• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Vylash

Oct 25, 2017
all of the little changes, like being able to swap a newly caught pokemon out for something in your party if it's full, and making it easier to swap held items around are things I've wanted for so damn long

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Didn't get the game but are the towns any better than the base versions? Because those were kindy abysmal.

Crayolan

Oct 25, 2017
They were in the original SuMo, so I'm not surprised. They were kinda promoted in SuMo. I remember a video popping up pre-release that showed off a sidequest where you pick up Pyukumuku off the beach and toss them to the sea.

They were in Sun and Moon to a degree, but I wouldn't say there were that many more than in your average pokemon game, and they were pretty much all "do this thing for me, right here, right now."

Edit: Or, the "catch this pokemon for me" type of sidequest, but that's not what I'm talking about.

There're A LOT more in USUM and they're often like "find this person in *vague description of place*" which sometimes turns out to be in another city or even island.

Are sidequests new? Don't remember any in OG Sun/Moon and my save file is 250 hours.

There were a few in SM. There way more in USUM.

tenderbrew

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Do these little things where you "turn right" and "turn left" at pokemon on the over-world do anything?

Deleted member 9971

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They were in Sun and Moon to a degree, but I wouldn't say there were that many more than in your average pokemon game, and they were pretty much all "do this thing for me, right here, right now."

Edit: Or, the "catch this pokemon for me" type of sidequest, but that's not what I'm talking about.

There're A LOT more in USUM and they're often like "find this person in *vague description of place*" which sometimes turns out to be in another city or even island.

There were a few in SM. There way more in USUM.

Sounds good to me, can't wait to get the game soon, only have a week to beat it tho with Xenoblade so close:P ohwell should be doable, will switch between games otherwise.

Galava

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Absolutely loved the
Kantonian gym. The music was on top, but the thing that I loved the most is how they capitalize every name and important word, just like in the GBC era.
"I am the LEADER of KANTO GYM, my POKéMON (...)"

Spinosaurus

Oct 25, 2017
Omg, talk to the kid at Big Wave Beach after beating Hala and go to the school at night.

This is definitely new.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
End of first day report:

Kahuna Hala defeated

Team:
Dartix - Level 17
Hawlucha - Level 16
Litwick - Level 18
Zoroa - Level 16
Rockruff (Dusk) - Level 17

The one thing that I remember annoying me the most, not the cutscenes. No, the way too huge number of Kanto pokemon in these games. Seriously, in actual new pokemon you can get at this point there's your Starter, Yangoos, Pikipek, Grubbin, Crabrawler, Cutiefly and Rockruff (and any possible evos).

But in Kanto Pokemon you have, Caterpie, Pikachu, Slowpoke, Abra, Spearow, Magnemite, Ekans, Growlithe, Drowzee, Ghastly, Zubat, Mankey, Psyduck, Machop... why is the number of available Kanto pokemon DOUBLE the number of new pokemon? And that's not even going into the Alolan Forms which, surprise surpise, are also based on Kanto (Meowth, Grimer, Diglett, Ratatta, oh and the big totem boss is a Raticate in my version as well). It's nice they added more lines from different regions but seriously... there are over 800 pokemon and five other generations beside Kanto and Alola, you do not have to use the original 151 all the time. I feel like this has just been a thing since XY and it's tiring at this point (XY I take bigger umbrage too, here's your starter, how are you enjoying it, now take this kanto starter that will someday mega evolve, oh, you want the starter you began with to mega evolve? Well too bad!) and I'm just tired of it now, I feel like a Red/Blue remake isn't going to appeal to me because the games keep latching onto it.

Anyway, I hear there's some new sidequests to do on Melemele so I'll clear them up and then move on to Akala tomorrow. Plan is to add a Ralts and either a Dewpider or a Wimpod to the team (Dartix will be subbed, I already ran Decidueye in Moon). Nothing insanely different so far at this point. Hopefully some more changes in the next island.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
So an Alolan Persian just kind of snuck on my team lol

WAYYYYY back right in the beginning, one of the first Pokemon I caught was Meowth. And he just kind of hung out in my party because Rockruff, Litten and Grubbin were doing most of the work

And then suddenly "What? Meowth is evolving!" out of nowhere. I had actually forgotten I was carrying a Meowth. And so I let her evolve and then checked her out. Her ability was Technician, so that sounded promising, and then I noticed the moves she had that I had more or less just clicked quickly through (while she was leveling in the back of my party) were 60BP or less. Including Fake Out and Bite. And then I used her a few times and she did great.

So now there's an unplanned Alolan Persian on my team. Whatever. I didn't really have any ideas for Pokemon 6 anyway. So she can be #6.

Party right now is

Torracat
Lycanroc (Dusk)
Charjabug
Persian
Ditto (lol)
Dugtrio (meh)

Ditto and Dugtrio are just bench warmers until Alolan Vulpix and Mimikyu come into play.

And I REALLY need Vulpix. Defensive Pokemon destroy me, and I have a massive Ground weakness. I need a Special attacker really bad, but I want to stick to Alolan Pokemon only. My original Moon team had to the same issue, it was too physical oriented. Wishiwashi was my only special attacker last time around (Decidueye, Wishiwashi, Marowak, Mudsdale, Bewear, Zygardoggo). Maybe Alola is just too Physical Pokemon heavy?

To be honest, though, I could probably solo the game with Lycanroc right now if I really had to.

Deleted member 3815

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My copy of Ultra Sun and Moon arrived today so I sat down to play Ultra Moon,

Right away I prefer the opening of Ultra Moon a lot better than the vanilla version as I didn't like how you had to wait awhile to get your starter, I picked Litten, thus the story just flowed at a much better pace.

I also liked the little touches that they added into Ultra Moon, including seeing the Slowpoke walking outside the lab when you look out the window. But as someone who hated the Rotom Dex in the original I still hate here and it's much worse as Rotom won't shut up, all I wanted was an option to disable him or at least use him a viable Pokémon to use in battle.

But in all I am enjoying the game and it's already feeling a lot different from the vanilla version, though I hated how long it took to be given the option to trade as I wanted to trade in a Charmander egg from the start.

My team is currently is;

Charmander,
Litten,
Zorua

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Huh... in the tourist bureau in Akkala, there are two Poké Ball enthusiasts having a conversation. They reference a very specific item that I don't think has ever been acknowledged in an English translation of the game.

The GS Ball, which they explicitly explain to be the Gold-Silver Ball. This item was an infamously unresolved plot line in the anime and never manifested in the original G/S/C because the Celebi event was never localized. When HG/SS were released, the Celebi event made no mention of the item.

And yet, here are two NPCs talking about it. Did this happen in Sun and Moon? I feel like I would remember this.

Deleted member 3815

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Huh... in the tourist bureau in Akkala, there are two Poké Ball enthusiasts having a conversation. They reference a very specific item that I don't think has ever been acknowledged in an English translation of the game.

The GS Ball, which they explicitly explain to be the Gold-Silver Ball. This item was an infamously unresolved plot line in the anime and never manifested in the original G/S/C because the Celebi event was never localized. When HG/SS were released, the Celebi event made no mention of the item.

And yet, here are two NPCs talking about it. Did this happen in Sun and Moon? I feel like I would remember this.

That wasn't in Sun and Moon.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
What's the point in having a mini-map if Rotom never shuts up?

At least once every 20 minutes there's a time when I want to check the mini-map and he's blabbering on about petting my Pokemon. He even talks through cutscenes. He never stops talking!

robotzombie

Oct 25, 2017
Is the Dusk form of Lycanroc better than the Midnight form? I find the Midnight one cooler looking, but I'm assuming Dusk form is special in some way?

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Yeah, Rotom didn't bother me in the original versions but his incessant yapping blocking the map is annoying the hell out of me.

Finale Fireworker

Oct 25, 2017
United States
What's the point in having a mini-map if Rotom never shuts up?

At least once every 20 minutes there's a time when I want to check the mini-map and he's blabbering on about petting my Pokemon. He even talks through cutscenes. He never stops talking!

I thought I would like a more talkative Rotom, but I don't. I also don't like how he is constantly sad unless you touch him.

I also haven't figured out what triggers the blinking eyes to play Roto Loto. I like Rotom Dex in general but he's a bit too overbearing in this game.

Speaking of the Dex, they removed on of my favorite features: there's no longer a rainbow color splash and a sound effect when you complete a page in the Dex. It cannot he overstated how much I loved that feature and how satisfying it made filling up my Dex pages. It was a principle motivator for me to complete the original Alola Dex because it made everything feel so kinetic and alive. Now it just feels dead and static. Back to just checking boxes.

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Is the Dusk form of Lycanroc better than the Midnight form? I find the Midnight one cooler looking, but I'm assuming Dusk form is special in some way?
Dusk Lycanroc has the Tough Claws ability (This Pokemon's contact attacks do 1.3x damage), has a higher attack than Midday form but is slightly slower, and has access to accelrock.

The Midnight form has gotten some buffs with this game due to the move tutors giving it the elemental punches, but I'd say Dusk is the best right now.

Finale Fireworker

Oct 25, 2017
United States

It's the same as Dawn form except for 2 points in Attack that were previously in Speed. It also has a good ability, Tough Claws, that makes it a markedly better Pokémon than it's brethren.

FSLink

Oct 25, 2017
Jit1UBo.png

T3miYrp.png

Done with main game. Now to do post-game stuff.

Deleted member 3815

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In the animé the Rotom dex is cool and I don't mind him but in the game he doesn't come off as the same way and as a result he's annoying.

He's currently by far the worse thing about the game.

At least once every 20 minutes there's a time when I want to check the mini-map and he's blabbering on about petting my Pokemon.

He did that in Sun and Moon as well, so I opted to map the Charizard Pokéride to up on the D-pad and use that to check the map thus bypassing Rotom usefulness.

FSLink

Oct 25, 2017
Ugh.

I'm probably waiting until the postgame anyway. Maybe switching the day/night cycle will rectify this. Assuming you can still do that.
I had read that before the game was released, but reading on Smogon it seems to be adjusted for Moon.

Can anyone test?

I can confirm. It's in the morning in Ultra Moon, and in late afternoon for Ultra Sun. You can do the post-game swap day/night cycle to rectify it.

In the animé the Rotom dex is cool and I don't mind him but in the game he doesn't come off as the same way and as a result he's annoying.

He's currently by far the worse thing about the game.
avhKH3gl.png

So annoying. :(

FSLink

Oct 25, 2017
And I thought doing it for U Sun (without changing the clock) was annoying enough

Yikes

They could have just called it "Dusk/Dawn" Lycanroc...
Or added a Dawn form as well with little effort, since it's pretty silly how low effort Dusk Lycanroc is. He's literally orange Midday form with 2 points of speed moved into attack and a better ability.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
Playing this game, I'm noticing so many little things that will be unacceptable when the series goes HD on the Switch.

Like how every cutscene that requires any unique animation just goes to a black screen where you have to pretend stuff is happening. Most of the character and Pokemon animations outside of battles are also pretty stiff and would look kind of bad on the TV. And all the shortcuts in background elements by using sprites or animated textures instead of modeling.

I get the feeling Switch Pokemon is going to make Gamefreak sweat a bit. It's outside what they've been doing, since it requires so much more detail than they're used to.

Metroidvania

Oct 25, 2017
Ugh, I keep getting the worst natures for everything I want to use.

- Speed pichu, +Sp. Atk bunneary, + attack noibat.....

It just goes on and on, lol.

Finale Fireworker

Oct 25, 2017
United States
Like how every cutscene that requires any unique animation just goes to a black screen where you have to pretend stuff is happening.

I hate these black screens. They were one of my biggest complaints in Sun & Moon. Here's an example...

When breeding, sometimes I would accidentally talk to the Miltank instead of the rancher. Doing so triggers a dialog box that can't be canceled. The Miltank heals you when you do this. To indicate this is happening, the screen fades to black.

There are so many fades to black. There are fades to black even for nothing. Walking up to an NPC that tells you to turn around has two black fades. There's so many fades and it's obscene. It turns something that should be instanteous into a several-second affair.

But yeah, there are tons of shortcuts and problems that are unacceptable even in USM. We're just so used to them.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
I just got done with a part where I basically said "seriously guys, you couldn't make an animation of two Pikachu's nuzzling each other?"

The black screen cutscenes are ridiculous

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Absolutely loved the
Kantonian gym. The music was on top, but the thing that I loved the most is how they capitalize every name and important word, just like in the GBC era.
"I am the LEADER of KANTO GYM, my POKéMON (...)"
wait there are gyms now?!

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
Another thing that the Switch version will need to seriously consider is some kind of randomizer for the appearance of NPCs. Skin color, hair color, eye color, shirt color, I don't really think it's too much to ask for a little more variety.

SM/USUM even take this to comical levels by having entirely different trainer types use the same model. I've encountered three different trainer types so far that use the teacher model. And yet there's two different female swimmer models for some reason.

Finale Fireworker

Oct 25, 2017
United States
Another thing that the Switch version will need to seriously consider is some kind of randomizer for the appearance of NPCs. Skin color, hair color, eye color, shirt color, I don't really think it's too much to ask for a little more variety.

A personal pet peeve of mine is having several of the same exact character model on screen at the same time. There's a house in Iki Village with a room that has three identical men in it. Three is the magic number. Paniola Ranch can have three identical ranchers. I hate it. It destroys my immersion.

This only worked with sprites where I was using my imagination. It's dumb when there are so many fully rendered 3D humans without any variation of clothing, hairstyle, or skin tone.

Metroidvania

Oct 25, 2017
The fade to black thing reminds me - the 'loading pause' in between a battle finish --> overworld feels longer the S/M by a noticeable margin, at least on an OG 3dsXL.

Crayolan

Oct 25, 2017
Finally beat the fire totem. I'm really liking the step in difficulty these are providing compared to Sun and Moon.

Current Team is:
Brionne Lv. 23
Inkay Lv. 23
Mawile Lv. 24
Rockruff Lv. 22

Now to worry about how this team is gonna deal with the grass totem lol.

Playing this game, I'm noticing so many little things that will be unacceptable when the series goes HD on the Switch.

Like how every cutscene that requires any unique animation just goes to a black screen where you have to pretend stuff is happening. Most of the character and Pokemon animations outside of battles are also pretty stiff and would look kind of bad on the TV. And all the shortcuts in background elements by using sprites or animated textures instead of modeling.

I get the feeling Switch Pokemon is going to make Gamefreak sweat a bit. It's outside what they've been doing, since it requires so much more detail than they're used to.

I don't see many people mention it, but it always sticks out to me how characters can only run in straight lines. If a character needs to move to a down/left diagonal relative to their current position they will first run in a straight line down, then turn, then run in a straight line left. It's really awkward and unnatural.