• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Horohorohoro

Jan 28, 2019
I honestly can't get over the fact that their solution to not wanting to design interior battle areas wasn't just to move those battles to an outside area, but to just have you battle in the fucking void instead.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
So you're okay with this argument? That the shareholders making more money is what is most important?

I want to understand if this is your stance.
To be fair the series wouldn't exist without those investors, and them making a return isn't a bad thing. I'm more worried about how GF isn't being a good steward of the franchise and I believe will slowly run it into the ground as they keep depleting goodwill with each launch.

"Video game franchise exploits IP with repeated cash grabs for short-term returns -> IP is now worth less long-term" is a tale as old as time. Just ask Atari

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
To be fair the series wouldn't exist without those investors, and them making a return isn't a bad thing. I'm more worried about how GF isn't being a good steward of the franchise and I believe will slowly run it into the ground as they keep depleting goodwill with each launch.

"Video game franchise exploits IP with repeated cash grabs for short-term returns -> IP is now worth less long-term" is a tale as old as time. Just ask Atari

Harcore fan goodwil is at an all time low.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
I honestly can't get over the fact that their solution to not wanting to design interior battle areas wasn't just to move those battles to an outside area, but to just have you battle in the fucking void instead.
It's like the Animus loading zone from Assassin's Creed but instead of being a mindless time-killer while the game loads it's where the primary gameplay takes place.

Horohorohoro

Jan 28, 2019
It's like the Animus loading zone from Assassin's Creed but instead of being a mindless time-killer while the game loads it's where the primary gameplay takes place.
It isn't even just random battles either! So far, the ones we've seen like this are a battle against the evil team grunts, a battle against one of your rivals, and every single battle within a gym. It's ONLY important battles that take place in the void like this.

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
Dying at people finally getting another jerk rival but the game still makes him weak. Can never win

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018

Presumably GameFreak is a publicly traded company and is beholden to their stockholders. A company's purpose under capitalism is to grow every year over the last. So they can't really be a "good steward" if the stockholders believe releasing a subpar game to tie in with merchandise and anime is more profitable than delaying it.

Serif

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
The gym trainer battles taking place in a colored void is baffling considering they already have the stadium modeled and these are battles that only take place in 8 separate interiors in the game that every player is guaranteed to go through in the main campaign. This was jarring in the demo and it's still jarring now, especially since we've seen Milo's gym.

Oct 26, 2017
Actually I have a theory for that. I belive they are going to do that because nowadays most people only consider the latest game in the series, as its cumulative, you would get all the content of previous entries (Pokémon) in the latest one.

Now this is no longer true. You have to buy more entries if you want to have all the Pokémon. That increases the value of each individual entry and the replayability, as you now need every game in a generation to get to use all Pokémon.

I think that, if I'm right, in the long run this will be a great strategy as people will buy more games to get to use their favorites.

Do you really think people are that dumb that they will buy games just because of the Pokemon in it and nothing else? In that case, then why isn't Game Freak more forthcoming about who's in the game?

Your "theory" is pure unadulterated nonsense. Would help that you don't look at everything solely with a business lens.

Apopheniac

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Well, yeah. Pokémon makes more money from merchandise than the games. Why would a company want to get less money?

I'm not defending this, but really, that's the logical way to do it.
This is a really great point, and I'm glad someone pointed it out.

Really, if anything, Game Freak is putting far too much effort into the video games, considering how low the ROI is. What's the point in shelling out billions of yen for AAA production quality when a bunch of entitled whiners are going to mock you anyway? It'll sell the same regardless, and it's just a distraction from merchandising.

In fact, why even bother making video games to begin with? I'm sure the merch on its own will sustain the franchise's profits for years on end. No screwing around with metagames, no pesky technology, and of course, none of this kvetching from these pitiful gamers. It's out of the goodness of their hearts that such a useless product as a video game is released, and frankly, these so-called "Pokémon fans" don't deserve them, especially at the cost of efficiently milking the cash cow.

Nov 15, 2018
Presumably GameFreak is a publicly traded company and is beholden to their stockholders. A company's purpose under capitalism is to grow every year over the last. So they can't really be a "good steward" if the stockholders believe releasing a subpar game to tie in with merchandise and anime is more profitable than delaying it.

Isn't Gamefreak privately owned? So they have no shareholders?

Elshoelace

Oct 25, 2017
Ok, watched the gif showing trainers disappearing to see what the fuss was about. My god, if that is how it is Friday lol. Was pretty down on this game til the new mons leaked and got hyped with all the new designs, but now Im back to worried about the quality.

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Man what a god damn trainwreck so far. Void backgrounds? Pokemon looking the same as their let's go models? Stupid new catching requirements? What's next? Not being allowed to trade Pokemon at all or only with certain requirements? Lol

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
That's why my suggestion has always been that they need another team to work on games simultaneously. I know it's unreasonable to ask for fewer Pokemon games just like it's unreasonable to ask for fewer Marvel movies — they just make too much moolah. But at the cost of a moderate increase in expense making the game (compared to the revenue they bring in at least) they could double the amount of time each team has to work on each title which would really help in not releasing these shoddy products. Nintendo as a whole's business model is centered around being smart and not devaluing its IPs for short-term gains, and that's partially why Game Freak's approach sticks out like a sore thumb among other Nintendo published titles

Oct 26, 2017
Okay so I understand that Game Freak doesn't want to drown out the music, but the crowd noise is way way way way way too low in the gym battles.

Makes the gym feel completely dead.

DaToonie

Oct 26, 2017
Seeing a stream where fire bug almost evicerated the player's entire team. I swear wild Pokemon are a bigger struggle than actual trainer battles, from what I've seen, lmao.

Deleted member 3815

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Which is why the game should have a longer development cycle.

Then the argument is "but they have a whole merchandising line and anime to key up!" At that point, the defense is that it's important that the shareholders make as much money as possible rather than release the best game possible.

We live in a capitalist society, the shareholders don't care about making the best Pokémon game ever. They only care about making as much money as possible quickly as they can and without spending any money.

Yes the main series needs a longer development time but unfortunately due to the nature of the Pokémon IP, that is not going to happen.

Gamefreak does not do updates unless it's life or death like the XY glitch

That is just straight up false;

X and Y patches update notes,

Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire patches update notes;

Sun and Moon Patches update notes;

Ultra Sun and Moon Patches update notes;

Pokémon Let's Go Pikachu and Eevee;

Also Ruby and Sapphire also got patch updates to fix the berry glitch and the Japanese Diamond and Pearl also got patch updates to fix the glitch where the player could use surf in door to surf out of bound and get themselves trapped.

Horohorohoro

Jan 28, 2019
The third gym leader looks like he might have a more difficult team, but Dynamax water moves trivialize it. It literally makes it rain, lol

Oct 25, 2017
Yes the main series needs a longer development time but unfortunately due to the nature of the Pokémon IP, that is not going to happen.
Honestly is there any reason the games can't just be released after the TCG and anime launch? In fact, that might even build anticipation for the games if they release 6 months to a year afterwards if you think about it.

Serif

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
So, I remember a lot of people speculating that the first train station had additional detail in the past few months:
j3whh0cz26t31.jpg

Going back to the stream footage (27:54) these details appear to not be there, so I think it's just a different station. One could argue it's a passage of time but that doesn't explain the mural.

Biske

Nov 11, 2017

Yeah its odd... how hard is it to come up with like... a handful of generic battle areas. "Grass area, there are rocks around its amountain area, etc etc"

cainhxrst

Nov 10, 2018
Your first battle with Marnie is in the same white void, lol.
So, I remember a lot of people speculating that the first train station had additional detail in the past few months:
j3whh0cz26t31.jpg

Going back to the stream footage (27:54) these details appear to not be there, so I think it's just a different station. One could argue it's a passage of time but that doesn't explain the mural.

oops. might have to delete a few tweets now LOL. This is really bizzare though. Literally identical but one has more asset density than the other.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
This is a really great point, and I'm glad someone pointed it out.

Really, if anything, Game Freak is putting far too much effort into the video games, considering how low the ROI is. What's the point in shelling out billions of yen for AAA production quality when a bunch of entitled whiners are going to mock you anyway? It'll sell the same regardless, and it's just a distraction from merchandising.

In fact, why even bother making video games to begin with? I'm sure the merch on its own will sustain the franchise's profits for years on end. No screwing around with metagames, no pesky technology, and of course, none of this kvetching from these pitiful gamers. It's out of the goodness of their hearts that such a useless product as a video game is released, and frankly, these so-called "Pokémon fans" don't deserve them, especially at the cost of efficiently milking the cash cow.

damn dude lol you really went for it

cosigned

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
oops. might have to delete a few tweets now LOL. This is really bizzare though. Literally identical but one has more asset density than the other.

It's not the first time. The Celadon hotel in Pokemon Red/Blue is a copy/pasted Pokemon Center, to the point of having an invisible PC.

Serif

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

Yeah I don't blame people for thinking it was the same location with more detail. I thought so too especially cause the 'text' is the same, but it may just be Galarian for 'Station' or 'Departure' and not an actual in-game location name.

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
j3whh0cz26t31.jpg

Maybe a different station? It is weird

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Oh c'mon nooooooo :(

Not expecting but I was told about a hundred times that those would be completely new models with new rigs etc which after some time I believed in cause all those Pokemon experts and game developers told me.

Bah.

I'll just say it. GTS has been potentially removed.

Only options on the trade menu are wonder trade and Link Trade like in let's Go. Streamers have not used them for fear of Nintendo ninjas so there's a small glimmer of hope that it might be behind Link Trade.