• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Twister

Feb 11, 2019
As someone that has grown up with Pokemon, this ad really hit home for me. I can't wait for the buddy update and I'm really happy Niantic continues to support Pokemon Go as well as they have been

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
This is not the first time they've leaned into this with their marketing.

It's completely antithetical to what they're doing with the games.

I realize Pokemon Go and Pokemon Sword and Shield are not made by the same people, but they did upload this ad to the Official Pokemon YouTube Channel, so you would expect some sort of consistency.

They have to know how people are going to take this, right?

EDIT: looking at the comments, I may be wrong. They're more wholesome than I ever could have expected.
You speak as if they were torturing real Squirtle or something. "Antiethical."

The Boat

Oct 28, 2017
I'm referring to the concept of growing up with your Pokemon, which a lot of people were upset you could no longer do.

After a quick google, it does look like Squirtle is NOT in the console games.
You are vastly overestimating the amount of people who care about the dexit and/or can be bothered to transfer their Pokémon from gen to gen. Also, Pokémon Home is on the horizon.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
Pokémon Go's marketing is always great. To the point it often makes you feel like the new feature is much better than it's actually going to be.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
It's a cute commercial for sure and got me a little bleary eyed

but I can't help but ask... why would you give your kid a gift in a plain cardboard box

NUnxAK9.png

and if this part of the ad was set in the late '90s early '00s what connections did those parents have to order Pokémon merch online, I was a kid back then, it was a challenge

I need only the most thoroughly researched historical depictions for my sentimental Pokémon GO commercials