• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
I like the Champion of US/UM, though the Champion of S/M is a better fight, they did a good job explaining in story why they went this way. Plus because it is Alola you also have the other gigantic pile of Champion level fights.

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean, both of those characters you mentioned alongside a host of other are fightable in title defense
But they weren't the first option. Reason that matters is in case there was ever a future World Tournament Hau will most likely be the Champion representing Alola. (That or the Professor but I doubt it.)
And by giving him that title means he would be considered the main rival Champion for Gen 7 and that's just disappointing.

Deleted member 15457

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I really hope that the battle agency's leveling system does not stunt its long term viability. If I'm at level 80 and all my guests are at level 50 then I'm screwed.

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
But they weren't the first option. Reason that matters is in case there was ever a future World Tournament Hau will most likely be the Champion representing Alola. (That or the Professor but I doubt it.)
And by giving him that title means he would be considered the main rival Champion for Gen 7 and that's just disappointing.
we are never getting a world tournament again, so I would not worry about this

Oct 26, 2017
Hey guys a good pal here was helping me get my Mega stones over to my Ultra moon and about half way through we got disconnected. How long do those trade bans last? It sucks when you really were just trading with a friend.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I've got a question about unlockable music.

In Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire (ORAS), Ho-Oh and Lugia were version-exclusive legendaries, and you could only unlock the battle theme of the one in your version for use in online battles. Ho-Oh's battle theme could only be unlocked in OR, and Lugia's battle theme could only be unlocked in AS. Is that also the case for USUM?

Mega Man Zero

Oct 27, 2017
I beat Necrozma, because my Incineroar loves me and didn't get 1 shotted, or something. Then they send me on a trial against 50 somethings, when I had to level most of my Pokemon to 65 to get by Necrozma? What? My Pokemon are leveling past my obedience cap.

Suicune

Oct 27, 2017
I beat Necrozma, because my Incineroar loves me and didn't get 1 shotted, or something. Then they send me on a trial against 50 somethings, when I had to level most of my Pokemon to 65 to get by Necrozma? What? My Pokemon are leveling past my obedience cap.

Your not supposed to be a higher level than Necrozma most people's teams are mid 50s when they beat/cheese him.

My strategy was constantly reviving decidueye to sucker punch and eat way at it's health. Survived on 7hp to get the final hit in.

Zellia

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I really hope that the battle agency's leveling system does not stunt its long term viability. If I'm at level 80 and all my guests are at level 50 then I'm screwed.
Yeah this is my concern too. So far I'm rank 4 and I've only found one guest in my Plaza who isn't rank 0. Most trainers aren't even selectable because they've never used the Agency and possibly never will. The Agency is a fun facility tainted by the continuing shittiness of the Plaza.

Zellia

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Once Pokémon Switch comes out, the agency is going to be deader than a doorknob. It was really poorly thought out.
It'd be nice if, when that happens, Gamefreak patches the game so that guests auto-rank with you or something, so it at least functions like a psuedo-Battle Factory. Of course, they won't, and the Agency will be unplayable. Oh well.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Totem Lurantis was pretty easy...badly poisoned it with Grimer's Toxic Fang and watched as it wasted turns healing itself with Synthesis as Poison kept taking more and more health. Died on the turn it finally took down Grimer, and then Flaafy easily took down Comfey.

Comet

Oct 27, 2017
So I finally took down Rainbow Rocket and what a thrilling fight that was.

Spoilers I suppose:
Hidden content
You need to reply to this thread in order to see this content.

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
Ultra Wormhole doesn't need flagged legendaries to meet requirements. I used pokemon from gen 3-5 to get those, and now I'm done.

FSLink

Oct 25, 2017
The first Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon Global Mission finished, and surprise surprise, we didn't meet the goal.

Maybe if Festival Plaza didn't suck people would have known it was going on.

Deleted member 9971

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The first Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon Global Mission finished, and surprise surprise, we didn't meet the goal.

Maybe if Festival Plaza didn't suck people would have known it was going on.
I still don't get why they just don't use Nintendo ID or Nintendo Accounts for that, global link is a mess to set up.

Or just count everything of anyone who is connected online. Anyway i think the goals can be possible but not with how bad global link works.

But yeah the festival plaza is such a downgrade to the passerby system. Hopefully Pokemon Switch gets something like the latter.

Zellia

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Reached Ultra Necrozma. My team is late 40s (haven't used EXP Share since the third island). Either I cheese this or I'm gonna have to grind.

Deleted member 9714

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The battle competition is Johto vs Alola with a 50 BP reward.
This sounds fun. Are you required to use Pokémon from either region or do you have to pick 1? I feel like knowing how these are set up you can mix, but forcing players to choose Splatfest style would be neater. Still interested in competing though.
Nevermind. I sat down and thought about it and realized this means a Tapu and Ultra Beast dominated format. Definitely not fun at all. They should have banned a lot more Pokémon.

And it's a shame the Battle Agency is so bad. I really wanted a factory, but just flat out refuse to use this poor excuse. Festival Plaza was a huge mistake and I hope it doesn't plague the Switch games. Bring back PSS; the Switch has enough screen real estate that you could easily implement a new version of it.

Last edited:

Zellia

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I kinda get the feeling that Switch won't have either PSS or Plaza, they'll think up some new gimmicky way of making basic online functionality 'fun'.

I hope I'm wrong and they do bring back the PSS though.

Deleted member 9971

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Incaneroar's Darkest Lariat move reminds me alot of Crash Bandicoot in a way lol, the Spin really does look simular to Crashes one.

By the way how is that move called that shoots his belt out? I don't have that one yet.

Just beat the ghost trial, now trying to catch a Mimikyu.

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017
Just reached Poni Island, and basically this is the point where having 12 battle ready pokemon is becoming unsustainable, i'll need to choose a team to stick with until end game now and im having a hard time choosing, they're all my babies! D:

Spinosaurus

Oct 25, 2017
Incaneroar's Darkest Lariat move reminds me alot of Crash Bandicoot in a way lol, the Spin really does look simular to Crashes one.

By the way how is that move called that shoots his belt out? I don't have that one yet.

Just beat the ghost trial, now trying to catch a Mimikyu.
That's just its animation for when it uses special attack. Flamethrower I guess is the canon move though lol.

Deleted member 9971

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's just its animation for when it uses special attack. Flamethrower I guess is the canon move though lol.
I see thanks! Was wondering if i was missing a exclusive move or something lol, did not know it was something that simple:P

You can get the totem one at 80 stickers.
Cool, haven't really started collecting them but surely will look out for them now. Mimikyu is one of my most favorite new pokemon this gen and overall. Will surely get that totem in my team.

Jester37

Oct 25, 2017
I am struggling so much with my run that I NEED to re-work my team. It's currently Salamence, Ribombee, and Glaceon. Yeah I know my team's really bad, but we've managed most situations fairly well...until I got to Poni. Between the trainers of Vast Poni Canyon, the Totem battle, Legendary battles, and even Mina's trial, Ribombee and Glaceon have become dead weight due to so many weakness and/or how frail they are. May end up grabbing some mons from Bank and cheese the last bit of the game.

Ravidrath

Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I probably know the answer to this, but I wonder if Game Freak has any plans to update the Pokemon available in the Ultra Wormholes at any point.

I suppose it's possible that there is an internal mechanism to cycle them, but I think that would've been discovered by now if so? There are a lot of unobtainable Pokemon still, so there's room to do so.

With only 20 Pokemon available in them, just seems like the marketplace is going to get absolutely flooded with those shinies.

I mean, I've already got two shiny Sigilyphs and one Barbacle.

Related: Would love to trade a shiny Timid Sigilyph for a shiny Altaria, Lombre, Nuzleaf, or Abomasnow. Preferably with a good nature.

Oct 26, 2017
I am struggling so much with my run that I NEED to re-work my team. It's currently Salamence, Ribombee, and Glaceon. Yeah I know my team's really bad, but we've managed most situations fairly well...until I got to Poni. Between the trainers of Vast Poni Canyon, the Totem battle, Legendary battles, and even Mina's trial, Ribombee and Glaceon have become dead weight due to so many weakness and/or how frail they are. May end up grabbing some mons from Bank and cheese the last bit of the game.

It's good to hear that the game gets harder.

It's probably due to bank or Isle level up but I have a ton of pokemon that seem overpowered for where I am on the third island.

But yeah use bank, it definitely adds some variety.

Edit:
We can get a Surfing Pikachu? Can I evolve it and breed it? I would love a new Raichu with fake out and surf!

Oct 29, 2017
USA
Battle Agency is pretty fun. I just got to Grade 10 and apparently I have to contend with constant weather conditions now. I had to fight Giovanni as a boss to get past Grade 9 and he had an Arcanine that did me in twice before I was victorious. Thankfully the enemies don't change until a completed challenge or the next day, so I was able to tailor my team better for the third try.

However, I am running into a wall. Most other players are at Grade 0 or nothing at all. I assume a large number of the latter are regular SM players. Maybe it will get better as more players reach the post-game, but I believe it will still be a constant problem.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Once I get the Battle Agency I'm interested in starting a thread to get together serious players.

Deleted member 3815

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Caught a new member of my team, Sandygast and I love the little guy.

This also means that I had to say goodbye to Zorroark, he may have confused me at times with his ability but he was a fun Pokémon to use.

I kinda get the feeling that Switch won't have either PSS or Plaza, they'll think up some new gimmicky way of making basic online functionality 'fun'.

I hope I'm wrong and they do bring back the PSS though.

Well whatever they use for gen 8, I sure as hope that Game Freak remember to make the tutorial for it optional for the players.

I know that feeling, so many Pokémon but only 6 slots.

Which is why I pre-plan my team as I don't having a team that is 3x weak to one type.

Deleted member 3815

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
GF seems to be moving toward "cinematic" single player stuff

This actually worries me a bit as it feels like that over time Game Freak will strip out the gameplay element and the series will no longer feel like a Pokémon game. It's already bad enough that trainers in gen 7 were so few and only carried 1-2 Pokémon, with Ultra Sun and Moon not fixing that problem.

Gen 5 was story driven but yeah still managed to feel more like a Pokémon game than gen 7.

Ravidrath

Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
This actually worries me a bit as it feels like that over time Game Freak will strip out the gameplay element and the series will no longer feel like a Pokémon game. It's already bad enough that trainers in gen 7 were so few and only carried 1-2 Pokémon, with Ultra Sun and Moon not fixing that problem.

Gen 5 was story driven but yeah still managed to feel more like a Pokémon game than gen 7.

Fixing the number of Pokemon the trainers have isn't a trivial thing, even if it seems like it. Because the real issue there is how quickly you get Exp.

Catching Pokemon and fighting only trainers, my team of traded mons was always right at or just above the control cutoff on every island. And adding more Pokemon means more exp., which means that I'd have completely lost control of my team if I'd fought everyone.

So while I get what you're going for, I think the exp. curve with the current number of Pokemon is near-perfect. And to accommodate more Pokemon from trainers they'd need to completely change the exp. system. Which, arguably, could also make it feel more like a grind.

And as much as I like BW2, going back and playing them after G7 felt like a real slog, exp-wise.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Fixing the number of Pokemon the trainers have isn't a trivial thing, even if it seems like it. Because the real issue there is how quickly you get Exp.

Catching Pokemon and fighting only trainers, my team of traded mons was always right at or just above the control cutoff on every island. And adding more Pokemon means more exp., which means that I'd have completely lost control of my team if I'd fought everyone.

So while I get what you're going for, I think the exp. curve with the current number of Pokemon is near-perfect. And to accommodate more Pokemon from trainers they'd need to completely change the exp. system. Which, arguably, could also make it feel more like a grind.

And as much as I like BW2, going back and playing them after G7 felt like a real slog, exp-wise.

So instead of having a pathway of 5 team skull grunts with 1 pokemon each, have 3 with 2-3 pokemon at least
This was a real situation that happened in S/M and it really stood out for me

whats the purpose of having so many filler npc battles?

Lusamine

Oct 25, 2017
1 Pokémon trainers are the best. The way to execute difficulty from random trainers is having them as high level as possible and not allow free switches with Switch mode.

Ravidrath

Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
So instead of having a pathway of 5 team skull grunts with 1 pokemon each, have 3 with 2-3 pokemon at least
This was a real situation that happened in S/M and it really stood out for me

whats the purpose of having so many filler npc battles?

It's a fair point, but I think they see value in the pacing / tension of going up against a whole bunch of guys instead of just one or two big ones.

Definitely makes it feel like you're taking on a gang instead, at the very least.

Crayolan

Oct 25, 2017
If trainer team sizes increased as you got farther in the game, it'd completely kill the game's pacing. Regular trainers having small teams for the best. The problem is that all random trainers have small teams. There are like, 3 or 4 non-boss trainers in the game with more than 3 pokemon, and that includes postgame. While it's good that the majority of trainers have small teams, there should be occasional, optional trainers with larger, tougher teams. I feel like this is what the Z trainers were supposed to be, but those guys still only ever have 2 pokemon for some reason. BW2 probably handled this best, where Veterans were usually hidden behind optional HM usage scattered around the region and these guys used tougher theme teams with 5 pokemon. If you beat them you often got a TM they were guarding.

For bosses though there's no excuse for team sizes to not keep increasing as you get farther in the game. There needs to be more bosses with teams of 5 prior to the E4.

Catching Pokemon and fighting only trainers, my team of traded mons was always right at or just above the control cutoff on every island..

The irony is this is a problem created by the exp share. It's impossible to balance the games around having a permanent 3.5x exp multiplier unless they're willing to let trainer levels reach the 90s by postgame.

Jester37

Oct 25, 2017
Banked some mons over from Sun. Team is now:
Salamence 61
Pyroar 70
Gastrodon 50
Tsareena 55
Lucario 58
Florges 50

Feel like I'm cheating lol.

BlakeofT

Oct 30, 2017
Edit 2: Finally got it done. I thought you had to trade the damn thing haha.

Edit: Actually, I can evolve a sneasel on Ultra Sun. Anyone willing to help?

Anyone with a copy of X or Y willing to help me evolve my sneasel?

Last edited:

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
If trainer team sizes increased as you got farther in the game, it'd completely kill the game's pacing. Regular trainers having small teams for the best. The problem is that all random trainers have small teams. There are like, 3 or 4 non-boss trainers in the game with more than 3 pokemon, and that includes postgame. While it's good that the majority of trainers have small teams, there should be occasional, optional trainers with larger, tougher teams. I feel like this is what the Z trainers were supposed to be, but those guys still only ever have 2 pokemon for some reason. BW2 probably handled this best, where Veterans were usually hidden behind optional HM usage scattered around the region and these guys used tougher theme teams with 5 pokemon. If you beat them you often got a TM they were guarding.

For bosses though there's no excuse for team sizes to not keep increasing as you get farther in the game. There needs to be more bosses with teams of 5 prior to the E4.
I feel like the game needed a Victory Road, a real one. Just an ending area filled with puzzles and strong trainers before the E4. I think that would have helped a lot.

I will say that I really liked the route kahunas though. They either used unique moves or strategies that you'd normally only see in post-game multiplayer situations.

Oct 26, 2017
I think the real issue for me with trainers having one Pokemon is there's no reason to think about using Z moves.

Every fight I've been able to just mindlessly use my Stoutland's breakneck blitz and win instantly. Having trainers with more than one Pokemon should've been a no brainer considering how hard the game pushes you to use the different Z moves.