• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 29, 2017
USA
The legend of Hau's Raichu lives on. I had to use a Rock Z-Move with Dusk Lycanroc to kill him in one hit before he could wipe my party. His Vaporeon was no joke either.

At least they had the decency to let you save and possibly grind before that battle now. In S/M, you had to fight him immediately after the Aether Paradise scenes when you got to Ula'ula.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't catch any pokemon yet and Hala dumb makuhita and crabrawler maneaged to KO me with sand attack and power-up punch.
Managed to hit the seconde island, really liked mantine surfing it is one the things I think pokemon should have more, intercations with pokemon beyond battling, SM already did that with riding pokemons but Mantine Surfing is beyond that. So far it has been a better experience than the usual 3rd versions.
In other news Lucina(Torracat) is now lv 22.

Lebon30

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
While farming for A Litten that has a +Sp.Atk nature (blame most fire-type moves being Special), the game somehow HARD-crashed twice over here. Yes, I have to force closing the 3DS down and re-open the game; otherwise it just sits on a black screen; on a transition between two scenes. Oh and, still haven't found said Litten.

FSLink

Oct 25, 2017
I'm more thinking about the moves I can learn on the way than the viability of Hydropump. I just want to know if I'm missing anything good by evolving or not evolving before level 48.
Unless you're doing it for the challenge, no. You get moves earlier, but the base stats of an evolution are higher and you'll have an easier time going through the game.

Exceptions are stuff like Shroomish/Breloom (since Shroomish learns Spore at a high level but Breloom does not) and stone evolutions.

Ravidrath

Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Question about US/UM and Bank...

If I transfer things from S/M to US/UM through Bank, will I be able to transfer them back to S/M? Excluding the new Pokemon and forms.

Mostly wondering for the purposes of EV training things with new egg moves, etc. via the PokePelago glitch, using my Bottle Caps, etc.

Mega Man Zero

Oct 27, 2017
Unless you're doing it for the challenge, no. You get moves earlier, but the base stats of an evolution are higher and you'll have an easier time going through the game.

Exceptions are stuff like Shroomish/Breloom (since Shroomish learns Spore at a high level but Breloom does not) and stone evolutions.

Well, what I'm trying to do is learn as many moves as possible, so that I can pick and choose later on.

FSLink

Oct 25, 2017
Question about US/UM and Bank...

If I transfer things from S/M to US/UM through Bank, will I be able to transfer them back to S/M? Excluding the new Pokemon and forms.

Mostly wondering for the purposes of EV training things with new egg moves, etc. via the PokePelago glitch, using my Bottle Caps, etc.
Yeah you can transfer them back and forth outside of some of the new totems and stuff.

Well, what I'm trying to do is learn as many moves as possible, so that I can pick and choose later on.

In general it's better to try to pick them ahead of time, and just go with whatever you need during the main game, slowly replacing the moves with your "final" moveset. Or just experiment throughout the main game and if you want something back, get some Heart Scales and relearn the move.

Ravidrath

Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA

Heart scales at the end of the game pretty much completely eliminate the need to do anything like this. You'll be able to select from all the moves the Pokemon can learn, regardless of the level of your Pokemon or the level they learn them at.

Yeah you can transfer them back and forth outside of some of the new totems and stuff.

Thanks for the quick reply.

Wasn't sure if Move Tutors, etc. would interfere with that, either, since I can see GameFreak being extremely rigid with transfers like that.

Deleted member 3815

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Made it to Akala Island...why is Dexio and Sina still have their stupid face appearing in the game? I mean it made sense in Sun and Moon as that's where you got the Zygarde cube but in this case all you get is a Full Restore.

They should have been written out in favour for a Gen 7 captain, maybe I dunno Kahili could have gotten fleshed out a but? Just a thought Game Freak considering that Ultra Sun and Moon is suppose to be a send off letter to gen 7.

Anyway I defeated their stupid face in and my Litten evolved in the fight, currently still rocking;

-Charmeleon,
-Torracat,
-Zoura
-Cutiefly

I am about to get my fifth and sixth member of the team soon and even then I will eventually get another member before leaving Akala Island replacing Zoura.

While I am having fun with the game and I am enjoying the improvement they did with Hau's team, local trainers however still suffer from only carrying 1 or 2 Pokémon

Crayolan

Oct 25, 2017
Beat the legendary fight. That thing was like a JRPG final boss lol. Could OHKO and outspeed my entire team even after being paralyzed, so I can see people struggling with it.

Current Team:
Malamar Lv. 45
Mawile Lv. 45
Golisopod Lv. 45
Primarina Lv. 45
Banette Lv. 47
Lycanroc (Midnight) Lv. 48

gaiadyne

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Beat the legendary fight. That thing was like a JRPG final boss lol. Could OHKO and outspeed my entire team even after being paralyzed, so I can see people struggling with it.

Current Team:
Malamar Lv. 45
Mawile Lv. 45
Golisopod Lv. 45
Primarina Lv. 45
Banette Lv. 47
Lycanroc (Midnight) Lv. 48
I keep hearing about this legendary fight... I hope it doesn't end my Nuzlocke

Jester37

Oct 25, 2017
Literally saved up all of my current money just to spend 90% of it on clothing. Fashion is important after all.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
You know, using Mimikyu, it has to be one of the most unsettling Pokemon in the series.

Something about the little "pop" as its neck snaps and how its Z-Move is kind of creepy. It also never shows any emotion. It seems like it could snap and murder my entire team while they sleep because I was showing too much affection to one of my other Pokemon. Also teaching it Leech Life just makes it even creepier.

I got the same vibe from Bewear when I played Moon last year and used it, but Mimikyu is a bit more...

My team is like some kind of anti-hero team. This isn't the team of someone who is a good person saving the world lol

Incineroar
Mimikyu
A Persian
A Ninetales
Lycanroc Dusk
Vikavolt

And then Lillie says stuff about how awesome my Mimikyu is, and I think how it would end very badly if she tried to touch him.

Anyway, I'm at Poni Canyon, and I'm 15 levels above everything, so I'm just coasting along. The game isn't really made for you to go and try to do most side quests before moving on, you end up way over leveled. I remember Moon being way harder in places. Maybe my Moon team was just junk. Vikavolt and Mimikyu kind of clean up everything, I didn't really have anyone like that in Moon.

MexM

One Winged Slayer
Nov 10, 2017
As someone who didn't complete X and skipped ORAS and SunMoon, I'm liking this so far (Ultra Moon). Rowlet's my starter~ Looking forward to the new changes (UI looks great)

Deleted member 3815

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You know I though playing with the NPC Pokémon would be dumb but I kinda like it, especially with moments like Slowpoke actually being slow or seeing Miltank waddle around as she tries to follow you.

Also how come Hau gets to have his Pokémon out and follow him but I can't, what is this nonsense Game Freak?

The Pokémon following you feature better return in gen 8 and be a series staple...but also give player the choice if they don't want to do that.

Dexio and Sina still have a role to play.

Like hell they do, those two loser can bugger off to their own third game.

Literally saved up all of my current money just to spend 90% of it on clothing. Fashion is important after all.

I just brought a T-shirt but then I was like "nah I like the blue one more" only to replace it with a free Pikachu T-shirt because I like the look of it and I wanted my character to dress differently than he did in Moon. :|

At least I am not hurting to bad for money but still that was a waste.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
I just made my character look like a dork. Tacky hawaii print shirt, khaki shorts, fedora, goofy white shoes, he's got it all. Pretty hilarious to see the dweeb in cutscenes.

tenderbrew

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Just finished third island rolling with this crew:

Whimwam - 47 Vikavolt
Sizzleboi - 46 Incineroar
Anchovy - 46 Wishiwashi
Smokey - 43 Alolan Persian
Whoopsie - 43 Mr. Mime
Slippery - 38 Ninetails (new addition)

Think we set until end of game IMO.

robotzombie

Oct 25, 2017
Two questions:

1. How do you find battles in berry trees? Can you save scum it?

2. When you trade NPCs, does the pokemon you get always have a set nature?

Edit: Oh, actually one more, is there a way to get Cubchoo in this game?

Mega Man Zero

Oct 27, 2017
Both Pokemon Bank and Transporter suck. I have to go into the VC game, move the Pokemon to box 1, go into Transporter, move 1 box, go into Bank, move Pokemon from transport box into a regular box, repeat. Pokemon Bank doesn't even support the touchscreen and has no sorting options. I'm so glad they'll be forced to make a new app for Switch.

turbocats

Oct 26, 2017
If anyone can trade Stakataka, Poipole, the Poipole evo, and/or Blacephalon, I will trade you whatever you require. I can do tradebacks, even. Just want the shiny charm early. Name your price and PM me!

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
Current team heading to 2nd grand trial
Torracat -25
Zorua - 22
Lopunny - 23
Diglett - 22
Fomantis - 21
Rufflet - 23

I also learned the huge glaring problem in my team when I fought a Clampearl, not one pokemon on my team has a special attack, all moves are physical.

MegaRockEXE

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Two questions:

1. How do you find battles in berry trees? Can you save scum it?

2. When you trade NPCs, does the pokemon you get always have a set nature?

Edit: Oh, actually one more, is there a way to get Cubchoo in this game?
I can only answer for the first one. Berry piles are predetermined to have battles on them when they generate for the day. If one has a battle, you can even run away from it and the battle will still be there.

Jester37

Oct 25, 2017
Just beat Olivia. Ironically, Ribombee and Glaceon were the ones who won it for me. Team right now is:

Glaceon - 28
Ribombee - 33
Shelgon - 32

Obviously unbalanced, but somehow we've managed to pull through a majority of circumstances. Still should find some other team members.

Edit: I'm dumb and forgot about BP moves. Glaceon could have had Water Pulse for quite some time now.

GuitarGuruu

Oct 26, 2017
About to take on the second Kahuna, the totems haven't been too tricky so far. Love my team.

Torracat Lv 26
Pikachu Lv 25
Oricorio Lv 25
Araquanid Lv 24
Stenee Lv 22

Deleted member 15457

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You know, for all the criticism Alola gets for its road-blocking and handhold-y nature, I like how they implemented ride Pokemon, particularly surfing. As soon as you get Lapras, a whole bunch of previously inaccessible areas open up including Kala'e bay AKA Bagon with reasonable encounter rates. To my knowledge, this area is completely optional and nothing forces you there.

Even though the opened up content is mostly just TM hunting as opposed to extra areas, I think it's still a step up from Kalos. It's been a while since I've played X and Y but I don't remember that game incentivizing returning to previously explored locations that much at all.

I don't mind the linear progression path at all as long as there's extra side areas to explore and you're given reasons like TMs or Pokemon to revisit routes.

Magic Kaito

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Played a bit today, and I'm sorry if I got anyone's hopes up when I said in another topic that cutscenes are apparently handled better in this installment. I'm a few hours in now and that clearly isn't the case. True, you get your starter faster, but the constant interruptions persist throughout the first island just like in S/M. Seriously frustrating.

On a positive note, Mantine surf is pretty cool, and the possible interactions with that Rockruff was a nice little touch.

MegaRockEXE

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
You know, for all the criticism Alola gets for its road-blocking and handhold-y nature, I like how they implemented ride Pokemon, particularly surfing. As soon as you get Lapras, a whole bunch of previously inaccessible areas open up including Kala'e bay AKA Bagon with reasonable encounter rates. To my knowledge, this area is completely optional and nothing forces you there.
The game basically told you where to look this time though. I did not find out about that area in my playthrough of Sun until after I beat the game, I think. That's also where you discover the first bottle quest.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
I got absolutely destroyed by Hau on the 3rd island. Half my team is way too squishy at the moment, plus being low level for this point allowed him to easily beat me. I didn't even see his full team. At least it still lets me continue lol.

MexM

One Winged Slayer
Nov 10, 2017
hOLY CRAP I JUST GOT MY FIRST SHINY EVER

It's a Caterpie omg

Crayolan

Oct 25, 2017
Entering the Pokemon League. Current Team is:

Malamar Lv. 49
Mawile Lv. 50
Golisopod Lv. 50
Primarina Lv. 51
Banette Lv. 52
Lycanroc (Midnight) Lv. 52

E4 in SM was pretty tough so I'm expecting this to be even harder.

It's really obvious Hau is the champion.

Mega Man Zero

Oct 27, 2017
So, there are kids playing Pokemon on 3DS inside the game. Are they playing with real Pokemon or videogame Pokemon? If Pokemon turn into light, to be stored digitally in PCs, then I guess it would make sense if they could also be used in videogames in this world.