• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Laille

Oct 25, 2017
Sitting in endgame waiting for everyone to catch up. Excited to see what the community finds. :)

Vito

One Winged Slayer - Formerly Undead Fantasy
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't play S&M and was planning to wait for Pokemon Switch but I will get this just because of this fact:

Giovanni having a Mewtwo blows my 10 year old self out of this world. I was sold on that alone.

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Watching thread. The game is pretty low on my "to play" list, but I won't be surprised if I end up buying and playing it, like, next week or so anyway.

It has probably been asked countless times before, but just to be sure:
1) Can you trade between SM and USUM? (I honestly don't see why not, but you never know.)
2) Is the 12-hour difference of in-game time still there? Like it's night in UM when it's actually day in real life?

Zellia

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Will be picking it up later today. Not super hyped though like I was for the originals.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2017
Australia
I popped Moon into my old 3DS and did a side by side just out of curiosity.

The hotel in Heahea City has a second floor added with at least 2 new sidequests and some new funny/weird NPC interactions. There's a whole beach behind the hotel in Ultra that doesn't exist in vanilla Moon. The way you get to the island is entirely different too. And there are move tutors with cool stuff like Fire Punch and Signal Beam before my Pokemon have even hit level 20.

This is two screens worth of space that I've compared, and there are substantial differences to be found. If you're a hardcore fan this game is definitely worth a look.

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I'm at Hao'oli city. The game is still really samey. The only new Pokémon I've noticed in the wild so far are Zorua, Buneary and Inkay which are...Okay I guess. The beginning is not that different from the original.

Lukemon

Oct 27, 2017
I'm at Hao'oli city. The game is still really samey. The only new Pokémon I've noticed in the wild so far are Zorua, Buneary and Inkay which are...Okay I guess. The beginning is not that different from the original.
Yeah, when I heard how similar they were, that's when I decided to do a Nuzlocke run to mix things up. Having fun and going well so far, but already a bit scared for the Totem fights...

Oh, didn't see it answered yet, but the gift Rockruff comes at L10 and can be nicknamed.

frankabus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Got an exam this morning and then hopefully the mail will come in around noon with my game!

Oswen

Oct 25, 2017
Just a note on A Marowak

I used her (mine was female) in Moon last year, and you really have to want to. To get the fullest, she requires a Thick Club and the Move Relearner to get Shadow Bone. Thick Club is tedious to get, and the move relearner isn't until late game. However, once these two pieces are in place, she becomes very good

But you have you really want it. Marowak requires some work to get going.

I think I have a Thick Club lying around in Sun, will trade it asap to US then thanks!
And Shadow Bone is not an evolution move? And It is learned *before* Cubone evolves into A-Marowak?! What were they thinking?
Guess I'll need to trade Marowak back to Sun aswell to learn Shadow Bone if I want to use it before endgame.

Speaking of trading, any idea when the bank is supposed to be updated for USUM support? That would make it much easier to move around Pokémon.

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Oh I was planning on using Alolan Marowak, so that sucks to hear.
Will be fun to see how much it improves when i get both those things lol

A bit gutted that the Totem Pokemon are shiny locked and can't pass down their size. I would have loved to get a shiny totem Mimikyu

iRAWRasaurus

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Do I want to get this? I did pay for a subscription if the Pokémon bank that I never used..

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
That's pretty lame, especially considering you can manually trade stuff over from Sun/Moon. Guess I'll just take my playthrough slow until Bank is updated.

Well that's lame. Don't want to start without that 4000+ BP I've saved up.

Dang it.
I could really use access to my living dex...

To be fair, it's already late November. We might only be waiting a week. That gives you some time to play the game unadultered before pumping in all your late-game super soldiers.

I'll probably be manually trading anyway because I didn't grind for all those Power Items just to have to do it again...

Oswen

Oct 25, 2017
A shame about Pokébank, having to manually trade my tool-Pokémon (Synchronizers, Capture-Smeargle, Ditto etc) is gonna be a pain, especially since I'll need them for the obligatory box Legendary fight.

Seiniyta

Oct 25, 2017
Man, I really like the trainer battle theme of UltraMoon/UltraSun.

And I it never fails to amuse me how stark a difference the Pokédex describe the Pokémon world compared to the actual NPC's make it out to be.

EvilMario

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
If someone were new coming into this, it's by far the best Pokemon experience, but it's way too samey to Sun / Moon to me. Especially to warrant two releases. At least I can use SM Pokemon for VGC 2018 and just use this for move tutors.

PadWarrior

Oct 25, 2017
1,5 hour in and the festival plaza unlocked. There you can trade Pokémon. It unlock to me after visiting the Pokémon center for the first time.

Also there is a global mission that goes until the 27th. And the mission is to capture 10,000,000 Pokémon.
Thanks! Also what level is the special rockruff? I heard it's level 10? If so means we can't use him right away since he won't listen :(

Deleted member 9971

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So the world actually has some small changes that make the original experience a bit different and better?

Ugh can't wait for my paycheck >.>
It will be my final 3DS game i buy unless they release pokemon crystal, then it's that.

Cool, was not planning to get Pokebank untill Pokemon Switch is out so that's fantastic. What happens btw if you don't extend your sub, will they delete your pokemons or keep them stored for a period of time still?

synic

Oct 27, 2017
NJ
I've been sick all week so I'm sitting on my couch right now waiting for my copy. Come on UPS.

Sucks that the bank won't be available until later this month.

Oct 29, 2017
USA
Contrary Inkay is looking to be a very interesting early-game Pokémon. Most enemies know a basic stat reducing move, so Inkay just goes to town.

I will replace him later, but he is an MVP for now.

FiXalaS

Oct 27, 2017
Kuwait.
I'm a bit worn out of Gen 7, but I never skipped a Pokemon.

I wanna know though, is there a skip cutscene feature? also, early route pokemon good?

Sölf

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Alright, got the Special Edition. Last time I played through Moon with a Monotype Bug team. I want to do something similar this time. Suggestions for a type? I will play through Ultra Sun this time.

Xion_Stellar

Oct 25, 2017
Alright, got the Special Edition. Last time I played through Moon with a Monotype Bug team. I want to do something similar this time. Suggestions for a type? I will play through Ultra Sun this time.
Assuming your willing to trade over a few Pokemon than I suggest using a....FLYING TYPE Team!!! You would be surprise on how versatile the move set of flying types can be specially if you add tutors and TMs into the mix. If trading over a few Pokemon isnt possible than go with a Grass or I ce type team.

Sölf

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Assuming your willing to trade over a few Pokemon than I suggest using a....FLYING TYPE Team!!! You would be surprise on how versatile the move set of flying types can be specially if you add tutors and TMs into the mix. If trading over a few Pokemon isnt possible than go with a Grass or I ce type team.
I probaly don't want to trade during the main game, but even so there should be more than enough flying things to catch I guess.

I am also intrigued by dark and ghost, but I think Moon may be the better version for those two.

FSLink

Oct 25, 2017
Y3mNg0fl.jpg

O25t045l.jpg

I4VY53r.jpg

Loving the Pokeball 2DS XL.

Oct 26, 2017
So the world actually has some small changes that make the original experience a bit different and better?

Ugh can't wait for my paycheck >.>
It will be my final 3DS game i buy unless they release pokemon crystal, then it's that.

Cool, was not planning to get Pokebank untill Pokemon Switch is out so that's fantastic. What happens btw if you don't extend your sub, will they delete your pokemons or keep them stored for a period of time still?

I've read reports of Pokemon being retrievable for a certain period after a sub expires. I haven't come across a concrete time span though, and it's not something I'd count on.

RomanceDawn

Teacher of Superheroines
Oct 29, 2017
Los Angeles
Here we go again. Guess I'll download it and get to work. When Version 3/4 come out I always prepare a perfect team Pokémon in the previous game. Pokémon that are fun and maybe odd ball choices to em to take on the whole adventure. I make sure the ability, IV's and egg moves are perfect, hatch em then reset the eggs and store them in the box. I hatch them early on in the new game and go on the whole adventure with my perfect Pokémon that I songbird have to worry about breeding again later.

Bán

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Are these the Pokemon bad guys? It's crazy that I've played every Pokemon mainline RPG since the first game when it released, and I've beaten almost all of them twice over, yet I can't remember or name a single one of these people except for Giovanni. Pokemon has such astonishingly terrible villains. I remember that one of them was called Lysandre but which one that is I could not say. The dude with the blue Bandana on is definitely gen 3, too. I can say that much.

watham

Oct 30, 2017
Alabama, USA
Excited to get home and try this. Glad I never played through the other game like I'd planned last year considering how same-y these seem.