• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

synic

Oct 27, 2017
NJ
Having gone through the beginning of Sun/Moon multiple times (I got all of the editions of Pikachu a few weeks back), seeing all the subtle changes are so nice, and are really making me happy as I'm platying,.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Having gone through the beginning of Sun/Moon multiple times (I got all of the editions of Pikachu a few weeks back), seeing all the subtle changes are so nice, and are really making me happy as I'm platying,.

From a distance, these kinds of changes always seem so minor and inconsequential. Like, it's not a selling point for anybody that the Save function is mapped to Y now.

But it's really cool to replay a game with all these adjustments. I'm sure I would be less keen on a replay if I'd done another run of the original game, but to dive back in after a year it's just exciting to see what's different.

It's been cool so far. The tiny changes are awesome.

ahdurian

Oct 25, 2017
so didn't play SM, but curious before I pick my starters.
Do you get any earlier access to any decent Grass / Fire / Water PKMN early game?

Oct 29, 2017
USA
Hawlucha absolutely destroyed Hala.

I get why, but I didn't quite expect him to sweep Hala with no mercy. But it was deserved since the rest of my team kept getting the shit beat out of them by Machop.

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Yeah, you can save right before you hit the tall grass with Him good.
However, it still takes like 3 minutes after that.

8 resets for me.
Do you mean three minutes until you can check their attributes (gender, nature, etc.)? That would be disappointing.

I hate to be that guy who brings up B2W2 yet again, but I loved how they handled it in that game. Bianca's introduction was relatively short to begin with and even then she still stopped talking so you could save the game just before picking your pokémon. The bit afterwards when she gives you your pokédex took only a few seconds as well.

Oct 25, 2017
Do you mean three minutes until you can check their attributes (gender, nature, etc.)? That would be disappointing.

I hate to be that guy who brings up B2W2 yet again, but I loved how they handled it in that game. Bianca's introduction was relatively short to begin with and even then she still stopped talking so you could save the game just before picking your pokémon. The bit afterwards when she gives you your pokédex took only a few seconds as well.
Took me 3 resets until I settled for Quirky nature. Cut scene, choose mon, cut scene, check, reset. About 5-6 minutes each time.

ahdurian

Oct 25, 2017
Yes. No joke, USM has probably the best PokéDex I've seen so far. Tons of fun options and really densely populated locales.

thanks!
maybe i'll look up Serebii to see if they have an update on Pokearth for this yet then.
reason being that I don't want to pick a starter that I know I'm going to get a decent->great of that same type shortly.
would rather have the diversity

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
I was so bummed to see that the red hair color isn't available until post-game. Really wanted to rock that this time around. :(

Ah well. I'm enjoying this, though it (expectedly) is nearly identical to last year's versions so far, which means just as many annoying unskippable dialogue sequences. Just got to Route 2.

Echo

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Mt. Whatever
I just got my copy of Ultra Moon! I haven't played Pokemon since Platinum though, so I hope with all the changes since then there is enough to keep me interested long enough to beat this.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Tell me more about this. There are fashion items locked to the post-game?
I haven't looked to see what all of them are, but some are at least. I was just going off of a list of stuff for the original versions though, I'm not sure how much (if any) of it is different in Ultra.

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
The Ultra Recon Squad creating beast balls five minutes after mentioning they should catch Pokémon like the alolans is some old bullshit

Deleted member 3815

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Man it's a good thing that my copy didn't arrive yet as I made a last minute adjustment to both of my team as I swapped Shiinotic and Tsareena around as I only had two special attacker in Ultra Moon and 4 in Ultra Sun and I wanted to balance the team out a bit.

But yeah can't wait for my copy to arrive to tomorrow.

Very minor, but enemy trainers now animating ever so slightly in the end-battle camera pan is a nice touch.

Oh wow that's cool, I mean I was already impressed by the static model in Sun and Moon but having them animate, even if it's slight, is great to hear and just shows that we have gone a long way from gen 6 static image.

Vylash

Oct 25, 2017
looked up how long it'll be until i can get vulpix and ugh that's way too long for me, i was hoping it would be a super early game thing

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
Can I just change my 3DS clock to be 5pm?

My Rockruff is at level 18, and will probably hit 25 within an hour or so, but it's currently 10pm, so I either don't play the entire Saturday until 5pm, or Rockruff stays as Rockruff probably almost until I beat the game...

Oct 29, 2017
USA
Mantine surfing toes a very fine line. Very simplistic but interesting enough and worth it for the easy BP. I imagine there will be a specific route once you get all the beaches and tricks that will be most efficient for grinding BP.

At the very least, it looks to be much quicker than Battle Tree runs for acquiring mega stones and battle items.

Xion_Stellar

Oct 25, 2017
looked up how long it'll be until i can get vulpix and ugh that's way too long for me, i was hoping it would be a super early game thing
I wouldn't mind trading you an Alolan Vulpix egg as long as you don't expect the perfect IVs or the best nature to be on the egg but you do get the Hidden Ability.
Can I just change my 3DS clock to be 5pm?

My Rockruff is at level 18, and will probably hit 25 within an hour or so, but it's currently 10pm, so I either don't play the entire Saturday until 5pm, or Rockruff stays as Rockruff probably almost until I beat the game...
Yes you can and as a fail safe the Rockruff will NOT evolve to it's Midday or Midnight Form only its Dusk Form by force in case your timing is off

Last edited:

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
Thanks

I figured it couldn't evolve into the other forms, since you could lose the specialness of the event accidentally of that was the case.

When he's about to hit 25, I'll have to remember to change my clock

Deleted member 9714

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
These feel like the games we should have gotten in the first place rather than enhanced editions. It's a shame Alola is still a slog to play through. I thought they said the changes in the script would be more prevalent, but it's basically the exact same game with a few more cutscenes so far.

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Caught a Bulbasaur with Island Scan. Pretty fitting that release day is the first Pokémon in the National Dex

Oh wait there is no national dex.

RionaaM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, I like how it gives you the starter a lot sooner, and it streamlines the character introductions a little bit. I still think it has a lot of cutscenes so far, which is annoying.

Mr. Keith

Oct 31, 2017
I probably should have researched more before impulse buying but I hoped this was going to be more like Black and White 2 rather than an enhanced edition. I'm still early but everything seems the same.

Lusamine

Oct 25, 2017
These feel like the games we should have gotten in the first place rather than enhanced editions. It's a shame Alola is still a slog to play through. I thought they said the changes in the script would be more prevalent, but it's basically the exact same game with a few more cutscenes so far.
Source?
I didn't follow much news but script doesn't mean story.

The Last One

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
BTW, I know the reviews said there wasn't improvements in the framerate but I think they only played using the new 3DS. I have an OG 3DS and there's definitely improvements in the framerate, it's not ideal yet, but it's better.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
Finished for today.

Current team
Litten
Diglett
Rufflet
Zorua
Buneary

Haven't decided if I'm keeping Buneary or Zorua.

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
Only played a few hours and man I'm happy to be back in Alola. Love the general vibe of the region and all the team captains. It's been a blast seeing them again with some new scenes thrown in.

Xion_Stellar

Oct 25, 2017
Oh well like I said in my previous post (#315) I haven't played any Pokemon games since Platinum.

Now I'm curious why the most popular Nintendo brand has never utilized THE gimmick of the 3DS. A gimmick I love very much no less.
3D was not received well in general because until the n3DS came around it didn't work well if you even slightly shifted your view or the system to the side, it drain an already short battery even faster and some people couldn't perceive 3D due to some condition they may have in their eyes. As such Nintendo and all of it's developers kicked the 3D gimmicks to the side after a year or two for the most part anyways and it didn't help that 3rd parties didn't make well use of 3D either so now that the 2DS is a thing we live in a world where nobody uses 3D anymore the 3DS might as well have been called the Super DS at this point.