• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not so sure that's the best parallel because Sakurai's in-depth exhibitions are sort of a different beast. I get the essence of what you're saying but unless this is a really, really comprehensive tour of Home I can't imagine this being a similar situation.

But I suppose it's possible.

Besides I don't think Nintendo would dedicate a whole Direct just for an in-depth look of Home. Such a thing could be done via the website or a video upload on the Pokémon YouTube channel imo.

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
That's right.

This is probably going to predominantly deal with Pokémon Home, the cloud Pokémon transfer service they were touting last year.

I understand, thanks. I heard about that indeed. Anyway, it's a good news for the fans I guess; the previously released game seemed to receive their fair share of criticism (at least on this forum), so maybe that this direct will address some of their complains.
Personally speaking, the general direct can wait a couple of months.

H-I-M

Banned
Apr 26, 2018
So random.
Pokemon SS are still kinda new, so I don't expect anything big from this.

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
Just saw Joe's tweet that this will be the longest Pokémon Direct ever (or at least since 2013). That's something to consider regardless of what the content is. Clearly they want this stream to really count and have a lot to say about something.

This is why I'm excited, even if I don't really have a reason to be.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
I don't even know what this could mean in the context of Pokémon. Game Freak has often taken fan feedback to some of the worst possible conclusions and made bizarre choices and feature changes. (Not to say always, just often.) Given the current state of the series I can't even brainstorm any other ways Game Freak/TPC could poorly interpret fan feedback that's any worse than they've been doing for years.
Oh don't worry I have plenty:

- Gen 8 Pokemon all but erased in subsequent purges because people made memes about Dracovish on Twitter
- No Wild Area or any even remotely non-linear routes ever again to cut down on object pop-in
- People complained about the story feeling bare and inconsequential so now it'll interrupt you constantly all the time
- Raids are hard to orchestrate with other players so they're gone completely

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
I don't really understand why Pokemon diamond and pearl would need a remake. Pokemon platinum is arguably the best game in the franchise, why would anyone like forward to a remake of Platinum version?
Cause it's ugly, slow, and missing over a decade of QoL improvements

Mickagau

Dec 11, 2018
France
I wonder if Detective Pikachu will retain the art style from the 3DS game or rather lean towards the movie aesthetics....

VerySerious

Oct 25, 2017
People in this thread asking for Pokémon Snap 2 have damn good taste. Too bad it'll never happen...

ANNOUNCE IT IN THE DIRECT, YOU COWARDS

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017

Just putting these tweets here for details to calm context

But Pokémon X and Y were announced on January too. I don't see how teasing the Sinnoh remakes or even announcing them will affect Sword and Shield's sales. B2W2 weren't affected at all and managed to be the best third versions / sequels since Yellow.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
But Pokémon X and Y were announced on January too. I don't see how teasing the Sinnoh remakes or even announcing them will affect Sword and Shield's sales. B2W2 weren't affected at all and managed to be the best third versions / sequels since Yellow.
Because B2W2 had been out for 7 months at that point.

I just feel revealing a new main series title would be a bad call.

I am not expecting it
This isn't how Game Freak usually fixes problems. They'd simply remove Double Kick. Problem solved.
I have a full list of how they have actually fixed problems. Do you want it? :P

HavakPkmn

Feb 13, 2019
Manchester
Pokemon Black 2 and White 2 came out in late 2012 everywhere except Japan, then Pokemon X and Y were announced in January 2013
That's a slightly different scenario though. Sequels to generation of games leading into a new one on a new console they wanted to sell. At the time, people wanted the game(s) after Black & White to be on 3DS and they weren't despite the console coming out in March 2011 (when the original Black & White came out). Also, there was an additional month even then for the rest of the world, in that unique scenario. Still, I'd go off the Japan release though.

It isn't really a comparison to be made, IMO.

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
Because B2W2 had been out for 7 months at that point.

I just feel revealing a new main series title would be a bad call.

I am not expecting it

Only in Japan. The West only got the games in October. But still, a tease at the end that only shows Dialga and Palkia remade would be enough and, seriously, I doubt that Sw/Sh sales would hurt much, if at all. I'm expecting at least a teaser along with Home and Detective Pikachu 2.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not so sure that's the best parallel because Sakurai's in-depth exhibitions are sort of a different beast. I get the essence of what you're saying but unless this is a really, really comprehensive tour of Home I can't imagine this being a similar situation.

But I suppose it's possible.

Yeah, I don't expect them to spend all of the time on one thing. I guess my point was I don't correlate the length of a presentation with the quality of content shown. We've seen plenty of these presentations that are way too long and bloated with very few big and exciting announcements.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
I remember you saying before you really hate the aesthetic of Platinum. Maybe my Gen IV memory is clouded by the beauty of HG/SS but I always thought Platinum looked really nice.
I don't hate all of it, just the more common assets like grass, dirt, water etc. Platinum had really pretty cities. HGSS was a beauty throughout

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Only in Japan. The West only got the games in October. But still, a tease at the end that only shows Dialga and Palkia remade would be enough and, seriously, I doubt that Sw/Sh sales would hurt much, if at all. I'm expecting at least a teaser along with Home and Detective Pikachu 2.
Always go by the first launch, not the last

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Worth noting that the longest Pokémon Direct was basically an Iwata Asks too

Doubt they'd have anyone else take up that format again any time soon, so yeah, could be lots of info.

Metroidvania

Oct 25, 2017
Hmm....A good chunk of it is definitely gonna be for Home.

They have to 'sell' the service somehow, as they've repeatedly stated it will be bigger/better than Bank, and will include (mini)games and other things to do with your captive pokemon that weren't included in the most recent regional dex.

Probably also have some new info on the datamined 'legacy' pokemon that will be updated to be obtainable in raids, as well.

Maaaaaybe some updates on Sleep, Masters, etc...as well.

Pipe dream is a 'mea culpa' on patching in full data for the Dexit 'mons, but I'm not holding my breath at this point.

Similarly, having D/P/Pt isn't likely to happen this early, unless they REALLY want to address the elephant in the room vis-a-vis dexit and fan backlash (which, lol, ain't happening, considering Sw/Sh sold gangbusters)

Totally random guesses:
-Home 5-10 minutes
-Sw/Sh - 2-4 minutes, depending on how much they show.
-Sleep/Detective Pikachu/Masters/Go/etc - 3-5 minutes

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
I don't hate all of it, just the more common assets like grass, dirt, water etc. Platinum had really pretty cities. HGSS was a beauty throughout
I agree that Platinum's strength was its urban areas. Compared to the first ever glimpse we got of HG/SS I don't think any Pokémon will ever match the wind lines and greenery of New Bark Town. That was such a beautiful announcement.

Nord501

Oct 29, 2017
Massachusetts
I was not expecting this but am excited. I'm not really expecting a game announcement other than them saying the next games will come in 2021. I just feel like this year will not have a new game. But I am hoping for maybe some older games to be announced as coming to Switch, like maybe Gens 1 to 3. I can't really wrap my head around how the DS ones would work for Switch tbh.

JakeNoseIt

Catch My Drift
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Updates to Sword and Shield would be cool and, if it is anything even remotely substantial, pretty surprising.

I'm kinda just hoping for a new Mystery Dungeon game. I'm thirsting for it

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Also, some of the Pokemon sprites in Platinum were just downright ugly compared to their Diamond and Pearl counterparts.

poor Chatot looks like someone hit the shutter button a second too early

Spr_4h_441.png