• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This is a discussion thread to talk about the new key battle mechanic of Pokemon Sword and Shield, Dynamax and Gigantamax, in-depth.

This thread is to discuss the mechanical and competitive implications of the new mechanics, discuss which Pokemon may, or you'd want, to see receive a Gigantamax Form, and talk about how Dynamax/Gigantamax may play into the plot of Sword and Shield. While I can't fully control the conversation, I'd like to see this thread maybe avoid talking about the Pokemon Home issue since we have plenty of threads discussing that and it doesn't really effect the mechanic within Sword and Shield.

Minor spoilers, a leak that first mentioned Gigantamax also mentioned three Pokemon who would receive the forms which I've mentioned here. From this point on excluding those three, let's spoiler-tag Gigantamax Pokemon that are revealed via leaks or unofficial sources. Any information on Dynamax or Gigantamax from an official source does not need to be spoiler-tagged.

6_05_dynamax_4.jpg

What is Dynamax?

Dynamax is a new mechanic introduced in Pokemon Sword and Shield. Utilizing the power of the Dynamax Band, once per battle you can Dynamax one of your Pokemon to super-size, giving it a boost in power for three turns. However, unlike Mega Evolutions and Z-Moves, Dynamaxing can only be used in certain locations---at this moment we know that this includes Gym Arenas, the underground area that "Max Raid Battles" take place in, and presumably it can also be enabled/disabled in PvP battles depending on the players' preference.

We don't quite know how big of a statistical boost the Pokemon receives when Dynamaxing, but it seems it's percentage based and effects HP---the official site seems to imply a 50% (rounded down) increase to Grookey's HP from 41 to 61. Presumably the other stats may receive a similar percentage boost.

6_05_dynamax_10.jpg

Max Moves

Dynamax Pokemon have access to Max Moves. It appears that there are eighteen Max Moves, one for each Type---damaging moves of that Type are transformed into the corresponding Max Moves. The damage dealt appears to be based on the base power of the original moves---so a Max Overgrowth Solar Beam would be stronger than a Max Overgrowth Razor Leaf---and each of the Max Moves also have an additional effect. It also appears the PP of the Max Move is equal to that of the base move. So far we know:

* Max Strike (Normal): Lowers opponent's Speed
* Max Overgrowth (Grass): Activates Grassy Terrain
* Max Flare (Fire): Activates Sunlight
* Max Geyser (Water): Activates Rain
* Max Airstream (Flying): Boosts user's Speed
* Max Knuckle (Fighting): Unknown.
* Max Rockfall (Rock): Activates Sandstorm
* Max Starfall (Fairy): Activates Misty Terrain
* Max Darkness (Dark): Lowers the opponent's Special Defense
* Max Lightning (Electric): Activates Electric Terrain
* Max Steelspike (Steel): Boost user's Defense

It also appears that currently all status moves regardless of Type become Max Guard, which functions as Protect.

Which Pokemon can Dynamax?

So far it appears that ANY Pokemon can Dynamax, regardless of evolutionary level. The only prerequisite seems to be based on simply being in a Dynamax-allowed location, and having the Dynamax Band, which it seems will be granted to the player in-game after around two hours of progress according to the official site. It remains to be seen how certain gimmicky Pokemon will interact with Dynamaxing, such as Ditto or other Pokemon capable of changing form mid-battle based on different circumstances.

What is the Dynamax Level?

An unknown stat seen on the Status Screen, "Dynamax Level", which appears to be ten transparent bars that will apparently fill up through a yet unknown means.

7_8_gigantamax_4.jpg

What is Gigantamax?

While every Pokemon can Dynamax, some species of Pokemon can go further beyond---Gigantamax! This grants them a new, unique appearance alongside a power boost---though we don't know if the power boost is more than a regular Dynamax Pokemon---and access to a unique G-Max Move. It seems that they retain the same Ability unlike Mega Pokemon.

Which Pokemon have Gigantamax Forms?

So far we have confirmation that Drednaw, Corviknight, and Alcremie have Gigantamax Forms.

Furthermore, a reliable leak that first mentioned the Gigantamax mechanic also mentioned that Pikachu, Meowth, and Lapras would be getting Gigantamax Forms. This suggests that Gigantamax might not be limited to fully-evolved Pokemon, though as Pikachu and Meowth are popular mascot Pokemon they may be the exception to the norm. It's worth noting the leak did not mention the Generation VIII Gigantamax Pokemon, so I assume that at this point any Generation of Pokemon could possibly receive a Gigantamax Form. Does this include Pokemon that previously Mega Evolved? Considering there's a lot of evidence pointing to Leon using a Gigantamax Charizard, possibly, though once more as a mascot Pokemon Charizard may break the normal rules.

How do you Gigantamax?

The official site implies that not every individual of a Pokemon species can Gigantamax, with only "special" Drednaw for example being able to go beyond the normal Dynamax. So far it seems you'll have to catch a Gigantamax Pokemon through special Max Raids, though perhaps it may be possible to eventually train a Pokemon to be capable of Gigantamaxing. This may be one of the functions of the Dynamax Level bar.

It also appears that there's a secondary band---gold---that can be seen on the protagonist's arm on official art above the Dynamax Band, perhaps implying an addition item may be needed first in the story before Gigantamax becomes accessible.

7_8_gdrednaw_2.jpg

G-Max Moves

Gigantamax Pokemon have unique G-Max Moves. We don't know how these work exactly, but every Gigantamax Pokemon appears to have a unique one that corresponds to a move Type. We don't know which moves qualify for the G-Max Move---can you use a status move for instance?---or how damage is calculated. We also don't know if G-Max Moves can be used over-and-over like regular Max Moves, or if they're limited to one use. Do they override the corresponding Max Move? So far we know three...

* Drednaw's G-Max Stonesurge (Water): Damage plus sets up Stealth Rock
* Corviknight's G-Max Wind Rage (Flying): Damage plus removes terrains, entry hazards, barriers, and other field objects
* Alcremie's G-Max Finale (Fairy): Damage plus heals every Pokemon on the user's field

What is the lore behind Dynamax and Gigantamax?

So far we don't quite know why or how Dynamax and Gigantamax is limited to Galar, but it appears that Professor Magnolia and her granddaughter Sonia are studying the phenomenon while Chairman Rose seems to have somehow "channeled" the power of Dynamax to use in the Pokemon Gyms.

One thing that we can probably guess is the mysterious "giant Pokemon" seen decorated on a hillside near that player's town is probably an ancient drawing of the Dynamax phenomenon, and the idea of Dynamax only being possible in certain areas may connect to the pseudo-scientific idea of "ley lines", that areas of major importance across the world are purposefully aligned in a sort of "spiritual/energy" sense. This idea notably was discussed most prominently in regards to Britain, so the idea sneaking its way into Galar is a logical assumption.

Last edited:

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
My only wish is that the new G-Max forms won't be abandoned after Gen 8 or will at least get repurposed into proper evolutions for the Pokemon that have them.

Like, did not think ahead to realize how badly this feature could screw over all of the Pokemon involved?

Neil98

May 2, 2018
Madrid, Spain
Pokemon I want to G-Max: Dunsparce, Ferraligatr, Typhlosion, Bayleaf, Mew, Slowking, Froslass, Zororark, Lapras, Arbok, Nidoking, Nidoqueen.
Also, I would want all Megas and Z-Moves to return in the next game. Ban them from competitive if you have to, and give us a Battle Frontier and a PWT (the one from B2W2, with all main trainers from previous games). That would be one of the ultimate Pokemon experiences.

gardfish

Oct 25, 2017
So, the starters' final evolutions: probably getting Gigantamax forms, right? Much like how Gen 7's starters all got exclusive Z-Moves, I think it makes sense that they'll want to promote the regional gimmick with them. I'd say Zacian and Zamazenta are likely too, but then again Solgaleo/Lunala didn't get exclusive Z-Moves until the Ultra versions so who knows.

thatjesushair

Mar 21, 2019
I was under the assumption that Gigantamax would be available if you max out that Dynamax meter that we've seen. This is all speculative, but helps explain why we saw a normal Alcremie and the Giga-Alcremie.

TimeFire

Avenger
Nov 26, 2017
Brazil
I was under the assumption that Gigantamax would be available if you max out that Dynamax meter that we've seen. This is all speculative, but helps explain why we saw a normal Alcremie and the Giga-Alcremie.

Not all Pokémon from a given species can Gigantomax, only specific ones captured at raid battles. So if you capture a regular Drednaw and want it to Gigantomax, you have to release it/box it and capture a new one via raid.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
I'm guessing the Max moves will have either the same or a tiny bit more power as the original moves with the secondary effects being the key thing and then the G-Max moves will have exclusive secondary effects.

The stat boost for Dynamax seems to just be a 1.5x hp boost based on what people who have played the demo have said with the site hinting that the ones you fight in Raids will have other stuff boosted to make them harder.

Only Pokemon captured from a raid boss can Gigantamax.

thatjesushair

Mar 21, 2019
Not all Pokémon from a given species can Gigantomax, only specific ones captured at raid battles. So if you capture a regular Drednaw and want it to Gigantomax, you have to release it/box it and capture a new one via raid.
Only Pokemon captured from a raid boss can Gigantamax.

Oooooh, interesting. Missed that tidbit. Cool that it makes Raids more important, definitely looking forward to that mode the most.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Given every example of dynamax we've seen has raised HP by exactly 50% (when rounded at least in the case of odd values) and the calculated numbers for what base stat changes would need to be happening for the health we get to happen, I think it's far more likely dynamaxing is a percentage boost to stats rather than a base stat change

Also, HP changes during battle is actually not new due to Zygarde complete being a thing

TimeFire

Avenger
Nov 26, 2017
Brazil
Dyna Moves having secondary effects are really interesting. I completely missed it from the original announcement. Makes it more tactical than I was giving it credit for.

OP
OP
Birdie

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So, the starters' final evolutions: probably getting Gigantamax forms, right? Much like how Gen 7's starters all got exclusive Z-Moves, I think it makes sense that they'll want to promote the regional gimmick with them. I'd say Zacian and Zamazenta are likely too, but then again Solgaleo/Lunala didn't get exclusive Z-Moves until the Ultra versions so who knows.

Chances of a Gigantamax-enabled Sinnoh Starter given out as an early download bonus like Torchic + Blazikenite with XY and then the other two getting Gigantamax forms in DP Remakes?

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
we remove megas for dynas and now gynas.................great.........wouldn't doubt if mega forms get used for gynas

Wonderrade

The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't like dynamax upon its reveal, it felt too gimmicky, however with time I have found its implementation to (so far) seem pretty good and engaging.

Gigantomax however seems to take everything gimmicky about dynamax and take it up a notch, its a more narrow mechanic that will receive questionable support in the future (based of mechanics in previous gens) and screams we made this for the anime. It also feels like they were struggling to come up with incentives for raid battles and decided to tack on the whole, "it has to be from a raid battle thing".

OP
OP
Birdie

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Given every example of dynamax we've seen has raised HP by exactly 50% (when rounded at least in the case of odd values) and the calculated numbers for what base stat changes would need to be happening for the health we get to happen, I think it's far more likely dynamaxing is a percentage boost to stats rather than a base stat change

Also, HP changes during battle is actually not new due to Zygarde complete being a thing

Oh, forgot about that.

Anyway fixed that part with your info in the OP. Thanks!

OP
OP
Birdie

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
We don't know the Max Moves for Psychic, Bug, Dragon, Ground, Ice, Ghost, Poison, or what Fighting does, anyone wanna guess?

I could see Fighting working like Brick Break.

Ice will probably be Hail, and Psychic Psychic Terrain based on the other weathers and Terrains being represented.

Samaritan

Oct 25, 2017
Tacoma, Washington
I truly hope they integrate Mega forms into G-Max in this game. I'm so sick of one-off, gimmicky new forms that get abandoned in a generation, especially when it's for Pokemon who would've otherwise just been given a new evolution.

Jodez99

Jan 1, 2018
I want a Gorochu gigantamax for Raichu. Let Pikachu have his own one sure, but this is a great opportunity to bring the third evolution for Pikachu concept back

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't like dynamax upon its reveal, it felt too gimmicky, however with time I have found its implementation to (so far) seem pretty good and engaging.

Gigantomax however seems to take everything gimmicky about dynamax and take it up a notch, its a more narrow mechanic that will receive questionable support in the future (based of mechanics in previous gens) and screams we made this for the anime. It also feels like they were struggling to come up with incentives for raid battles and decided to tack on the whole, "it has to be from a raid battle thing".
The incentive to do raids is that certain Pokemon and now forms are locked behind it. There wouldn't be a point to do multiple raids if you got nothing for it.

We don't know the Max Moves for Psychic, Bug, Dragon, Ground, Ice, Ghost, Poison, or what Fighting does, anyone wanna guess?

I could see Fighting working like Brick Break.

Ice will probably be Hail, and Psychic Psychic Terrain based on the other weathers and Terrains being represented.
Bug will probably lower speed and I'm guessing Ghost will work have either Curse or Destiny Bond effect.

Nov 14, 2017
G-Max using mega evolutions' models would be a nice way to keep them around. Dynamax is already superior to z-moves since you have 3 turns to work with.

Nov 14, 2017
One thing I hope Gamefreak does going forward is standardize the "transform/super move" gimmick to always have certain factors. Dynamaxing probably won't be in Gen 9, but it'd be nice if going forward, you would always expect it to work as such:

1. Every Pokemon can use it
2. Some Pokemon get unique properties (type change, model change) that are carried over from a previous gen's mechanic
3. It lasts 3 turns
4. Its moveset changes to Max variants

That way you never have to worry about losing cool designs like some of the Megas.

Last edited:

Raonak

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Not really a fan of these one-off mechanics. But dynamax seems so basic that it couldn't have cost them much dev time.
And, It's good to know that every pokemon can dynamax (?)
the only downside is that they look so underwhelming. basically giant pokmeon with a pink tint.

IMO, a better way to implement it would've been to flip the pokemon's colour scheme when it dynamaxes.
Either invert it or turn it into a shiny.

I don't get why G-Max forms aren't just extra evolutions. seems like an odd decision.
It would make too much sense for Megas to be re-integrated as g-max forms.....

but on the other hand, I would love to see the salt if Charizard gets yet another form as a Gigantamax XD

Leo

Oct 27, 2017
Not really a fan of these one-off mechanics. But dynamax seems so basic that it couldn't have cost them much dev time.
And, It's good to know that every pokemon can dynamax (?)
the only downside is that they look so underwhelming. basically giant pokmeon with a pink tint.

IMO, a better way to implement it would've been to flip the pokemon's colour scheme when it dynamaxes.
Either invert it or turn it into a shiny.

I don't get why G-Max forms aren't just extra evolutions. seems like an odd decision.
It would make too much sense for Megas to be re-integrated as g-max forms.....

but on the other hand, I would love to see the salt if Charizard gets yet another form as a Gigantamax XD

I think it's cause they can just get rid of the Gigantamax forms in futures games, while regular evolutions would have to carry over and raise the Pokemon count.

Which makes me think they're still gonna keep the number of new Pokemon as low as possible even if they're cutting them anyway.

Joe

Oct 25, 2017
I truly hope they integrate Mega forms into G-Max in this game. I'm so sick of one-off, gimmicky new forms that get abandoned in a generation, especially when it's for Pokemon who would've otherwise just been given a new evolution.

Yeah, I'd love that. If, in addition to all the new G-Max dudes, all the old Mega-capable pokemon just turned into giant mega forms when they were G-Maxed. One, it gives us a lot more G-Max options, and two, it at least does a little more to integrate these ideas that would otherwise seem like annoyingly temporary gimmicks.

battleborn27

Banned
Oct 6, 2018
User Banned (3 Days): Off-Topic Trolling; Accumulated Infractions
A paid subscription to transfer your Pokemon that are unable to be transfered? A concept!

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
The story will involve the Chairman using Dynamax to fuel a super-kaiju to bring down civilization because humans are pollution incarnate and must be purged
you know this is probably not far off. quote me on this

What does that have to with Dynamaxing or Gigantamaxing?

Same user who randomly brought up sales in the BW2 thread. Or when they proclaimed "more than half of all Pokemon are now gone" in any Sword and Shield thread. I assume its for attention.

Last edited:

GiantBreadbug

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
One thing I hope Gamefreak does going forward is standardize the "transform/super move" gimmick to always have certain factors. Dynamaxing probably won't be in Gen 9, but it'd be nice if going forward, you would always expect it to work as such:

1. Every Pokemon can use it
2. Some Pokemon get unique properties (type change, model change) that are carried over from a previous gen's mechanic
3. It lasts 3 turns
4. Its moveset changes to Max variants

That way you never have to worry about losing cool designs like some of the Megas.

the way I know this won't happen is because it's a good idea