• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017
There's lots of reasons for this, some real some assumed, but the unfortunate fact is that Pokémon games are made and supported differently than regular games because they are part of a patchwork of multimedia with timelines and overlapping schedules that must be met. Even on a macro-level, Pokémon game development must be coordinated with the anime and the TCG and resources cannot be spent in a way that disrupt this coordination.
People make this argument way too often and put way too much weight into this so called coordination. Yes, when you're releasing a new gen all the different merchandising teams will coordinate to release toys, TCG, etc after the new games are released, but between gens they all release on their own schedule. Pokemon Go updates on its own schedule, new TCG packs and such come out at their own cadence, etc. So there's really nothing at all stopping Gamefreak from releasing updates if they wanted to. In fact, I'd argue they have more freedom because they're the ones coming up with any new concepts and the games are the lead in terms of revealing new Pokemon (ignoring the anime usually showing a next gen pokemon early, and the stuff with Meltan in Go)

Lusamine

Oct 25, 2017
User banned (1 day): Inflammatory community generalizations
Wow, Era does hate Pokémon more than a Donald Trump.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
I really need the Sinnoh remake to remove the bad taste Sword/Shield left in my mouth, played 50 hours and never want to touch those ever again. But I hope it's not going to be as barebones as that so they can take their time with it.

So, just give me Pokémon Puzzle League, thanks.

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
Another possibility, and one that I'm secretly hoping for, is the classic Pokémon games being ported to Switch with local multiplayer and Pokémon Home connectivity.

Dec 2, 2017
- Old Pokemon games coming to switch but not as part of Nintendo online.
- Pokemon home
- detective Pikachu
- sword and shield DLC
- Short teaser for 4th gen remakes

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Pokémon Home, Sleep and an update on the Detective Pikachu game I suppose. Maybe some new raids for SwSh too, those supposedly leaked ones for the other starters and some missing legendaries.

GoldStarz

Oct 25, 2017
Disappointed at the lack of people itt asking for dlc and improvements to SWSH in an era where games can be improved like no man's sky. What year is this?
There's a big difference between those examples though. SwSh is functionally a good game, it's problems lie in its pacing and lack of plot until the last fifth of the game. NMS' problem was mostly that it was a very good game in terms of function because of the general repetitiveness and lack of variety, but no one was expecting much of a story there so that wasn't a real issue.

In order to make SwSh a better game you need to redo the story from scratch, add more set pieces and battles, figure out how to make it flow smoother. And by that point no one would really care anymore bc its a game with a clear endpoint (outside competitive which as noted, is fine) which most are past by that point.

maybe the third versions will be an improvement but there's no real hot fix for this problem bc its not a technical one

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017
Can I have a port of Sun and Moon please? That would make it an awesome Pokémon Direct for me.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
I really doubt they're going to announce a new mainline game two months after the release of their previous one.

doemaaan

Oct 27, 2017
People posting about Pokémon Home and Sleep in this thread... I thought this was some kind of joke running in here, but they're actual releases... man those names.

I won't get it, but hoping they announce Pokémon Snap 2 sometime in this lifetime.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
I said "little to no evidence". Usually there's more buzz from insiders with things like them mentioning they've heard something about a Direct on a specific date and the occasional leak, but we didn't have that. Even if you want to mention the Gamestop stuff people where calling a Direct this week or next week before that.

Insiders all voted for a January Direct in the poll, FWIW.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
People make this argument way too often and put way too much weight into this so called coordination. Yes, when you're releasing a new gen all the different merchandising teams will coordinate to release toys, TCG, etc after the new games are released, but between gens they all release on their own schedule. Pokemon Go updates on its own schedule, new TCG packs and such come out at their own cadence, etc. So there's really nothing at all stopping Gamefreak from releasing updates if they wanted to. In fact, I'd argue they have more freedom because they're the ones coming up with any new concepts and the games are the lead in terms of revealing new Pokemon (ignoring the anime usually showing a next gen pokemon early, and the stuff with Meltan in Go)

Hey, you're preaching to the choir. I think they are way too conservative with "disrupting the timeline" and don't even know how much of it is genuine synergistic constraint and how much is just fan presumption. I've been a Pokémon fan long enough to know it's impossible to understand why these companies make the decisions they make. It's either beyond our understanding or indecipherable nonsense.

LBsquared

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 22, 2019
The only thing that saves this for me is if it's actually a Pokemon Puzzle League II reveal.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
I really, really doubt they will announce a new main game at this. Sword and Shield aren't even 2 months old.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
National Dex ain't gonna fix a bad game yall. just play Showdown

anypoop, my guesses
  • Pokken 2
  • Detective Pikachu 2
  • Dungeons and Dragon Types: a D&D/Pokemon Crossover
  • Pokemon Party by NDCube
  • Pokemon Puzzle League 2

Jahranimo

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Aye y'all wanted a direct so bad :P

I guess Pokken 2 and Home stuff will be here I guess.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017

Sagroth

Oct 28, 2017
My guess:

-Sw/Sh update (rest of the raids, Hidden Abilities for the starters, maybe a few rereleased Pokemon like the other Gen 1 starters).

-Pokemon Home news and release date.

-Spinoff.

-Hinting towards Diamond/Pearl but nothing outside a teaser or less.

Effect

Oct 25, 2017
I do hope there is information on a Pokken 2. It will likely be DLC, maybe remake news (that seems to early though), and Home.

n_than

May 29, 2019
Pokémon Max Sword & Max Shield?
Pokémon Spacial Pearl & Timeless Diamond?
Pokémon Home?
Big update for Pokémon Sword & Shield?
Pokkén Fighters II?
Detective Pikachu 2?
Pokémon Let's Go, Pichu & Pokémon Let's Go, Togepi?
Any other spin off?

Last edited:

Rosur

Oct 28, 2017
Surprised to see a Pokemon Direct before a general one.

Do wonder if they will announce gen IV remakes here or DLC for Sword/ Shield

Atheerios

Oct 27, 2017
What I expect:

- Pokémon Home detailed
- New Pokémon spin-off for Switch, releasing spring
- Pokémon DP remakes revealed (titles only, no footage)

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
I'm playing Crystal on 3DS and the lack of L=A and wireless controls makes me cry. We also need a fast-forward feature, like the Final Fantasy ports have.