• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Oh Twitch is doing a Pokemon marathon for Indigo league. That's actually kind of neat

AllMight1

Oct 27, 2017
I'll try to break it down succinctly:

-Ever since generation 5, the route and region design has gotten more linear and railroaded, with less exploration and interconnectivity. I think this only became especially problematic in generation 6 and has only become moreso as time goes on.
-The story frequently intruding on the player's experience by having NPCs run up to you and spout exposition. In the older games, you could spend hours without having a "cutscene." Now they seem to be just about every other route.
-Dungeons have been simplified if not removed entirely. These were usually rewarding and encouraged patience and persistence, but now there is little tension traveling from place to place.
-Less things to do after the credits roll. Previous games often had special battle facilities, new areas to explore and trainers to battle, etc. Ever since XY, it feels like the game is mostly over once the credits roll.
-Difficulty options being taken away from the player. The level curves have become more forgiving, and this game took away the ability to turn off inflated EXP, making the game especially easy. Self-imposed challenges are much more difficult now.

That's just a quick and dirty. Again, it's only my opinion and I'm not representative of everyone. But I hope it helps inform.

Thanks, it really does inform. I'm not the biggest pokemon fan, but i've played a lot of gen 1-3 gen 5, i dabbled with X and Moon but not fully finishing them, so while i'm not the biggest fan i've enjoyed the games and I can at least understand your views.
Thank you very much.

Like not to answer from him but alot of his complaints have been common among certain players

Immense linearity, low difficulty, lack of substancial content post game, and alot of handholding are the common complaints recent games have had that have been amplified in Sword and Shield

The thing is none of those things are that bad and take away from the experience but if it's annoyed you for the past games then it's definitely going to frustrate you this time. So it's an alright even good game but one that fails to live up to expectations especially for all the compromises made over the years such as making Let's Go as a stop gap that wasn't even going to try to appeal to long time fans, and for cutting Pokemon from the game and not having them be accessible in the game inspite of offering a new service to store and transfer Pokemon into the game

I appreciate it, might actually cancel the pre order and wait to see if they sell it cheaper later due to sales and possibly mixed reception.

Deleted member 41183

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 18, 2018
So can you get any of the Alolan Forms in game or are they transfer only?

The Alola Forms for the Pokemon who are in the Galar dex seem to be coded in there, so they're probably transfer only.

iirc, Yamask and Meowth are the only Galar variants for which the original forms are available within SWSH itself (as you need them to get their evolutions + complete the dex).

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017

So, good news, this seems to imply that previously taught TRs can be relearned from the move relearner.

Bad news, for Pokemon with a very large amount of relearnable moves the game crashes when attempting to do so... Should be an easy patch though.

Deleted member 29464

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
So any clarification on what the battle tower equiv is? Does it allow customisable music? Is it true no characters and bosses appear in it?

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
Apperently yamask evolves into runerigus by... getting it's HP to 49 or lower and then walking below a stone monument in the wild area...

You know, i ... really like those strange evolution methods. I'm just worried that those are easy to miss. Do you per chance know if there's some NPC or lore entry in the game that hints at this particular evolution?

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
I've given up. It seems like the people defending it are hellbent on misrepresenting the critics and their issues with the game. I think it's clear they have no intention to acknowledge even a single flaw even if it's valid. Not sure if you've seen Serebii's posts here, but Joe outright refused to accept continuous criticism as criticism. He and other users believe that "banging on and on" about an issue, regardless of your attitude and behavior, is still toxic and an asshole thing. Basically, the only form of criticism that is legitimate and valid is if we complain it once and twice then shut up.

Also, they blame the behavior of harassers on ALL critics of SwSh. They said that we're contributing to an outrage environment by repeatedly complaining and that if someone does something out of line, that's the fault of everyone else who voiced out their complaints as well. The us vs them mentality is so strong that we're all grouped together. We're treated like a monolith. Everything that went wrong is the fault of the "toxic community".

I don't really want to make political comparisons since this is just a video game, but as a Chinese person, I can tell you this is how people reacted to the Hong Kong protests. Many citizens want the protestors to get hurt or get killed because of the actions of a violent few. Every protestor is grouped together as one because they're a threat to the status quo and a nuisance to those who don't care about social change. So while the severity of the events are incomparable (obviously protesting is more severe than being dissatisfied with a video game), but the social process is the same. More like this is the social process that occurs every time a group challenges the status quo, meh.

We're bad because we're on the "negative" side. It doesn't matter what our actions are or whether our points are valid. Because we are negative, we contribute to toxicity of others even if we aren't toxic ourselves. That's their perspective. So you literally can't convince them otherwise because their entire perspective hinges on us for being negative and terrible for complaining in the first place.
I have literally said that legitimate criticism is being drowned out by the harassers etc. and the series could end up worse due to it.

Don't make assumptions about me please. I don't say everyone with complaints is causing problems.

Yes and no.

Yes, the models appear to be derivatives of the originals in their wireframe (many have different tri counts but could be worked out via subdivision)

No, there's more to models than just the wireframes. We don't actually have enough information to say for sure

Last edited:

TriGen

Oct 27, 2017
So the Eurogamer review got me intrigued. How do you evolve Farfetch'd?
I literally just came here to ask this. It mentioned evolving after needing many battles but do we know how many and if it has to fight or just be in the party? Or was that description misleading and it's something else? It's curious because Eurogamer said good luck figuring out how to evolve it, but using it in battles seems like an easy natural thing.

Last edited:

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Have we figured out if Dynamaxing Shedinja yet keeps it a 1 HP or gives it the game breaking almighty 2 HP.

This are the serious questions I need to know the answers to.

TheGamingNewsGuy

One Winged Slayer
Nov 5, 2017
EJTRLgqXkAEJTaD.jpg

Deleted member 60992

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2019

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
yes they are if their base counter part is in the game like NinetaThey need to be transferred in from Home.

you have to transfer the Alolan forms in from Home to be able to use them but their base forms needs to be in the game like Ninetails.

Basically what I need to confirm for my chart. I'm going to mark the additional 35 and Alolans with a orange background to indicate they are in the game code, but need to be transferred in or wait for a post-launch event (Which I assume most of those outside the main dex are.)

Estarossa

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Are the additional 35 part of in-game Pokedex? If not then wouldn't they need to patch their entries in? Unless there was already a way to expand the Pokedex postgame