• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JustJavi

Oct 27, 2017
New Zealand
Because we gotta #VoteWithYourWallet.

So if anyone buys or defends Pokémon, the terrorists at Game Freak win!

Do you want a better game next time, Javi!?

Join the rebellion!!!

To be honest, I have the game preordered and I'm planning on enjoying it this weekend. I guess it doesn't take much to make me happy, as none of these "leaks" is making me upset.

Blent

Oct 26, 2017
East Midlands, England, UK
Wait, what did CM Punk do?

If anything was going to convince me to buy a Switch, it was this.

Such a shame for Pokemon fans that this is what they have for their big console debut.

Oct 25, 2017
Oh no they used some of the models.
did they use the same textures too? Did they rework any of that?

We have 4ch as a source and only a handful of models in that page. I'll hold the outrage for now because this is not shit worth getting upset over.
The fact that models are being reused isn't bad (nobody is expecting then to remake 1000+ models from scratch), it's that GF lied about the amount of work put into the game to justify cutting the dex more than halfway down. I personally have no problem with the asset reuse because GF created super high-res models for that purpose explicitly.
There's nothing inherently wrong about reusing models or animations or whatever. The context around this makes it worse though.

So uh, all those people who made youtube videos and tweets about how the models are infact different.

They uh... are they just give be like " whoops " or what
Exactly, nobody would bat an eye if it weren't for the claims made and the state the game is releasing in.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
The court ruled today, in the case of Your Lying Eyes v. Game Freak, in favor of the plaintiff.
In other news: Turns out fire is hot

Ramsay

Jul 2, 2019
Australia
Re-using some older assets as the base is the norm for every yearly Franchise - would be naive to think otherwise, regardless what they told you.

I had some understanding for the uproar early on but the last couple weeks have shown that some of the audience needs more hobbies outside of gaming.
The problem here is that Gamefreak outright went out of their way to state that the reason why the Dex cut happened was to focus on improving the graphics and reworking the models - and now, it seems like the graphics are a step backward from Let's Go, and the models are the exact same as the ones used in Sun and Moon.

If they didn't say that, very few people would be complaining about this.

hussien-11

Oct 27, 2017
Jordan
Even if they did, they will rework them sooner or later, 3DS models won't last forever. i think this is a move that had to be done sooner or later. they choose that time to be now.

They should have communicated the issue better but i'm used to bad communication and silence from Japanese companies, which hurts them a lot (in my opinion).

The more datamine we get the more I believe the "leak" that said the only reason we don't get all the Pokémon is because the game was mad rushed as GF had problems importing the models from 3DS.

I don't really think it was rushed. at least, not to the extent you imagine. people said the same about Switch launch titles, but it was just how they planned it, they wanted to release the system with one main game and they wanted you to buy the system with that game.

It is just a decision they made early on, probably... either for technical/design reasons or to push Home subscriptions.

Deleted member 60096

User requested account closure
Banned
Sep 20, 2019
As entertaining as this whole drama has been, the aftermath months after release will be even better, when the mob starts to admit to each other that they all still bought the game

Jonneh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
UK
It seemed like it was only yesterday there was a hashtag recognising actual people worked on the game and now we're back to this nonsense

weekev

Is this a test?
Oct 25, 2017
Gamefreak has legitimately done alot of things wrong for a long time. The amount of vitriol, hate, and threats makes it hard to talk about any of it when they're already getting shit on instead of the constructive criticism they need though. It's impossible to talk about pokemon right now because the absolutely rabid fanbase fucking everything up for people who actually want to see the series move forward who have to sit silently and hope the mob moves on at some point. Funny how the people making shitfits are the ones hurting it the most.
Omg so much this. People are acting like a family member has died. The game isn't even out yet and already people are falling over themselves with lazy dev rhetoric. Maybe let's wait till we see the full game and criticize fairly and constructively and maybe try to actually enjoy the game that is put in front of you. JFC

Larrikin

Oct 25, 2017
Gamefreak has legitimately done alot of things wrong for a long time. The amount of vitriol, hate, and threats makes it hard to talk about any of it when they're already getting shit on instead of the constructive criticism they need though. It's impossible to talk about pokemon right now because the absolutely rabid fanbase fucking everything up for people who actually want to see the series move forward who have to sit silently and hope the mob moves on at some point. Funny how the people making shitfits are the ones hurting it the most.
That's the issue. For the better part of a decade, any genuinely thought out criticism was met with equally rabid fans quick to silence them. It's only now, that the games have crossed so many lines and showed such disregard for quality both from an aesthetic and mechanical perspective, as well as a blatant series of anti-consumer decisions (removing the national dex, EXP Share stuck on, GTS removed, and other removed features that may be considered spoilers) straight up lies such as this thread's OP, and on top of that being so shady and underhanded with how this information was (or in many cases, wasn't) presented to the public has finally allowed the criticism to outweigh the noise of those who would defend and apologise on GF's behalf.

Nuanced criticism has gotten nowhere, Game Freak has never listened and treat Pokemon as a money making machine. Remove as many features and cut as many costs as you can while still releasing a product that is technically 'new'. Sell 14m copies. Rinse, repeat. Now that they've finally gone too far I think the response is justified, because MAYBE it'll affect sales, which is clearly the only thing that they care about.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
The problem here is that Gamefreak outright went out of their way to state that the reason why the Dex cut happened was to focus on improving the graphics and reworking the models - and now, it seems like the graphics are a step backward from Let's Go, and the models are the exact same as the ones used in Sun and Moon.

If they didn't say that, very few people would be complaining about this.
Fair point,
though tbh when i initially read that statement i thought it was to be a overall point for HD assets and models in the games. A Switch HD title gonna take up more resources than what we had on 3DS and its not just limited to the Pokemon models. The models were actually the thing that people had the least issues with from what i read.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
If this is something that was so easily confirmed to be false, then why would Gamefreak lie about it in the first place?
Because their fanbase will vehemently defend them until it's proven beyond a shadow of a doubt that they're lying.

And then their fanbase will pretend that it was obvious all along and that the people pointing it out now really need to move on.

Cudpug

Nov 9, 2017
The negativity around this game is getting really annoying to encounter on various websites I'm active on. Every tiny little thing seems to get blown out of proportion and turned into a controversy. It's just a video game, jeez. It's going to be fun and it'll be decently made. People really need to grow up.

Apollo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Probably because many elements of the models from the shadow/light maps, textures, rendering techniques etc. actually had to be remade from scratch and they felt that those details were too esoteric to the casual layman to detail. A model is more than just the tris and wireframes. I don't know why people are shocked at the revelation. Most people assumed the raw models themselves were the same since day one.

This is probably it, yeah. It doesn't take a detective to see that the models for the older Pokémon are pretty clearly the same, but getting all of them to work on Switch, making sure they look acceptable in different contexts (Wild Area, Dynamaxing, Camp, etc) doubtlessly took no small amount of effort. And they're going to have to go through similar amounts (or more) of effort in successive games with whatever features and mechanics they introduce.

Deleted member 31092

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Even if they did, they will rework them sooner or later, 3DS models won't last forever. i think this is a move that had to be done sooner or later. they choose that time to be now.

They should have communicated the issue better but i'm used to bad communication and silence from Japanese companies, which hurts them a lot (in my opinion).

I don't really think it was rushed. at least, not to the extent you imagine. people said the same about Switch launch titles, but it was just how they planned it, they wanted to release the system with one main game and they wanted you to buy the system with that game.

It is just a decision they made early on, probably... either for technical/design reasons or to push Home subscriptions.

There are plenty of technical problems in the game and poorly implemented systems tho, it's not just the Dex cut.

Pop is seriously the worst on Switch I've ever seen, game is very, very light on content, some climax cutscenes are 23 steps behind Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon on the 3DS, there is barely any post game.

Akiller

Oct 25, 2017
Imagine if GF had to make the models from scratch, the hashtag would have been "#BringBackRegionalDex".

Status
Not open for further replies.