• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

MegaRockEXE

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
I'm finally catching up on this game after having to do other things since its release.
Those Ultra Worm Hole Pokemon... I didn't even know a Sigilyph was a Pokemon. And on the third time, I just run into a shiny Swellow. They really do just hand these out, huh. Kind of makes them feel a bit less special.

Hikari

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Elysium
Modest shiny Kyogre after about 800 soft resets and no shiny charm! I nearly fell out of my chair! My favourite Pokémon and I only started soft resetting this afternoon. It has perfect sp attack, speed, hp, and the defense and special defense are really great but thank god for hyper training to make it perfect. Damn, I'm so happy. Literally been waiting forever to have a legit shiny English Kyogre in current Gen.

https://imgur.com/a/WyV27

Last edited:

MegaRockEXE

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
I finally beat the Elite Four. It was fairly challenging as I was a bit underleveled by that point. The changes to it were nice.
Regarding the team, my Dusk Lycanroc really carried the other near the end. That and Decidueye were my stronger mons. They were also higher-end than the rest, but maybe that's because I always kept them on my team. They fun and consistently reliable.
Now I guess it's time to start the post game. It seems different already.

thelongestj

Oct 27, 2017
Only took 138 eggs and I got my Shiny Naive Protean Froakie. I've been using the 3DSRNG Tool to help with accepting and rejecting the right eggs. I'm at 18 hours in Ultra Moon and I've only made it as far at the Paniola Ranch. I've got the Shiny charm though thanks to the help of some kind people on Dischord. Now only 43 more eggs to hatch and I'll have a shiny hidden power fire contrary Snivy. I've already bred a shiny Charmander so I just need to EV train them up so I can play through the rest of the game with my three favorite starters all shiny.

Boogiepop

Oct 25, 2017
Well, I finally beat it, including the Rainbow Rocket stuff, and... that was underwhelming. Like, ever time they did one of these "third version" games up until now, it felt like a step up from their previous efforts. Blue/Yellow -> Crystal -> Emerald -> Platinum -> B2/W2 felt like a solid chain of them getting more and more worthwhile. But this certainly doesn't live up to even Platinum, much less B2/W2.

Heck, for the first time ever with one of these... I'm actually not even sure I can call these the definitive versions for the generation. Like, I don't think the new content is bad exactly, but it's not exactly all that impressive. In particular, after allllllll that repetition, I was like "okay, Ultra Megalopolis (or w/e it's called), time for the new stuff to start proper!" and then... it was just essentially a short hallway to a boss fight and that's it. Super underwhelming. I guess the two minigames added could be worth something if you were into such things, but they did nothing for me. Like, Rainbow Rocket was the only bit that felt like it had any substance to it at all. At least that was pretty solid, but not exactly enough to prop up the game all by itself.

And I'm not sure all that plus the minor tweaks here and there are enough to make up for the way that, you know, they completely destroyed the plot. Like, the changes more or less trashed it, and what they replaced it with is easily worse. And then on top of that, while a minor issue, I'd say they wrecked the pacing a bit. As in Moon I found it feeling like a big buildup straight through to the end... but here Mina's trial is awkwardly inserted, and it kind of just feels like fetch quest-y filler.

Heck, even the expanded dex I kind of felt less than usual with such things. Like, it felt like plenty of grass patches were more or less running into the same 2 Pokemon over and over with one rare 3rd one. And then I had what felt like a loooooong stretch where I ran into like 80% Pelliper and got sick of it, and from that point on decided I was avoiding running into wild Pokemon as much as possible.

The thing I'd say might make me grumpiest, though... STILL no National Dex! And like, I can deal with it, but it's kind of depressing imagining all the kids out there excited about catching a new Pokemon and then... nothing. It was a bad thing in the original Sun/Moon, but I mean, at least there you'd only really run up against the issue with Bank (and at least then you have a "national dex" through that) and Island Scan, which is buried fairly deep. But here, with the Ultra wormholes shoved in your face (and to a lesser degree stuff like finding Electrode in the RR HQ), you likely WILL run right into this, and I mean... it's just plain lame.

MegaRockEXE

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
I just finished the Rainbow Rocket stuff and I assume that's the basically all of the post-game.
I mean, overall I like the new content. A number of changes are honestly just how the base game should have been, like an actual Victory Road. But specifically the Rainbow Rocket chapter was top-notch stuff. I enjoyed it very much. Actual classic puzzle-like section, battle with Lillie and Guzma, and battling the boss characters with their respective legendary was amazing. I was actually a bit underleveled at this point, so it was somewhat difficult.
What did they do to the Battle Tree though? It felt like I was cheating going into the normal difficulty and sweeping everyone with my in-game team because the opponent was capped at Level 50. Battle Royal got new level caps, but not like it matters at all because the battles are all the same.
But on the downside, kind of reiterating the user above. Pokemon variety was increased, but it still seems like I didn't get to see all of the Pokemon. In Sun, the last Pokemon I caught was Spinda because it was a rare encounter in one optional place and no trainer had it. This time around, there are many Pokemon that you don't see and wouldn't know where to look unless you went by a guide. Claydol, but no Baltoy. Golurk, but no Golett. Dragalge, but not whatever it evolves from. Or Larvesta. And is Litleo seriously a Poke Pelago-only Pokemon? Yeah, no National Dex still sucks. If they had time to rewrite all the entries, it shouldn't have been a problem to do the rest.

DeathPeak

Oct 27, 2017
I've been trying really hard, but this may be my least favorite Pokémon. It's so slow going. I'm still early in the game (only just finished the first trial), so I'm hoping it picks up. It feels like a step back from AS/OR.

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I just finished the Rainbow Rocket stuff and I assume that's the basically all of the post-game.
I mean, overall I like the new content. A number of changes are honestly just how the base game should have been, like an actual Victory Road. But specifically the Rainbow Rocket chapter was top-notch stuff. I enjoyed it very much. Actual classic puzzle-like section, battle with Lillie and Guzma, and battling the boss characters with their respective legendary was amazing. I was actually a bit underleveled at this point, so it was somewhat difficult.
What did they do to the Battle Tree though? It felt like I was cheating going into the normal difficulty and sweeping everyone with my in-game team because the opponent was capped at Level 50. Battle Royal got new level caps, but not like it matters at all because the battles are all the same.
But on the downside, kind of reiterating the user above. Pokemon variety was increased, but it still seems like I didn't get to see all of the Pokemon. In Sun, the last Pokemon I caught was Spinda because it was a rare encounter in one optional place and no trainer had it. This time around, there are many Pokemon that you don't see and wouldn't know where to look unless you went by a guide. Claydol, but no Baltoy. Golurk, but no Golett. Dragalge, but not whatever it evolves from. Or Larvesta. And is Litleo seriously a Poke Pelago-only Pokemon? Yeah, no National Dex still sucks. If they had time to rewrite all the entries, it shouldn't have been a problem to do the rest.
Rainbow Rocket was nice, I love that Archie and Maxie are in their original outfits from the original Ruby and Sapphire designs. Indicating they come from that universe instead of the Omega Ruby and Alpha Saphire universe.

Still greatly disappointed with the game. The ultra wormhole is fun until you have to start adding legendaries into your team to get the 3rd one unlocked, or when you reach the end of your list farming wormhole for the last legendary can be painfully long and boring. (Which is why the Shinies were probably placed as incentive to keep playing).
But no national dex is awful. This game really had no work put into it whatsoever. Black and White 2 had a lot of love and it was essentially an entirely new game set in the same region. I wish we could have more of that, but with generations now consisting of 70-80 Pokemon I feel like the 3rd games are dead in the water.

singo

Nov 5, 2017
I regret buying both US and UM. I'm struggling to find the motivation to complete just one of them. They are such a slog.

Lord Arcadio

Oct 27, 2017
Switch sales is dominating the discussion when it comes to the released Nintendo financial report, but I think it's very interesting to see that USUM has already sold 7.17m units.

It has outsold Crystal and Emerald. It will pass Platinum soon. BW2 sold 8.52m units. I think it can outsell that eventually.

The people who wanted this to fail didn't get their wish lol.

Deleted member 26535

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Only more 10 hours and Pokémon Ultra Moon will be my most played "3rd version/enhanced" version.

Ultra Moon is the only game that I have been playing since the last Splatfest.

But really, SM and USUM should not coexist this way. What a strange generation.

RpgN

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
So...UM and US are bad versions? I have moon and still need to play it.

Which versions are better? Moon/Sun or Ultra versions?
If I play Moon, is it worth it getting the ultra version if you ignore the price?

Lord Arcadio

Oct 27, 2017
So...UM and US are bad versions? I have moon and still need to play it.

Which versions are better? Moon/Sun or Ultra versions?
If I play Moon, is it worth it getting the ultra version if you ignore the price?

USUM's main storyline is mostly the same as SM's, but I think the changes they made to it were not good. They shoehorned Necrozma into a story that wasn't designed to have it and that showed.

Aside from that, USUM is superior in every way. If you already have SM and aren't a hardcore fan though, I'm not sure it's worth playing USUM.

b-dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
USUM's main storyline is mostly the same as SM's, but I think the changes they made to it were not good. They shoehorned Necrozma into a story that wasn't designed to have it and that showed.

Aside from that, USUM is superior in every way. If you already have SM and aren't a hardcore fan though, I'm not sure it's worth playing USUM.
I actually like the changes better. Lille's mom is a more interesting character for the changes and isn't as cartoonishly evil in the Ultra versions.

Rogue Agent

Oct 25, 2017
Some really difficult battles and the short-lived Team Rainbow Rocket make this game a better version for me than the originals.

btkadams

Oct 25, 2017
I am really struggling to play through Ultra Sun (played through Moon at release). I don't think i've ever felt this way with a previous game in the series. I've put 10 hours in and it's been a total slog, just clicking through dialog and battling, not feeling anything. I'm really just playing through so i can get the new Ultra Beasts, as I have a complete Pokédex outside of these new ones.

I'm not sure what I wanted out of this though. My first guess would be a proper Moon/Sun 2 rather than Ultra version, but i'm finding myself not enjoying this world at all this time through, despite really really enjoying Moon. I hope i'm not just completely burned out on these games...

RpgN

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands

So they only disappoint in the story department, but gameplay wise they are better in every way. Thanks for making that clear. I have been asking myself whether they are worth it for me. Usually I appreciate gameplay and QoL improvements, but story is also important if it's decent enough.

And how about the new additions? Do they make the game feel fresh? Are they worth it for double dipping?

No they're not bad versions

I would appreciate a more detailed reply especially since you're a big Pokemon fan. I tried looking for a review on your website but I didn't find any.

WPS

Oct 25, 2017
And how about the new additions? Do they make the game feel fresh? Are they worth it for double dipping?

While I do enjoy the new features of USUM, there is the key issue that you'll have to go through the games story to reach them. SM's story does not hold up to replays at all - while the writing is not much worse than your standard fare, the presentation of it makes it feel like a huge slog. It's super linear, it has incredibly slow cutscenes and the game stops incredibly frequently to teach you about X feature you already know about or can figure out yourself. USUM's story is only has a few differences, so much so that 90% of it feels like you're playing SM again, especially the middle part. It feels like an actual chore to struggle through the plot until you reach the new parts.

I think I can recommend USUM over SM, but not by as large a margin as other third versions and I really would advise against double dipping unless you have the patience of a saint.

boybrushdRED

Oct 26, 2017
Philippines
Maintenance on Wednesday for SM / USUM. Hopefully, masterballs from game link will be distributed after the maintenance. And I thought I read somewhere that there may be an incoming patch.

btkadams

Oct 25, 2017
I've continued playing through Ultra Sun so that I can get the new ultra beasts. Just got to the Necrozma fight and holy fuck? One-hit KOs my entire team and I've heen 10+ levels above every trainer the whole game.

Where do I even go to grind if I've battled all the trainers up to this point?

EDIT: put quick claw on a Muk with Toxic and just used maybe 5 revives to last through the poisoning and I beat him....

Last edited:

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
Did I miss something or is a cutscene completely missing?
I'm playing Ultra Moon and Necrozma just absorbed Lunala and left, then the Ultra Recon Squad said maybe I could ride Solgaleo to chase after him and then when I said yes Solgaleo was just there, no summoning or anything, the cutscene acted like it was standing there the whole time.

Pokemaniac

Oct 25, 2017
Did I miss something or is a cutscene completely missing?
I'm playing Ultra Moon and Necrozma just absorbed Lunala and left, then the Ultra Recon Squad said maybe I could ride Solgaleo to chase after him and then when I said yes Solgaleo was just there, no summoning or anything, the cutscene acted like it was standing there the whole time.
That's the Ultra Recon Squad's Solgaleo. It was in a Pokéball or something.

Deleted member 31092

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Shoot the totem battles and Necrozma were way harder than I expected.

I was searching the thread to post exactly this. First time he literally outspeeded and oneshotted every single one of my Pokémon.

I had to use Roto Boost on my Decidueye so that I could survive its Photon Geyser, then wait until he finished its PP stalling with max potions, Sinister Arrow Raid to bring him at red life and finish it with Sucker Punch. Great battle and great OST too.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
I was searching the thread to post exactly this. First time he literally outspeeded and oneshotted every single one of my Pokémon.

I had to use Roto Boost on my Decidueye so that I could survive its Photon Geyser, then wait until he finished its PP stalling with max potions, Sinister Arrow Raid to bring him at red life and finish it with Sucker Punch. Great battle and great OST too.
Necrozma is easy to cheese, have a Zorua/Zoroark with Toxic at the front of your party that with transform into a Pokemon that Necrozma would use Photon Geyser on.
Necrozma did eventually figure out what was going on for me, but by the time it did it was too late for it and it was already under half health when it took down my level 8 Zorua with Power Gem.

Last edited:

btkadams

Oct 25, 2017
Well I finally made it through far enough into Ultra Sun to get the new legendaries/UB.

Complete dex again (until that one last mythical event). Looking forward to the new gen :)

US/UM have some problems, but they're still such a leap over X&Y. I have faith in the switch game.

Last edited:

Korosenai

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
So say I bought Moon a while back but never got around to playing it.... Is it worth spending another $40 for Ultra Moon or should I just play what I have and be fine?

b-dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
I'd play US/UM over S/M, but since you've already got the former it'll be fine. You're just missing out on a more fleshed out main story and some more story content after the E4.

Elliott

Oct 25, 2017
Is Blacephalon the only UB you can find in the wild? Are rest of them only obtainable through the ultra wormholes?

celebi23

Oct 26, 2017
Might anyone have an extra Dialga & Palkia US code? Haven't had a chance to head to Gamestop yet and won't be able to get there tomorrow. Currently sick with the flu and a fever.

GuitarGuruu

Oct 26, 2017
So say I bought Moon a while back but never got around to playing it.... Is it worth spending another $40 for Ultra Moon or should I just play what I have and be fine?

Personally if you never have played Gen 7 yet I'd get USUM, better post game, better Pokemon selection, and overall I think the story is better although somewhat the same. It'd be a different story if you had already played SM though.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
lupinko was kind enough to give me a code, so I have a Shiny Poipole :D

DXSiL3dWsAA1YVX.jpg

thelongestj

Oct 27, 2017
So 3DSRNG reporter says that I will have to hatch 247 eggs before I get my shiny Bounsweet. Luckily, I have two close shiny seeds coming up after that. I'm going to try to hatch them this week. It will make it more enjoyable if I have a few different Pokemon to hatch rather than just Bounsweet forever. So if anyone has any requests for 5/6 IV Pokemon they want hatched I have a 6 IV Ditto and a living dex so I can probably hook you up.

singo

Nov 5, 2017
So 3DSRNG reporter says that I will have to hatch 247 eggs before I get my shiny Bounsweet. Luckily, I have two close shiny seeds coming up after that. I'm going to try to hatch them this week. It will make it more enjoyable if I have a few different Pokemon to hatch rather than just Bounsweet forever. So if anyone has any requests for 5/6 IV Pokemon they want hatched I have a 6 IV Ditto and a living dex so I can probably hook you up.
You should hatch magikarp for the like 240 in between. As long as the pokes in the daycare are the same in regards to being foreign and/or ditto, they won't change your egg being shiny. They hatch so fast.

MegaRockEXE

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Can you get me an Electrike? Or is that too out of the way?

Nov 27, 2017
is ultrasun/moon worth getting?

im a casual pokemon fan havnt played since xy. Is it much different from those games? I started sapphire again on gba last night but Im so tempted to just go for ultra sun or moon and go balls deep into pokemon to get me up to date with all the new stuff in the games.

someone please convince why its worth the money! (will probably get it anyway)