• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DPT120

Oct 27, 2017
is mimikyu really worth it, being a physical attacker with a limited moveset really killed my interest in it
Mimikyu's moveset is enough to give it a decent moveset. A typical Mimikyu is Wood Hammer/Shadow Claw/Play Rough/Swords Dance. Disguise is also a nice ability to help Mimikyu set up.

Charlie0108

Oct 29, 2017
Beat Necrozma earlier at the first attempt, mainly thanks to my Alolan Muk. I tried to Toxic it using Alolan Golem thinking it might tank a hit but nope, 1 shot by Photon Geyser. Muk could take a Dragon Pulse which allowed me to get a Crunch off which also handily lowered its defence. Then Decidueye hit it with a Sucker Punch before also being one-shot. Alolan Ninetales acted as a sacrifice to revive Alolan Muk which took it down to red with another Crunch, but luckily Poison Touch came into play (that ability is seriously amazing by the way, kicked in all the time) and that was enough to kill it.

Sölf

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Araquanid has Leech Life for self healing (and for huge damage at that point in the game) and Aurora Beam for countering Dartrix and other Flying types.
It holds a Wacan berry for weakening electric damage. Its strategy focuses on outspeeding your pokemon, getting a +2 speed boost off the bat, having its partner Dewpider use Spider Web, and its partner Masquerain use Stun Spore/Tailwind/Scary Face.
Ah, so it really was just due to the fact that it could basically 1 turn each of my team members that it basically only used that. And well, I didn't see Masquerain. xD

Axe

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
Holy fuck at the
Totem Raticate rematch. All stats +2 and holding a Chople berry.
I wasn't expecting that at all. Guess it makes up for being such a joke early on in the game.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The more I've been using Inkay who I picked up as filler the more I realize I enjoy the game when I don't fret so much over team construction...usually with the second version I'd breed a specific team to use from the beginning.

I think I'll ditch my idea to go with Alola Formes and just pick up a Pokemon on each island that interests me which I've never used, regardless of Generation. Besides Popplio and Grimer that's Inkay from Alola, so now one from Akala, one from UlaUla, and one from Poni.

Wish Oddish was in the game, always wanted to use that line and it'd be a good choice if it popped up in Akala to take on Olivia.

PancakeFlip

Oct 26, 2017
The more I've been using Inkay who I picked up as filler the more I realize I enjoy the game when I don't fret so much over team construction...usually with the second version I'd breed a specific team to use from the beginning.

I think I'll ditch my idea to go with Alola Formes and just pick up a Pokemon on each island that interests me which I've never used, regardless of Generation. Besides Popplio and Grimer that's Inkay from Alola, so now one from Akala, one from UlaUla, and one from Poni.

Wish Oddish was in the game, always wanted to use that line and it'd be a good choice if it popped up in Akala to take on Olivia.

Just go on GTS and type in an oddish and offer up anything.

As an aside I kind of wish with the alternate timeline deminsion thing they would just retcon certain evolutions, like all of Evees lines use stones, shiny for Sylpheon, Leafstone for Leafeon, Ice Stone for Glaceon, Moon for Umbreon, Sun for Espeon. And whatever convoluted methods that require them to have certain enviornments always present in each generation. Maybe rewrite some of the mega evolutions for things like Sabeleye and make them real evos.

Reading some of the interviews it ALMOST feels like Mega Evolution was a regrettable feature, as they sounded like they felt it was unfair how some mons got it and others didn't so they went with Z-moves as a more broad way to power up all monsters. I wonder in Mega Evos was more of a not completely thought out feature (as in where would it go in a long lasting sense) that was more showing them trying to shake up the Pokemon formula that was critiscized as becoming very stale at the time.

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
I think the issue with Mega Evolution is that it takes a certain amount of control out of the player's hands when it comes to team building. You generally want to have a Mega on your team, but you also want to be able to make a team of your favorites. Those two things could be opposed to each other.

I'd say that a bunch of the Megas they put into the game were necessary to make certain Pokemon more viable in the metagame, and to open up new strategies for their use, but it's also limiting in a way that Z-moves aren't.

I think having both be available is a good thing since Z-moves allow them to balance Megas out, which they frankly needed to do given how broken stuff like Mega Kangaskhan could be.

Megas also broke single player in a way that Z-moves didn't.

The two can definitely co-exist, even in the campaign, it's just a matter of planning on GameFreak's part. For example, make Z-moves available in the early-game and Megas available in the very late-game (I'd say between the 6th and 8th badges in terms of timing).

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
Question (still don't buy the game)

Is there a way to evolve pokemon into their original Kanto form? For example, Pikachu into Kanto Raichu instead of Alolan Raichu.

Caz

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Getting an SOS Pokémon to not kill itself via Jump/High Jump Kick is proving itself to be infuriating. Any suggestions?

Spinosaurus

Oct 25, 2017
Getting an SOS Pokémon to not kill itself via Jump/High Jump Kick is proving itself to be infuriating. Any suggestions?
Can you use a Pokemon with No Guard? Doublade has that ability and can learn False Swipe to start a chain.

EDIT: Wait, it's a Ghost Type lol. You can use the other Pokemon with that ability then though you need another Pokemon with False Swipe to start chains.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
My Akala Pokemon ended up being Mareep, decided to go with it---evolved into a Flaafy like right away. Kind of don't wanna evolve it into Ampharos due to its design, but I need that stat boost to take on the end-game lol.

Gravity prevents those two moves from being used. Necrozma learns it, so if you've caught him. The only other Alola option is Probopass? But it's a Move Tutor in USUM and a lot of Pokemon can learn it.

Deleted member 9971

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If i trade my Necrozma and Lunala from my normal Moon copy after i beat Ultra Sun and got those legends. Can i fuse that second Necrozma and Lunala together so that i can have both Solgaleo and Lunala Necrozma fusions in Ultra Sun?

Or is it item related like the Gen V fusions? (black/white 2)

wiill64

Oct 30, 2017
If i trade my Necrozma and Lunala from my normal Moon copy after i beat Ultra Sun and got those legends. Can i fuse that second Necrozma and Lunala together so that i can have both Solgaleo and Lunala Necrozma fusions in Ultra Sun?

Or is it item related like the Gen V fusions? (black/white 2)

It's item related but you get both items in the game at the same time

Deleted member 9714

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Got the stamp for Super Doubles. I think I'll give Super Singles a go so I can try and farm some good AI partners for Super Multi. My team was Togedemaru, Salamence, Kartana, and Clawitzer. The move tutors in this game are nice. Super Fang was really useful — and the way the AI has no understanding of Lightning Rod is hilarious. All it needs now is a special version of Nuzzle.

For all the previous versions of this facility I just used a second 3DS; this time I'll have to actually rely on the AI.

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
I think I have a couple LV 50 Salazzle codes from GameStop (I think) that I'm going to give out in a couple of hours if anyone wants one. I'll just put them under a quoted post.

It's not much and I don't know if they are available to unlock in US/UM's Mystery Gift or if they are only available through Sun and Moon's Mystery Gift but I know for sure that they still work since I used one a couple of days ago.

MegaRockEXE

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Yes, speaking of the Salazzle codes, I also have a couple of those left over. They expire December, I think. I also have 2 Target Charizards and 1 Marshadow code cards as well.

Crayolan

Oct 25, 2017
Guzzlord was a pain in the ass to find, but it was worth it. Coolest ultra beast dimension of them all. Pheromosa's dimension was also a stand out.

On an unrelated note, it seems like Battle Tree (non-super) Singles don't level you down to 50 for some reason? Wonder if that's an oversight by the devs or they just wanted to make it really easy.

Zellia

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
On an unrelated note, it seems like Battle Tree (non-super) Singles don't level you down to 50 for some reason? Wonder if that's an oversight by the devs or they just wanted to make it really easy.
It apparently also allows box legends and mythicals so it seems deliberate. Normal Battle Tree is harder than the normal versions of past facilities and it was probably the easiest way to nerf the difficulty.

Blade24070

Oct 26, 2017
Ughh I haven't been playing this and stupid YouTube spoiled something about the E4 for me. :( not a big deal to most people but it is to me

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Trials 2 , 3 and 4 beaten, my team now is Lucina the Torracat, Ophelia the Araquanid, Effie the Mudbray and Lyndis the Steenee.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Rotom's extra-talkative personality changes didn't bother me too much during the game progression. It was definitely annoying and obtrusive but it wasn't the worst.

But revisiting old areas makes Rotom talk constantly. It will give the same advice repeatedly, over and over, within only a couple minute's time. Breeding is unreal because Rotom says "this is the part I give you advice you didn't ask for." I saw that image during the leak and thought it was fake but it's actually in the game! Rotom never stops talking. You can change your passport photo! There's a restaurant that gives presents after dining! Over and over and over.

I don't know what triggers Rotom to talk but it's killing me. Rotom is one of my favorite Pokémon and I liked Rotom Dex in the base game but this is egregious.

Echo

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Mt. Whatever
I picked up Ultra Moon because I'm a night person and it would be daytime in-game for UM when I'm up to play. But looking at it now, Ultra Sun has the more interesting Totem and Exclusive Pokemon imo.

RIP me. :( I'll persevere though, there tons more Pokemon to make a decent party from!

Zellia

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Rotom's extra-talkative personality changes didn't bother me too much during the game progression. It was definitely annoying and obtrusive but it wasn't the worst.

But revisiting old areas makes Rotom talk constantly. It will give the same advice repeatedly, over and over, within only a couple minute's time. Breeding is unreal because Rotom says "this is the part I give you advice you didn't ask for." I saw that image during the leak and thought it was fake but it's actually in the game! Rotom never stops talking. You can change your passport photo! There's a restaurant that gives presents after dining! Over and over and over.

I don't know what triggers Rotom to talk but it's killing me. Rotom is one of my favorite Pokémon and I liked Rotom Dex in the base game but this is egregious.
The 'here's advice you never asked for' shtick is really irritating and wears out its welcome very quickly. It'd be more annoying if the bottom screen was used for anything bar the map and Roto Loto though.

1000% H

Oct 25, 2017
I had Rotom tell me to dig into my bag for some healing items 3 seconds after getting my team restored by an NPC.

Deleted member 9971

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I picked up Ultra Moon because I'm a night person and it would be daytime in-game for UM when I'm up to play. But looking at it now, Ultra Sun has the more interesting Totem and Exclusive Pokemon imo.

RIP me. :( I'll persevere though, there tons more Pokemon to make a decent party from!

Try trading the totems for Ultra Sun ones after you got em same for version exclusives at the GTS.

You should be able to get em that way easily if needed. And sometimes people offer up pokemon for the dumbest things. Altho those might be hacked ones tho.

Deleted member 3815

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yesterday I was playing Ultra Moon and I legit had a moment in the game that nearly made me not wanna play it anymore.

I was on Route 8 and then just as I was walking towards the Pokémon center, I bump into Hau and he starts talking about the Festival Plaza then this random stupid woman butt in and says "hey you haven't used it" and warps me to the festival plaza, which I was avoiding as I didn't want to do the stupid tutorial but nope game was like fuck you.

It's so stupid because Game Freak forced tutorial grinded my adventure into a halt till I did the tutorial despite me saying no to Sophocles' question in regard if I was interested or not but yet I can say no to the tutorial for the QR scanner.

In other news I did the fire trial, meh it was lame in Sun and Moon and it's still lame now.

I had Rotom tell me to dig into my bag for some healing items 3 seconds after getting my team restored by an NPC.

I had him telling me that I should heal my Pokémon when it was just one Pokémon that wasn't at full health but still fighting fit and I was actually on my way to heal anyway.

Last edited:

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
The interruptions in the base games didn't bother me. I liked the characters and I liked the story and I was along for the ride.

But the Ultra games, I don't know, they feel even more segmented and truncated than Sun & Moon were. Maybe it's just because it's my second time through or maybe there's just more interruptions (like Rotom, which we've discussed). But it appears my tolerance for this has been lowered.

It wouldn't be so bad if the game didn't fade to black for everything. Missing animations, a change of camera angles, the end of a conversation, everything. It's like the game is blinking.

I don't dislike the content but the presentation is wearing on me.

Deleted member 3815

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The interruptions in the base games didn't bother me. I liked the characters and I liked the story and I was along for the ride.

But the Ultra games, I don't know, they feel even more segmented and truncated than Sun & Moon were. Maybe it's just because it's my second time through or maybe there's just more interruptions (like Rotom, which we've discussed). But it appears my tolerance for this has been lowered.

It wouldn't be so bad if the game didn't fade to black for everything. Missing animations, a change of camera angles, the end of a conversation, everything. It's like the game is blinking.

I don't dislike the content but the presentation is wearing on me.

That's how I feel as well and honestly I am approaching Ultra Sun and Moon a lot more differently than I did with Sun and Moon as I am seeing how Ultra Sun and Moon act as an expansion to Sun and Moon and whether taking the third version route over a sequel route was the right choice. But I am also comparing Ultra Sun and Moon against the other third version and how it acts as a send off letter for not only gen 7 but for the Pokémon series on the handheld.

So far it isn't looking good in all front.