• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
If my objective is to get a charmander to use as my starter, my better chance is to try to catch it tomorrow with the island scan?

GuitarGuruu

Oct 26, 2017
Alright think I've decided on keeping the Noibat I caught for my team, just wish it didn't evolve so late!

ahdurian

Oct 25, 2017
i thought Mantine surfing would be stupid...but its actually quite enjoyable

24,536 second run through

Nat 619

Oct 27, 2017
My game still isn't here. :( My own fault I guess, but Amazon have been reliable in the past and they got Sun to me on the release date, so I thought it'd be the same this time. At least I'll have some days off to enjoy it from Monday, once it does show up.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Just started Used Litten because I already picked my favourite rowlett in the base game, I named her Lucina because I will do a Fire Emblem based team after doing a Ace Attorney team in SM.

Oct 29, 2017
USA
The Trainer School sidequest at night was something else. I won't spoil it except that it was sufficiently spooky. Talk to a kid on Big Wave Beach after beating Hala to start it.

Last edited:

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
The only thing I really don't like is the new Trainer Battle Theme. I don't like the odd sound filtering where the melody pulses. Hearing Ilma's Battle Theme as the old song, whether it was intentional or an oversight, really made me realize how much I liked the old one.

Jester37

Oct 25, 2017
The only thing I really don't like is the new Trainer Battle Theme. I don't like the odd sound filtering where the melody pulses. Hearing Ilma's Battle Theme as the old song, whether it was intentional or an oversight, really made me realize how much I liked the old one.
Agreed. Already liked the vanilla version (and still like it), but now I appreciate it a lot more.

MegaRockEXE

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Just beat the first trial. A few things being different is nice. Was there always a Z-Move tutorial? I remember not wanting to use them at first in the previous game.
I'm really liking this Pokemon variety though. Contrary Inkay is fun. Zorua is fun too.
These Rotom powers though. The game is basically handing you cheat codes in bulk. It totally overshadows in-game items that do the same thing. I don't think I'll be using those very often at all.

Comet

Oct 27, 2017
These cutscenes are obscene, it really ruins the experience. I played Moon at launch so this isn't exactly new. However, I replayed Silver a few months ago and it's made me realize how grotesque all of this hand holding is. I was 10 years old when I beat Red, I was 12 when I beat Silver. Kids can deal with these games without any of this annoying hand holding.

Example: I reach a new area, trigger cutscene:
1. Watch Hau run to the beach
2. NPC teaches me how they say Hello in Alola

Finally get control, walk 10 paces forward and trigger cutscene:
1. Hau tells me to go into the building
2. In the building they talk about some useless stuff
3. Exit building and new cutscene now with Lillie.

Jesus Christ, back off GameFreak.

Delaney

Oct 25, 2017
That random encounter with Kahili when she literally says two phrases, does the Z pose and walks out lmao

Caz

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Do the Island Scan Pokémon now have a chance to be chained or will they still not call for help?

Akai_XIII

Oct 26, 2017
Can't get a Timid/Modest Popplio so I haven't even started yet. Might give up and just go for a female one so I can breed it later.

sebco

Oct 27, 2017
Just when I thought I was done with Pokémon games until the Switch game... this thread pulls me back in!

Prophet Five

Pundeath Knight
Nov 11, 2017
The Great Dark Beyond
These cutscenes are obscene, it really ruins the experience. I played Moon at launch so this isn't exactly new. However, I replayed Silver a few months ago and it's made me realize how grotesque all of this hand holding is. I was 10 years old when I beat Red, I was 12 when I beat Silver. Kids can deal with these games without any of this annoying hand holding.

Example: I reach a new area, trigger cutscene:
1. Watch Hau run to the beach
2. NPC teaches me how they say Hello in Alola

Finally get control, walk 10 paces forward and trigger cutscene:
1. Hau tells me to go into the building
2. In the building they talk about some useless stuff
3. Exit building and new cutscene now with Lillie.

Jesus Christ, back off GameFreak.

I agree with all of this. I have less time to play games as it is and this shit drives me batty. I remember this stuff annoying me as a kid as well. If it were actual story/plot/lore it'd be one thing but Lillie telling me she needs to go shopping or whatever is pointless. I don't care! They need to bring back the passerby text from B/W to handle little phrases like this. Like, if I walk by Hau he could be like "I'm hungry lets go eat" without me speaking to him or stopping or whatever.

Comet

Oct 27, 2017
I agree with all of this. I have less time to play games as it is and this shit drives me batty. I remember this stuff annoying me as a kid as well. If it were actual story/plot/lore it'd be one thing but Lillie telling me she needs to go shopping or whatever is pointless. I don't care! They need to bring back the passerby text from B/W to handle little phrases like this. Like, if I walk by Hau he could be like "I'm hungry lets go eat" without me speaking to him or stopping or whatever.
If Lillie and Hau didn't exist and this game didn't come crawling to a halt every 3-5 minutes this game would be soooo good. It's a great world to explore and I too don't have time anymore for gaming so seeing this game annoy me to no end with totally inconsequential cutscenes is making me want to stop. Everything else about this game is really nice though.

Blade24070

Oct 26, 2017
It took me like 15 minutes but I finally caught a Munchlax to get a Leftovers. It used Amnesia and Defense Curl until both defenses were maxed and from that point on it was basically a battle tank with the Leftovers. Need to figure out my final two team members after Popplio, Murkrow, Grubbin, and Crabrawler.

Where's Murkrow at?

tenderbrew

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Done with first island. Anyone hear about end game in this one? Any place to sufficiently level mons after the main quest other than stingy Elite 4 re-runs?

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017

That was used in XY actually. It needed to be more of a thing.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I have yet to play Sun/Moon. I only want to play 1 game from this gen. Should I play Sun/Moon or Ultra?
As someone who adored vanilla Sun/Moon's story, It's not worth playing when Ultra exists, since you'll get more bang for your buck. From what I understand, the story is still the same. It just has a different ending sequence.

Prophet Five

Pundeath Knight
Nov 11, 2017
The Great Dark Beyond
That was used in XY actually. It needed to be more of a thing.

I distinctly remember walking through the giant city in B/W and having crowds of people walk past me with text bubbles. I can't recall the name of Fake New York but here's one showing what I mean:

Gen5 said:
tumblr_mlvltxRRoU1r2mho4o1_500.gif

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
I distinctly remember walking through the giant city in B/W and having crowds of people walk past me with text bubbles. I can't recall the name of Fake New York but here's one showing what I mean:

Yeah it was used best there but the feature was still around, at least in XY to a very limited extent. I cant recall if it was used in S/M.

Crayolan

Oct 25, 2017
So has anyone noticed how this game seems to have a lot of small sidequests? Of course sidequests are a common thing in RPGs but they're so infrequent in pokemon games that it's kind of weirding me out to see how often random NPCs will ask me to do something or come back at a certain time.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
So has anyone noticed how this game seems to have a lot of small sidequests? Of course sidequests are a common thing in RPGs but they're so infrequent in pokemon games that it's kind of weirding me out to see how often random NPCs will ask me to do something or come back at a certain time.
They were in the original SuMo, so I'm not surprised. They were kinda promoted in SuMo. I remember a video popping up pre-release that showed off a sidequest where you pick up Pyukumuku off the beach and toss them to the sea.