• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada

Unlock exciting new Perks with Buddy Adventure

As you and your buddy get closer and your Buddy Level increases, you'll get to unlock exciting new Perks together! The Buddy Levels are Good Buddy, Great Buddy, Ultra Buddy, and Best Buddy.

• Good Buddy: Your buddy can join you on your map view! You'll also see how your buddy feels on the buddy profile page.
  • Great Buddy: Having a hard time catching a Pokémon? Your buddy may help you out in Pokémon encounters! It can also bring you items that can help you in your Pokémon GO journey.
  • Ultra Buddy: Your buddy will help you explore the world around you by letting you know about interesting places nearby! Your buddy will also bring you Souvenirs, which you can keep track of on the buddy profile page.
  • Best Buddy: Become Best Buddies, and your buddy will sport a Best Buddy Ribbon to show off to everyone just how close you two are! Pokémon that you're Best Buddies with can get a CP boost in combat as long as they're still assigned as your Buddy Pokémon.

How to become better friends with your buddy

Become better friends with your buddy by earning affection. Affection is measured by hearts, and you can earn hearts with your buddy by exploring with your buddy on the map, battling with your buddy, playing with and feeding your buddy, and taking snapshots of your buddy. The more affection you earn, the better your buddy's mood will be!

When you reach the highest mood (excited), you can unlock the following Perks:

• The distance it takes for your buddy to find Candy will be cut in half.
  • The number of hearts earned per action will double.
  • Trainers can earn bonus hearts!
With the upgraded buddy profile page, you'll see your buddy's progress toward finding Candy, your buddy's current mood, a chart of daily activities you can do to earn affection with your buddy, and your Buddy Level! You'll also be able to see the history of other Pokémon who have been your buddy and the adventures you've shared together. Remember: friendship is something you build together! So be sure to complete the daily activities with your buddy each day to earn more affection and become fast friends!

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I took a squirtle plush to the first pokemon movie, and the second and third. Then they stopped doing the movies in the big screen here.

I dressed up as a Mimikyu for Detective Pikachu this year, so not too much changed.

Also, a Marginal Pass on remembering that other generations than Gen 1 exist with the Togetic at the end.

Iori Fuyusaka

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This is not the first time they've leaned into this with their marketing.

It's completely antithetical to what they're doing with the games.

I realize Pokemon Go and Pokemon Sword and Shield are not made by the same people, but they did upload this ad to the Official Pokemon YouTube Channel, so you would expect some sort of consistency.

They have to know how people are going to take this, right?

EDIT: looking at the comments, I may be wrong. They're more wholesome than I ever could have expected.

Vern

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

I realize Pokemon Go and Pokemon Sword and Shield are not made by the same people, but they did upload this ad to the Official Pokemon YouTube Channel, so you would expect some sort of consistency.

EDIT: looking at the comments, I may be wrong. They're more wholesome than I ever could have expected.

No Squirtle in Sword and Shield?

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
So ... can't read that blog post ... but what happens if i swap my buddy Pokemon? I normally use that function to farm candies for Pokemon that i rarely see.

OP
OP
xendless

xendless

Teyvat Traveler
Jan 23, 2019

I honestly see it more as people who are upset with the mainline being happy with this, walking with your pokemon is a constant request, and it doing well here encourages it back towards mainline. Go is also slowly but surely building it's way to the full dex, and that isn't going away.

Kirbivore

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
To note, Squirtle along with several others are currently locked in the code of SwSh, so we would have to wait until they're put up for distribution via raid dens or other methods.

MickZan

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Great ad. It reminds me a lot of an amazing ad my favourite football club did to promote a local zoo.

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
Pokémon Go is about to hit 649 Pokémon, so the National Dex cut doesn't affect them lol.

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

pokemon go players dont give a fuck about console games lol

also not everybody is a jaded as the hardcore pokemon "fans"

Deleted member 14377

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm a very emotional big baby and things make me cry all the time. But that was super corny and cliche and that song is awful lol

RKasa

Jul 28, 2019
New Jersey
So ... can't read that blog post ... but what happens if i swap my buddy Pokemon? I normally use that function to farm candies for Pokemon that i rarely see.
Wondering the same thing. Many people, myself included, use buddy Pokemon to get more of a specific type of candy. I only swap in a favorite (one of my Absols) if I have no need for extra candies for something else, which happens pretty rarely.

I also know some players who assign rare catches (shinies, high IV Legendaries, etc.) as buddies to show them off for a little while. The new buddy features sound great, but also counterproductive for a lot of players.

Very good ad, though.

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017

Says your progress doesn't reset when you swap pokemon. So imagine you will be building up multiple buddies as one of the big benefits is they earn candy twice as fast if you level up your friendship high enough.

TheRuralJuror

Oct 25, 2017
Made me tear up. My little guy had a little pikachu like that and would sleep with it and take to school. In his closet now, dingy as ever and he's getting bigger than ever sadly.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
it was corny but then the hideous cg squirtle appeared and it became a horror
I really do not see the appeal in this manipulative and strange marketing

Last edited:

Gibson

Oct 29, 2017
My step count hasn't been working on Go for the last month. Can't hatch any eggs or get any candies. Tried updating, turning adventure sync on an off, nothing works. I give up 🤨

Rob

Oct 25, 2017
SATX
While I absolutely love this, I've been using the buddy to get more candies for specific Pokémon.

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
My step count hasn't been working on Go for the last month. Can't hatch any eggs or get any candies. Tried updating, turning adventure sync on an off, nothing works. I give up 🤨
Could be a phone level permissions thing. You have to let it track you wherever you go for the adventure sync to work.. make sure you've let it do that.

Great ad -- excited to see the new buddy features.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Finally we can all agree Squirtle best original!
tenor.gif

Scarlet Spider

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
I've had my Feraligatr since Colosseum in 2003 and has been with me through every main Pokemon game/spinoff until S/M. Would love for him to come along with me in Go.

King Kingo

Banned
Dec 3, 2019
Looking at the comments, I may be wrong. They're more wholesome than I ever could have expected.

Sword and Shield have been out for a month now, everybody's already vented their opinions and the games were a commercial success to nobody's surprise.

What benefit is there to cause discourse to a Pokemon Go advertisement when that game is unafilliated with Game Freak and their cuts?

cnorwood

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Can you all imagine when Pokemon go comes out on AR glasses? Its going to be insane, they are giving us glimpses.