• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017

Deleted member 1849

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I said this before, but people shut me down as if I were talking out of my ass: If GF never talked about models or hyped up that they made cuts to increase quality, NO ONE would have taken such extremes to critique model quality within a game.

We sat through crappy performance on the 3DS games, with "high resolution, future proofed models" being a perfectly fine explanation.

Had they not opened their mouths and tried to use "new models from scratch" as a reason for the cut, reusing those models would not only be fine - it would have been what everyone expected.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Iirc there was a dude who hacked a bunch of masterballs which seemed to freeze his game but that's a seldom occurrence and it wasn't the infamous Cinderace soft lock.

I saw another one happen too and someone pointed out...what if auto-save was included because this happens way too often?

UnworthY

Nov 10, 2019
Iirc there was a dude who hacked a bunch of masterballs which seemed to freeze his game but that's a seldom occurrence and it wasn't the infamous Cinderace soft lock.

I saw another one happen too and someone pointed out...what if auto-save was included because this happens way too often?

I mean it's a good headcanon but I pray not.

Oct 28, 2019
always a good sign when you have to break out "it's fake news" to defend something

There are three tweets sourced, two show the same clip, the other tweets that he has read exactly what the entire article describes, this is just a circular source.

Nonsense article. It extrapolates from that the streamers have used cheats to alter 'animations, graphical effects, and the artistic style'.

Deleted member 176

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There are three tweets sourced, two show the same clip, the other tweets that he has read exactly what the entire article describes, this is just a circular source.

Nonsense article. It extrapolates from that the streamers have used cheats to alter 'animations, graphical effects, and the artistic style'.
Oh for sure. I'm talking about the people who see the game streamed for 20 hours and reply with "clearly this is hacked to look bad"

Deleted member 42102

Banned
Apr 13, 2018
Me expecting good hair options in a Pokemon game after all this time

51yeDQJzHRL._SX258_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
It's hilarious to me GF could have easily avoided this whole modeling issue by just never bringing it up, no one cares that they're reused.

What's crazy here is the asset reuse would work in their favor, as people would be more accepting of the serviceable-but-not-good quality of the animations knowing they have 800 Pokemon they're modeled to be used by. Their remarks only made it all worse.

Jonneh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
UK
Game Informer: 8/10
"A breath of fresh air for the Pokemon franchise, though not quite a Breath of the Wild."

Nintendo Life: 10/10
"Pretty soon, fans will look back and laugh at the fact that they were ever worried at all."

EGM: 8.5/10
"But at the end of the day, a fun game's a fun game, and Game Freak still knows it best."

IGN: 8/10
"And while the amount of linearity is undeniably disappointing, there's still plenty to love in Nintendo's latest."

Destructoid: 8.5/10
"I stayed up until 4AM last night to finish this game by review time, and I've had a pretty, pretty, pretty good journey."

GameSpot: 7.5/10
"It's hard not to wish things were brighter in foggy not-London."

Eurogamer: (Recommended)
"That said, Pokemon's glory days might be behind it. But like an old dog, Nintendo can still learn tricks where it counts."

Kotaku: (Unscored)
"I named my Scorbunny after my ex-boyfriend in fear of these divisive releases, but in the end I really wish I hadn't done that. All is well in Galar, chaps."

Stevivor: 3/10
"Hideo Kojima has once again tricked millions into believing he is everything that he is not."
Why aren't these in the review OP??

Egida

Oct 27, 2017
So the dexit, the reused models, the lack of gts, forced Exp. share... we're all the doings of a malicious streamer? Damn you malicious streamer!

Dec 2, 2017
"A breath of fresh air for the Pokemon franchise, though not quite a Breath of the Wild."

"Pretty soon, fans will look back and laugh at the fact that they were ever worried at all."

"But at the end of the day, a fun game's a fun game, and Game Freak still knows it best."

"And while the amount of linearity is undeniably disappointing, there's still plenty to love in Nintendo's latest."

"I stayed up until 4AM last night to finish this game by review time, and I've had a pretty, pretty, pretty good journey."

"That said, Pokemon's glory days might be behind it. But like an old dog, Nintendo can still learn tricks where it counts."

"I named my Scorbunny after my ex-boyfriend in fear of these divisive releases, but in the end I really wish I hadn't done that. All is well in Galar, chaps."

"Hideo Kojima has once again tricked millions into believing he is everything that he is not."

Brilliant.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I can just imagine Trump right now going "well I'm sure glad this Pokemon thing took the heat off me"

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017

If even only half of these turn out to be true, it will be mighty impressive.

And sad.

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

We're gonna watch and see how accurate this post is in a little while (probably right on the mark)

I guess it's good that I know you guys will talk about them in here because I think I would like to contain myself to only one contentious Pokemon thread a day lol

Oct 25, 2017
The exact thing was done with prime 4.

Metroid is a B-tier franchise that is weirdly popular with some Western audiences. Nintendo can delay it all they way for street cred even if the final product loses money in a way that very few companies would ever be willing to do. Would the total sales of the entire series combined even land on Nintendo's top 50 selling games?

EDIT: Answer is yes. All together it would land 22nd.

Last edited:

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018

This hasn't gained traction yet and hopefully won't, but a spanish fansite is claiming the game has none of the issues seen in the leaked gameplay and that they are the result of bad cheat codes. Now I dunno if they literally mean everything, but if they do then defense of the games had gotten intolerable.
It's Nintenderos.com, they're completely unreliable.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Metroid is a C-tier franchise that is weirdly popular with Western audiences. Nintendo can delay it all they way for street cred even if the final product loses money. Would the total sales of the entire series combined even land on Nintendo's top 50 selling games?
I mean prime is a AAA series regardless of sales. Rebooting the game probably sunk millions.

And yes the series as a whole has near 20 million sales.

UnworthY

Nov 10, 2019
Metroid is a C-tier franchise that is weirdly popular with some Western audiences. Nintendo can delay it all they way for street cred even if the final product loses money. Would the total sales of the entire series combined even land on Nintendo's top 50 selling games?

Why must Metroid slander be in a Pokémon thread?

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I think I'll mainly stick to this thread. Don't want to accidentally spoil stuff for people trying to go in blind.

Personablue

Feb 10, 2019
I got my game yesterday from a local shop. I have been playing for 11 hours and this whole overleveled Pokemon has been exaggerated. I have battled every trainer on the routes, never actively avoided wild battles, even explored the wild area for 2 whole hours and my pokemon were always same level or just one level above the gym leader. The game seems shorter though , the story is just go from one gym to another. Lore seems non existent at least compared to games like DPPt. Just completed the 5th gym

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
I know there's a review thread, but I wanted to post this here from the Eurogamer review. No dungeons, nothing more challenging than the Viridian Forest.

"In fact, Pokémon Sword and Shield is entirely dungeonless. There is no route or cave or building or wood more complex than Red, Blue and Yellow's Viridian Forest, the tutorial pseudo-dungeon at the start of generation one. Nothing in the game comes close to even Mt. Moon or Rock Tunnel, let alone the twelve floors of warp-pad mayhem in Silph Co. - all first-generation locations that were fully realised in Pokémon Let's Go Pikachu and Let's Go Eevee, both ostensibly remade versions of the classic games, but for children."

So disappointing.

UnworthY

Nov 10, 2019
I got my game yesterday from a local shop. I have been playing for 11 hours and this whole overleveled Pokemon has been exaggerated. I have battled every trainer on the routes, never actively avoided wild battles, even explored the wild area for 2 whole hours and my pokemon were always same level or just one level above the gym leader. The game seems shorter though , the story is just go from one gym to another. Lore seems non existent at least compared to games like DPPt. Just completed the 5th gym
I know there's a review thread, but I wanted to post this here from the Eurogamer review. No dungeons, nothing more challenging than the Viridian Forest.

"In fact, Pokémon Sword and Shield is entirely dungeonless. There is no route or cave or building or wood more complex than Red, Blue and Yellow's Viridian Forest, the tutorial pseudo-dungeon at the start of generation one. Nothing in the game comes close to even Mt. Moon or Rock Tunnel, let alone the twelve floors of warp-pad mayhem in Silph Co. - all first-generation locations that were fully realised in Pokémon Let's Go Pikachu and Let's Go Eevee, both ostensibly remade versions of the classic games, but for children."

So disappointing.

Wait...no dungeons AT ALL??!