• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Prison_mike

Oct 26, 2017
Where is the MC from in this version?

I thought it was Kanto so I started with my gen one favorites but if its Johto or another one I want to start over..

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
Guys, I still can't buy the game. I'm so eager to play it.

Question, which tunes are available for online battling?

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I think the real issue for me with trainers having one Pokemon is there's no reason to think about using Z moves.

Every fight I've been able to just mindlessly use my Stoutland's breakneck blitz and win instantly. Having trainers with more than one Pokemon should've been a no brainer considering how hard the game pushes you to use the different Z moves.

I dislike it because it makes training weak Pokemon harder.

In past games you'd have a lead, and then you could switch to another Pokemon when you see what Pokemon the next Trainer is gonna use. That way you can help train your Pokemon relatively evenly.

But in this if you don't pick the right lead each fight you lose out on experience if they only have one Pokemon as you then gotta switch to the one you want to train wasting a turn and splitting the EXP.

André

Oct 25, 2017
Europe

In past games you'd have a lead, and then you could switch to another Pokemon when you see what Pokemon the next Trainer is gonna use. That way you can help train your Pokemon relatively evenly.

But in this if you don't pick the right lead each fight you lose out on experience if they only have one Pokemon as you then gotta switch to the one you want to train wasting a turn and splitting the EXP.

Starting with Generation VI, there is no more "splitting the EXP". Every Pokémon that participates in the battle gets full EXP: https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Experience#Experience_gain_in_battle

Spinosaurus

Oct 25, 2017
Beat the game! My team was Incineroar/Golem/Crabominable/Honchkrow/Torterra/Dragalge

Basically, super slow, and on Set to boot. Some fights weren't fun.

MegaRockEXE

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
This thread is moving fast. Or I'm moving slow. Still haven't started on the third island. I need to catch up!

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017
Just became champion, only one to give me trouble was the flying one because i made the tough call of benching my Lycanroc

Final team:

Shiinotic - Lv 55 - "Fun Gal Lili"
Noivern - Lv 55 - "Ivan"
Incineroar - Lv 55 - "Randy S."
[Totem] Salazzle - Lv 56 - "Sarina"
Lopunny - Lv 58 - "Vanessa"
Primarina - Lv 58 - "Princess"

Gonna get to all the post game tomorrow.

SonicRift

Oct 27, 2017
So if I played Sun, should I get Ultra Sun (like with White/White 2) or do I need to get Ultra Moon to round out all the Pokemon?

Oct 29, 2017
USA
Got a 50 streak in Super Singles on my first run! My team imported from Sun consisted of Xurkitree (Scarf), Garchomp (Mega), & Azumarill (Belly Drum). I did have a few close calls, mostly from RNG bullshit. A Dugtrio that landed a surprise Fissure was the worst. Thankfully a single Aqua Jet took care of it.

I'm not terribly concerned with Doubles or Multi. So my current to-do list is down to Battle Agency and finally finishing my Living Dex. I wanted to do that in Sun, but the lack of good Exp options turned me off. The Roto powers will be of great service to me in this endeavor. I think I've only got a little over 100 spots to fill out, so it shouldn't take too terribly long. I've got all the hard ones done. I just have to hatch and evolve the rest.

Edit: Lost on battle 51. :(

Last edited:

kaisere

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So if I played Sun, should I get Ultra Sun (like with White/White 2) or do I need to get Ultra Moon to round out all the Pokemon?

I would say get UM if you're only grabbing one and exclusives are your concern.

Also, that Ultra Necrozma fight was no joke, ruined my team so I spent time catching and raising a Mimikyu(didn't want to play through two games in a row with the same team and my Mimi was the MVP of Sun) and Banette to try and cheese it with Focus Sash Curse shenanigans. Didn't realize it can hit through disguise, and it bodied my Banette even though it was paralyzed. It then got stuck into Smartsteel Strike against my Doublade (which got one-shot on a previous attempt) and I 3-shot it -_-

Cjdamon042

Oct 28, 2017
Edinburgh
Anyone noticed that sometimes parts of the bottom screen during battles can be seen on the top screen? I think it might just be the area I'm in (Vast Poni Canyon) because it has that swirly mist in the battle background, but I'm not sure. I've only just noticed it as it's very faint and depends on the camera angle. Thought my 3DS was messing up.

yRYmaUh.jpg

For example, you can just about make out Hyper Voice appearing there. It basically mimics part of the bottom screen as the camera moves around. It's not always there, which makes me think it is just the area. At least I hope so and not some weird technical fault with my 3DS...

Last edited:

Deleted member 3815

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Finally made it to Ula Ula Island and said good bye to both Ribombee and just recently Torracat. *sniff* I will miss them as they were on the team the longest.

Anyway after randomly walking around in route 10 before realising that I was in the wrong area, I caught my next member of the team, Komala and according to the IV checker in Pokémon Sun he has great stats so I expect great things from him.

I just did Sophocles' trial and while it's somewhat better than the one in Sun and Moon, I was just bored and during the final part of the Charjabug's puzzle I just ended up muting the music because it was just annoying me, I am so done with Island trial and after spending time in the fake gym and so can't wait for the return of Gym challenge.

I am currently making my way towards the next trial site...whooooo I get to use the Pokéfinder. ¬_¬

Agreed and it's so painfully clear that Game Freak wants player to use the Exp share to train their weaker Pokémon when I shouldn't have to as the one that don't need training will also get the exp and grow higher in levels thus making it harder for the weaker member to catch up.

The Alola region is not balance for a team of 6.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Primarina, Alola Grimer, Ampharos, and Malamar...my team is pretty good. Can't wait to add Flygon soon (I hope the Trapinch/Vibrava you can catch aren't too far behind in level, though I got a Rare Kitchen in Fes. to catch it up), and then figuring out who I'll get from Poni. When can you pick up Scyther there?

Anyway, Sophocles' trial was pretty cool. That part finding the Charjabug seemed brain-dead and pointless, like I was expecting at least a fight when you dug them up, but the main "puzzle" was neat. I actually didn't realize what to do at the end where you have to form a Z, and I was pleasantly surprised that they didn't just tell you the solution. A rare moment of letting the player figure it out.

Togedemaru didn't mess around, though. He killed everyone else, though Ampharos didn't struggle much with a few Super Potions and Brick Break---fuck Spiky Shield though. I tried to take down Skarmory at first with Charge Beam and totally fell into Lightning Rod, which is dumb of me since Soph even points out that's Togedemaru's Ability.

Does the Totem Togedemaru you can get constantly frown like the one you fight? That's cute.

Starting with Generation VI, there is no more "splitting the EXP". Every Pokémon that participates in the battle gets full EXP: https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Experience#Experience_gain_in_battle

That's right, forgot about that...

Still it's annoying to not be able to use some of the weaker Pokemon as you can't find a good time to switch them in.

Ravidrath

Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I like Totem Togedemaru enough I might even bother with the stickers.

Although it looks like we won't be able to take those with us out of Gen 7, so not sure it's worth it...

Zellia

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Beat the post-game episode. Actually pretty fun, way better than the Delta Episode even if it was fanservice fluff. The bosses were pretty challenging - especially their last pokes - and... yeah, more like that please.

Final team for the league and post-game story was Decidueye/Poliwrath/Dragalge/Drifblim/Lopunny/Aerodactyl.

Currently Chansey chaining with a Butterfree to try and score more Lucky Eggs.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Although it looks like we won't be able to take those with us out of Gen 7, so not sure it's worth it...

It seems to be a glitch, right? Because the Totem Pokemon from S/M can be banked.

I really enjoy collecting the stickers, though. Easy to spot, not time specific, and with solid rewards---I dislike the fact the Totem Pokemon don't have any indicators they're Totem Pokemon on the status screen.

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017
I actually had no problem with Ultra Necrozma, tho i do admit the RNG was generous with the happiness based dodges and endures.

But mostly, almost everyone in my team had super effective attacks.

What's with this attitude? like, by the time i beat the league i was at 92 stickers and at absolutely no moment went i out of my way to hunt them, just by progressing the plot you find most of the stickers.

Which frankly it's a good thing because i love my oversized fire lizard.

Virtu Al

Oct 25, 2017
Italy, Rome
I just started the game today, went with Popplio this time, because the clown waterpup deserves a chance. Is it me or are some of the environments...Richer ?

Like, there seem to be a lot more details and elements added to the backgrounds, I don't remember some of them looking this good in the original versions.

Crayolan

Oct 25, 2017
I just started the game today, went with Popplio this time, because the clown waterpup deserves a chance. Is it me or are some of the environments...Richer ?

Like, there seem to be a lot more details and elements added to the backgrounds, I don't remember some of them looking this good in the original versions.

I haven't actually done a comparison between the two but I'm pretty sure they updated the standard Melemele battle background to be more lush and colorful.

Vylash

Oct 25, 2017
man i need an ice stone asap, vulpix is the only unevolved member of my team and it's becoming dead weight

Deleted member 3815

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Does the Totem Togedemaru you can get constantly frown like the one you fight? That's cute.

I just started laughing when my Sandygast used Earth power and seeing the Totem Togedemaru with its pissed off face while it was getting hit.

I was like "Oh shit watch Hizo, we just pissed him off."

I love my little Sandygast.

What's with this attitude? like, by the time i beat the league i was at 92 stickers and at absolutely no moment went i out of my way to hunt them, just by progressing the plot you find most of the stickers.

Which frankly it's a good thing because i love my oversized fire lizard.

People have their own unique way of playing Pokémon games, which is the series strongest point and some just don't feel compelled to go on a collection hunt for stickers, especially as the Rotom dex interrupts the game each time you hit a milestone.

Personally I have been nabbing them as I want get the Totem Mimikyu so I can use it on my Pokémon Moon team.

it's for the best, since alolan sandslash still isn't that much better

Yep, Not only is Alolan Sandslash is slow but its also 4x weak to both fire and fighting which are super common and has a terrible special defense.

Regular Sandslash is miles better than its Alolan counterpart.

Spinosaurus

Oct 25, 2017
Yep, Not only is Alolan Sandslash is slow but its also 4x weak to both fire and fighting which are super common and has a terrible special defense.

Regular Sandslash is miles better than its Alolan counterpart.
You mean competitively? They're both bad but the Alolan version is better because of its niche in Hail teams.

Oct 29, 2017
USA
As repetitive as Mantine Surfing is, it requires a lot of focus to score high enough to earn the max of 50 BP. I believe that score is around 140,000 and is best earned on Ula'ula Beach. I can do it consistently now, but a distraction or a series of unlucky obstacles can quickly lead to a subpar score. My current record stands at 174,087 points.