• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chromie

Dec 4, 2017
Washington
Here's Tim Rogers doing what he does best, talking and getting me to listen. Nearly 40 minutes of goodness to listen to

Pokémon is one of the most successful media franchises in the world. I investigated why, starting from the hypothesis that is has a LOT in common with criminal confidence scams.

Delete my trainer card if old.

TYRANITARR

Oct 28, 2017
I'll speak for myself:

I just did a Link Battle with my 7 year old daughter. Battling against other people is 1000% more fun than battling the NPCs and Elite Four and whatever else in the game. You can tell there's a lot of great meta strategy there and the combat is actually fun. I'm not a big Poke fan, but doing live Link Battles today was excellent.

Oct 25, 2017
I personally never understood Pokémon. I did play red blue back in the day.

But the concept of "here is 200 water Pokémon to battle with" never made sense to me.
You catch early Pokémon to just trash them later for a better one? Then what's the point of the early ones?

And why would I have a pikachu on my team? Just have zapdos, moltres, articuno, metwo, and whatever Pokémon 140-150 is on my team and never change them?
Just the way I've come to understand the series. If I have 0 desire to catch em all, would I like this series?

Oct 27, 2017

But the concept of "here is 200 water Pokémon to battle with" never made sense to me.
You catch early Pokémon to just trash them later for a better one? Then what's the point of the early ones?

And why would I have a pikachu on my team? Just have zapdos, moltres, articuno, metwo, and whatever Pokémon 140-150 is on my team and never change them?
Just the way I've come to understand the series. If I have 0 desire to catch em all, would I like this series?

Have you ever played a game where you have access to weak weapons early on, but as you progress, you get access to better weapons? Do you complain about that?
But what you're saying isn't really true. Pokemon you get at the beginning often get stronger and evolve and can be more than good enough to progress through the game.

OP
OP
Chromie

Chromie

Dec 4, 2017
Washington

Competitive battling is why I love Pokémon. You could use an Articuno, Zapdos, Moltres or legendary but that doesn't mean they'll be able to take on my perfect bred Pokémon. There's nothing like breeding the perfect Pokémon to me. It's mindless but it's fun to me. And it being turn based isn't skill, it's strategy. Using the perfect combinations of items, natures, and Pokémon can really make a battle intense. I remember someone challenging me with a bunch of legendary Pokémon and I had a crobat for trick room. I was doing weird stuff in X/Y. Anyway, trick room with Crobat and then bam, Chandelure is first and destroying his team. My precious candlelabra was so slow but still first, so delicate but a straight up glass cannon and I made them. I found the right Pokémon and had them lay eggs until I was happy. Random people got free Pokémon with great stats thanks to wonder trade. It's the best.

Before I was into breeding it was the catching aspect. I have a living Pokédex waiting to be transferred someday to this game...I love filling up the Pokédex, reading the new entries and just actually catching them all.

Why would someone like you want to play? Definitely not the story or challenge. I think all Pokémon games have crappy writing and story. Everyone gives the Black/White series some love but it's still all so dumb to me. JRPG nonsense.

Oct 25, 2017
Have you ever played a game where you have access to weak weapons early on, but as you progress, you get access to better weapons? Do you complain about that?
But what you're saying isn't really true. Pokemon you get at the beginning often get stronger and evolve and can be more than good enough to progress through the game.

I get the weapon argument, but these are supposed to be living creatures you give nicknames to. But like I said, give me zapdos and I'm good.

Competitive battling is why I love Pokémon. You could use an Articuno, Zapdos, Moltres or legendary but that doesn't mean they'll be able to take on my perfect bred Pokémon. There's nothing like breeding the perfect Pokémon to me. It's mindless but it's fun to me.

Before I was into breeding it was the catching aspect. I have a living Pokédex waiting to be transferred someday to this game...I love filling up the Pokédex, reading the new entries and just actually catching them all.

Why would someone like you want to play? Definitely not the story or challenge. I think all Pokémon games have crappy writing and story. Everyone gives the Black/White series some love but it's still all so dumb to me. JRPG nonsense.

Right, but wouldn't my perfectly bred zapdos beat your perfectly bred raichu?

But yeah, the catching them all aspect is not really for me. Like ni no kuni was kind of like pokemon as well. Lots of different monsters to catch. But I didn't care. I just want whatever does the most damage.

OP
OP
Chromie

Chromie

Dec 4, 2017
Washington
I get the weapon argument, but these are supposed to be living creatures you give nicknames to. But like I said, give me zapdos and I'm good.

Right, but wouldn't my perfectly bred zapdos beat your perfectly bred raichu?

Except you can't breed legendary and no. Zapdos is flying so it's not entirely resistant to electric Pokémon. I'm sure Zapdos is faster but a perfect Raichu would most likely survive an attack and then retaliate.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Pokemon can still have different stats- either as a species or an individual specimen- that differentiate them even within the same type. Rapidash has a different niche from Arcanine, even though both are Fire type, and even then your Rapidash might fare worse in battle than my Rapidash depending upon those aforementioned individual stats. On top of that, Pokemon can be dual type too. Lapras will have a better time against Electric Pokemon than Blastoise will because it is Water and Ice to Blastoise's Water.

Regardless, most people generally stick to most or all of their starting team, if only because the time spent with you means they're going to be overleveled anyway. Better to keep hold of the scrappy and reliable upstarts you've got then to ditch all of them for technically better Pokemon near the end game that might not be as highly leveled.

Finally, people like many Pokemon for their designs and personalities, not necessarily their battle readiness. And the invention of competitive tiers there's no reason why you can't use your favorites just because they're not Uber Pokemon like Mewtwo. And even then that's not to say you absolutely can't; someone won the World Championship with a Pachirisu on their team, an electric rodent Pokemon with terrible stats compared to the legendaries it squared off against.

People love Pokemon because Pokemon are cool. xD

DPT120

Oct 27, 2017
I'll speak for myself:

I just did a Link Battle with my 7 year old daughter. Battling against other people is 1000% more fun than battling the NPCs and Elite Four and whatever else in the game. You can tell there's a lot of great meta strategy there and the combat is actually fun. I'm not a big Poke fan, but doing live Link Battles today was excellent.
I agree. Pokemon's metagame is pretty deep. GF does nothing to prepare you for it though.

Clay

Oct 29, 2017

I like them and I don't go out of my way to catch them all. There's closing in on a thousand now, even though the new games culled a bunch of characters it still takes a ton of time and there's no real reason to.

It seems like your romanticizing the game in a weird way. Yeah, I guess your supposed to develop a relationship with the monsters, but do you usually refuse to use new characters in an RPG because you're too emotionally invested in the characters you started the game with? You can easily swap monsters in and out of your team. The games are nowhere near hard enough that you need to stack your team with Zapdos, Moltres, etc. or their newer equivalents. You're fine just using characters you think look cool, or that have useful abilities. Having half your team be birds is going to backfire when you reach a boss with Pokemon effective against them.

I agree. Pokemon's metagame is pretty deep. GF does nothing to prepare you for it though.

Eh, not really from what I've seen. Most fights just have players going through the motions of simple algorithms. Only a small subset of Pokemon are competitively viable, and those fit into an even smaller number of archetypes (tank, special sweeper, etc.).

Status
Not open for further replies.