the game.

Arkai

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Of course it would? Why would anyone assume otherwise?

Weebos

Oct 25, 2017
This was expected because Pokemon Bank is also a paid service.

Hopefully they keep the $5 a year price tag, though I doubt it.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
It sucks, but it was expected and assumed after Pokémon Bank also required a paid subscription.

That said, unless they add a lot more features to Home than Bank had, I don't want to pay more than $5 a year for it again.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Expected that they're separated. Don't think TPC ever even hinted otherwise.

Tathanen

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I am pretty sure this was always the case? Fuckin Pokemon Company, man.

Heruderu

Oct 29, 2017
I was already expecting that because of how Bank is, and hopefully it will be 5 dollars a year as Bank was (or wasn't it?)

Drayco21

Oct 25, 2017
It was always going to be this. They'll get away with it because it's Pokemon. They'll sell more subscriptions for it than they did for Bank. It'll probably cost more too, despite essentially being a prison for anywhere from 200 to 400 of the Pokemon you could store there.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Pokémon Bank was paid for, pretty sure most people expected Home would be paid for as well (assuming it wasn't already confirmed before) given the implication that it has more of a feature base, plus the fact that it also connects with non-Switch games.

Last edited:

Strat

Apr 8, 2018
And? Pokemon Bank was the same thing. It was also like $5 a year, so let's what and see the cost.

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
Don't even really know what this is, won't pay, don't care.

I love Sword but I'm not actually invested enough in Pokemon to be interested in this sort of thing.

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
I never got bank and never will get Home as I don't care for it.

But it's exactly how I expected to be. Not shocking honestly.

I don't really care about having my Pokémon saved. I just play the game's story and call it a day. Starting fresh is fine by me.

Eumi

Nov 3, 2017
Well I'm looking forward to having to second guess this series' decisions on whether or not they're really just trying to get me to pay up.

Brazil

Actual Brazilian
Oct 24, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
It's pretty weird that they just cut Pokémon Go from the equation and didn't even acknowledge it.

This is probably gonna be another $5/year sub. It's nothing.

OP
OP
Maple

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
I am pretty sure this was always the case? Fuckin Pokemon Company, man.

I believe this is the first official confirmation we've received though. And yeah, I just...don't like how all of this is playing out.

To get the "full" Pokemon experience in 2016 (and the years prior), you needed to buy the $40 game. That was it.

To get the "full" Pokemon experience in 2020, you need to buy the $60 game, an expansion pass, a NSO subscription, and now a Pokemon Home subscription.

That's just crazy to me.

What's the difference between home and bank anyway?

Bank allowed you to bring over Pokemon from older games into newer games. You could also store them there, but you could also store them in the actual games.

Home does the same thing, but now it's the only place where you can store all your Pokemon since the newer games aren't compatible with the full roster (even once the 200 returning Pokemon are added at the end of the year, because there will still be hundreds missing). This means you will need to keep paying indefinitely for a Home subscription for your Pokemon since not all of them will be able to be transported to the games. The GTS is also missing from Let's Go and Sword/Shield, which is rumored to be locked behind Pokemon Home.

Last edited:

Deleted member 31092

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Just wait for the announcement of the GTS being available only to paid HOME users after being removed from the main games.

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
Not surprised

I don't care about trading or the competitive scene so won't get a dime from me as far as Nintendo online and Pokémon home goes

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
It's pretty weird that they just cut Pokémon Go from the equation and didn't even acknowledge it.

It may be because they want to keep Go "Locked down", if they open it up to bank people would be able to import some incredibly powerful Pokemon. let's go also could only transfer one way with Go, from Go to Let's go but not the other way around. GO wants to keep strong legendaries locked behind raids and mythicals behind events.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Pokémon Go connectivity was one of the main selling points behind the service when it was first revealed, where did they confirm that's not a thing anymore?

Jbone115

Oct 25, 2017
I believe this is the first official confirmation we've received though. And yeah, I just...don't like how all of this is playing out.

To get the "full" Pokemon experience in 2016 (and the years prior), you needed to buy the $40 game. That was it.

To get the "full" Pokemon experience in 2020, you need to buy the $60 game, an expansion pass, a NSO subscription, and now a Pokemon Home subscription.
By your own definition, the "full Pokémon experience" in the past was actually buying a $40 game, a $40 enhanced version, and a Pokémon Bank subscription.

Brazil

Actual Brazilian
Oct 24, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil

Arkai

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
And who charges for the season pass per version. Sword's season pass? $30 usd. Shield's pass? 30 usd. Lmao
Because there are exclusive differences to each version and season pass? Ideally it'd be the one all round but it's not a stretch to know why this is the case.

Brazil

Actual Brazilian
Oct 24, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
It may be because they want to keep Go "Locked down", if they open it up to bank people would be able to import some incredibly powerful Pokemon. let's go also could only transfer one way with Go, from Go to Let's go but not the other way around. GO wants to keep strong legendaries locked behind raids and mythicals behind events.
I get that, which is why I was kind of looking forward to seeing what the hell they were planning to do about all of that, hahaha.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
Bank was a paid service, why would Home be free if it's expected to have even more features?

Deleted member 59562

Banned
Aug 28, 2019
China
LFm7YZP.png

It doesn't seem a lot of people are talking about this, but it was subtlety confirmed today in the Direct that Pokemon Home is a paid service.

For Pokemon fans, that means they will need a Nintendo Online membership to get the full functionality out of Sword/Shield (and even Let's Go), along with a separate subscription to Pokemon Home (for storage of all Pokemon and quite possibly more robust trading features).

How is everyone feeling about this? I was surprised more information on Home wasn't shared today given that it's launching in a few weeks. And going from $40 fully featured games on the 3DS with free online to $60 games, expansion passes, and multiple subscriptions just rubs me the wrong way.

Thoughts on all of this? What is an acceptable subscription price for Home?
The games are now a hook to lock you to a subscription for access to the old games
Buy the iceborne dlc
And play the Pokémon mobile games
And see the Pikachu movie
And buy the Pokémon dungeon spinoff
And use the special three ply snorlax toilet paper
And wear the uniqlo t shirt
And watch the Pokémon cartoon
And buy the new g max cards
And kill your family
And eat the Pokémon cereal
And sink money into the grabber machine for a detective Pikachu
And buy the phone case
And kill your family
And kill the pope
And kill the pope
And buy the special miltank ice cream

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
You do realize Nintendo is a third of TPC right?
Correct me if I'm mistaken, but isn't one of the reason TPCi exists is to more easily make decisions for the franchise without needing to go through Nintendo, Game Freak, & Creatures? Hell, Pokémon mobile games didn't start linking with your Nintendo Account until Pokémon Masters.

VPplaya

Nov 20, 2018
I do think its odd that they talked about stuff coming out way later than Home in detail but we still know almost nothing about Home and its out in a month.

Deleted member 14313

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As long as at is still $5 a year as it is for Pokémon Bank I'm not too bothered even though it is bullshit.