• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

1000% H

Oct 25, 2017
Who at GameFreak thought it was a good idea to have Necrozma be such a high level and then have all of the important battles that follow be at lower levels? I got frustrated with Ultra Necrozma but eventually moved past it, but then seeing that all the following battles were at such pitiful levels made me even more frustrated. Did they not realise that most people would just grind their team to be higher than Ultra Necrozma? Because of that ridiculous grind I had to do in order to beat Necrozma my Primarina, and I think one or two other Pokemon, were actually in the 70s!
I think that's on you for grinding a ton. My dudes were barely over 50 for Necrozma and I was on par for the E4.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
You know a lot of the out-of-fight stuff has been made super easy like plentiful healing items, Refresh, etc., but some of the actual fights are pretty tough---really struggled against both Guzma and Lusamine.

Sauce Marlow

Oct 31, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I think that's on you for grinding a ton. My dudes were barely over 50 for Necrozma and I was on par for the E4.
I guess. I suppose I deserve some blame, but it really was a necessity to grind a bunch for me. The fact that Necrozma was out-speeding literally everything I had on top of having a super effective move for close to all 6 of my Pokemon meant I had no other choice. I even tried a bunch of cheesing methods, but with the combination of Necroza's boosted stats + a good moveset for the team I used I couldn't do much else. What else am I supposed to do in this situation, short of scrapping my entire team when I'm 90% through the game?

Professor Beef

Official ResetEra™ Chao Puncher
Oct 25, 2017
The Digital World
The way UNecrozma is designed is so all 3 starters have some sort of super effective attack against him. Unfortunately due to typing, Incineroar users get the short end of the stick in terms of defending. In my case, I used Pokemon Bank and brought out a high-level ringer to deal with him because fuck that level of difficulty with no warning.

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
You know a lot of the out-of-fight stuff has been made super easy like plentiful healing items, Refresh, etc., but some of the actual fights are pretty tough---really struggled against both Guzma and Lusamine.
Guzma's Masquerain was surprisingly competent in all fights. Took me by surprise every time.

pokéfan

Oct 25, 2017
Getting a bagon in route 3 is a pain in the arse, spent 3 nights (an hour each) searching, no luck :/.

Pent

Oct 27, 2017
I'm wonderlockeing this one and surprisingly have had a very easy time so far. I guess I just got lucky with my Pokemon (bless whoever sent me a Mudsdale).

I just beat Olivia and am having fun, but I don't think this game is different enough so far. Seems more like an Emerald or Crystal than a BW2.

atomsk eater

Oct 25, 2017

Glad I'm not the only one who feels like this. I haven't been as frustrated by Pokemon fights since I was a 9 year old playing for the first time.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Also the reason I won a lot of fights was due to the Refresh Bonuses lol.

In one fight my Flygon (damn this Pokemon is kinda fragile) did that "endured the hit so you wouldn't cry" twice.

Of course on the downside they always do the critical hit it seems when I'm scoring to catch a Pokemon. Y'know is the critical hit message specifically for Refresh-boosted crits or for crits in general, like Malamar's Psycho Cut?

Professor Beef

Official ResetEra™ Chao Puncher
Oct 25, 2017
The Digital World
Also the reason I won a lot of fights was due to the Refresh Bonuses lol.

In one fight my Flygon (damn this Pokemon is kinda fragile) did that "endured the hit so you wouldn't cry" twice.

Of course on the downside they always do the critical hit it seems when I'm scoring to catch a Pokemon. Y'know is the critical hit message specifically for Refresh-boosted crits or for crits in general, like Malamar's Psycho Cut?
If the hearts/yellow text pop-up, it was because of Refresh.

Zellia

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Reached Rank 11 at the Agency, got lucky with random people in the Plaza so I at least have partners around my level in my VIP list now.

Xion_Stellar

Oct 25, 2017
I can't believe Poipole isn't in a Beast Ball.

It's in a Poké Ball.

I am so angry.
On the contrary speaking as someone who catches everything in a Poké Ball I'm glad Game Freak went with this decision.

I have two quick question PokeERA looking at the rules for the upcoming Online Competition it says this:
• Eligible Pokémon are restricted to Pokémon found in the Johto and Alola Pokédexes.
• Mewtwo, Ho-Oh, Lugia, Zygarde, Cosmog, Cosmoem, Solgaleo, Lunala, Necrozma, and all Mythical Pokémon cannot be used.

So regarding the Pokedex restriction does this mean I can use all Pokemon in the Alola Pokedex including Island Scan Pokemon and non Alola Pokemon (Ex: I can use an Abra) because they are part of the Alola Pokedex in game?

As for the legendary resctriction this means I should be expecting UBs and Genies being used correct?

Deleted member 15457

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is there any way to reroll the Festival Plaza players to search for ones with high Battle Agency ranks?

Getting a bagon in route 3 is a pain in the arse, spent 3 nights (an hour each) searching, no luck :/.

I suggest waiting until you have surf and go for the ones in Kala'e bay.

I noticed the grassy spots that can have bagon in route 3 and Kala'e bay are right next to each other separated by a cliff. A neat little touch there.

Zellia

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I've not found a way to manually refresh trainers for the Agency, but being connected to the internet they seem to refresh over time. I see Grade 10 players fairly often now and make sure to VIP them.

Unfortunately yes the Genies are back in the format because of it.
They're not allowed in the Johto x Alola competition though, as they're not in the Alola dex.

Deleted member 3815

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Man I sure look forward to the Necrozma fight because half the time I forget that I am playing Ultra Moon and keep thinking that I am playing Moon only to be reminded that I am not when the Ultra Recon Squad appeared.

Anyway I managed to get my Type:Null to evolve into Silvally and gave it the dark memory, he will be super useful in the upcoming fights just gotta do the dragon trial first.

It is very heavily implied that Hala is holding back for the grand trial.

Fair enough but then that would also mean that he was holding back against us and yet Hau keeps going on how strong we are...then mock us by giving me healing items. ¬_¬;

I mean, that's pretty obvious. He's in the Elite Four in the first game. What kind of monster is going to battle a kid just starting out with a bunch of his best, and longest trained monsters in his roster?

"Welcome to the second battle of your island challenge. Now fight this level 60 Hariyama."

Why not, gotta teach kids that life is tough and brutal. >:D

Still mad that Regigigas is the UM exclusive

I don't get why they did that since in all past game since Regigigas debut the player was required to capture all the Regi in order to catch Regigigas, but in Ultra Sun and Moon they decided not to do that.

I found Lusamine to be pretty easy but Guzma was tougher due to his Golisopod and Pinsir being difficult for my team to take down.

Did they buff Masquerain???

EDIT: holy shit they did, 20 more points in base special attack and speed

Yep, that little shit head beat up my poor Charizard...still glad that Masquerain got buffed as I have been wanting to use one on my team for a long time and held back due to his stats just need to create the perfect team to add him in.

Wonder if Refresh plus high critical moves stack then?

They do.

TyraZaurus

Nov 6, 2017
Hau doesn't mock anyone, he's just relentlessly friendly and generous. And clearly able to manifest Max Elixers and Revives with the power of positive thinking.

Xion_Stellar

Oct 25, 2017
Well that sucks apparently Island Scan Pokemon are not considered part of the Alola Pokedex so I wont be using Aegislash in the upcoming Online Competition.

Seafoam Gaming

One Winged Slayer
Nov 3, 2017
Just finished the main-game and post game this week after stalling on it due to how boring the game became due to the feeling of Deja Vu. Good god, I've never played a third version with such a horrible start before. It took 20 hours before the Aether thing started and I finally got hooked on it.

Found the new stuff OK, but I'll agree with everyone else and say that Ultra Necrozma is downright evil and cheap, almost on Battle Maison territory. His theme music is epic but when he outsped everyone I had (who were in their late 40s and early 50s) even with boost items, it just made me go for my level 100 Articuno from bank to fight him. And he would have OHKO'd that as well if it wasn't for the max affection my Articuno had acting as a Focus Sash of sorts. Still, Mind Reader/Sheer Cold is always a solution for cheap Pokemon bosses. I just got done with Leafgreen which had a lot of evasion spam problems but even that game never got to this level of cheapness, so I wasn't happy with it, especially since the rest of the game felt perfectly fine when it came to the difficulty.

Post-Game story was OK, but still stupidly short and it felt even shorter than the UB hunt I enjoyed from OG SM. I don't think Gamefreak knows how to make a proper Second Quest like the Frontier, Fight Area, PWT, or Kanto anymore. Still, I'm at the Battle Tree now and am taking full advantage of being able to use level 100 legendary Pokemon for the non-super modes, since in OG Moon I wasn't able to raise a good team due to the lack of EXP spots in that game, and the Bank update came out too late for me to care about using my old ones.

Deleted member 3815

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just did the infamous Ultra Necrozma section of the game...now I am all for challenges in video game but this was just bull shit for good reason as not only was Ultra Necrozma at level 60, which is quite a jump since my team were around 47-48, and that's from normal play without using the exp share, and since there aren't any trainers to fight in between the level 50 Necrozma and the level 60 Ultra Necrozma where exactly was I suppose to get those extra levels raise my team to even fight Ultra Necrozma.

I had to defeat Ultra Necrozma by switching between my Shiinotic, dark type Silvally to try and protect the team from the dragon and psychic type and predict when it would use Smart strike so I could send out my little Togedemaru who had iron barbs for his ability and was holding the rocky helmet just so I could have any chance of taking down Ultra Necrozma and I hated playing like that as it was just straight up awful and I have no idea why Game Freak did that.

Honestly speaking Necrozma really felt shoehorned into the game and I really really wish that they took the sequel route rather then reverting back to the expanded third version as honestly speaking I feel that the original Sun and Moon is the better game with Ultra Sun and Moon adding very little that honestly speaking could have easily been in the base game.

I still have a fair bit of the game left, including the post game but so far I am pretty disappointed by Ultra Sun and Moon.

Hau doesn't mock anyone, he's just relentlessly friendly and generous. And clearly able to manifest Max Elixers and Revives with the power of positive thinking.

Actually after seeing the horror that is Ultra Necrozma, I take that back and gladly accept the Max Elixers and Revives. ;p

Well that sucks apparently Island Scan Pokemon are not considered part of the Alola Pokedex so I wont be using Aegislash in the upcoming Online Competition.

I honestly don't get the point of Island Scan and why they aren't considered part of the Pokédex. And speaking of the Pokédex Rotom is pretty racist towards Pokémon that aren't part of the Alola dex listing as when my Charizard evolved he never once congrats me or asked if I wanted to take pictures but did with the one that are from the Alola dex. :|

Oct 26, 2017
So question for my friends that have beaten the game.

I just got to the ultra wormhole part and would like to start catching some legendaries with my synchronize pokes. But then I realize I don't have my Judge function yet because obviously I haven't made it to the battle tree yet.

I'm assuming I can just catch my box legendary and then come back to catch other things post game right?

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Can anyone inform me as to how long it takes to reach Mount Lanakila after arriving on Ula'ula Island? I've literally just arrived there having read that you can access the area near the elevator without having first completed the Island Trials, and my intention is to evolve my Crabrawler. It's level 30 now and I would love to evolve it ASAP.

Thanks!

Ravidrath

Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Can anyone inform me as to how long it takes to reach Mount Lanakila after arriving on Ula'ula Island? I've literally just arrived there having read that you can access the area near the elevator without having first completed the Island Trials, and my intention is to evolve my Crabrawler. It's level 30 now and I would love to evolve it ASAP.

Thanks!

You can't evolve your Crabrawler until you get onto the mountain proper - the rock is at the top of the elevator, in the dungeon leading to the Pokemon League.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
You can't evolve your Crabrawler until you get onto the mountain proper - the rock is at the top of the elevator, in the dungeon leading to the Pokemon League.

So then this information is incorrect (the second paragraph there)?

https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Mount_Lanakila

I thought the rock would be just for Eevee to evolve into Glaceon, if I really do need to get to the mountain proper then I'll have to drop my Crabrawler unfortunately.

Ravidrath

Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Ah, looking at Serebii, it looks like my info was outdated - sorry about that.

It just says "Level Up w/ Snow" now.

Yeah no prob, glad to have confirmation that Serebii is saying the same. I'll stick with my Crabrawler I think, IIRC my 'mons weren't much higher than the average level of 30 they are now when I reached that area in Sun, so it shouldn't be long. Crabrawler with Eviolite is still a bit of a beast regardless lol.

Spinosaurus

Oct 25, 2017
I got my Crabominable right before the ghost trial/after the first Guzma fight. Just level it up in the grass patch near the elevator and you're good.

If you want Crabhammer you might have to wait till..level 37 I think? And if you let it evolve at that level you'll get Ice Hammer too.

Deleted member 3815

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So question for my friends that have beaten the game.

I just got to the ultra wormhole part and would like to start catching some legendaries with my synchronize pokes. But then I realize I don't have my Judge function yet because obviously I haven't made it to the battle tree yet.

I'm assuming I can just catch my box legendary and then come back to catch other things post game right?

Have you hatched 20 eggs as you need to do that as well to unlock it. Personally since you will want a Legendary to have specific IV, I would leave catching them till after I have unlocked the Judge function.

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah I've already hatched the eggs. I just want to continue the story and come back. Do I have to catch Lunala/Necrozma right off the bat when I do this first Ultra worm jump?

Thequietone

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah I've already hatched the eggs. I just want to continue the story and come back. Do I have to catch Lunala/Necrozma right off the bat when I do this first Ultra worm jump?
You don't catch them when you go through the wormhole, it's an actual boss battle hence why Ultra Necrozma is giving people a hard time. You catch them later in the game. One I am not sure is post game or not because I caught it post game but might have been there the whole time. You can avoid getting them until you get the judge mechanic if you want to reset for them.

Oct 26, 2017
You don't catch them when you go through the wormhole, it's an actual boss battle hence why Ultra Necrozma is giving people a hard time. You catch them later in the game. One I am not sure is post game or not because I caught it post game but might have been there the whole time. You can avoid getting them until you get the judge mechanic if you want to reset for them.

Cool, so just beat the boss battle and I can come back later?

Oct 26, 2017
Wow. I've seen how you guys talked about Necrozma and that fight but I came completely prepared. Or I thought so. I could've scummed through it with items but I actually reset and rearranged a couple items.

I'm happy to have an actual good boss fight. Yes.

BlakeofT

Oct 30, 2017
There was a shiny egg 'exploit' in sun and moon. Does it still work in the ultra games?
Sorry to ask this again so soon, but does anyone know the answer to this? I'd like to do this a couple times but not if I can't make it fast.

I found a YouTube video titled something like "Ultra Sun shiny egg exploit" but it was posted in 2016, so it seems the creator just edited the title...

Deleted member 3815

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just cleared up Mount Lanakila, skipping over Necrozma, and I have to say it's a major improvement over the original, though still pretty short, and the level curve is so much improved as it took me little effort in raising my team from level 50-53 to level 60. I also swapped out Palossand for Naganadel as while Palossand hits hard he however can't take hits well and is super slow which causes the team to carry his weight as I am either having to heal him up or switch him out to someone else plus it feels like that every Pokémon has a move that he's weak to.

So my team is currently;

Charizard,
Araquanid,
Shiinotic,
Togedemaru,
Silvally,
Naganadel

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
Lunala and Necrozma won't be in the wormhole. They'll be in different locations after the boss battle but yes after the fight you'll catch them later. Both can be avoided and still finish the main story.

First time since gen 4 you can avoid all the legendaries until you're ready to get them. I'm glad they finally listened.

The peak bullshit was just last gen too with the Delta Episode. Why yes I want to catch two legendaries in a row with one of them forcing their way into the first slot of my party thereby making even synchronize useless.