• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MegaRockEXE

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
I just made it to Ten Carat Hill.
My first encounter in the outdoor area is a Spinda. That was the last Pokemon I needed to finish the Dex in the original Sun. Probably because no trainer used one and they were really rare. It helps they removed Carbink from that area, I guess.
And finally, Sableye and Mawile, together at last.

FSLink

Oct 25, 2017
wow...Kiawe's trial wrecked me...
maybe i need to switch our some 'mons.

Right now I have
Dartrix Lvl.27
Litwick Lvl.25
Larvitar Lvl.24
Rockruff (Event) Lvl.24
Inkay Lvl.24
Charjabug Lvl.23

Keeping Rockruff until I get him to evolve, which will be in about 3 hours from now
not sure who I want now. maybe need some kind of Water-type.
Maybe switch our Litwick for a different dual-Fire type, since Decidueye would take care of Ghost-typing in the future

Can always grab a female Salandit while you're there.

GuitarGuruu

Oct 26, 2017
My first encounter in the outdoor area is a Spinda. That was the last Pokemon I needed to finish the Dex in the original Sun. Probably because no trainer used one and they were really rare. It helps they removed Carbink from that area, I guess.

I found a Carbink in Ten Carot Hill last night actually.

PKthndr

Oct 25, 2017
I shut exp share off immediately and the challenge is there. I'm stuck on the fire totem rn.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States

I can't believe you made it through Ten Carat Hill and DIDN'T find a Carbink. I don't know what the encounter rate is I found them every few steps. The only way I caught a Sableye was as an SOS call from Carbink.

Crayolan

Oct 25, 2017
Beat the Ghost Totem. Nice to see one of the more challenging totems from SM get even tougher.

My current team:
Lycanroc (Midnight) Lv. 33
Golisopod Lv. 33
Malamar Lv. 34
Mawile Lv. 34
Primarina Lv. 35

Still haven't found a 6th team member which really spoke to me in the wild. Though if the next totem sticker reward is what I think it is I may just go with that.

ahdurian

Oct 25, 2017
Can always grab a female Salandit while you're there.

was thinking that.
either Salazzle with Fire/Poison or Talonflame with Fire/Flying
still debating which I want more

still need to check Serebii what Water dual-types are available so I can fill in the spot Rockruff is currently taking

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
Oh wow, I haven't even gotten to the electric totem yet, and my guys are the same level as you, for the most part.

Incineroar
Lycanroc Dusk
A Persian
A Dugtrio
Charjabug (about to evolve in approximately 5 minutes)
Araquanid

Other than Araquanid, everyone is in the mid/upper 30s. Araquanid is only that low because I just caught him in the park at 28, but he's already 31

Makes it seem like I'm way over leveled

Jester37

Oct 25, 2017
Oh my goodness, I'm just trying to capture stuff yet Ribombee keeps getting critical hits and KO-ing stuff. This innocent looking cutie is a cold-blooded killer.

Cjdamon042

Oct 28, 2017
Edinburgh
Holy crap, that Totem Lurantis...

Toughest Pokémon battle I've had in a long long time. Was not expecting it to be difficult. Between Comfey's Flower Shield and Sunny Days, Kecleon's too, and Lurantis' Synthesis, it was a prolonged battle for sure, even with them being paralysed.

Crayolan

Oct 25, 2017
Oh wow, I haven't even gotten to the electric totem yet, and my guys are the same level as you, for the most part.

Incineroar
Lycanroc Dusk
A Persian
A Dugtrio
Charjabug (about to evolve in approximately 5 minutes)
Araquanid

Other than Araquanid, everyone is in the mid/upper 30s. Araquanid is only that low because I just caught him in the park at 28, but he's already 31

Makes it seem like I'm way over leveled

Well I turned off the exp share immediately and I never fight wild battles. I still catch pokemon not yet in my dex but if I already have something I always run away.

The game makes it really easy to overlevel unless you go out of your way not to.

brinstar

User requested ban
Oct 25, 2017
I'm still on Island 1, just beat Hala but I'm going back with Tauros to get the stuff I missed.

I'm rolling with Brionne, Butterfree, Zorua, Buneary, Rockruff and Munchlax atm. I think Zorua's gonna get booted soon though it's kind of useless so far.

Zoph

Oct 25, 2017
So, I have OG Moon, played it for about two hours. Is it worth it to power through with the intentions of getting US/UM eventually? Or, should I just drop it and go straight to US/UM? I want to be up to speed for the series but I don't know if I want to go through the same story mode twice.

Crayolan

Oct 25, 2017
So, I have OG Moon, played it for about two hours. Is it worth it to power through with the intentions of getting US/UM eventually? Or, should I just drop it and go straight to US/UM? I want to be up to speed for the series but I don't know if I want to go through the same story mode twice.

There's no real reason to play SM if you have USUM.

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
It might be neat to see what's changed, but Alola in Ultra has so much more to it I can't see any real reason to go back to the original titles.

Moltenix

Oct 27, 2017

If you were planning to play US/UM back-to-back (or relatively soon) after Moon, i'd personally jump drop Moon now and go straight for the new and improved versions. 2 hours isn't really too far in.

mjw

Oct 27, 2017
So Araquanid just comes up and pounces on Totem Wishiwashi before it forms lmao

also this thing is quite strong

Nat 619

Oct 27, 2017
I lost patience with Amazon and bought the game in town today. I'll be sending it back as soon as it finally arrives.

Played up to Totem Raticate so far. Even I'm getting a bit fed up of the cutscenes, and I didn't mind it so much in Sun. Rotomdex is more annoying this time around too. Still having fun though. Team is:

Popplio
Grubbin
Inkay
Hawlucha (who really saved me in the trial)
Noibat (kinda put off by how late it evolves but we'll see)

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
I shut exp share off immediately and the challenge is there. I'm stuck on the fire totem rn.
It's still there even with it on, given you don't go grinding.

That rock fight man, they did good picking that team out. You can't just blast it with water or grass attacks, gotta have some fighting and steel moves.

Spinosaurus

Oct 25, 2017
My team so far at the Grass trial

Graveler
Drifloon
Seel
Murkrow
Hawlucha
Torracat

Gonna ditch Hawlucha for Crabrawler at the 3rd island cuz I don't really need 3 flying types, though idk if I wanna keep Drifloon either lol.

Busaiku

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Fin8shed it a little bit ago, but the Brooklet Hill totem was really underwhelming this time.
I almost got wiped in Sun, but I was pretty comfortable this time.

GiantBreadbug

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know why I was so dead set on getting Grimer at the Trainer's School, but I finally got one with a decent nature and Poison Touch.

Hala was actually kind of a bitch to fight just because I was so scared of overleveling that I didn't do any wild battles for training and just stuck to the trainer battles. His Machop got four consecutive crits (Revenge, not Karate Chop) after a Focus Energy, so that sure made me sour. Nice little bit of challenge though, and at least I know I don't have to be too afraid of overleveling (?).

Right now I've got:

Brionne Lv. 17
Rockruff (Dusk) Lv. 16
Grimer Lv. 15
Pichu Lv. 17

I'm usually the kind of guy who plans a team in advance and sticks to them, but that was becoming a bit stale for me. This time I'm just going through and grabbing everything I see, then keeping the Alola stuff I want to raise. It's cool to see the new inclusions in the regional dex, but also I only plan on using Alolan Pokemon or Regional Variants sooooo I dunno. Dex entries are rad too. Honestly one of the best things about the game is that they redid all the entries. This needs to continue for future installments. Deliberd giving bugs to people to eat is hilarious. Also this is the first time it's directly implied that Drifloon isn't just"spiriting people away," but it's actually eating their souls.

I will also say that the complaints that it's virtually the same game in terms of progression/story/script are pretty warranted so far. It's literally just the Ultra Recon folks pasted in various places, and like a handful of changed dialogue/cutscenes. I'll wait a bit until the later half of the game to decide more on this, but it's not a good look.

Overall, it's Pokemon. I usually replay Pokemon games many many times, but I intentionally held off on replaying Moon in anticipation of this game. That, plus the strength of Alola as a region and the great designs of the Pokemon here, are making this pretty enjoyable. I'm really looking forward to taking some time going through this game. But it's still incredibly disappointing to see that this really is basically a filler release, and with two versions no less. I'm aware that this is a third version, and I'm not pegging the future of the series on how this has been developed. That doesn't make these things not worth pointing out, though.

Somehow it's become a controversial opinion to simultaneously enjoy and love Pokemon games while also expressing frustration that TPC refuses to put their full heft behind the series. But that's where this game has me right now. I'm as sure as ever that the battle systems, flavor text, Pokemon designs, and heart of this series are all very special to me. However, it deserves so much more in terms of presentation, richness/breadth of content, and scope.

Anywho, gonna evolve some Pokemon to read these fantastic dex entries.

:O

Was this just straight up SOSing? I'm gonna have to try for a couple since I've got that more or less down to a science now.

Last edited:
tbIPVOtl.jpg
Yay!

Lazrgatr

Banned
Nov 15, 2017
Hoping for bank to be patched in soon.

I haven't touched it in months to stockpile BP to get everything in USUM without going through the hax tree.

Kito

Nov 6, 2017
Quick question. My old friend and I had a blast playing Battle Subway in Black & White in co-op. Are there any modes akin to that in Ultra Sun/Moon? Thanks!

Lusamine

Oct 25, 2017
Quick question. My old friend and I had a blast playing Battle Subway in Black & White in co-op. Are there any modes akin to that in Ultra Sun/Moon? Thanks!
There is no wi-fi option if that is what you used, but local co-op stayed through the Maison last gen and the Tree in this gen.

robotzombie

Oct 25, 2017
awesome, thanks guys!

Separate question, any reason to delay any of the Litten evolutions?

Is there much of a reason to delay most pokemon evolutions?

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
awesome, thanks guys!

For level up, trade or happiness evolutions, generally not. Rarely there will be some moves that can only be learned at a specific evolution stage, but they're usually not worth worrying about. For Pokemon that evolve via level, they learn new moves faster at lower evolutionary stages, but the boost in states generally makes up for it. For Pokemon that evolve via stone, they generally stop learning moves naturally so you might want to look that up first.

Spinosaurus

Oct 25, 2017
awesome, thanks guys!

It's a way to get stronger moves a little earlier, but you can get by without them since sticking with unevolved Pokemon for that long is a bigger handicap for most Pokemon.

Blade24070

Oct 26, 2017
Was gonna scan the QR code for Pikachu but it says I can't until the next island so no go for me :/ oh well.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
TIL Mimikyu is a physical attacker

Err... I was kind of hoping for another Special Attacker, but I guess I'll make due with Vikavolt...

Vikavolt is so slooowww

I thought Aquanaid was a Special attacker too. Not sure I want to keep him on my team, he kind of sucks as a Water type, and Vikavolt's Signal Beam kills anything weak to Bug.

Maybe I'll swap him out for Alolan Vulpix, although the one I have is a good 10 levels under everyone else.

Last edited: