• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
I still want to know if you can unfreeze lusamines collection in this version or not...

A personal pet peeve of mine is having several of the same exact character model on screen at the same time. There's a house in Iki Village with a room that has three identical men in it. Three is the magic number. Paniola Ranch can have three identical ranchers. I hate it. It destroys my immersion.

This only worked with sprites where I was using my imagination. It's dumb when there are so many fully rendered 3D humans without any variation of clothing, hairstyle, or skin tone.

Id go as far as to say that the npc/trainer clones were kind of charming in a way back in the older games
When you're trying to present a super serious plot with a more detailed world and a focus on cutscenes, those kind of things stick out like a sore thumb

Crayolan

Oct 25, 2017
They force the festival plaza tutorial on you just to progress with the game this time...great.

PKthndr

Oct 25, 2017
This might have been said already, but the fact that Mantine surf gives you BP is insane. It makes all the BP items reasonable to get now, thank god.

Crayolan

Oct 25, 2017
Beat the Grass Totem. The changes to the fight are pretty great. They essentially combined the strengths of its 2 SOS pokemon into 1, while also giving it a counter against a certain type.

Really enjoying how all the Akala Island totems have been improved, looking forward to seeing what they've done for the rest.

MicH

Oct 25, 2017
That random Kahili appearance was hilarious. It's like she was waiting :lol

Also, I am once again sad the PSS was replaced by the Festival Plaza. PSS was incredible, always being online was awesome.

PKthndr

Oct 25, 2017
The water totem fight was pretty funny for me. It swept all my guys, then all I had left was Charmeleon. Thought I was screwed, but then I just one shotted the totem and its minion with dragon rage. (totem had like 80% health) Charmeleon coming through. Glad I got it through island scan.

Amaterasu

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
End of first day report:

Kahuna Hala defeated

Team:
Dartix - Level 17
Hawlucha - Level 16
Litwick - Level 18
Zoroa - Level 16
Rockruff (Dusk) - Level 17

The one thing that I remember annoying me the most, not the cutscenes. No, the way too huge number of Kanto pokemon in these games. Seriously, in actual new pokemon you can get at this point there's your Starter, Yangoos, Pikipek, Grubbin, Crabrawler, Cutiefly and Rockruff (and any possible evos).

But in Kanto Pokemon you have, Caterpie, Pikachu, Slowpoke, Abra, Spearow, Magnemite, Ekans, Growlithe, Drowzee, Ghastly, Zubat, Mankey, Psyduck, Machop... why is the number of available Kanto pokemon DOUBLE the number of new pokemon? And that's not even going into the Alolan Forms which, surprise surpise, are also based on Kanto (Meowth, Grimer, Diglett, Ratatta, oh and the big totem boss is a Raticate in my version as well). It's nice they added more lines from different regions but seriously... there are over 800 pokemon and five other generations beside Kanto and Alola, you do not have to use the original 151 all the time. I feel like this has just been a thing since XY and it's tiring at this point (XY I take bigger umbrage too, here's your starter, how are you enjoying it, now take this kanto starter that will someday mega evolve, oh, you want the starter you began with to mega evolve? Well too bad!) and I'm just tired of it now, I feel like a Red/Blue remake isn't going to appeal to me because the games keep latching onto it.

Anyway, I hear there's some new sidequests to do on Melemele so I'll clear them up and then move on to Akala tomorrow. Plan is to add a Ralts and either a Dewpider or a Wimpod to the team (Dartix will be subbed, I already ran Decidueye in Moon). Nothing insanely different so far at this point. Hopefully some more changes in the next island.
Wait, Zoroark is in this?! Dammit, I did not plan on getting this...

Resetti

Oct 25, 2017
I'm really loving these little tweaks made to the main story
The world makes much more sense now.

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
The water totem fight was pretty funny for me. It swept all my guys, then all I had left was Charmeleon. Thought I was screwed, but then I just one shotted the totem and its minion with dragon rage. (totem had like 80% health) Charmeleon coming through. Glad I got it through island scan.
Dragon Rage is crazy strong at lower levels when everyone has super low HP since it does static damage.

Ometeotl

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone know what abilities the Totems you are given have? I know the Marowak has its HA but I don't know about the others. Most importantly, I'm afraid they did my friend Araquanid bad and gave him Water Absorb instead of Water Bubble.

Echo

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Mt. Whatever
Land mines all over this thread for people who didn't play the original S/M. >_<

My power cut out for a couple hours earlier and I had nothing else to do so Pokemon it was. I'm probably over-impressed considering I haven't played Pokemon since Platinum, but the graphics always surprise me on this. It's so different from when we were still using 2D sprites.

I went with Rowlet for my starter, he started off with really high HP. 23! I'm used to 20 being the average for lvl. 5 starters.

Is there any way to speed up battle animations just a bit? Maybe I've been spoiled by other JRPG's in this modern era, but something about the slowness of battles irks me. Not enough to ruin the experience of anything though. :)

Lusamine

Oct 25, 2017
Land mines all over this thread for people who didn't play the original S/M. >_<

My power cut out for a couple hours earlier and I had nothing else to do so Pokemon it was. I'm probably over-impressed considering I haven't played Pokemon since Platinum, but the graphics always surprise me on this. It's so different from when we were still using 2D sprites.

I went with Rowlet for my starter, he started off with really high HP. 23! I'm used to 20 being the average for lvl. 5 starters.

Is there any way to speed up battle animations just a bit? Maybe I've been spoiled by other JRPG's in this modern era, but something about the slowness of battles irks me. Not enough to ruin the experience of anything though. :)
You can skip battle animations altogether, but no in-between in terms of speed.

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
They really should implement a fast forward option during battle in the future. I'd like to see the animations but some are just way too long.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I do wonder with the Dusk Lycanroc, since it comes with Happy Hour, how viable is it competively? Using Normalium Z, Z-Happy Hour gives an all stats up like Z-Coversion with Porygon Z. Give it Stone Edge, Drill Run, then one of Accelrock, Brick Break, Zen Headbutt, Iron Head or even Outrage. I imagine that might make Lycanroc fairly viable competitively, no?

FSLink

Oct 25, 2017
Speaking of the Dex, they removed on of my favorite features: there's no longer a rainbow color splash and a sound effect when you complete a page in the Dex. It cannot he overstated how much I loved that feature and how satisfying it made filling up my Dex pages. It was a principle motivator for me to complete the original Alola Dex because it made everything feel so kinetic and alive. Now it just feels dead and static. Back to just checking boxes.

Just noticed this post you did earlier....um, it's the same as Sun/Moon. You get the red color splash after completing an evolution line, and shiny holographic ones when you catch a legendary.

Wow, the legendary fight wipes my team easily.

I had to cheese it with Mimikyu + Swords Dance + Z-Move lol

If you have Custom Firmware, you can use a plugin to make text speed instant. That's about the only thing further you can do.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Just noticed this post you did earlier....um, it's the same as Sun/Moon. You get the red color splash after completing an evolution line, and shiny holographic ones when you catch a legendary.

I realized this late last night too. I thought it happened when you finished a page, but I realize it's the evolution line now. I'm glad this still happens because I love it.

Spinosaurus

Oct 25, 2017
Well I definitely wasn't prepared for the fire trial totem. Wiped out 4 of my Pokemon, and all of them had type advantage lol.

Deleted member 4413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There's no reason not to play Ultra. The story differs slightly between the two, but Ultra is the more feature packed version.

As someone who adored vanilla Sun/Moon's story, It's not worth playing when Ultra exists, since you'll get more bang for your buck. From what I understand, the story is still the same. It just has a different ending sequence.

Thanks! Will get the ultra version then.

Lazrgatr

Banned
Nov 15, 2017
I don't know if it's just me tuning out and hammering A whenever Kukui, Lillie, or Hau starts talking but it feels like there's less cutscene and more gameplay so far. Just beat the first totem.

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
I don't know if it's just me tuning out and hammering A whenever Kukui, Lillie, or Hau starts talking but it feels like there's less cutscene and more gameplay so far. Just beat the first totem.
They trimmed down the opening, but they also added in a couple (like that stupid one where Lillie shows you how to use ledges - I really don't think we need more than an NPC's dialogue for that).

FSLink

Oct 25, 2017
This seem a lot easier than vanilla to anyone? Just cleared second island.
It's about the same difficulty overall, but there's some nice difficulty spikes in the later trials. I expect people to have issues with the changes to the electric trial, the new last trial's totem, and the legendary fight.

Crayolan

Oct 25, 2017

The difficulty has been increased.

The level curve is slightly steeper, movesets have been improved, boss rosters have been increased, and totems have improved movesets/synergy with their SOS partners.

Gen 7 just has a ton of broken stuff (exp share, pokemon refresh, probably that Rotom stuff) which makes the game so easy that you're probably not gonna notice unless you intentionally restrict yourself.

Oct 29, 2017
USA
Is anyone else having this issue with Rotom?

I'm on Akala and just finished Lana's trial. Every since I got to Akala, Rotom has been constantly giving me "advice you didn't ask for". I mean he does it after almost every battle and it is incredibly annoying. I haven't figured out any way to get him to stop.

Does he stop doing that or is it possibly a bug?

Jester37

Oct 25, 2017
Personally I think it's a lot harder, but I also set some restrictions while playing through the game so that's on me (no EXP Share use, playing on Set, no starter). Doesn't help that my team only consists of Ribombee and Zorua lol.

SJUG

One Winged Slayer
Oct 30, 2017
United States
Well. I've hit a roadblock with the fire trial, time to get a water type.
Also, Lana's Trial had a neat twist at the end. It actually ruined my plan that I had in store to fight Wishiwashi.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
Is anyone else having this issue with Rotom?

I'm on Akala and just finished Lana's trial. Every since I got to Akala, Rotom has been constantly giving me "advice you didn't ask for". I mean he does it after almost every battle and it is incredibly annoying. I haven't figured out any way to get him to stop.

Does he stop doing that or is it possibly a bug?
He never stops

Get used to not having a minimap

Sölf

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Reached the first trial on my monotype run. Current team:

Ghastly
Zubat
Grimer
Ekans
Spinarak

Also got a second Grimer but haven't used it at all so far. Level of all of them is 12-14. So far, I enjoy all the small changes, like the added scenes, new Surfer trainer, new battle themes or just the fact after a win the enemy trainer moves a little bit instead of being a total stand still.

MicH

Oct 25, 2017
It feels like literally every single trainer in the game has only one Pokemon. It's extremely disappointing.

Sölf

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Even more comical if you use Ditto you find out most NPC Pokémon only have two moves.

Even Kahunas' Pokémon
Difficulty in this game is really weird. On one hand you have stuff like this and on the other you have the Totem Pokemon or stuff like that Cleffable which is just so much harder than everything else in the game.

FSLink

Oct 25, 2017
Personally I think it's a lot harder, but I also set some restrictions while playing through the game so that's on me (no EXP Share use, playing on Set, no starter). Doesn't help that my team only consists of Ribombee and Zorua lol.

It'll level out when you get more Pokes. Zorua isn't too great in-game but Ribombee is pretty OP in-game.

Even more comical if you use Ditto you find out most NPC Pokémon only have two moves.

Even Kahunas' Pokémon

It's another archaic thing that I hope they do away with in the Switch games. They only recently started giving boss-like trainers unique movesets and IVs, the older games auto gen the moveset depending on level.

It was a good way to easily and quickly generate content in the past (lots of NPC trainers to fight), but I really want them to step it up. Not expecting much though. :(

ahdurian

Oct 25, 2017
wow...Kiawe's trial wrecked me...
maybe i need to switch our some 'mons.

Right now I have
Dartrix Lvl.27
Litwick Lvl.25
Larvitar Lvl.24
Rockruff (Event) Lvl.24
Inkay Lvl.24
Charjabug Lvl.23

Keeping Rockruff until I get him to evolve, which will be in about 3 hours from now
not sure who I want now. maybe need some kind of Water-type.
Maybe switch our Litwick for a different dual-Fire type, since Decidueye would take care of Ghost-typing in the future

GuitarGuruu

Oct 26, 2017
I do wonder with the Dusk Lycanroc, since it comes with Happy Hour, how viable is it competively? Using Normalium Z, Z-Happy Hour gives an all stats up like Z-Coversion with Porygon Z. Give it Stone Edge, Drill Run, then one of Accelrock, Brick Break, Zen Headbutt, Iron Head or even Outrage. I imagine that might make Lycanroc fairly viable competitively, no?

I didn't even consider Z happy hour, that might give lycanroc the advantage it needs but you'd have to do it on a safe turn to not get blown up.