• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Pallo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Also, I find baffling that they ditched visible and following Pokémon on the worldmap. It doesn't make any sense.

This.
It's bonkers.

They could tone down the spawns from Let's Go somewhat and remove the red/blue auras, but overall it gave the games so much more life.
I think it would benefit from the increased diversity of Pokémon as well.

Luke92

Jan 31, 2019
We all want that Breath of the Wild Pokemon game but we also know we probably won't ever get it. It really is a shame.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Why not giving choice?

It's crazy how people don't want features because they recognize the inability of a developer to introduce modern-features in modern games.

Towns seems pretty standard and way less explorable than those in YW, though, but let's see.
Choice about having Pokémon in the overworld? That's a bit much.

As for towns being standard, you're thinking of the first town not the overall cities. Everything we've seen about them makes them look far more sprawling than before.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
I will never understand the obsession with the Pokémon that follow you in the overworld. It's an aesthetic touch at best.

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
Choice about having Pokémon in the overworld? That's a bit much.

As for towns being standard, you're thinking of the first town not the overall cities. Everything we've seen about them makes them look far more sprawling than before.

That's a big much for a game which sells regularly 15-16m units...? What...? Also, you can, at least, introduce a frequency slider like the one in Bravely Default, whether you adopt random encounters or not.

As for towns, for what we have seen they still don't seem as explorable and big as those in YW.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Then everything is an aesthetic touch. Why should we have explorable towns instead of menu like in Etrian Odyssey? Why should we have animations during battles? Etc.
I do not see it comparable. A Charizard following you behind seems to me more against immersion than in favor. I can understand it with small Pokémon like Pikachu or like that but there are many cases where I find it ridiculous.

Yukinari

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Danger Zone
If it turns out gamefreak has removed Pokemon following you in the overworld I'm gonna freak. They literally have walking AND running animations for every single Pokemon in the game. There is no reason not to include if even Let's Go of all games had it. Would be a complete and utter regression

Its Game Freak status quo to use an idea once, MAYBE twice then scrap it.

Unless their plan is to only use following animations and overworld pokemon for the Lets Go branding which is even more asinine.

Black_Red

Oct 27, 2017
I like the series the way it is, it has a combat system that is perfect for me and I love the multiplayer, and everything else its like filler to me.

I hope it never changes and they just add more options for MP and better balanced teams (that its almost imposible with more than 800 pokemon).

People talk about the series not evolving and only talk about small cosmetic changes like seeing pokemon in the overworld, having a partner pokemon or changing clothes that in the end are meaningless in the experience.

It's a much better system.
I think it would make an easy game even easyer by letting you farm/train against the pokemon of your choice the whole time.
On one side it would make EV training or farming a pokemon faster, but I think it would make the campaign just too easy.

Hellraider

Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece
I will never understand the obsession with the Pokémon that follow you in the overworld. It's an aesthetic touch at best.
Having dozens of little details like that is what actually builds immersion in a video game. From having a Machamp holding a crate because its owners are moving, to being able to pet and dress your pokemon, riding your pokemon or flying with it, all these things and many more might seem useless but subtly make the world vastly more intriguing to be a part of.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Having dozens of little details like that is what actually builds immersion in a video game. From having a Machamp holding a crate because its owners are moving, to being able to pet and dress your pokemon, riding your pokemon or flying with it, all these things and many more might seem useless but subtly make the world vastly more intriguing to be a part of.
Yeah, with some Pokémon I can understand it, but having a Garchomp following you down the street seems to me against immersion.

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
WoW is what, 15 years old?

I bet they considered it but the sheer amount of work turned them off. But the end result would have paid them back handsomely.
It's honestly the perfect game for an MMO. It's the kind of game where social interaction would add a hugely appealing element and all the kinds of systems they could add in there....it would live as long as WoW, it would be as popular as WoW, it would make a shit ton of money like WoW.

But maybe they missed the boat on this one.

Zelas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think everyone that played Red or Blue had imagined what an open world RPG version of the game would be like since they were a kid. 20 years later and we're not even close still.
Yeah and there's nothing stopping them from making a separate franchise with the IP that tries to realize that dream, leaving the "meta" in tact for those who enjoy repetition. In fact they've shown they're capable of getting out of their box by making weird spin offs that cater to very small slices of the audience.

I really can't think of a more monied publisher/IP that has continued to not attempt to deliver on what has been widely seen as the ideal vision for over 20 years. Even Square is willing to try and fail answering to the FF7 remake clamor.

Kiraly

Oct 30, 2017
The worst is just how fucking static everything is. Why do we need to wait two seconds for a jingle to play after a level-up for it to repeat immediately after for the next level-up when you're leveling lower lvl Pokémon in your party? Why does everything go so fucking slow in the battle system and needs to be laid out? Why do we need to wait for a paralysed animation to play when the textbox indicates the Pokémon is paralysed? Just shit like this, archaic in any modern day game.

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
I do not see it comparable. A Charizard following you behind seems to me more against immersion than in favor. I can understand it with small Pokémon like Pikachu or like that but there are many cases where I find it ridiculous.

You wouldn't be forced to choose Charizard as a Pokémon following you.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
I want full party battles. Four pokemon on each side. Could be really deep and engaging battle system. 1on1 just feels so limited and boring.

Shirke

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
No, you're clearly not happy for me. You are angry with me. You insulted me for the crime of having a Pokemon avatar. You think because I have an issue with those who say "Pokemon fans are sheep" I am just a dumb fanboy who will eat whatever slop Pokemon makes. That i cannot criticize Pokemon. I have a shit ton of complaints about pokemon.

No, this is actually hurting me mentally. I am someone who cannot stand being despised. Am I nothing more than a dumb fanboy for just liking a game as it is? Do I need to change? I'm actually considering hurting myself because I know people are looking at me with disgust and anger.

No this isn't fair! Why am I hated for having a Pokemon avatar! Why am i despised! Why do I feel like I need to hurt myself over this! Why is it a crime for me to enjoy! Why does everyone fucking hate me! I'm sorry for not being white! I'm sorry for not being a Christian or Buddhist! Please don't hate me! Please don't turn me away! I can't take it anymore! My life is falling into pieces, I'm fucking dying and no one knows why, I'm hated for my being a "traitor" to other Asians and now I cannot even have a fucking Pokemon avatar without people looking at me in disgust! Why! Why! Why?!?! Why is everything I do nothing but deserving nothing but hate!

Hey, if you feel that you are at risk for any reason, please seek help and call any toll-free mental-health hotline and talk to any trained professional who can help you. Unfortunately I cannot simply tell you to shrug it off and ignore the hostility directed to you since it clearly affected you personally and I do not any experience in dealing with these matters but do note you can seek help anytime for any reason.

Metallia

May 31, 2018
The worst is just how fucking static everything is. Why do we need to wait two seconds for a jingle to play after a level-up for it to repeat immediately after for the next level-up when you're leveling lower lvl Pokémon in your party? Why does everything go so fucking slow in the battle system and needs to be laid out? Why do we need to wait for a paralysed animation to play when the textbox indicates the Pokémon is paralysed? Just shit like this, archaic in any modern day game.
Most animations like that can be switched off in the options by switching off battle animations. The series has had this option since it started I believe, if not then as early as Gold and Silver.

That said, Disgaea style "press button to skip animation" and "skip all animations, but press button if you want to watch a specific animation as it happens" would be appreciated I suppose.

Driggonny

Oct 26, 2017
Game Freak is practically a Pokémon factory. I wouldn't expect dramatic change between games any more than the annual Tony Hawk games back in the day

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
No this isn't fair! Why am I hated for having a Pokemon avatar! Why am i despised! Why do I feel like I need to hurt myself over this! Why is it a crime for me to enjoy! Why does everyone fucking hate me! I'm sorry for not being white! I'm sorry for not being a Christian or Buddhist! Please don't hate me! Please don't turn me away! I can't take it anymore! My life is falling into pieces, I'm fucking dying and no one knows why, I'm hated for my being a "traitor" to other Asians and now I cannot even have a fucking Pokemon avatar without people looking at me in disgust! Why! Why! Why?!?! Why is everything I do nothing but deserving nothing but hate!
Hey Xaszatom! Things like this can be hard for many of us, and it's difficult when we feel antagonized or unwelcome. Avatar shaming is against our policy, and the user who did it to you has received a ban for it and their antagonistic behaviour, and if you notice people doing this or are being overly hostile, kindly report them for the staff to review. We are so glad you're here with us and contribute to the community. I'm going to send you a PM with some extra support information, as well as info on our community peer support options too. I know this has been frustrating, but I hope you're still able to have a nice day, look for my PM and feel free to talk with me there more about this if you like.

If you do feel like you are in emotional crisis though, I would urge you to contact a crisis line. You don't have to feel like you are in danger, but speaking with a professional is always a good option in these situations.

Grapezard

Nov 16, 2017
Well the comparison to indie games is a bit farfetch'd, but

I could stomach the relatively little changes each new game brings if Game Freak wasn't allergic to features from past games (Battle Frontier replaced with personally inferior versions barring BW2, Mega evolutions being a massive pain in the ass to access in Sun and Moon or locked until the post game in Let's Go, following Pokemon gone despite being in Let's Go, Game Corner being taken out for being problematic but not giving an alternative, and a decent post-game being the luck of the draw for the newer games). But nah, that's for the inevitable full-priced third version to amend where other games would just charge you for DLC.

This is more of a personal issue, but having less new Pokemon these past few generations is a bummer too.

Man, has mainline Pokemon felt like a love-hate relationship for me.

Last edited:

Mashy

Oct 28, 2017
People that wanna see change are more often than not the ones that stand behind gen 1. The game has gone through change. And sometimes change just isn't good, like with Pokemon Let's Go.

Hellraider

Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece
Most animations like that can be switched off in the options by switching off battle animations. The series has had this option since it started I believe, if not then as early as Gold and Silver.

That said, Disgaea style "press button to skip animation" and "skip all animations, but press button if you want to watch a specific animation as it happens" would be appreciated I suppose.

There are many options between "no animations at all" and "slow ass animations". The SMT series has solved this problem years now, yet Pokemon still clings to the outdated non-options that it still has. Repeatable animations like whenever a Pokemon gains more than one levels are things that should have been solved in the first sequel of the series. Yet, as with tons of things with this franchise, here we are.

It's gonna be really painful when it turns out that none of the excellent things that a generally mediocre game like LGPE did makes it to the next mainline series. And that would barely be the first time for Gamefreak. We are already 0/2.

Deleted member 8674

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Not yet but what has been shown didn't inspire me any confidence.

Also, I find baffling that they ditched visible and following Pokémon on the worldmap. It doesn't make any sense.

Because they don't take critics or fan feedback seriously? A Pokémon main game would sell no matter how midcore or uninspired because I reached the point of playing the games out of habit and I don't think i'm alone. I think they just finish a game to move to the next one.

The game are so un-Nintendo in term of polish and innovation but the games sell and that's what matters to them in the end of the day.

I honestly think any Nintendo studio could honestly develop a better Pokémon game than GF if given the chance. Even Level 5 would do a way better job specially with the open world if they take the Ni no Kuni style.

hussien-11

Oct 27, 2017
Jordan
Something I'd realistically expect is Xenoblade Chronicles 2 level stuff. I doubt that game even got an especially notable budget given XCX barely sold a million if that, and yet it single-handedly completely overshadows the scope of any Pokemon game by a huge margin, just by having open fields and large towns.

I don't know how this is realistic to be honest XD

is there even any JRPG out there with the scope of Xenoblade Chronicles 2? even FFXV with its very big dudget, doesn't have half the amount of content.

the thing with Xenoblade is, its not really about the budget, GF and Monolith are very similar in size. Monolith are just crazily good, they are one of the best developers in this entire industry, they are even a big reason why Breath of the Wild is as great as it was.

in Iwata's asks, they explained how they have been designing 3D maps since the very first Playstation system. i bet they also work extremely hard, even by Japanese standards.
GF who only worked on handhelds don't have the same experience or capability. they also don't have Takahashi :P

increasing budget is also not as easy as a lot of people are thinking. it is true that Pokemon is the biggest cross media franchise of all time, but it is a franchise that is owned by 3 companies which all share the revenue, and not all that revenue come from the games themselves. also, the games used to sell for 40$, so it was probably risky for GF to grow as much as some people may hope.

however, Pokemon Sword and Shield looks fantastic to me.

Kirbivore

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

The funny thing was that this wasn't a thing in Gen 1, it came into effect from Gen 2 onward. I think it was them putting in a safeguard so that way when a Pokemon hits a certain level, it'll prompt you on learning a move, versus skipping it entirely.

That's why it's so clunky now.

Kcannon

Oct 30, 2017
Pokemon is in the same ballpark as CoD, Assassin's Creed, FIFA, etc.

Wanna something more? Then you'll need to wait more.

Too bad there's loas oof marketing contracts involved.

Murfield

Oct 27, 2017
Sun & Moon provided big changes to the formula (which people then break down and dismiss)

What would you call "missed potential"? The fact it's still turn-based?

Also I didn't realise you played Sword & Shield to be making such statements.

Like I have said, people were going to be pissed that the main generation 8 would be a Pokémon game

I wouldn't use Sun and Moon as examples of expanding the series. The changes in those games primarily limit player choice. It is unreasonable to compare the most linear games in the series with the idea of a big open world pokemon game.

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
I agree with the OP. I also wish for larger changes on the main series. I feel like Pokemon keeps it safe to a fault for a series as large as it is.

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
I'm curious if there is an rpg like Pokemon in regards to team building freedom? Yokai watch maybe? Haven't played much of it beyond the first game.

Nitpicker_Red

Nov 3, 2017
Can't say I disagree, even if I still kinda like what the games themselves do. I feel like especially with the Detective Pikachu movie, getting this glimpse at how massive and diverse a Pokemon world can be, and then we have these games which are all still very limited in scope. And you're right, the series is one of the biggest selling franchises ever, and yet it's been made with such a small scale for decades.

The spin off never live up to the potential either that IDontBeatGames posted. They're fun in their own ways, but I still think we have never really seen the Breath of the Wild of Pokemon for example.

Even though the MMO days feel like they're gone, Pokemon still felt like a universe just absolutely perfect to that type of game.
To note that the movie Detective Pikachu is based on the Detective Pikachu 3DS game with is a narrative-focused point-and-click spin-off that does explore more in depth the Pokémon-human interactions outside of combat.
Misleadingly timestamped gameplay extract: https://youtu.be/7soSWy0n6UU?t=1202

Last edited:

McScroggz

The Fallen
Jan 11, 2018
Those are comprehensive gameplay ideas:

I think there's an interesting philosophy attached to developing a pure turn-based games that allows players to require zero hand-eye coordination to make it available to children, the eldery and disabled people. But I cannot prove that this is why Pokémon focuses on pure turn-based systems. (it could just be to be compatible between games)

There's nothing wrong with pure turn based combat, I stil love it. Rather, I think a different approach with a greater scope would be really exciting. It's about trying something new.

Funilly, all those three are mechanics in Pokémon.
  • Leaving Pokéblocks (Gen 3) or Honey in some containers to attract certain Pokémon. But you check the trap later to see if something came.
  • Hitting trees with Headbutt to make Pokémon fall from a tree (Gen 2). Sometimes the Pokémon would start the fight asleep. Hitting rocks also sometimes triggers a fight.
  • Sun and Moon had a camera mode where you could take picture of Pokémon.
The issue I guess is the presentation: all those mechanics are only possible in dedicated spots (well, headbutt-able trees were all over the map), and don't have dedicated animation ("fade to black" or nothing) and so is not seamlessly integrated with the rest of the game and end up not being "memorable", and thus forgotten.

Ultimately the scope of what GameFreak has created in previous games can't be applied to this hypothetical open world game. For example, you have large trees that obscure what's in the leafy tops of them, so hitting the tree or throwing something into the treetops has a random chance to produce a Pokémon from a list of available Pokémon. Depending on what Pokémon are chosen it might be the only way to find them. Not only that, image of you walk up carefully enough to a metapod dangling from a tree and throw a pokeball at it, you can get a guaranteed catch (or highly increase odds). You can generally make most of these sorts of idea work in the current format - as you pointed out there have already been similar ways of interacting with the environment before - but when you remove the vary gamey feel of selecting a menu option for a Pokémon attack or a predetermined action and instead make it feel like you are actually exploring and interacting with a real world, the increase in presentation and scope make a huge difference.

Comparing to Zelda puzzles before BotW: each puzzle element was manually created and did not have any signifiance outside of said puzzle. That lead to many types of torches that using different fire logic. In BotW, they integrated everything into a "chemistry engine". One single fire system controls all the fire puzzles. However in "classic" Pokémon, there is no action component to integrate with those mechanics. As a result it generally doesn't change much to the gameplay that those mechanics happen in a sub-menu rather than directly on the overworld, due to how rigidly it plays. And a sub-menu doesn't have to be animated to convey the action.

Sure. What I'm suggesting is a marriage of the chemistry physics stuff in Breath of the Wild and Pokemon. I would scale down the amount of puzzles, but if I can give some bad examples (I'm not actually trying to develop a game):

There's a dark room with unlit torches. You bring out a Pokémon with a fire move and you select the fire move while locked on it aiming at the torch. You have a switch that needs to be depressed, so you bring out your heaviest Pokémon, and if it's not enough maybe you need more than one on the Switch. You might notice and area in the wall has a crack in it so you have a Pokémon use rock smash on it to revel a hidden path to an item. When the button is depressed some of the walls lower to reveal platforms around the room at different heights. You notice a switch that is powered by electricity but is currently off, so you use a Pokémon with an electrical move, and it turns on some water fountains at different heights as well as illuminates the correct hallway in the above hallway that you could have proceeded to earlier but it would have been dark. And if you're clever you can use a freeze attack on the water and it creates a platform to another hidden area. These are just very simplistic, vaguely connected ideas of how to use your Pokémon to help you solve puzzles focusing on elemental attacks equating to specific outcomes as well as predetermined physical attacks working in certain situations, all in real time. If you reduce attacks into categories such as: fire, electric, ice, gust of wind, break hard objects, etc. you can design a system not too dissimilar to BOTW.

That's why Roaming "visible on the map" Pokémon are interesting, since they could integrate with all those points. They make the encounter system more dynamic and more memorable, by forcing Pokémon to appear and thus be animated, even if it doesn't change anything to the actual game mechanic.
"Sweet scent" could even be used to still have quick back-to-back random encounters.

The problem is generating the animation for Pokémon falling from tree, being attracted to a trap, "idling" around, might be what's blocking GameFreak.
By animation I don't mean the 3D rig per-se, but the logic behind a basic AI that would procedurally decide how to position and act based on the size of the Pokémon, its shape (how do you even decide?). Pretty sure they would decide it's not worth the money and just "fade to black", like they did time and times again when any "special" interaction happens in the game so far. Yes, indeed even a big budget doesn't help for problems that scale badly. But I'm not sure they always do the right cost-analysis (Pokémon turning around in Pokémon-amie → fading to black...).

Since this is hypothetical I'm not factoring in whether it's more cost effective to fade to black or trim animations or whether this version of Pokémon would be more profitable. Rather, I'm simply suggesting ideas that for me and probably a lot of people would make Pokémon a new, very exciting game.

One issue that roaming Pokémon bring is changes to the dynamics of resource-based exploration in the early levels. Tampering with RPG difficulty is a hard subject to study. If you ignore the starters, you could look at how LGPE handled the difficulty curve, while acknowledging how much of an outlier that game is (151 Pokémon, Go influences, no pressure to be compatible with the previous and next entries).

I'm fairly certain there was a gen where some attacks would interact with background elements during the combat. (I think it was mostly to obtain some items.) It was limited to certain moves only and I don't think it came back. That's one problem to think of, GameFreak considers that each game should have some "exclusive" mechanics because they still want to sell them long after the next gen is released (I don't think it's a positive).

This version is less focused on managing resources and more focused on the actual exploration, like most open world games. And some areas are gated off by requiring certain Pokémon skills, like an area that can only be visited by cutting through trees, or flying to a plateau, or surfing to islands. Gym leaders can give you whatever means of unlocking HM's for Pokémon, or items that let you access some areas, or you can keep it mostly non-linear. There are plenty of ways to Gate some content away for a while and lead players down certain paths without making it completely linear. This allows you to still have an increase in difficulty.

Some interactions you mention are similar to weather which does have gameplay effect (fire is weaker during rain, thunder never misses under rain, etc.).
It's just... limited to a handful or so of weather and terrain with types, and some attack-attack interactions (defense curl + rollout, dig + earthquake...).
So again, the number of interactions being limited compared to an integrated, dynamic system. Mostly being stat boosts, not explicit, not animated. Making them less remarked despite the mechanics being there.

I think it's going in this direction in the next five years. At least in LGPE you could ride certain big Pokémon to fly over any obstacle, in the real overworld. (after beating the elite 4)
It's mostly a question of animation, since other non-gameplay modifying "rideable" Pokémon each had their own custom animation in LGPE (not all 150, just the big ones). And a matter of GameFreak allowing "game exclusive" mechanics to actually become staples of the serie...

They have an excuse there, there's no way to automatise that. (But maybe with the advent of content-creation AI... Which still has a long way to go.)

I mean, yeah there is weather based stuff, but it's nothing as complex and fun as what I described that's similar to Divinity: Original Sin. Just like in BOTW your interactions with the game work in combat and with interacting in the world. So elements react in a reasonably logical manner than is reflected in puzzle solving situations. Other status affects are applied during combat to emphasize the synergy of the elements. Like most of my suggestions it's basically taking things Pokémon already does but making it much more involved and dynamic.

Static vs dynamic world. In BotW when something goes wrong physics-wise you can take damage and die, wiggle around, teleport... I don't think Pokémon overworld would go into that direction.
If Pokémon abilities control progress, better make sure you defined them such as something they can't lose by evolving/getting rid of common attacks (similar to how HMs couldn't be removed unless you went to a specific city).

HM's aren't a combat option. So if a Pidgeotto knows Fly, Pidgoet will too. And I would try to make it so any Pokémon that can learn an HM it will make sense that in their evolved forms that could still do it. As to getting stuck, that's just a normal part of designing a game. In this scenario I'm trusting whoever is making the games to keep up with everything so you can't geg stuck.
----

Ultimately there is a dynamism and cohesiveness to exploration and combat, along with the scale of everything, that isn't possible with the current form of Pokémon. All of the ideas that exist are greatly expanded upon, or new ideas are introduced that wouldn't work in current games or would be clunky.

I wish this game could happen, but I don't think it will.