• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
Eh, I disagree. Didn't like a single town in that game. Maybe the one with lots of steam? But even then, they were all too simple and lifeless, barely any buildings to get inside and they looked very fake, like set pieces. Not my cup of tea.
I really disagree, especially compared to other cities in past games, which weren't any better except Lumiose and Castelia

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
the SS towns had good art direction, but that's about it. they were straight trash otherwise. they literally had no purpose beyond gym battles

Kaitos

Tens across the board!
Oct 25, 2017
I think Arceus is gonna be fully open world — those zones seem more like they did in the DLC that was interconnected with different zones where different Pokémon appeared/weather.

Hentz

The Fallen
Mar 9, 2018
I really disagree, especially compared to other cities in past games, which weren't any better except Lumiose and Castelia
It is not fair to compare towns from a 2019 game on a "semi home console" to towns from games on Game Boy or Nintendo DS lol

They should've upped their game from the 3DS games, instead they just kept the same thing (and in some towns did even worse)

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
Too soon in the sense that people are talking about BDSP and Legends before we've even played the games and there's no sense of what the gameplay is even like. And yet we're jumping into Gen IX gameplay speculation?

I mean BDSP is going to be pretty much just DP and Legends is its own thing. Gen 9 will share more in common with SwSh than it I'm betting.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean BDSP is going to be pretty much just DP and Legends is its own thing. Gen 9 will share more in common with SwSh than it I'm betting.
I think Legends is a very strong hint at the future. Otherwise, GF would be doing the remakes while Legends would be by an external developer

Oct 26, 2017

No one knows what's going to happen from a design standpoint. There's an equal chance that they use design philosophies from PL:A or Sw/Sh, so it's hard to say definitively that one has better odds than the other (especially considering PL:A was basically a response to people complaining that region design has gotten boring in Pokemon. At the same time, there's also the odds that GF might not shake-up design if PL:A reception is poor). No one expected Sw/Sh to have a Wild area + route design from Gen VII and previous.

klauskpm

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 26, 2017
Brazil
What I want from Sword and Shield:
- Raid battles (doesn't need to have Dynamax Pokemon);
- Wild areas like the DLCs, and not the base game where they are limited and there are still several routes;
- Player customization;
- Camps, but better (be able to walk, customize your camp, or create a base);
- Overworld Pokemon;

What I don't want from Sword and Shield:
- Badly implemented internet activities;
- Framerate issues (I know it is mostly when online, but it is also the way the game is most enjoyable to me);
- Routes and cities;
- Story;

I had a really mixed experience playing SW/SH base game, but the DLC saved the game for me. It was spectacular and devilered what I was expecting from the base game. That is, everything is a "wild area". You have control of the camera in almost any place, you have quests and side-quests throughout the areas, and the whole map is even connected and has verticality. Oh yeah, and the caves were pretty good on the DLC.

Now, about Legends... It is hard to say with so little info and not experiencing the game. I was going to say that I don't believe Legends will influence Gen 9, but I also thought Let's Go wouldn't and we ended up getting overworld Pokémons. So maybe they will add traversal mechanics to Gen 9, or the whole seemless interaction with wild Pokemon mechanic (throwing a PokeBall, starting a battle, peacefully reaching it, getting hit by Pokemon).

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
Seconding that I really liked the towns in Swsh, didn't really have any issue with most of them. Felt like a steep up from Alola imo

Atom

Jul 25, 2021
hope you ready for that debate...

Time to debate!

Plenty of Pokemon games have good towns, mostly earlier games in terms of exploration and feel, but later games had good environmental art.
Gen 1: Lavender with the Pokemon Tower, Fuschia with safari zone, Celadon with the department store and the back entrances into houses.
Gen 2: Goldenrod with its whole underground and radio tower, Olivine with the Lighthouse, Violet with Sprout Tower.
Gen 3: Dewford is a cozy vibe, Fallobar town feels like a real excursion up and through the ash and is quaint. Sootopolis has the whole gimmick of being in a volcano crater and having to surf from place to place, Mossdeep with the Space Center, Pacifidlog.
Gen 4: Jubilife is a great early town, Floaroma with its cute meadows, Snowpoint with the temple and docks
Gen 5: Hiun/Castlia City -- so many skyscrapers, and the sewer system. Fukiyose/mistralton with the airport, Yamaji/lentmas with the mountains and the haunted manor, the really north one in BW2 with the water gym and beaches.
Gen 6: I remember nothing of these games.
Gen 7: All the names escape me, but I did like the environmental design and some of the flavor text in a lot of the towns, like the early starting town with the coastal road running through it, the resort with the golfers etc. But I think this is where towns started to drop a lot of the integrated dungeon aspects, or distinctive explorable landmarks like lighthouses or even stuff like the football stadium in Gen 5.
Gen 8: Really nice art design but yes, most of these towns didn't have a purspose beyond a gym. Motostoke was probably the standout, as was the ice town in terms of just buildings with unique functions and interiors, but I wouldn't call them particularly great in terms of exploration.

Deleted member 12867

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I know this will likely never happen, but I would like some super difficult and memorable way of obtaining mythical pokemon. The distribution method is possible the lamest way to get a pokemon.

MarcelRguez

Nov 7, 2018
What I'd like to see and will never happen:
  • Either only new Pokémon with a ~150 dex until postgame a la BW, or a mix of old and new with an under 400 total.
  • 2v2 battles by default.
  • Rebalance moves, abilities and Pokémon stats so more are useful in this format.
  • Route-based region, regardless of how open they are. No open-world or open areas.
  • Linear progression is fine, but add some detours and objectives that can be tackled out of order.
  • Also, improve the presentation.
  • Also, bring back dungeons and caves.
  • Also, voice-acting.

Ryu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
OP, it's Arceus, not Arecus. Been counting and there was a time when I felt like I just have to tell you lol.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
I think Legends is a very strong hint at the future. Otherwise, GF would be doing the remakes while Legends would be by an external developer

I don't see this at all, its more of a very strong hint of GF wanting a sub-series with the Legends branding. Many of the characteristics are trying to differentiate this effort from traditional mainline Pokemon more than test the waters.

I fully expect them to alternate between main Pokemon games and Legend games if this is received

No one knows what's going to happen from a design standpoint. There's an equal chance that they use design philosophies from PL:A or Sw/Sh, so it's hard to say definitively that one has better odds than the other (especially considering PL:A was basically a response to people complaining that region design has gotten boring in Pokemon. At the same time, there's also the odds that GF might not shake-up design if PL:A reception is poor). No one expected Sw/Sh to have a Wild area + route design from Gen VII and previous.

The problem is its hard to imagine GF blending these elements well, or even wanting to. This is the same company that keeps not only Pokemon locked to games "regions" but also features as well.

Legends could very well have had trainer battles even, but they made it that trainers weren't a thing yet for the sake of not having them. And with them out they can focus on a more dynamic and visceral take on Pokemon battles. Do you really see Pokemon attacking in the Gen 9 games? I don't as this is set in a time where Pokemon were feared. And if they don't, why would your character need to dodge and roll?

We are getting a more "action RPG" Pokemon game here because the multiplayer features were removed. And when Gen 9 brings them back, I can't see anything more than enhanced wild areas making use of some elements. The fact that Gen 9 is 90% sure to launch on Switch has me also thinking we are not going to see much of a jump from SwSh when people think here the next set of games are going to be a step above Legends even

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't see this at all, its more of a very strong hint of GF wanting a sub-series with the Legends branding. Many of the characteristics are trying to differentiate this effort from traditional mainline Pokemon more than test the waters.

I fully expect them to alternate between main Pokemon games and Legend games if this is received
Feels like Let's Go all over again with them wanting it to be a sub series, until it seemingly died.

Legends, for the most part, is the natural evolution of the formula. Keeping the two separate, they'll be forced to make some arbitrary cuts in order to differentiate. That won't be good for either series

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
I'm gonna guess that Gen 9 will bring back most, but possibly not all, of the Pokémon that skipped SwSh.

I'd hope for a mix of Legends and SwSh gameplay-wise. Somewhat linear towns and routes but third person perspective through them like Legends, with some wider and more open spaces to explore throughout. Traditional battle system but I'd love to see the various permutations all come back and be more common (horde battle, 2x2, 3x3, rotation, etc). Hopefully they make the new Pokémon for the theme as well as SwSh's did.

I know this will likely never happen, but I would like some super difficult and memorable way of obtaining mythical pokemon. The distribution method is possible the lamest way to get a pokemon.
Before Gen 6 you used to have some quest to do after you obtain the mystery gift. I have no idea why they stopped doing that. Talking to somebody at a Pokemart that just unceremoniously hands you this super-rare Pokemon with crazy lore behind feels so sterile and cold. Mythicals became my least favorite additions to a new generation because of that.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017

The problem is its hard to imagine GF blending these elements well, or even wanting to. This is the same company that keeps not only Pokemon locked to games "regions" but also features as well.

Legends could very well have had trainer battles even, but they made it that trainers weren't a thing yet for the sake of not having them. And with them out they can focus on a more dynamic and visceral take on Pokemon battles. Do you really see Pokemon attacking in the Gen 9 games? I don't as this is set in a time where Pokemon were feared. And if they don't, why would your character need to dodge and roll?

We are getting a more "action RPG" Pokemon game here because the multiplayer features were removed. And when Gen 9 brings them back, I can't see anything more than enhanced wild areas making use of some elements. The fact that Gen 9 is 90% sure to launch on Switch has me also thinking we are not going to see much of a jump from SwSh when people think here the next set of games are going to be a step above Legends even
Legends was introduced as "The Pokémon series enters a new era" and they keep saying it's "opening doors/breaking new ground for Pokémon"
Gen 9 in 2022 or 2023?
100% 2023

ResetGreyWolf

Oct 27, 2017
Sorry if this is a bit off-topic but I'm curious how many teams are working on Pokemon games right now? Is the team that made Sword & Shield different than the teams that are making Arceus and the Diamon & Pearl remakes?

Deleted member 12867

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Before Gen 6 you used to have some quest to do after you obtain the mystery gift. I have no idea why they stopped doing that. Talking to somebody at a Pokemart that just unceremoniously hands you this super-rare Pokemon with crazy lore behind feels so sterile and cold. Mythicals became my least favorite additions to a new generation because of that.
Yeah mythicals are lame af at the moment. I just want some tough end game in Pokemon as well. it would be nice to get a Mew because I did some really challenging super dungeon or memorable quest chain, and not because I bought a pokeball.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
probably because people didn't do them or some nonsense. the problem with mythicals is that they are still tied to physical stores. dumb shit, if you ask me. just make them downloadable quests then people would do them. and maybe we can get mythicals in VGC

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
Sorry if this is a bit off-topic but I'm curious how many teams are working on Pokemon games right now? Is the team that made Sword & Shield different than the teams that are making Arceus and the Diamon & Pearl remakes?
I'm guessing the team that made Let's Go is the one doing Legends (with crossover with people from SWSH for sure since it's a big project), while people who worked on SWSH are mainly doing gen 9. Diamond and Pearl remakes are being made by another company altogether

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
Feels like Let's Go all over again with them wanting it to be a sub series, until it seemingly died.

Legends, for the most part, is the natural evolution of the formula. Keeping the two separate, they'll be forced to make some arbitrary cuts in order to differentiate. That won't be good for either series

Literally every game they have released on Switch and Gen 8 has been kept separate. Not a single one has direct compatibility as we use to see. I'm not saying Legends isn't going to inspire some aspects of Gen 9, as it is the Wild Area inspired Legends, but I fully expect it to feel like traditional Pokemon more than anything else. And those elements need to be improved (like more dynamic routes, some vertical design instead of flat land, trainer strings, etc.) more than just "BOTWing it".

I see it like Naughty Dog's Uncharted and The Last of Us. Sometimes they borrow from each other and you think "that felt like a feature or sequence from their other series" but they are made to stand apart from each other.

Maybe the battle system will be in Gen 9 or some version of it? But I don't know how it will work with teams if it is like my understanding of how it functions.

Legends was introduced as "The Pokémon series enters a new era" and they keep saying it's "opening doors/breaking new ground for Pokémon"

I mean, a Pokemon game that acts more like a modern single player RPG is pretty much that. But how it will change the core Pokemon games that focus on trainer battles and trading is going to be a lot less than what people expect, IMO.

Chumunga64

Jun 22, 2018
keep the presentation and open world of legends arceus (seriously, battles feel way more lively than they did in sword and shield) but you can have the old battling style since it works in competitive play

Lord Azrael

Oct 25, 2017
Thankfully it looks like they are dead, and here I am dancing over their corpses.

Don't ever do anything like that again, GameFreak, regional variants are the way to go.
302Sableye-Mega.png
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
21668-m.webp

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I think people are way too confident that Gen 9's not next year, personally. If Arceus were releasing a month earlier, there'd be a lot less doubt.

I'm pretty sure that it was intended for November 2022, and if it doesn't come out then you can probably blame Covid.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
I think people are way too confident that Gen 9's not next year, personally. If Arceus were releasing a month earlier, there'd be a lot less doubt.

I'm pretty sure that it was intended for November 2022, and if it doesn't come out then you can probably blame Covid.

It also happens to be releasing in January (not something like February or March which are better for releases) , and about a month before Pokemon day where Gen 9 would be announced.

Aranjah

Oct 27, 2017
Am I crazy for thinking I remember that Game Freak (or possibly Nintendo) was claiming that Legends is the next mainline title after Sword/Shield?

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
People should remember that Legends was announced for the following year. I think early 2023 with an announcement next year in Feb is the latest we can expect if Gen 9 isn't already set for holiday 2022

Charamiwa

Oct 25, 2017
All I ask are seemless battles like in Arceus and 3 or 4 Wild Areas (of varying sizes) instead of only routes.

Basically iterates on the cool stuff from the previous couple of games. Shouldn't be too demanding.

cainhxrst

Nov 10, 2018
been asking for
-100+ brand new pokemon
- open style routes and cool optional areas/dungeons

ever since gen 6 dropped. It hasn't happened yet but I'll keep asking. Certainly this time right? haha. . .