• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 426

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know how to make sense of the reviews or people who think it's the best game yet. I respect that people like it. I don't think anyone is wrong for liking it. I understand that games change over time. I do not think Pokémon should be just like the Game Boy games or anything. There were a lot of functions and features in those games that sucked too.

But modern Pokémon games abandoned so many design conventions and ideas that defined Pokémon for me. This is not where I thought Pokémon would be in 2020. These things are gone and so blatantly and obviously missing for people like me that playing Sword & Shield is just sad. It is genuinely depressing.

I was so saddened by it in December that I started writing a whole thread that compared each town in Sword & Shield with a town in Gen I and II to illustrate how much of the quest, character, and world design has been dissolved. But I made myself to sad writing it and am so tired of Pokémon discourse that I deleted it.

I know they're just video games for kids. This is all very dramatic. But Pokémon was my first true passion and has always been part of my life. It's not a series I want to give up on. But it's also not the series I grew up with anymore.
I'd really be interested in reading this thread, if you ever did do it you could do it as a positive celebration of Gen 2 rather than a negative tear down of Sw/Sh. I know it'd be impossible to ignore those shortcomings if you were doing a comparison, but making it a positive thread might make it enjoyable to write. And it's certainly be awesome to read.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
You really wanna sacrifice how good trainer customization is for 2D sprites????

I love trainer customization too but all things considered, it's not as if they couldn't include it in a 2D game either, just look at the likes of Stardew

I'd prefer they stick to models though, I'd even be fine with them cutting the Pokédex even more if it meant making the Pokémon more lifelike

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
yall fooling yourselves if you think moving back to 2D will fix any of these problems

you'll just get the same problems in 2D

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
You really wanna sacrifice how good trainer customization is for 2D sprites????
omg trainer customization would be so far down the list of things i would miss if we could go back to charming 2D sprites. how anyone could prefer the ass-ugly 3D visuals of the 3DS games over the sprites beforehand is beyond me.

Banamy

Oct 27, 2017
I said this when this years ago. Masuda isn't interested in a traditional rpg anymore. I was called out on a podcast one time when I said it was good that Masuda wasn't directing games anymore.

Scarlet Spider

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
I wonder if we are getting Diamond&Pearl Remake announced here, if they are going continue using the Sun&Moon+Ultra Sun&Ultra Moon+Sword&Shield engine? I really hope they use a new engine T_T
I believe they use the engine based on Let's Go. Which doesn't really seem any different from Sun/Moon outside of more expressive trainers. They still have that weird ass scaling they implement in battles. Even on the Switch it's as if certain Pokemon were still confined to a 3DS screen. Wailord, Eternatus, etc. Giant Pokemon smaller than a trainer outside of cutscenes and Dynamax.

I said this when this years ago. Masuda isn't interested in a traditional rpg anymore. I was called out on a podcast one time when I said it was good that Masuda wasn't directing games anymore.
Masuda's direction lives on in Ohmori sadly.

b3llydrum

Feb 21, 2018
Pretty shitty of you to not respond to any of Finale Fireworker's pretty detailed post about what is happening to the games and dismiss it as "lazy dev rhetoric" without even bothering to try and argue against any of the points

It's really no wonder the games sell as well as they do when they have so many people who just cover their ears and yell "LALALA" even at legitimate criticism.

lazy apologist rhetoric.

Deleted member 426

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Gamefreak has changed its philosophy for designing Pokemon games. It's not because of laziness or a lack of skill. They just no longer wish to follow the pre-Gen 6 style of developing games.
This is pretty much what FF said. For better or worse, the aspects of the games that are being criticised are very clearly design choices. Although I'd say it's impossible to dismiss the tight turn around times for Pokemon games as a factor in some of these decisions.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
Gamefreak has changed its philosophy for designing Pokemon games. It's not because of laziness or a lack of skill. They just no longer wish to follow the pre-Gen 6 style of developing games.
I'd feel much better if I knew they were just lazy or incompetent rather than they chose to make the games bad on purpose.

That's what makes the Masuda quotes about phones so worrying, because it sounds like you're right.

Keyouta

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Morimoto, pls save us. Masuda and Ohmori have gone mad with power and they're ruining Pokemon

d33.png
Shit like this is so ridiculous lol, it's like "so... You don't want me to dedicate a lot of time into Pokemon???"

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't bother making the "lazy dev" comment. I just straight up say they're bad devs

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder how the games would look like if Tajiri was still directing them. He was responsible for the GOAT games Gold/Silver.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
I'd really be interested in reading this thread, if you ever did do it you could do it as a positive celebration of Gen 2 rather than a negative tear down of Sw/Sh. I know it'd be impossible to ignore those shortcomings if you were doing a comparison, but making it a positive thread might make it enjoyable to write. And it's certainly be awesome to read.

My framing was that the battle, training, and breeding mechanics are stronger than ever but the character, map, and quest designs are weaker than ever. The goal was just to illustrate how dramatically those aspects of the games have simplified. I wanted to examine the shifting priorities over the last few years and just discuss what the consequences of those shifts have been.

It was a pretty downer thread (matching my mood at the time) though so that's why I didn't bother posting. Quite frankly our community has enough takes on Pokémon. I'm emotionally indulgent plenty enough without needing to make my own massive thread for it.

Maybe in another few months when people are more in the mindset to look forward to the future rather than litigate the present. I think there's still too much tension over the game people are actively playing.

Farrac

Nov 3, 2017
Alcalá de Henares, Spain
I kinda doubt they will if they go for a Let's Go styled remake. much to my surprised all the dungeon layouts were the same, even Silph Co. at first I thought that was a sign they rediscovered something, but nope

The thing is: that's not true. I have to agree I was actually surprised they kept the level of non-linearity the originals had, but they did gut the dungeon design. This is Cerulean Cave in the original:

350px-Unknown_Dungeon_2F_Y.png

This is Cerulean Cave in Let's Go (part of it, but you get the picture)
43-2f.jpg

They straight up removed the maze.

Vylder

Oct 25, 2017
I just hope they don't release DLC for Sword/Shield. While I'd loved to have a Pokemon game seen as a GAAS, Sword/Shield is just so bad that they shouldn't bother adding anything to it. The wild area is just so bad, the game is filled with exploits, etc.

Firestorm

Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver, BC
As a programmer myself, I do agree that technology is always evolving and seeing things objectively is only logical that the support/compatibility had to stop eventually. However I also understand where is people coming from when they complain about it, because it's not a request they came up with out of nowhere. They themselves got us accustomed for years to the idea that Pokémon would be indefinitely transferable onto the newest generation, including the basic fact that every existing Pokémon would always be present on any given game. The latter is not true anymore, and the former is each time closer to getting an expiration date.

I think it's just a matter of people having to accept this fact if they want to keep going on with the franchise, because there's no other option. But what I'm trying to say is that it's also understandable that this process of accepting the new reality of the franchise, accepting the future that is ahead of us, players, it really can be difficult for some people, because it's not going to be what many could've imagined a few years ago, so it's normal that there's gonna be complains and worries about whether we'll have to keep paying for the two services (Bank and Home) and for how long that's gonna last, or what would be the benefit of having the Pokémon just stored in Home, etc, or even what will be the future of the mainline games, because over the years we were taught to expect something from the Pokémon franchise, and now they're telling us things are gonna be different from now on, so it's not that easy.

But I'm hopeful that if people really love Pokémon, they'll move on someday, they'll adapt to the changes, and hopefully the upcoming generations are received with much more enthusiasm than this one.
Nah I totally agree this is an emotional response and understandable emotional response, but the degree to which people are attacking others over it is gross. I'd also have hoped people went through the stages a bit further for something like this a lot faster. I think communication of it was poor and Game Freak miscalculated the emotional attachment because to them, like to a lot of us, this was an inevitability.

The people I know were either confused as to how they hadn't already started doing this two generations ago or don't play every single Pokémon game that ever comes out so the overwhelmingly negative opinion is very much an internet bubble thing to me.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The thing is: that's not true. I have to agree I was actually surprised they kept the level of non-linearity the originals had, but they did gut the dungeon design. This is Cerulean Cave in the original:

350px-Unknown_Dungeon_2F_Y.png

This is Cerulean Cave in Let's Go (part of it, but you get the picture)
43-2f.jpg

They straight up removed the maze.
I'll admit I never did Cerulean Cave. in the original or the remake. I had my fill by the time I beat the E4. but Silph Co was bad design then and bad design now, so just keeping it was a surprise to me

Moist_Owlet

Banned
Dec 26, 2017
I'm fine with not every pokemon being in here. It's a lot of work to program and do animations for hundreds of mon.

What isnt ok is the awful story, zero challenge, bad framerate when connected online, bad overworld routes, and poor post game. There is plenty wrong here other than the dex issues.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
Morimoto, pls save us. Masuda and Ohmori have gone mad with power and they're ruining Pokemon

d33.png
"Lazy dev" is a bad argument, but I don't like the attitude that Game Freak's shit don't stink, exactly because of comments like this.

It really bums me out that I'm not buying the latest entries in a series I really love. But I just can't build enough interest in SwSh. It's such a shame, the new Pokemon designs even look interesting.

Deleted member 426

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I just hope they don't release DLC for Sword/Shield. While I'd loved to have a Pokemon game seen as a GAAS, Sword/Shield is just so bad that they shouldn't bother adding anything to it. The wild area is just so bad, the game is filled with exploits, etc.
I'd love it if it meant sacrificing the third game model. For me the third game model means not buying the game when it first comes out. And that sucks.

Pallo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
The entire quest design for the series has gone down the drain. They don't make the games the same way at all anymore.

If you compare the world and quest design from Gen I and II to Sword & Shield it's so depressing. Pokémon games used to have a location-based quest design. You often had to navigate a maze or dungeon to get from one location to another. Each new location had specific characters to meet and objectives to complete before you proceeded. Cities had specific plots and mysteries to solve and there were optional hidden areas throughout the world with rare Pokémon to find.

All of that stuff is just gone. In Sword & Shield there is nothing to do except beat a gym leader. You get to the town, beat the gym leader, then proceed down the path to the next gym. Nothing illustrates this more to me than Nessa standing outside the lighthouse. When you arrive in Hulbury, Nessa is not at the gym. She's at a lighthouse to the southeast. This is the same as Jasmine in Olivine City.

In Johto, before you can battle Jasmine and get the badge, you go inside a lighthouse and meet her at the top. There you discover that the Ampharos that keeps the lighthouse lit is sick. Jasmine considers this a more pressing priority than battling you. She asks you to travel across the sea to Cianwood City to pick up a special medicine at the pharmacy there. You voyage across the ocean to this seaside town where you can trade for a rare Pokémon, discover another gym, and hear locals gossip about the legendary Pokémon Lugia. Then you travel back to Jasmine, deliver the medication, and she will finally battle you.

In Hulbury, Jasmine is standing outside the lighthouse - which is inaccessible. She hands you a trainer card and walks back to her gym. You fight her and leave through "Galar Mine No. 2".

I find this sort of thing devastating, personally. The sense of adventure is totally gone. You're not on a quest, you're on a guided tour. To even complete the Jasmine questline you need to have obtained the ability to Surf in Ecruteak City by clearing the Eevee House. Sword & Shield doesn't have anyone to meet or anyone to talk in any town that isn't a gym leader. There is zero incentive to explore other than the occasional in game trade or battle item.

I don't post often, but I read this and just had to say that you've really hit the nail on the head. Such a great post.
I miss old school quest and world design in Pokémon so much.

Farrac

Nov 3, 2017
Alcalá de Henares, Spain
I'll admit I never did Cerulean Cave. in the original or the remake. I had my fill by the time I beat the E4. but Silph Co was bad design then and bad design now, so just keeping it was a surprise to me
I recall that in Silph Co you get to a point where they give you a key that allows you to open every door and essentially skip to the end if you so please. I don't think that was in the original? At least I don't have any memory of it, maybe someone can clarify it for me. I don't have a particular problem with that one, in any case. Absolutely destroying the level design of the optional post-game dungeon in the game, though? That hurt a lot. I remember being confused because I couldn't find the maze just to realize that... there was no maze. The weird big hall with lots of stairs and items spread around was supposed to be the maze.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You know what? No. I prefer the linearity of Sword/Shield than the garbage dungeon design of gen 1/2. Shitty dungeon design is not interesting to me and I'd rather zoom past a level than get stuck doing repetitive things. The fact that we're pretending that the Strength puzzles, Flash HMs, or Ice sliding puzzles are somehow good is idiotic.

Keyouta

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
You know what? No. I prefer the linearity of Sword/Shield than the garbage dungeon design of gen 1/2. Shitty dungeon design is not interesting to me and I'd rather zoom past a level than get stuck doing repetitive things. The fact that we're pretending that the Strength puzzles, Flash HMs, or Ice sliding puzzles are somehow good is idiotic.
I mean they could work on continuing improving dungeon design rather than throw it out the window. The dungeon design of the old games isn't so much shitty as it is simple and 20 or more years old now.

You don't need HMs to have good level design, Gen 5 seemed to manage just fine with HM usage being almost completely non-compulsory

Finale Fireworker

Oct 25, 2017
United States

My thing is that I prefer things be improved upon than removed. There's lots of things in Pokémon that I thought would be improved and iterated upon and instead they have been left out. This is especially the case over the course of the 3D games, culminating in Sword & Shield.

I liked the dungeons and mazes and towers in the Game Boy games but I'd never want modern games to have those sort of dungeons. Those are a relic of a black and white portable device. But 20 years later instead of having innovative dungeon designs that explore different types of puzzles, atmospheres, and story beats, we have literally nothing. I don't prefer that at all. It's a very "where's the beef?" sort of feeling. It's an empty sandwich.

Edit: Obviously if you're only in it for the battle simulation then none of this would matter to you anyway.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
North Carolina
Or, you know, people could just like dungeons and puzzles without pretending to feel that way. Like, at most, aside from rock tunnel without flash I'm struggling to think of a dungeon throughout gens 1 or 2, let alone the whole series, that are straight up annoying or needlessly repetitive to go through from a design perspective (not including random encounters). The way flash works in gen 3 is pretty ass, but the dungeons that require it aren't overly/needlessly complex. In gens 3 through 5, it feels like the critical path is always pretty apparent but there was still plenty to seek out. Now, it just feels like there isn't anything beyond points A and B besides some tiny branches that lead off to an item or something. Despite what it did to Sky Pillar, ORAS at least has Sea Mauville as a cool area to explore, and not all of the dungeons were completely ruined. That just feels completely absent in X/Y and the gen 7/8 games, and it kinda sucks.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My thing is that I prefer things be improved upon than removed. There's lots of things in Pokémon that I thought would be improved and iterated upon and instead they have been left out. This is especially the case over the course of the 3D games, culminating in Sword & Shield.

I liked the dungeons and mazes and towers in the Game Boy games but I'd never want modern games to have those sort of dungeons. Those are a relic of a black and white portable device. But 20 years later instead of having innovative dungeon designs that explore different types of puzzles, atmospheres, and story beats, we have literally nothing. I don't prefer that at all. It's a very "where's the beef?" sort of feeling. It's an empty sandwich.

Edit: Obviously if you're only in it for the battle simulation then none of this would matter to you anyway.

I disagree with the lack of atmosphere in any of the modern gens though. I also greatly prefer the story beats of the 3D generations over the overlauded junk that was V's story. So yeah, I disagree that there's nothing there.

Farrac

Nov 3, 2017
Alcalá de Henares, Spain
Thanks for telling me!
But I'm not pretending when I say I love ice sliding puzzles. I got stuck in Gold and Silver as a child there and had to get my friend to help me. I am fond of that memory. I also think Strength puzzles helped me develop spatial awareness. I made mental notes of different shapes that I could use to solve puzzles beyond the game, such as "the Mickey shape", as I called it. Not to mention how my friends and I would round up during the break trying to solve the Regi connundrum. That's not to say the puzzles were great or perfect, but they were for sure something that needed to be improved upon, instead of eliminated altogether.

Now I'm older, wiser (I hope!) and have hundreds of games beaten under my belt, so I cannot pretend to speak about how my former self would think about SwSh's level design, but I'm not going to lie: I don't think there's anything in Galar that would strike my fancy. Like, I am legitimately trying to think of anything but the closest I can think of is the openness of the wild area. But that's no dungeon or puzzle, that's an entire thing altogether.

Also, to cover my bases, I don't think weird obscure gimmicky evolution methods are equivalent to the Regi puzzle. There's a big difference between having a bunch of legendaries hidden behind a convoluted mistery that is hinted at in the game and having a Pokémon I want to evolve but no idea how to do it. There should be hints at this point at the very least. Like, Sword and Shield doesn't even keep the QoL they added to the Pokedex in Sun and Moon where you could see whether your Pokémon would evolve or not and I don't get why.

Finale Fireworker

Oct 25, 2017
United States
I disagree with the lack of atmosphere in any of the modern gens though. I also greatly prefer the story beats of the 3D generations over the overlauded junk that was V's story. So yeah, I disagree that there's nothing there.

I didn't say any of that that though. I'm specifically talking about dungeons:
innovative dungeon designs that explore different types of puzzles, atmospheres, and story beats

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
SwSh was my first Pokémon game, I enjoyed it immensely based on the basic gameplay loop alone, bolstered with the bare minimum advancements like roaming pokemon and wild area (as absolutely threadbare as that is), but I don't think I have any interest in playing more of the same.

Every criticism levied at the game is valid, every single one It feels like a Pokémon game on the same console as games like Dragon Quest XI and even Xenoblade 2 could be so much more, in terms of scope and content.

I sincerely hope that they take a year or more off and deliver a more ambitious game in the series, a true leap. If not, at least something that fans feel is on par with whatever Pokémon game is considered the best.

Now consider the fact that this same basic gameplay loop has stayed the same since the 90's, and also the fact that the last big swathe of core, permanent changes to the franchise were in Gold and Silver, which came out in 1999/2000 - it's not wonder people are becoming fatigued.

That's where I'm at right now. I enjoyed Shield, but the formula is starting to wear so thin and it really doesn't feel like it's changed much from earlier games. It wouldn't be as much of a problem if Sword and Shield didn't feel so rushed and light on content, which only exacerbates that issue. Regardless, the games will still sell and Game Freak have no real impetous to sit down

Long running, beloved franchises re-invent and evolve themselves for the better all the time, while still staying true to their roots and core DNA. Pokemon can do the same while still being a Pokemon game. Hell, I'd be happy if they killed the hyper linearity they seem to love these days, made the world bigger scale and made it more challenging but even that seems too much to ask.

The entire quest design for the series has gone down the drain. They don't make the games the same way at all anymore.

If you compare the world and quest design from Gen I and II to Sword & Shield it's so depressing. Pokémon games used to have a location-based quest design. You often had to navigate a maze or dungeon to get from one location to another. Each new location had specific characters to meet and objectives to complete before you proceeded. Cities had specific plots and mysteries to solve and there were optional hidden areas throughout the world with rare Pokémon to find.

All of that stuff is just gone. In Sword & Shield there is nothing to do except beat a gym leader. You get to the town, beat the gym leader, then proceed down the path to the next gym. Nothing illustrates this more to me than Nessa standing outside the lighthouse. When you arrive in Hulbury, Nessa is not at the gym. She's at a lighthouse to the southeast. This is the same as Jasmine in Olivine City.

In Johto, before you can battle Jasmine and get the badge, you go inside a lighthouse and meet her at the top. There you discover that the Ampharos that keeps the lighthouse lit is sick. Jasmine considers this a more pressing priority than battling you. She asks you to travel across the sea to Cianwood City to pick up a special medicine at the pharmacy there. You voyage across the ocean to this seaside town where you can trade for a rare Pokémon, discover another gym, and hear locals gossip about the legendary Pokémon Lugia. Then you travel back to Jasmine, deliver the medication, and she will finally battle you.

In Hulbury, Jasmine is standing outside the lighthouse - which is inaccessible. She hands you a trainer card and walks back to her gym. You fight her and leave through "Galar Mine No. 2".

I find this sort of thing devastating, personally. The sense of adventure is totally gone. You're not on a quest, you're on a guided tour. To even complete the Jasmine questline you need to have obtained the ability to Surf in Ecruteak City by clearing the Eevee House. Sword & Shield doesn't have anyone to meet or anyone to talk in any town that isn't a gym leader. There is zero incentive to explore other than the occasional in game trade or battle item.

This nails it. This is the exact thing I mean when I say they need to kill the hyper linearity. No one is asking for Breath of the Wild: Pokemon Edition, but more side quests and distractions along the way would be great. Pokemon Tower, Tin Tower, Power Plants etc. Hell, even the random wild encounters with Legendaries. Boy, I miss all of that.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
What story beats does Sword and Shield even have? lmao

"Go beat the gyms while we talk about the vague history of Galar and stuff X10"

"Leon is in a private meeting with the Chairman, so something sinister is clearly afoot. Let's go storm his tower for no reason"

"btw gonna cause armageddon because Leon won't wait a day. plz understand."

Shit is so half-baked its embarrassing, and you're gonna call Gen 5 bad? Seriously?

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
I can understand that some people like puzzles but honestly, I was very frustrated as a child getting stuck in puzzles in games that were not about puzzles.

That is, if in Zelda I could not complete a puzzle I understood it, it is the point of the game. But in Pokémon I didn't understand that I had to waste so much time.

Therefore, I don't miss the puzzles in Pokémon at all. They were always something frustrating and boring for me in these games.

Finale Fireworker

Oct 25, 2017
United States
What story beats does Sword and Shield even have? lmao

"Go beat the gyms while we talk about the vague history of Galar and stuff X10"

"Leon is in a private meeting with the Chairman, so something sinister is clearly afoot. Let's go storm his tower for no reason"

"btw gonna cause armageddon because Leon won't wait a day. plz understand."

Shit is so half-baked its embarrassing, and you're gonna call Gen 5 bad? Seriously?

While I'm in the middle of my own disagreement with him, he did say "3D games" and not just Sword & Shield. He could mean Sun & Moon, in which case I would largely agree with him. I like Sun & Moon's story a lot and think it has great characters.

Mediking

Final Fantasy Best Boy (Grip)
I don't think trainer customization makes up for the rest.
Literally would sacrifice this for almost anything.
I love trainer customization too but all things considered, it's not as if they couldn't include it in a 2D game either, just look at the likes of Stardew

I'd prefer they stick to models though, I'd even be fine with them cutting the Pokédex even more if it meant making the Pokémon more lifelike
omg trainer customization would be so far down the list of things i would miss if we could go back to charming 2D sprites. how anyone could prefer the ass-ugly 3D visuals of the 3DS games over the sprites beforehand is beyond me.

The trainer customization is great tho 😭😭😭

Scarlet Spider

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
I just can't see the appeal of running through corridors. Be it in caves or as a city. Even as a kid trial and error through the caves felt rewarding. While I'm glad they ended up ditching the need for HMs, I dislike the lack of exploration we have. There's no excitement of discovering a new location in a cave or surfing to an area you couldn't before. Just feels like an on rails "adventure" nowdays.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
While I'm in the middle of my own disagreement with him, he did say "3D games" and not just Sword & Shield. He could mean Sun & Moon, in which case I would largely agree with him. I like Sun & Moon's story a lot and think it has great characters.
I agree with you on that point, but saying "3D games" in this context doesn't make much sense when Sun and Moon ( the OG versions, not Ultra) are the only 3D games with a story that's actually good.